Canton, NY
St Lawrence University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St Lawrence University

Max

I love St. Lawrence. There is nothing I would change about it. Being from the midwest, not many people know about SLU and I get a lot of "where is that?" People who go to St. Lawrence love this school and there is no doubt about it.

I love St. Lawrence. If you are outgoing, motivated and love to stay busy you need to apply. I have been able to be involved with all different groups across campus all four years. Infact it is encouraged.

Students at SLU know how to study. Students at SLU also know how to play. There is a very strong work hard play hard attitude at St. Lawrence. With so many opportunities to go outside and play, I work hard all week so that I can unplug on the weekends and go hiking, climbing or paddling. Classes at SLU are awesome and the professors really facilitate that. The classes are all very small which makes discussion and class participation mandatory. If you sit in the back and don't talk, you will not succeed so you better learn to share your thoughts with others! The most unique class I have taken at SLU was a class titled 'Neanderthals'. Unfortunately they do not offer it any more. We would read papers and articles discussing early humans and our class final was learning how to make ancient knives out of stones with which we butchered a sheep and then cooked it for dinner. WILD!! My favorite class I have taken was called "Ecology of Lakes and Rivers". It was a field based class doing all sorts of sampling of lakes and rivers in St. Lawrence county. We got to learn lots of very valuable skills, many of which I have been able to apply during internships. The class also pushed me towards a career as I now want to get involved with Fishery Management and stream and lake ecology.

At St. Lawrence we have two very distinct sterotypes. We have 'lax bros' and 'Crunchy outdoorsy folks'. There is a very strong preppy lax bro type at St. Lawrence but there is also a group of people who love to be outside. It is a great balance and by no means causes conflict. There are more sterotypes I am sure but I think those two are the most dominant. Either way, St. Lawrence students are very active and both groups of people and even everyone at St. Lawrence takes advantage of being outside and active. It is one of the big reasons I love St. Lawrence.

Caitlin

The size, location and type of student body creates a tight-knit community that is unique to St. Lawrence!

College is most simply a resource to earn a degree with which you can pursue a more established job in the future. My college experience will give me this and so much more than I could imagine. St. Lawrence is a place where you can flourish as a student, coworker, friend and neighbor. Emerson wrote, "to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." St. Lawrence gives students opportunities to explore and help define themselves, while establishing that individuality is encouraged. The tight-knit community of the student body, remote location of the school, and small number of students allows everyone to interact with one another, no matter their differences. I have discovered who I am through my college experience, and have learned the importance of individuality in everything I do!

Students who look for a tight-knit community, dedicated to their work, and eager to learn and have fun!

Jeremy

The advice I would give myself would be the take the process slow and not rush it because the next four years of your life is huge. It dictates how the rest of your life you possibly play out. You have to understand that college life isn't going to be easy, the transition is hard. Living away from home, being independent, and looking after yourself is challenging. You have to try your best to maintain your grades and seek out help if you need it, never hesitate to ask; its never too early. Ask your professors for help, if you show that you want help your professors will work with you. I'm not telling you not to have fun, but you have to be aware of your surroundings and what you do. Some students might pressure you to do something, if you feel pressured don't do it. It will not hurt to say no, it's only defining you as a person. Have as much fun as you can but you have to realize that education is a powerful tool. School work first then everything else comes later.

The one thing St. Lawrence University lacks in, is diversity amongst the students and teachers. I truely feel St. Lawrence is making progress for affirmative action but for myself, I can barely see it. On campus there are numerous activities happening and yet, there is a lack of students of all races attending. Also, I feel the University should insert a race and ethnic course as a requirement because that will give students a better chance of understanding what they don't know, and it could possibly stop all the negative stereotypes. Other than that I enjoy this University.

The most frustrating thing about my school is when the winter arrives and the snow is covering all the pathways. There is no possilby way to walk, then it becomes icy and slippery. Literally it took the campus constodiates three to four days to clear the pathways, and on top of that they use this other element of salt. It's brown and it creates a huge mess on the floor. For me it isn't safe to walk and the salt gets caught up in the bottom of my shoes and usually has me to over extend my step.

Jonathan

If I had the opportunity to visit myself as a high school senior, I would offer advice regarding the philosopy of learning. During my highschool career, I believe my peception of academics was flawed. I worked for the grade, and from memory, I can not think of any other incentive that drove me otherwise. A focus upon the number is greatly detrimental, for it corrupts the purpose of learning, and prevents any evolution of "being". If I were to go back, I would urge my previous self to focus upon the rewards of learning, to embrace the intrinsic benefits of expanding the realm of "awareness". Secondly, If I were to visit my previous self, I would advise him to open his mind to all possibilities. In highschool, I was typically conservative in behaviour, which limited my proclivity to pursue risks, to chase perceived opportunities. I lacked the ambition to embrace the atypical, to imbibe the glory of new change and new light. From what I have experienced, I would urge my former self to dismiss closed minded perspectives for the reward of great opportunity. A single day should not pass without the excitement of attaining a new discovery.

St. Lawrence is an excellent choice for students who are academically engaged in a variety of fields, and wish to broaden their experiences and insights. In particular, St. Lawrence is designed for students who wish to acquire a broad education, a liberal learning experience. In addition, this particular school focuses upon "involvement", particularly in athletics and community engagement. If a student is engaged in high school and loves the endeavor of learning, St. Lawrence would be an excellent university.

I would not suggest this school to those who seek education in a "trade", or parochial, job oriented programs. St. Lawrence emphasizes that learning IS a career, and students develop their futures from their studies. Internships are plentiful for those who wish to seek employment experience, but the university is not intent on throwing students directly into the market. We strive to improve the conceptions, improve the conditions of the market. We see the big picture and refine it.

Chris

Beautiful campus, happy students, alumni connections, geology, business, pre-med, and division I hockey.

I would tell myself to work hard, but enjoy the last few months of being in high school and at home. I had no trouble whatsoever with the transition so I have no advice to give my younger self.

College is more than grades and academics. College is about preparing for life beyond it, for your professional career, for graduate school, for everything. Take good classes, pick major you actually like, and do the best that you can. Don't stress so much about the little things - there's a big picture at work. Make time for yourself, too. You can and should be social, get your work done and participate in campus activities, but you should also sleep and take care of your body and health. Sometimes, there will be problems, and they are not the end of the world. Be prepared to write lots of essays, for class, scholarships, grants, proposals, etc. Be prepared for a degree of dissapointment, but expect extreme joy and happiness. This is where you iron most of the kinks out of your life.

I wish I had known a bit more about the cold, and that I would switch my major, but generally, it's been what I expected.

A tie between the great school atmosphere and the beautiful surroundings. Canton, while small, is a great place to live. St. Lawrence does an amazing job of providing students with an environment they want to be in, from the variety of dorm life to the mulitude of school activities and clubs. There's always something going on, and no matter what your interest is, there will be something for you to do.

Shannon

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior, I would definitely have some advice for myself. The first thing I would say is that if you get a full-tuition scholarship, DO NOT PASS IT UP! Paying for college later in life as a working adult with kids is very difficult. Never pass up the opportunity for free money to go to college. The second thing I would say is to finish school before starting a family. I will never regret getting married and having my children, but it definitely makes working and going to school more difficult. I am now thirty one years old and still trying to finish my Bachelor?s degree. I got my AAS degree in Information Systems and was able to start my career in Information Technology, but with a job and a family, finishing my Bachelor?s degree has really been a challenge. I?ve had to start and stop several times due to varying circumstances. So those would be the two most important things that I have learned over the years since graduating from high school about finishing and paying for college.

Erika

The students at St. Lawrence University are very friendly and approachable. It's very outdoorsy with many clubs like the Outdoor Club that hold events like Peak Weekend where students go on a hiking trip and get to meet new, wonderful, smart people. Friends that you make in this campus will be friends with you for a long time.

Know how to time manage myself because it is very important. The first year you tend to go too crazy and get lost in the transition and that can sometimes affect your grades. Take things one step at a time and freshmen year is the year to make a lot of friends so go out and about and introduce yourself, you never know who you meet, they could be your next best friend or soul mate. Have fun and choose classes that you want to explore, don't just go into what you think you want to major because college can explose you to a world that you never imagined.

Someone that likes the outdoors and is willing to interact with people from different backgrounds. They need to like being in a small school environment and be very friendly.

Carlos

When it comes to college, students make sure it is what you want to do and it is your descision, parents let your kids grow and become the adults they were meant to be.

The community, everyone is friendly and upbeat. There is always someone willing to help others out

Paige

I think the best thing about St. Lawrence is the location. Some students get scared while visiting the campus because of it's isolated location in rural Northern, NY. After four years at SLU, I couldn't find one person who didn't fall in love with the area. The region really helps to shape who the student becomes. Because there are so many things to do on campus, and many opportunities off campus (outdoor activities, the Adirondacks, closeness to Ottawa and Montreal), it's hard to get bored. The campus has undergone some major improvements in the past ten years which has lead to an incredible place to go to school--from Senior Townhouses, a new student center, a great science center, and other improvements--St. Lawrence is definitely a "small city." School pride is contagious on campus, thanks to a very strong athletic program including Division I hockey. Many students support their friends in all events. Paired with some rich traditions (a winter festival, hockey games vs. Clarkson--a huge rival, and others) make for an exciting campus life. The community atmosphere on campus is great. It's impossible not to walk anywhere without seeing people you know (staff, faculty, fellow students), but at the same time you always meet new people. I'll never forget one night during my senior year where it snowed several, several feet in the course of an evening. There was a school sponsored "dance club" in the student center from 1am to 5pm. After walking through several feet of snow across campus to go and just check the event out, I was delighted, but not surprised to see what had to be half the student body there dancing like the weather wasn't a factor at all.

My freshman year, I met people from all over the U.S. and world. In my dorm, my roommate was from Canton, NY (where SLU is located), but met friends from New York City, upstate NY, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, California, Seattle, Colorado, Zimbabwe, and Kenya. Students interact with each other all the time. There are no cliques because students are involved with so many things. Politically, both sides of the spectrum are represented but a few more students tend to be liberal than conservative.

St. Lawrence was an incredible place to go to school. The camaraderie among students and alumni is quite impressive. If you're looking for a small school in a great location with big opportunities, St. Lawrence is definitely the place.

Not necessarily--at all. Many St. Lawrence students do come from New England, New York, and the mid-Atlantic states, but close to every state and several countries are represented on campus. Because financial aid is so generous, students come from all different types of socioeconomic backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, and orientations.

The professors are incredible...I went to their houses numerous times for dinner and study sessions. The administration is open for input and the president held open hours every week. Students are eager to be involved in the classroom. Studying abroad was a huge part of my experience at St. Lawrence, and the administration makes it really easy for students of any major to go abroad.

As a student, I always found that it was choosing something to do over finding something to do. There are strong involvements in athletics, clubs, intramurals, and the outing club/program. St. Lawrence definitely brings great people to campus...when I was a student I went to Guster, Mat Kearney, and Jason Levassuer, concerts, attended guest lectures but important political figures, and went to music and theater performances. There is a party life on campus but it's all a matter of what you choose to do. Sorority and fraternity life on campus are fun but definitely don't dominate the social scene. Their parties are fun too but students find themselves going to club sponsored parties, maybe the nearby bar, going off campus for a nice dinner, and having intimate gatherings with friends. There's something for everything. The soon to open campus Pub will add another great social element to campus to continue to encourage responsible drinking. There are plenty of things on campus for students to do if they're interested in partying, while at the same time the school sponsor alcohol free events ever weekend (movies, comedians, midnight breakfasts, just to name a few)!

All students are preppy white kids from New England.

St Lawrence University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.