Canton, NY
St Lawrence University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St Lawrence University

James

Parents, let your child pick the school they really want to go to, especially if that school promises the best future, and has the capability to follow through. Students, ask you parents for advise. I know that you are at the same stage I was at not too long ago, but they do know a lot more than they let on at first, so give them a chance to give their opinions before making a rash, life-changing decision.

The opposite of those people who shouldn't go here. Mostly people who party, are liberal, have no self-respect, and don't value personal responsibility. However, if considering a field in either Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Education, the programs supercede all other problems with the school. The programs are too well-developed to ignore.

Someone who doesn't enjoy a party school. Someone with conservative political values. Someone who doesn't do drugs. Someone who values personal responsibility.

abby

do college vists its the best way to really see the campus and the college

do college vists its the best way to really see the campus and the college

location and weather, lack of trasportaion to town

food and people the classes and the professors

It's important to remember that the decision should ultimately be up to the student. Attending a college because of its reputation or its financial aid package may not be the best factors to use when deciding on a school. Make sure to take overnight visits to your top schools to really understand how it might feel to go there; you'll get to visit classes, meet some of the people, hang out in the dorms. You'll get a glimpse at what both the academic and social life is at your schools. It may sound silly, but once you've done that, go with your intuition. I'd consider myself a pretty rational person, and I chose my college based on the financial aid package it offered me. I realize now that it probably wasn't the smartest choice, as I may have been happier at a college I got a better "feel" for when I did an overnight visit. If worst comes to worst, just remember, it's only four years!

The professors are generally amazing here; there are some "bad seeds" but most of them I've really enjoyed taking classes with. They're great at their jobs, generally friendly, and very accessible outside of class.

A person who's into outdoorsy things, helping the environment, and toting around brand name clothing would fit in perfectly here. Sports, especially hockey, are pretty big here. There are lots of rich kids here, too. Lots of environmental enthusiasts roam the campus.

Mary

Friendly and small, with lots of simular looking people from the New England area looking to have a good time.

Always take academics and financial aid into account, but what it really comes down to is the gut feeling. Go where you feel like you most belong or feel the most comfortable with the campus population. Doing an admissions overnight at a school can really help decide this.

If you want a big city, hate the cold, want huge greek life or need an extremely diverse/broad minded campus, SLU might not be for you.

St. Lawrence has a wealth of unique study-abroad programs. You can go just about anywhere and get the same amount of credit as you would staying on campus. I had the opportunity to study in Kenya, where I did several homestays and an internship at a community development center. I knew people who studied abroad two or three times while they attended SLU.

I would tell parents and students to think less about which colleges make the top ranks of US news and world report and more about what they want to do with the next four years. When students and parents visit colleges, they should pay attention to the students and professors they meet and the things that are happening on campus. Academically, the college experience is up to the individual, and so is the individual's future career and success. When students are choosing a college, they are choosing a new home and an environment that will shape them for the rest of their lives. Students should be looking for a college with classes and professors that engage them, as well as interesting people and activities. As far as making the most of the college experience: try all of the things you want to do and commit to the ones that you genuinely love. Attending college is not about building a resume, it is about exploring new ideas and finding the things you love to do.

St. Lawrence is such a close-knit community full of very friendly people. I'll always be able to call it home.

Katherine

The sense of community there is very strong, and you can feel it just by being there. The minute I stepped on the campus for my visit, I thought to myself "This is where I belong." Its kind of an intangible feeling that set this school apart from the others I was considering. The students are very open and down-to-earth and the professors were more than willing to help me in any way they could.

Trust your instincts. Reading books on colleges and looking through information on the internet can be very useful ways of determining what colleges you might want to look at. But when push comes to shove, the most important thing is how you feel when you are actually there. If you have the chance to visit a school, do. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions while you are there. Talk to students as well, and not just the ones who are giving you the tours. Pay attention to how you feel when you are there, and compare the way you feel at different colleges. If it feels like a good fit, chances are it probably is. Once you are at school, be an active participant in your education and be open to new experiences. Your professors are people too, and they generally like it when you talk to them. Some of my most unique opportunites (such as a free trip to Malaysia to do research, or a teaching assistant position) arose from a simple conversation with a professor. If something interests you in the slightest, give it a try and see what happens. And have fun too.

I wish that I had known more about abroad programs ealier. I did go abroad once, but if I could go back and do it again, I would have gone twice. I didn't really think about it as an option until I was a junior.

Kelly

Small school with emphasis on teaching. Located in small, rural, low-income town. Very active campus community. Unique off-campus study programs. Lots of things to do on campus. Option for double major. Students have a lot of freedom to take courses that interest them. Many ways to get involved on campus and in the community. All undergraduate students live on campus. Many diverse major and minor options. Environmentally and socially conscious.

Students should choose potential colleges based on their interests, and investigate the various academic, extracurricular, and social activities at each school. Visiting is also essential: the college may look great in the brochure (as most do), but a visit can tell you if the school feels like it would be the right fit. Don't be afraid to call the admissions office or student life office. There are usually many current students working in these departments who would be glad to talk to you on the phone or through email and give you an inside, student's perspective of life there. Take full advantage of everything your school has to offer. Attend lectures and special events, go to concerts and art exhibitions, sit in the stands or on the sidelines and cheer on your favorite sports team. Learn the traditional songs, jokes, and secrets of the school. Try a new sport or activity. Take a course in a department you are unfamiliar with. Who knows, you may discover a new passion and change your path completely. Smile at the people you pass on campus, and expand your circle of friends. Let your college experience make you the best you possible.

I was well prepared. Others may want to know that winter is long and cold, not much to do off-campus if you don't like the outdoors.

Meg

For me, the college experience starts well before junior and senior year of high school. Preparing for school is essential. Take the time to take difficult courses that will help you prepare for a college workload-- it will be well worth it. Some will tell you college is a piece of cake, and don't get me wrong-- it can be if you want it to be. But to get the most out of your education, take advantage of the courses that will intellectually challenge you, but also take ones that interest you. It's amazing how a communications class can somehow tie in to what you're learning in your global studies class. Outside of the classroom, embrace what the college or university has to offer. Join clubs, teams, or other activities-- or become a leader and start your own. You have a blank slate in college. You have the ability to draw and color in who you are, so take advantage of it!

St. Lawrence was a place where I was able to find who I was and who I wanted to be with the support of everyone on campus. It was an unimaginable experience for me.

Distance to airports. Closest one is Ottawa (about a 90 minute drive).

Skylar

College, like any experience, is about an equal balance of giving and receiving. I think that a great number of colleges would have been perfectly happy places for me to attend, but my experience is about investing time, effort, and care. I see so many students float through college with passing grades and bustling social lives, but many do not take the time to think about what they truly want from their time here on campus. College is about challenging yourself to thinking, knowing, and minding in different ways. I have made the choice to engage in the community around me; I participate in numerous extracurricular activities, and I hold a few positions of leadership on campus. I am not paying tuition to have just a fun experience, but I want to learn things about myself and the world around me in order to generate positive change. To any student looking to go to college, I would encourage that individual to get involved - challenge yourself. Take a class on something you have never heard of before. Try a new club with people much different than you are. Find what makes you happy and take control of your education.

Tuition is so expensive, but this is a problem that is reflected in all Northeastern private universities and colleges. The education with which I engage myself here at St. Lawrence is extremely valuable, but I do not think that value is necessarily inherent. I think college is about what you give and take to and from experience; my time here would not be nearly as valuable if I did not choose to engage within the community aroud me. I am slightly dissatisfied with those individuals on campus that come off as ignorant, arrogant, and apathetic to their experiences here.

I really like the sense of community here at St. Lawrence. I feel like part of different groups of people that are working towards making life here better. I think that the staff and faculty do a really wonderful job of integrating student opinion into administrative decisions. I have friends here, and I am able to explore myself academically and socially with great ease and fluidity.

Kevin

A small close knit community that includes all races and cultures and who work together to achieve a higher education and build on the individual.

Attend the school that you feel most comfortable with. Don't base your choice off of what others may believe or which school may commonly have a "better reputation."

I feel I was well prepared and informed for my arival at this school.

St Lawrence University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.