St Lawrence University

« See more reviews of St Lawrence University

The campus environment is incredibly positive compared to other colleges and universities I visited. Every college promises a great "experience." St. Lawrence insures that you will be prepared for your college with their comprehensive FYP (First Year Program). You are place in a "college" (a group that shares your initial areas of interest). This "college" becomes your base of dorm life, social life and academic development. St. Lawrence University does their best to make sure you are ready for your academic challenges. You are not a number at SLU.

Small school with emphasis on teaching. Located in small, rural, low-income town. Very active campus community. Unique off-campus study programs. Lots of things to do on campus. Option for double major. Students have a lot of freedom to take courses that interest them. Many ways to get involved on campus and in the community. All undergraduate students live on campus. Many diverse major and minor options. Environmentally and socially conscious.

The sense of community there is very strong, and you can feel it just by being there. The minute I stepped on the campus for my visit, I thought to myself "This is where I belong." Its kind of an intangible feeling that set this school apart from the others I was considering. The students are very open and down-to-earth and the professors were more than willing to help me in any way they could.

I love St. Lawrence and I'm so glad I chose to come here. I have a great group of friends and I hope to meet more people during my time here. My one wish would be that we break down the cliques that are present here and continue to grow as a St. Lawrence community. I also wish students would be more respectful when they go downtown. Defacing Canton gives our student body a bad name.

St. Lawrence has a wealth of unique study-abroad programs. You can go just about anywhere and get the same amount of credit as you would staying on campus. I had the opportunity to study in Kenya, where I did several homestays and an internship at a community development center. I knew people who studied abroad two or three times while they attended SLU.

The students at St. Lawrence University are very friendly and approachable. It's very outdoorsy with many clubs like the Outdoor Club that hold events like Peak Weekend where students go on a hiking trip and get to meet new, wonderful, smart people. Friends that you make in this campus will be friends with you for a long time.

St. Lawrence is a wonderful place to learn how to learn (which is more important than you may think), and how to think in addition to learning more about yourself. Our alumni connection is very strong and we had a 97% placement rate in 2007 and in 2008. Oh! And our food is very good!!!! I can't forget this amazing fact!! :)

small school means close friend networks. Intimate social environment. Small class sizes help students succeed academcially. There are plenty of parties but nothing like a big school, if partying is why your at school St lawrence is not a good choice. Cold winters, and gray skies until the spring.

SLU is a really great school and I fell in love on my first visit. I have only fallen in love with it even more since I've been here. There are so many advantages to being at a small school like this and the fact that everyone is so supportive and friendly makes it hard to be away from campus.

SLU was immediately impressive to me because my admission interview focused on me and what types of things I liked to do- not the school. No one tried to "sell" the school. Also, the financial aid was better than any other school I had considered.