St Lawrence University Top Questions

Natasha

We have tons of clubs and teams on campus. I am on the softball and track team, the Black Student Union, Orientation Leaders, and the Class Gift Giving Committee. Athletic events are extremely popular. Students usually leave their doors open. I met my closest friends through my FYP. People party on Thursdays and Saturdays usually. Frats and sororities are part of campus, but not overwhelming. Saturdays you can watch free movies in the student center, go to Pub 56, hang out with friends, go out to dinner, and more.

There are so many different clubs at St. Lawrence that there is something for everyone. Many students participate in sports, whether they are intercollegiate, intramural or club sports. Soccer games are always really fun to watch. To name a few of the different clubs on campus, there is the Outing Club (centered around outdoor activities), the advocates club (advocates of sexual violence), the Campus Kitchens project (taking left over food from the dining hall or donations from local farms and stores and making meals for people in town), Reading Buddies (working with elementary school kids to help them with their reading). These are just a few of the clubs, but there are so many more, and if they don't have the one you want, you can start your own. There IS Greek life at SLU, but there isn't a lot and it's not as big of a deal as it is in other places. Most people meet their closest friends Freshman year because you live together. There are always great events going on, whether it is a band playing at the "Java Barn" where people gather to dance and hang out, or there is a comedian, or a guest speaker, or a party put on by one of the clubs...there is never a lack of things to chose from if you are bored.

As a student, I always found that it was choosing something to do over finding something to do. There are strong involvements in athletics, clubs, intramurals, and the outing club/program. St. Lawrence definitely brings great people to campus...when I was a student I went to Guster, Mat Kearney, and Jason Levassuer, concerts, attended guest lectures but important political figures, and went to music and theater performances. There is a party life on campus but it's all a matter of what you choose to do. Sorority and fraternity life on campus are fun but definitely don't dominate the social scene. Their parties are fun too but students find themselves going to club sponsored parties, maybe the nearby bar, going off campus for a nice dinner, and having intimate gatherings with friends. There's something for everything. The soon to open campus Pub will add another great social element to campus to continue to encourage responsible drinking. There are plenty of things on campus for students to do if they're interested in partying, while at the same time the school sponsor alcohol free events ever weekend (movies, comedians, midnight breakfasts, just to name a few)!

Beth

The social life here at SLU is very active because 98{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our students live on campus (some commute and very few seniors live off-campus). Like I mentioned before, there are over a hundred different organizations to get involved with, tons of sports teams (club, intramural or varsity), and a good variety of ensembles and activities in the performing arts. The university and student entertainment groups are always bringing bands, speakers, lectures and other interesting and cool people to campus. Even though we have a strong academic school, we know how to have a good time and make sure that everybody is getting not only a well-rounded academic education, but a good social education as well. Some people wonder what the Greek life is like on campus. This campus doesn't have a very influential Greek life (we have 4 sororities: Kappa Delta Sigma, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, and Kappa Kappa Gamma..... and 2 fraternities: Alpha Tau Omega and soon to be back on campus is Beta Theta Pi). It is totally acceptable to join a fraternity/sorority and they definitely interact on campus, but it doesn't dominate the social scene.