St Lawrence University Top Questions

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't really change anything. I am happy with where I have gotten and have learned alot about myself along the way at college. The way I handled the process of getting to college really worked out well. The key was listening to my parents, not my friends, about what colleges look for in a strong application, and what steps I needed to go through in order to get my foot in the door. It was very important to visit the schools I was interested in before applying, not only because they will wave the application fee, but because you can learn more from stepping onto the campus than merely reading their website. So, if I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would really say that I should keep listening to my parents, establish a good rapport with the person sending my transcripts, visit the campuses more than once if necessary, and try to have some fun with my senior year. After all, its not about where you attend its about which school is going to give you the best base to succeed in whatever life throws your way.

tonisha

College is going to be hard work. There is so much to do in so little time, but I must not get carried away. I must not become too involved because it will cause me stress. I know I love being involved, but I have to make my decisions wisely. I will set up a schedule of my classes to set my priorities straight. I will do my homework as soon as I can so that I will have time to enjoy myself on the weekends. But, even so, I will not have too much fun. I will not drink because I've seen what drinking does to people. I do not want to be involved with that. I will make sure I meet with my advisor at least once a week to make sure he is updated with my plans. That way I will know what to do next. If I have any questions, I will be sure to get answers in any way I can. I will vist the career services office to build my resume and prepare myself for life after college right away. I know I want to be successful and college is where it starts.

Eryne

Remember who you are and where you come from. Your life experiences thus far are unique and valuable; you have something to offer the world. However, do not let the traditions and society from which you came limit the oportunities available to you in your future. There is a vast world awaiting your arrival. Society is transactional; you need to be able to give of yourself to the world around you, as well as accept new and exciting possibilities. Be a part of the world, make a difference, but do so without abandoning who you are. Know thy self, remain true, tolerate change, embrace differences, and seek understanding; only then will you succeed.

College is most simply a resource to earn a degree with which you can pursue a more established job in the future. My college experience will give me this and so much more than I could imagine. St. Lawrence is a place where you can flourish as a student, coworker, friend and neighbor. Emerson wrote, "to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." St. Lawrence gives students opportunities to explore and help define themselves, while establishing that individuality is encouraged. The tight-knit community of the student body, remote location of the school, and small number of students allows everyone to interact with one another, no matter their differences. I have discovered who I am through my college experience, and have learned the importance of individuality in everything I do!

The advice I would give myself would be the take the process slow and not rush it because the next four years of your life is huge. It dictates how the rest of your life you possibly play out. You have to understand that college life isn't going to be easy, the transition is hard. Living away from home, being independent, and looking after yourself is challenging. You have to try your best to maintain your grades and seek out help if you need it, never hesitate to ask; its never too early. Ask your professors for help, if you show that you want help your professors will work with you. I'm not telling you not to have fun, but you have to be aware of your surroundings and what you do. Some students might pressure you to do something, if you feel pressured don't do it. It will not hurt to say no, it's only defining you as a person. Have as much fun as you can but you have to realize that education is a powerful tool. School work first then everything else comes later.

If I had the opportunity to visit myself as a high school senior, I would offer advice regarding the philosopy of learning. During my highschool career, I believe my peception of academics was flawed. I worked for the grade, and from memory, I can not think of any other incentive that drove me otherwise. A focus upon the number is greatly detrimental, for it corrupts the purpose of learning, and prevents any evolution of "being". If I were to go back, I would urge my previous self to focus upon the rewards of learning, to embrace the intrinsic benefits of expanding the realm of "awareness". Secondly, If I were to visit my previous self, I would advise him to open his mind to all possibilities. In highschool, I was typically conservative in behaviour, which limited my proclivity to pursue risks, to chase perceived opportunities. I lacked the ambition to embrace the atypical, to imbibe the glory of new change and new light. From what I have experienced, I would urge my former self to dismiss closed minded perspectives for the reward of great opportunity. A single day should not pass without the excitement of attaining a new discovery.

I would tell myself to work hard, but enjoy the last few months of being in high school and at home. I had no trouble whatsoever with the transition so I have no advice to give my younger self.

College is more than grades and academics. College is about preparing for life beyond it, for your professional career, for graduate school, for everything. Take good classes, pick major you actually like, and do the best that you can. Don't stress so much about the little things - there's a big picture at work. Make time for yourself, too. You can and should be social, get your work done and participate in campus activities, but you should also sleep and take care of your body and health. Sometimes, there will be problems, and they are not the end of the world. Be prepared to write lots of essays, for class, scholarships, grants, proposals, etc. Be prepared for a degree of dissapointment, but expect extreme joy and happiness. This is where you iron most of the kinks out of your life.

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior, I would definitely have some advice for myself. The first thing I would say is that if you get a full-tuition scholarship, DO NOT PASS IT UP! Paying for college later in life as a working adult with kids is very difficult. Never pass up the opportunity for free money to go to college. The second thing I would say is to finish school before starting a family. I will never regret getting married and having my children, but it definitely makes working and going to school more difficult. I am now thirty one years old and still trying to finish my Bachelor?s degree. I got my AAS degree in Information Systems and was able to start my career in Information Technology, but with a job and a family, finishing my Bachelor?s degree has really been a challenge. I?ve had to start and stop several times due to varying circumstances. So those would be the two most important things that I have learned over the years since graduating from high school about finishing and paying for college.

Know how to time manage myself because it is very important. The first year you tend to go too crazy and get lost in the transition and that can sometimes affect your grades. Take things one step at a time and freshmen year is the year to make a lot of friends so go out and about and introduce yourself, you never know who you meet, they could be your next best friend or soul mate. Have fun and choose classes that you want to explore, don't just go into what you think you want to major because college can explose you to a world that you never imagined.

Carlos

When it comes to college, students make sure it is what you want to do and it is your descision, parents let your kids grow and become the adults they were meant to be.

Somphone

Students, if you are unsure of what you want. Do not attend college immidiately, start a semester or year later. This will help you prioritize and give you a better understanding of who you are. Parents, encourage your children to take summer courses so you do not have to pay as much. Also, have your child work. This will help motivate them to do better.

Always make sure you go to a school you feel that you can find yourself in because college is all about finding yourself and building your future. Do not rush into picking a school make sure you research all your options and try to stay the night at each university to get a feel for classes and campus life. Even if you are not interested in a certain area I still recommend checking out all that the school offers because in the end you never know what will happen. My number one piece of advice is to never limit yourself in anything and go for what ever makes you happy.

Eloise

Even if you have no idea what you really want to do with your time in college or the career that you want to pursue, the most important factor to consider is the quality of education you will receive and the environment that you will find yourself in for the duration of four years. If the faculty are inviting and accessible and you find that you "click" with the campus, the rest will fall into place. Academics are important and the real reason that we all go to college, but in the end your time spent outside the classroom will impact you just as much if not more than your your textbooks, lectures and labs. Try as many new things as possible, but remember that college is a time to define your character, not reinvent who you are, and the right combination of academics and extra curriculars will nurture who you will become.

It is very important to visit each school that you or your child applys to. I think some may be detered from the location of SLu.

emmanuel

pick where the most things you want to do are available. If you like to snowboard, ski, play a sport pick a place where you can do all three so if you can snowboard but can't play a sport you will only be happy only a part of the school year

Kamber

pick a college where the campus fits the personality, the academic program is compatible with lifegoals and varied to provide strong education basis in mulitple areas. Especially look for schools with low student to professor ratios... its prevents students from being a number rather than a person

course catologue, interviews of recent alums

The college process is a long and complicated one. It is important for parents and students to work together in the process. You should make sure to visit every school you go to. When there try to pick up a school newspaper and maybe talk to a student not affiliated with admissions, these things will give you a more acurate depiction of the school. You different types of schools to get a good feel for what will work best academically and socially for you. Once you get to school you should become involved with at least one thing that interests you. This is a great way to develop a social group and keep yourself busy on campus. Probably most importantly go to class and get your work done. College is an incredible experience, but it is important to remember that academics are the number one priortiy. If you make an effort to always get your work done first it will alleviate a lot of unecessary stress. College students have an abundance of free time, if that time is managed well it makes life much easier.

Don't ever rule a school out just because you think you might not fit in there. I considered changing schools Junior year, but I stuck it out and ended up making the best friends I've ever known. Giving up is never the answer.

Yesly

The advice that I would give parents is to not interfere with the college process and to let their children decide where they want to go.

I would tell the parent/students to visit as many schools as you want. Try and set up a tour of the school and try to spend a night at the school so you can get a good feel for it. Make sure the campus is in a good location. I believe that most people when they step onto a campus will know whether or not they will like the school. Also make sure you get involved with as many activities as possible on campus to socialize with the student body.

Find a place where you feel comfortable, and where you feel you can succeed and enjoy college.

I would tell them to spend an overnight at the school, and see if you can get a good feeling for what the school is like on weekends. You don't think it will be that important now but it will be once you're stuck there. Also, take the time to meet professors because it will give you a good feel for what kind of teachers the school employs.

Adrienne

Pay attention to the location of the school and how far away it is from your home. My home is only a little under two hours away from my school, but that is far enough that I have my own life here at school (my family rarely visits), yet going home for breaks is convenient. I can just drive my car, and I don't have to worry about traveling or the amount of luggage or anything. Also, definitely visit the campus. All schools look pretty in the brochures, but when you actually visit the school you get a feel for its nuances and for the social atmosphere. My chosen school was very open with the tours and such, and other schools i have toured made it seem like I was bothering them when i asked to see certain buildings or dorms. The school should WANT to show you their buildings and facilities. If they don't, then ask yourself, "What are they trying to hide?". If you can do an overnight stay with a student, definitely do it. You learn so much more about the school when you spend time with actual students, not just tour guides.

The best advice I could give someone about finding the right college is to go to a college that fits you. It should be the size you want in a community you have hobbies to partake in. Class size and the feeling you get on a visit will tell you a lot about how it will be attending there. Its a good idea to talk to some of the kids that go there and get their insight on what happens on campus before you decide if its the college for you. And also check out the menu at the dining hall, if its stuff you could see yourself eating thats good, but if you dont like it, youll still be stuck with it for 4 years once you are there. Go to college for you, not your family. Youll be the one spending 4 years of your life there.

To find the right college, you really need to visit the largest variety of campuses possible. You need to feel the atmosphere of both large and small schools, public and private, before you can make the right choice. Once you're there, it's important to get involved with everything you can think of/have time for. Join a club, try out for a team, even get an on-campus job; all these opportunities will allow you to meet new and interesting people.

jacqueline

Students should try to be as involved with the campus community as possible without letting it interfere with academic responsibilities-especially the free events since your tuition has an involvement with it. Try to participate in a sport, especially intramurals or a theatrical showcase because the friends you make there are those that'll stick by your side when you truly need it. When it comes to finding the right school, look for one that'll have the class size that'll suit you, along with the geography and location of the campus. If you like small communities, check out the campus to make sure it's fitting. If you dislike winter and snow, try not attending a school in the snow. Make sure the school offers what you need academically then worry about location, weather and extrecurriculars because that's why you are going to school, the fun stuff is simply a bonus, but a campus that has activities will help you destress as well as make frienships that'll last a lifetime!

Shoshanna

It takes time =]

Mwelwa

St. Lawernce or SLU as we call it, is an amazing place. There are not that many students here, becasuse we are a small liberal arts school, but what you gain are really great solid relationships. You get the chance to know people which is great. It's very cold in the North Country but you can not even tell because people are so kind and welcoming. The advice I would give to parents and students looking at schools, would be that students should really visit all the schools that they are considering. You never know until you get there. Don't let the price of a school dictate if you apply or not. Just believe in your choice and there is a way.

Parents, let your child pick the school they really want to go to, especially if that school promises the best future, and has the capability to follow through. Students, ask you parents for advise. I know that you are at the same stage I was at not too long ago, but they do know a lot more than they let on at first, so give them a chance to give their opinions before making a rash, life-changing decision.

abby

do college vists its the best way to really see the campus and the college

It's important to remember that the decision should ultimately be up to the student. Attending a college because of its reputation or its financial aid package may not be the best factors to use when deciding on a school. Make sure to take overnight visits to your top schools to really understand how it might feel to go there; you'll get to visit classes, meet some of the people, hang out in the dorms. You'll get a glimpse at what both the academic and social life is at your schools. It may sound silly, but once you've done that, go with your intuition. I'd consider myself a pretty rational person, and I chose my college based on the financial aid package it offered me. I realize now that it probably wasn't the smartest choice, as I may have been happier at a college I got a better "feel" for when I did an overnight visit. If worst comes to worst, just remember, it's only four years!

Always take academics and financial aid into account, but what it really comes down to is the gut feeling. Go where you feel like you most belong or feel the most comfortable with the campus population. Doing an admissions overnight at a school can really help decide this.

I would tell parents and students to think less about which colleges make the top ranks of US news and world report and more about what they want to do with the next four years. When students and parents visit colleges, they should pay attention to the students and professors they meet and the things that are happening on campus. Academically, the college experience is up to the individual, and so is the individual's future career and success. When students are choosing a college, they are choosing a new home and an environment that will shape them for the rest of their lives. Students should be looking for a college with classes and professors that engage them, as well as interesting people and activities. As far as making the most of the college experience: try all of the things you want to do and commit to the ones that you genuinely love. Attending college is not about building a resume, it is about exploring new ideas and finding the things you love to do.

Trust your instincts. Reading books on colleges and looking through information on the internet can be very useful ways of determining what colleges you might want to look at. But when push comes to shove, the most important thing is how you feel when you are actually there. If you have the chance to visit a school, do. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions while you are there. Talk to students as well, and not just the ones who are giving you the tours. Pay attention to how you feel when you are there, and compare the way you feel at different colleges. If it feels like a good fit, chances are it probably is. Once you are at school, be an active participant in your education and be open to new experiences. Your professors are people too, and they generally like it when you talk to them. Some of my most unique opportunites (such as a free trip to Malaysia to do research, or a teaching assistant position) arose from a simple conversation with a professor. If something interests you in the slightest, give it a try and see what happens. And have fun too.

Students should choose potential colleges based on their interests, and investigate the various academic, extracurricular, and social activities at each school. Visiting is also essential: the college may look great in the brochure (as most do), but a visit can tell you if the school feels like it would be the right fit. Don't be afraid to call the admissions office or student life office. There are usually many current students working in these departments who would be glad to talk to you on the phone or through email and give you an inside, student's perspective of life there. Take full advantage of everything your school has to offer. Attend lectures and special events, go to concerts and art exhibitions, sit in the stands or on the sidelines and cheer on your favorite sports team. Learn the traditional songs, jokes, and secrets of the school. Try a new sport or activity. Take a course in a department you are unfamiliar with. Who knows, you may discover a new passion and change your path completely. Smile at the people you pass on campus, and expand your circle of friends. Let your college experience make you the best you possible.

Meg

For me, the college experience starts well before junior and senior year of high school. Preparing for school is essential. Take the time to take difficult courses that will help you prepare for a college workload-- it will be well worth it. Some will tell you college is a piece of cake, and don't get me wrong-- it can be if you want it to be. But to get the most out of your education, take advantage of the courses that will intellectually challenge you, but also take ones that interest you. It's amazing how a communications class can somehow tie in to what you're learning in your global studies class. Outside of the classroom, embrace what the college or university has to offer. Join clubs, teams, or other activities-- or become a leader and start your own. You have a blank slate in college. You have the ability to draw and color in who you are, so take advantage of it!

Skylar

College, like any experience, is about an equal balance of giving and receiving. I think that a great number of colleges would have been perfectly happy places for me to attend, but my experience is about investing time, effort, and care. I see so many students float through college with passing grades and bustling social lives, but many do not take the time to think about what they truly want from their time here on campus. College is about challenging yourself to thinking, knowing, and minding in different ways. I have made the choice to engage in the community around me; I participate in numerous extracurricular activities, and I hold a few positions of leadership on campus. I am not paying tuition to have just a fun experience, but I want to learn things about myself and the world around me in order to generate positive change. To any student looking to go to college, I would encourage that individual to get involved - challenge yourself. Take a class on something you have never heard of before. Try a new club with people much different than you are. Find what makes you happy and take control of your education.

Attend the school that you feel most comfortable with. Don't base your choice off of what others may believe or which school may commonly have a "better reputation."

When I was looking at colleges, I kept hearing from people that the right campus would just "feel right". And as odd as that sounds, it couldn't be more true. I know when I set foot on the St. Lawrence campus that I had to be there for the next four years, and with the exception of a semester abroad in London, that is where I found myself. The best way to make the most of your years at college is to get involved in groups that really interest you-- they are where you will meet your best friends! And if there is a performance, a game, a lecture, a dinner, or ANY special event on your campus, you should really make an effort to attend. I learned just as much from life outside the classroom as I did from my amazing professors. Where ever you go, enjoy your time and make amazing memories!

Nicolien

I would advise parents and/or students to really seek out the schools they are most interested in. Make sure to visit the school more than once, if you can, and try to get a sleepover visit if possible. Re-visit days after admission are crucial to deciding if the school is right for you, especially since they let you sit in on sample classes of your choice with real professors. To make the most of the college experience you really have to get out of your bubble and experience new things. Spend time with people you would never have spent time with back at home, and find out about new cultures and areas in the world. Also get involved with the surrounding community at your school, and if you don't join club or varsity athletics find an organization that best suits you and stay involved wtih that organization. Explore as much as possible, this is the best four years of your life!!!!

Susanne

Look for the school that will prepare you not only for your future career, but for the world. I am a huge proponent of liberal arts education and well-rounded students.

Be sure to look at more than three colleges and be sure to look outside of the state you live in. Look around the country. You can relocate to anywhere, this is your one chance.

Finding the right school based on one or two visits, a campus tour and the mind-numbing repetition of reading college demographics doesn't always lead students or parents to feel feel confident in their final choice. When I visited my Alma Mater as an accepted but undecided student, the dean of students gave us advice that I found to be irritatingly sappy at the time: go find an Adirondack chair somewhere on campus, sit down, and see if you can really imagine yourself here. Well, I didnt do that, but I did take some time to just walk around campus by myself, and get a grasp of what this school felt like to me. Could I imagine walking to class or brunch in my pajamas down this path? Could I see myself lying on a blanket with my friends in that courtyard? Was that the building in which I would spend sixteen hours straight studying for an exam? In four years, would I walk across that green with a diploma in my hand? Could this new place ever feel like home? Something about that campus said yes, I would do all those things, and I never looked back.

I would say to travel and check out every campus that you can and go on a school sponsored overnight visit. I would also say not to go to a school just because you can afford it. Money should not deter anyone from going to a school they wish to go to.

Kacie

Feeling. Enough said. I think that when choosing a college, the most important part in making your decision is the "feeling" you get when you walk on campus. It is incredibly important to physically go to each school you are looking at and see how you feel there. That is your best way to determine where you belong. The atmosphere of the school is something you feel right away on each campus and it is this that allows you to see if you feel as if you fit there. Of course it is incredibly important to look at academics, sports, financial aid, ect., but so many schools have so much to offer. That is when it comes finally down to where you feel most comfortable, and it is that first time on a campus that shows you how you feel. That is how I felt when I first stepped on St. Lawrence University campus, like i belonged.

Bjorn

Deciding which school to go to can be a hard descision. It requires looking at your future and making descisions for it without fully knowing what implications those descisions will have. All you can do at the time is make the best descision based on what you know. Decide between a Liberal arts school or a large state university. Liberal arts schools and state schools are very different, learning about their differences and using helps in decideing what type of education you are looking for as well as the general type of environment on campus that will be most suitable for you. Knowing what you want to study, and choosing schools that are strong in those departments is a good method if you know for sure what it is that you want to study. Once you have arrived on campus get involved! extracurricular activities are the best way to meet people who share common interests.

Harriet

Students looking to find the right college should really try to do campus tours and overnight visits. Becoming a part of the college, even just for a night, can be a very taste of what four years may be like. If these aren't possible, prospective students should take advantage of the online chats and other outreach programs the colleges offer. When narrowing the search, pick a few criteria that are the most important to the student and critically review prospective colleges in terms of those. The search is difficult but with specific goals in mind it will be much more manageable. In terms of making the most out of the college experience: it is what you make it. Put yourself out there. Try something new, even if you hate it after that one time. Do your homework and engage yourself in your classes, you'll regret it if you don't. Remember that college is the time in your life to branch out from everything you've ever known, to discover passions and to discover a world that you didn't know existed.

Make sure to look not only at academics but also social life. Do you want to be stuck living on campus all four years? What is the culture surrounding alcohol? Does this school support LGBTQQIAA? What is the workload vs. social life ratio? What organizations are you interested in?