St. Mary's City, MD
St Mary's College of Maryland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St Mary's College of Maryland

Anastasia

Encouraging, but so much whiteness it's ridiculous.

Encouraging, but so much whiteness it's ridiculous.

I'd tell myself to not pick a major and just take the time to explore what I'm actually interested in. It's okay to not know what you want to do with your life yet, you're only 18 and just beginning to find out what the world has to offer for you. Regarding roommates: be vocal about what you want and need, they're not going to figure it out if you keep quiet. Make sure you actually go to class, but don't be afraid to skip for something that's worth it. Don't value romantic relationships over your friends; these people are amazing and you're going to form your own little family. Try not to resent your friends when they don't do the same; remember, it's a learning curve. These next four years are going to fly past you, so enjoy it. Take lots of pictures and keep little souvenirs of the trips you take. But most of all: breathe.

Bugs and sweat in summer, wind and rain in winter. Also: the school is SO WHITE.

The students at St. Mary's College are diverse!

The students at St. Mary's College are diverse!

If I could go back to being a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the moment. As a senior all I could think about was all the things I wanted to do. I couldn't wait to graduate college, start a career, get married, and have a family. Now that I have done all those things, even though they are even more fantastic then I ever imagined, I look back at high school and think how fantastic that was too. I look at pictures of those days and think how beautiful I looked, and how much fun that was. If only I had taken the time to appreciate it then, rather than racing ahead to the future, maybe I would have felt more fulfilled. Instead, all I wanted to do was get to my future and fast. Now, ten years later, all I want to do is slow it down. I have two daughters of my own, and I just wish I could have a pause button to keep them in place for a while, to enjoy them as they are now. Just like I should have done. I should have enjoyed myself as I was then.

The best thing about St. Mary's College was the quality of the education. I am often asked where I got my degree, and when I tell people St. Mary's College, they always say "wow! That is a great school" or "Wow! That is a really hard school!". Makes me feel good!

Thomas

I would tell myself that my reputation is the most important thing I have. I should be careful about the image I project to others and not be too spontatneous and impulse driven upon arriving at college. I should realize that it is also incredibly important to use discretion when making new friends on campus as it is difficult to break free from one social realm and enter into another. I would also tell myself to focus more on long term planning and future goals and not take for granted the opportunity I had in attending a fairly prestigious school. I would tell myself too be more patient with life, be more driven and pay more attention to what I may want to do upon graduating and to examine the career choice that I had planned for myself and gain real world experience in that field to make sure that it was right for me. Lastly, I would tell myself to be patient and to never be discouraged regardless of any health problems or obstacles on the way to success that may be encountered.

That there is very little networking opportunity, there are no real job fairs, and they do not help students find jobs upon graduating.

That it is academically challenging, with a low student to teacher ratio and is a very environmentally friendly, artistic, and accepting campus

Caitlyn

In high school, I wanted to join the military. Looking back now, I think I'd sooner take up knife juggling or casually memorize pi. An injury from a pole vaulting accident caused me to lose the appointment to the United States Air Force Academy, for which I had worked all four years. I was devastated--and suddenly I was valedictorian with no college plans. I pulled myself together and found St. Mary's. I also found my own voice. I wasn't a member of a platoon. I wasn't a stereotype; I wasn't a statistic. I was a writer, a traveler, a backpacker. I was on a greyhound traveling across the country. I was on a plane to Vietnam, and a rickshaw in Pondicherry, India, in a canoe in the Amazon. I was without a bed or a guaranteed meal every day. None of that mattered. I learned that the world was my campus. I learned that the freedom to learn about myself and the world was what college had give me: new dreams. I am far less sure of my future, I am very nearly penniless, and I am happier than I have ever been.

The people who are happiest at my school are people who don't like to wear shoes. People who always turn the light off when they leave a room. People who speak up about the way they feel about the world. People who like to read and to form informed opinions. People who like to sail or kayak or run beside the river, who like to rock climb or play frisbee, who aren't afraid to be caught spending friday night playing an imaginary game and not having a drop of alcohol, using words like blithe and petrichor.

The river. The people who let me be a nerdy english major, if I let them watch x files instead of throwing a solo-cup-ridden party. Kayaking on flat sunrise water, running under innumerable stars, feeling free and accepted enough to walk around post-nap, with no shoes on, or to walk down the path singing. The people. The river. The stars.

Alex

SMCM is a small liberal arts honors college in an amazing location on the water that provides students the opportunity to be involved in a highly academic society while still having an amazing college experience socially. The school has a lot of interesting parts to it- competitive division 3 athletics, an on campus beach, and the honors college recognition.

My experiences in college through one semester have given me a lot of experience in the real world socially and economically while also learning a lot in the classroom. Through one semester, I've had to deal with drug-dealing roommates, poor experiences with a baseball coach and transfering schools. Those experiences socially have tought me how to deal with any negative situation and somehow find the positive and the ways to overcome these obsticles. With the drug-dealing roommate, I notified the school that I was in no way involved and I shouldn't be held responsible if he were to get caught. Sure enough, a week later he was caught by the police in an off-campus situation and was suspended from school. Economically, my family has experienced divorce, unemployment, and a lot of debt in the past 5 years. With these main economic problems, my parents have given me the responsibility to pay for my own college education. With that huge responsibility, I have had to become very aware of my personal finances and manage them accordingly. In the classroom, I maintained a 3.55 GPA and learned a lot in my various fields of study.

The schools only 2 flaws are that it's a small school (2000 undergrads) and the location is secluded.

Jonathan

My classmates are extremely friendly, kind, caring, will stop to help you, and they always have your back.

Ive really become a better person overall by attending SMCM. Before, I really wasn't outgoing, motivated to do work, and and didn't have many friends. In college, you interact with everyone more, and especially at St. Mary's your classmates are very nice and really want to get to know you and be your friend. Not only that, but my professors and friends have motivated me to work harder and do well for myself. St. Mary's has made me into a better person overall, and I love what I've become and the place that made me into who I am today.

I always tell my friends about how friendly everyone is, the people are great! Not only that, but it's so small that you get to be friends with everyone. The campus is beautiful and a lot of fun. Professors know you by name and are very nice.

BRIANNE

Through my small, liberal arts college education, I have experienced quality teaching by teachers who knew my name, in small classes filled with students who knew each others names. I have developed important social skills, as well as strong bonds with my classmates and my professors. Additionally, I received a well rounded education, focusing not just in science, but English, history, and art. As a result, I am able to address problems, not just from one perspective, but through multiple lenses. My mind is flexible and my knowledge is broad. I am equipped to go anywhere and do anything. I am prepared for a lifetime of opportunities and changes, as well as any challenges that lie ahead.

Jesse

St. Mary's, along with being an academic institution, is a lifestyle. The school is small - about 2,000 students - and the campus is isolated, creating a rather insulated college experience and culture. It's a blessing and a curse. The school brochures will boast the high percentage of students who live on campus, who stay on campus for the weekends, etc. The campus ties together the student body, and it makes St. Mary's life relatable for all of the resident students - everyone knows what everyone else is talking about. You'll soon be able to recognize the elements and moments that are "so St. Mary's". Some find the isolation and relative obscurity to be suffocating. Our "college town" is 6 feet under ground (adjacent Historic St. Mary's City and archeological dig site) and you need an appreciation for history and artifact identification to benefit from the surrounding area. If that's not your thing, you need a car and the willingness to travel about 15 minutes before you hit anything useful off-campus. The college brings in musicians, speakers, and comedians to entertain the students on campus, and there is always an event to go to if you check your student e-mail religiously and take advantage of it. Be ready to do some extra explaining when you tell people where you go to school (below Annapolis, NOT Mt. St. Mary's, No, it's not a girls' school, actually, it's public). You won't find much school pride in the cliche, face-painting, logo-sporting, cheer-chanting sense, but you will find the sense of unity that comes from going to a small, underappreciated school and a certain affection for the little quirks that makes St. Mary's the school that it is.

The attitude of the student body was evident when I visited as a prospective student, and instrumental in my decision to attend the school. Because St. Mary's doesn't have a "brand name" reputation, you know that the students who come are geniunely drawn there for some reason. The students are overwhelmingly from Maryland, as is to be expected at a state school, and mostly from the Baltimore/Annapolis/Washington areas. We are also indisputedly politically tilted to the left. SMCM was credited with having one of the highest levels of race/class interaction, and prides itself in the nearly identical 4-year graduation rates of white students and minority students. At this point, though, the school is still mostly used as a cheaper option for white, middle class students.

St. Mary's isn't for everyone, but it's a unique place that is far too often overlooked. It's not flashy or traditionally prestigious, but SMCM is truly about the students who shape it.

For the most part, I feel that they are. There is a definate "liberal arts" feel to the student body. It doesn't feel like a particularly career-driven institution - kids are there to figure things out, and I think that's where many of the terms that I mentioned come into play. With the recent strengthening of the school's academic reputation, I hope that the student body will also get the credit that it deserves.

As a freshman on the humanities side of things, I didn't have a class larger than 30 students. All of my professors knew my name, and several of them welcomed us to call them by their first name. Your absence from class will be noticed. We don't have a reptutation for cut-throat academic competition, and that's how most students like it. A St. Mary's education is geared more towards exploration and development, but there are some unique opportunities for students interested in History, with Historic St. Mary's City right next door. Biology is a popular major for incoming freshman, and our location on the river lends an interesting environment for that.

Students take advantage of our waterfront location and, when the weather is nice, the river is the hub of social activity. Boating and windsurfing are popular activities. If you're looking for a party on the weekend, you can probably find one on North campus, where most upperclassmen live. Most on-campus productions are well-attended (especially the bi-annual dance show), because basically everyone knows someone in everything. Other events (guest speakers, athletic events, on-campus movies, school organized social events and concerts) are hit-or-miss. If you're not interested in the drinking/party scene (I'm not) you'll have to make an effort to find your friends and take advantage of the school's offerings. There isn't really anywhere else to go, so there is no outlet for those who want to drink, or those who do not. Notable traditions include Hallowgreens (campus-wide "trick-or-treating" party on the townhouse greens) and "pondings" - getting thrown into St. John's Pond on your birthday (at ANY time of the year - I'm a proud November pondee). It was listed by the Princeton Review as the best school for loving the great outdoors, and as the weather warms up in the spring, the school is completely rejuvinated as students head back outside .

Liberal, open-minded, quirky, wandering, laid-back

My classmates consist of hippies, druggies, poets, nerds, the occasional prep and the occasional jock, but all are free thinkers.

Pushing off the dock and into the St. Mary?s river requires me to take a leap of faith. At first there?s a burst of cold, but as I submerge, the water swallows me leaving me feeling free and empowered. As I resurface my heart beats differently as though I have rediscovered life. When I came to St. Mary?s I thought I was certain of one thing: I would never be truly happy because my life would never be my own. I believed that my parents, my boyfriend, and my high school determined my future. Instead, St. Mary?s pulled me into its current and opened up all the waterways of the world to me. The beautiful river and history illustrated to me that while I was connected to my past I did not have to continue it. The in-depth teachings and the strong belief in the importance of originality showed me I must fully submerge myself to be in charge of my future. Finally, St. Mary?s led me to believe that the most important lesson is to enjoy life and that includes love, learning, and jumping in with a splash.

Laura

College allowed me to develop as an independent person. I have one older brother. He is incredibly bright and social. I grew up feeling like I was constantly in his shadow. After going to college, I was able to break free and discover my own personal interests and strengths. When I studied abroad in Greece, my eyes were opened to another culture and taught me to be adventurous. I was a very picky eater growing up, but Greek food brightened my palate. Now, I will try any food! Attending college was particularly valuable because it was a big stepping stone in learning what I truly want to do in my life. I became fascinated with culture and how food plays a role in culture. The obesity epidemic and eating disorders are substantial issues in American culture. These issues are rooted in our culture and our values. I want to pursue a career in preventing obesity and eating disorders and encourages children to live a healthy lifestyle. Without college and the help of my academic advisor, Iris, I would not be the same person I am.

The school is located directly on a river. The campus is absolutely beautiful. But, most significantly, the campus community is extremely small creating a warm environment that allows students to easily access their professors and know all of their fellow classmates.

The career services department is under-developed. It has limited resources that only help with finding jobs in the D.C. area. Career services was especially unhelpful to those looking for a job out-of-state.

St Mary's College of Maryland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.