St Olaf College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for St Olaf College

At St. Olaf College, there are a lot of quirky things, like Christmas Fest, when people run around in Norwegian sweaters and the cafeteria serves lutefisk and boiled potatoes and hundreds of student musicians put on a concert several nights that week. There's also the Malt-o-Meal factory, which makes the campus smell like cookies. And as a musician, the music program is really wonderful - for all of these reasons, I think that St. Olaf College is a great, "Minnesota Nice" place to learn and excel in any field academically. However, in the past couple of years, sexual assault cases have come to light, and issues of racism have sparked mass protests across campus. I think that the administration still needs to figure out how to create a more inclusive, diverse community that makes students feel welcome and safe. So, I think that for minority students, it might not seem as great as it is for white students. They are slowly making progress, though, so I think that good things will come in the college's future.

Deania

Saint Olaf is a relatively excellent school. I was able to transition easily and the school tries to accommodate everyone interest. The academic opportunities here are exceptional. Ranging from nursing to music, there's a major for everyone even if your undecided. Although there is tension between groups of students, the community life is very excepting. I never though I would move states away, but St.Olaf was the school that opened my eyes to the possibilities of my future.

Perry

St Olaf College is a wonderful place to grow as a person and a student. There are always things to learn both in and out of the classroom.

Hunter

St. Olaf College is a wonderful, Midwestern liberal arts experience. Students and faculty are generally friendly and helpful. The on campus culture definitely emphasizes arts, discussions and science over athletics. The Lutheran tradition of the school is present but not overwhelming.

Maren

I transfered to St Olaf from a school that was really not working out for me, and the contrast is amazing. St. Olaf has a beautiful campus that just feels like home, really good food, almost any facility you could ask for (including multiple tracks, an ice rink, and a pool), multiple theaters, on campus resources, and various outlets for student life. It really caters to all lifestyles and personalities, and makes them coexist in a beautiful and comfortable way for all students. I am very artistically and environmentally engaged, so it's amazing to have both a proscenium and blackbox theater, numerous dance studios, art classes galore, and more than 250 acres of natural lands and trails to explore on campus. The campus offers a well rounded life: academia, athletics, and leisure.

Christy

I love the small community feel. Like any small group of close knit people we have our issues that need to be worked out, but they are usually addressed as needed. Overall I am very glad that I came to St. Olaf. I do wish tuition would be cheaper, or they would offer better student work jobs, and the employers would respond in a prompt manner rather than never replying.

Jocelyn

I loved St. Olaf college when I visited my future campus because it has such a safe and trusting environment. I could leave my Mac laptop out without worrying that someone would steal it. I'm very excited to attend this fall. Although, it's in a very quite town, and I grew up in the city so it will take some time to adjust to the change.

Zoe

This is a fantastic liberal arts college for students who want to pursue an education and also participate in many groups around campus. Students are very involved and hold themselves to high academic standards. The food service is great and very accesible to those with dietary needs. The athletic programs are well curated to the Division III students atheletes, and the music program is competetive and well renowned.

St. Olaf College is a small fine-arts college in Minnesota. I'm from Nebraska so it was a little far away from home but I was up for the change. I was led to St. Olaf initially by the college softball coach who recruited me to play for them. I visited the campus and fell in love! It is a beautiful campus filled with tress, lots of open space and unique and beautiful buildings. As an incoming freshman, of course there are nerves because I didn't know anyone who was going there. But it really didn't take long to meet people. There are tons of dorm-sponsored activities and also plenty of other things to do around campus - movies, concerts, games, intramural sports, and clubs just to name a few. The classes are challenging but that's OK. I didn't come to college just to play softball; I want to get a quality education too. My goal is to go on to become a veterinarian so it's important to take classes that make me work hard. I have made tons of friends and I absolutely love it here! I actually miss it when I go home for breaks (sorry mom!!). Choosing St. Olaf was the best decision I could have made and I am looking forward to what adventures the next 3 1/2 years bring!

Sofia

St Olaf is a community which lasts a lifetime and begins before you even step foot on campus. Classes are fun and small class sizes make it easier to learn. Office hours are easy to attend and supplemental instruction sessions give a deeper understanding of course material. The campus is beautiful. There are trees galore and green is everywhere - along with fat squirrels. Plenty of events throughout the year provide an enjoyable social scene.

Madison

While no college is entirely perfect, I would say that St Olaf comes as close as a college could possibly get. I absolutely adore my school -- from the facilities to the faculty to quaint Northfield itself, I cannot imagine a better school at which to further my education. At St Olaf I have found more than just a place of study, I have found my home away from home. The college promotes academic and personal growth, and offers students every opportunity to find success in their studies and their social life. I couldn't imagine being happier anywhere else.

H

St. Olaf college needs to be more student-focused. If you are not a financially well-off, neurotypical student, you will struggle with administration here. Your needs will not be accommodated.

Emma

St Olaf is a small college, some people find living on the hill to be isolating while other people really value the tight community atmosphere. They claim its a dry campus but you can always find a party and drinking on the weekends. The class sizes are small so you can create a good connection with your classmates and professors and not every class is a massive lecture, but your professor will notice when you don't show up. In general I really like it here and I'm happy.

Chajli

St Olaf College is a great liberal arts college. The campus itself is very beautiful. Despite its small size, the campus still feels big enough while keeping the walking around campus to a minimum, except in winter. The walks seem like forever. The classes are very stimulating and because it is a liberal arts college, you may discover new interests. The faculty from janitors to cafeteria workers to professors are some of the nicest people you will meet. The professors are very caring and accessible and some even play intramural sports against you! The music program here is unbelievable. Taking part in Christmas Fest was a breath-taking experience.

Bryan

It's a great school in a small town. Everyone, teachers and staff, are very approachable. It's a great learning environment where people are not very competitive, but rather collaborative. It's great if you know a friend who has a car because the campus is only 40 minutes from the Twin Cities.

Jazmin

St. Olaf provides its students with a phenomenal environment of academia and exploration; exploration in the sense of self, adventure, passion, and limits. I have found St. Olaf to be a college that will help me to become a better version of myself. The courses are rigorous, but the rewards to be reaped seem well worth it. If you are looking for a place to explore, be pushed to your breaking point, and find your sense of adventure you may want to consider calling St. Olaf home.

Aleksandr

I really like St Olaf so far. I have been attending it for a year and I think I got a grasp of its good and bad sides. To the good sides belong for example academics. Academically this school is absolutely outstanding. Another thing is facilities. No matter what you are interested in you'll always find a way and a place to practice it. One thing that perhaps needs work is cafeteria food (although I have heard that other campuses are worse in that department)

Great school that offers challenging courses and requires that every student take classes in subjects beyond their major since it's a liberal arts school. The study abroad courses offered are expensive, but definitely worth the cost! Everyone on campus is very friendly and the campus is beautiful.

Alexander

St Olaf College is a great place to go if you're looking for a more intimate setting with nice people and very accessible professors. There are a wide variety of opportunities available including strong music and art programs. The community is very close knit and everyone is very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a school with big sports programs or greek life, this is not the school for you.

Gabriel

St. Olaf college was the perfect choice for me, since I wanted to stay in my home state of Minnesota and needed a school with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The students and faculty are all very friendly and personable. I have yet to meet a truly unpleasant person at St. Olaf. The school is ranked very highly in the state, usually top 5, and it’s for a good reason. The professors are top notch, the classes are interesting, and the food is great! Since it is expected that all first-year students live on campus, there is an immediate sense of community among students. The arts at St. Olaf are yet another reason to rave. Everyone here is so unbelievably talented whether it be in the theater department, the choirs, or any of the instrumental ensembles. The cost of tuition is rather high, but the need based financial aid at St. Olaf is one of the many reasons it was my final choice of college. Did I mention the food? It is ranked within the top 5 cafeterias in the entire country. It really helps with the transition knowing you’ll always have good food to eat every day. The alumni network at St. Olaf is expansive and very helpful in finding a career after college. I am only a first-year at St. Olaf, but I know I have so many good times ahead of me in the next few years at the school.

Cora

It's a wonderful school. The administration is incredibly caring and wonderful, no matter the circumstance. It's in a lovely little town in MN, with plenty to do around it, and ample public transport to get there. They support diversity wherever they go, with numerous racial, political, and LGBTQ+ groups across campus. Along with this, they encourage It's also home to one of the most fantastic choirs, led by amazing directors who have a real passion for what they do.