St Petersburg College

« See more reviews of St Petersburg College

You are exactly where you want to be, stop worrying, it will be fun. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior that is what I would tell myself because during my senior year I had acquired magna cum laude honors, I had completed a semesters worth of college classes through AP and dual enrollment, I had over 400 hours of community service and I knew what I was going to do next. However I was nervous about making the transition to college classes. Although if I could tell my senior self that before I got my AA degree I would be accepted to my dream university, I would complete my first internship, and I would maintain the same magna cum laude honors, I am sure all my worries would have ceased. I would also tell myself that my first two years of college will be alot of fun because almost every teacher I will get will make the class interesting, funny, or interactive to where it seems like you are not even doing any hard work. Overall, the worst has passed, now comes the good part!

Looking back I would have changed several things. The first being that I would have taken 2 years of a foreign language in HS instead of college. If you think HS Spanish is difficult , try it in college. The second thing that I would have done differently is that I would have applied for more scholarships and grants during my senior year in HS . I can only imagine how many thousands of dollars in student loans I could have saved by doing this over again. The most important thing I would have done differently is that I would NOT have stopped going to school no matter what. I could have completed my AA degree 20 years ago. Going back to school is one of the most important things I can do to better myself today. I also have 3 teenagers and they see just how hard I am working to get my degree and can appreciate my hard work for their behalf. As I grow in my education, my job prospects will get better and I can give my children a better life and provide for their college education.

This was such an easy question for me because I think about it often! Growing up in a large family, for some reason, the girls were not expected or encouraged to go to college. Growing up, I never even considered going to college. My goal, as I was taught, was to get married and have kids. But that mentality is extremely old-fashioned and I believe it significantly hindered my professional and personal life. I was married too young, had no college education whatsoever, and I was totally dependent on my husband. It took about 10 years for me to even imagine that I could go to college, and it took even longer for me to realize that I was smart and capable enough to succeed. If I were a high school senior and could go back in time, I would tell myself that I AM intelligent and I AM capable enough, as much as a man, to go to college and SUCCEED. And that's what I'm trying to do now, in my 30's, but with a family to support at the same time. It would've been much easier 20 years ago!

I would tell myself to pay more attention and apply myself. I am still struggling to overcome the bad academic choices I made in high school. I also would have taken my SAT and ACT tests. I would have tried to be more involved in organizations that offered scholarships. Most importantly, don't worry about the money, somehow, that will work itself out. Figure out what you want to do, what will make you happy and go for it! If you like what you're doing and it makes you happy, then that's all that matters. Also, even if you don't want to take a class or don't see the point, grin and bear it. In life we must do things that we don't want to and they won't always make sense; but if you complete theses tasks to the best of your ability, you usually not only walk away with a feeling of accomplishment, but you learn something new in the process. Relax, and enjoy this time when you don't have to worry about rent or bills. The real world will be here before you know it!

My college experience has been an intestesting one and has impacted my life quite a bit. I have learned countless things about the world, as well as myself. It has helped me realize and completely decide what I want to do with my life, where I want to go. It has helped me make new friends and realize which of those friends will always be there, contributing to my life in a positive way. It has helped me with my career, and I believe it will help me take my career even farther after I graduate. Although my college is not exactly the largest campus with the most diverse degree programs or some prestigious university, I appreciate the school and the students here.. Everybody respects everybody, which is something not always so easy to find in a school. It may not be the largest or greatest college, but it has been very valuable to me and has affected my life in numerous ways. It has helped me grow, and understand myself, and I know it will help me pursue the career I want.

College is not as easy as you think it will be. I know that you have a 4.0 in high school, and that you never had to study to keep that up. This is not how it is going to be once you start college. The classes that you take now, you could take a full year to finish if you wanted to. Your new classes are going to be over in about three months. Your life willl be much more difficult later if you don't work hard now. Running Start is a good opportunity for you, and you could have your tuition paid for you for two years. This kind of offer will never be made again, so take advantage of it. College is expensive; look at how much it will cost you if you waste this time. Money is a representation of the time that it would take you to earn it. Therefore, every time you spend money, you are actually giving away a piece of your life every time you buy something. Save every bit of money that you possibly can, and work hard. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Communicating self-worth pertaining to educational goals and the value of persistence would be priority while counseling myself previously in high school. It is clear explaining the importance of good grades would be quality advice considering how colleges and higher academic facilities value information retention. "It's all about the GPA!" would be consistently repeated. Next, when asked the memorable question "What do I do when the counselors will not guide me or do not have time for me?" the answer would be to obtain all college or university financial and enrollment information by going directly to the source for guidance ? in other words, bypass the high school counselors. Ten years after graduating high school I am a college student with an extremely high grade point average -- including current membership in Presidential Honors and Phi Theta Kappa -- therefore, the significant point to emphasize would be the power to achieve from within.

The advice I would give myself if I could turn back time was to stay on task. Because I did love to learn, but at times it was hard to juggle everthing around in daily life at times. For example, there were nights I had a hard time pushing myself to do my homework instead I might give up or just take a long break then get back to my work later. The other thing I would tell myself was to never give . Believe me I know giving up sometimes seems like the most easiest or best way to do things in life but it really is not it can just harm you in the end . The is I can do anything if I really set my mind to it in life . My senior year was very intersting but overall I am glad I made it and graudate knowing that life is not easy but that does not that mean I have stop going on my advertous journey. The last thing I would tell myself is what I am doing know going to school and being a high school senior is going to be a great help for the future.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would start by saying enjoy these 4 years they go by fast. I would then begin to tell myself about opportunities, that shouldn’t be ignored. I would say pay more attention in French class, and go on the trip to France to study abroad. Be more active in school clubs and maybe even play some sports. I enjoyed baseball in high school and I should have tried out for the baseball team. That would have afforded me with a possible scholarship to a great University. I would also tell myself to continue to enjoy the years ahead of you, don’t change who you are. The final thing I would tell myself is to study, study, study get good grades and pay attention in class. It may seem like it’s not important and who cares if you get an ‘A’ in economics or French. Well the future you cares and guess what you’re going to be kicking yourself in the butt when you get older.

As a high school senior, I was more focused on skipping school and letting senioritis get the best of me. Going back and looking at all of the things that I could have gotten done in that wasted time, I really would have liked to have been able to just tell myself to stop being so stupid and get focused on what really mattered. I would have told myself that applying for scholarships ahead of the time would have been the best thing I could have done. I missed out on a lot of opportunities for scholarships because I didn't pay attention to deadlines, I was to lazy to write essays, or I was to strung up in hanging out with my friends for the last time. Also, I would have told myself to attend college over the summer, rather than waiting until the fall. Getting ahead even just a few credits would have helped me tremendously as far as when I will graduate and when I can take certain classes.