Stanford, CA
Stanford University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stanford University

Fixed  rate loan

Helen

The Stanford stereotype really varies. The ones I encounter the most are that students are known to be nerdy and wealthy. As a top-tier school, many self-proclaimed nerds do attend Stanford, but there's more to the students than just that. Ask anyone on campus to learn that they have a passion or talent that drives them, not just a high standardized test scores and good grades. In terms of wealth, yes, many of my friends are from well off families. However, Stanford also offers a very generous financial aid packages and accepts applicants on a need-blind basis, which means Stanford doesn't consider your financial status when making application decisions. It's actually cheaper for me to attend Stanford than my own local public university back at home because of the financial aid I received! To me, Stanford is a nerd meets jock meets hippy kind of environment. Our campus is very intellectual, active, and chill. Well, at least on the outside. There's something on campus known as the Stanford Duck Syndrome. Ducks look calm on the surface, but they're paddling furiously to stay afloat. Most stereotypes you hear about Stanford are probably true to some extent, because it's such a diverse campus full of passionate and driven people with many interests.

Amy

With its bountiful academic, social, and financial resources Stanford University is able to establish a rich, cooperative microcosm of the world that is the converging point for diverse thoughts and beliefs which unite to create new knowledge that yields opportunities and experiences that inspire individuals to strive for goals that previously seemed unattainable.

Amy, as you begin your college journey there is little I can say that will prepare you for what you are about to experience. All I can offer you is an insight that I hope you will recall and that will reassure you along the way. The greatest transition that you will struggle with at Stanford is the process of defining yourself. This quest to establish your identity will be influenced by your academics and activities, but most prominently by the people you encounter. Placed in an atmosphere of diverse people who are accustomed to incredible levels of success you will find yourself frequently questioning whether you deserve to be here, questioning the value of your opinion, and even questioning the very basis of your beliefs. In these circumstances, I encourage you to realize the power of your perspective and how it can positively influence others. Always remember that the fruits of conversations with those whom you may not readily (or ever) agree may be picked with frustration, but each one you have will hone your ability to respectfully debate as well as propel you down the path of defining who you are and what you believe.

With the incredible amount of ethnic, culture, religious, and socioeconomic diversity that Stanford achieves it is difficult to define the average Stanford student, or suggest what kind of student should go here. That being said, with the convergence of so many different backgrounds, students that flourish at this university are those that are open to offering their diverse thoughts while respecting the opinions and experiences that have shaped their peers. Additional typical qualities of Stanford students are those that are determined, innovative, social justice-oriented, committed, and unafraid to venture beyond their comfort zone.

Thomas

I would tell myself to enjoy my time as a minor while I still could. High school should have been a fun, carefree time. Instead of relaxing, I worked two jobs. In reflection, I know that work was a major player in my growth and development, but I did not fully partake in traditional high school experiences. I missed football games, dances and various other school related events because I had to work. I would also tell myself to network better. I realized too late that the professor I worked under and the people I met wanted to help me along in my journey. I guess it was foolish pride that led me to deny the help of others. I have changed my ways after listening to a particular speaker, but I still wish I would have known sooner. When an influential figure expresses interest in one's work or life, this notion of kindness should not be taken lightly.

Potentially, the worst thing about Stanford is the cost of tuition. Luckily, the university has a large endowment so many people qualify for need based aid. Additionally, if a student has poor time management skills, Stanford can be impossibly difficult. To the students benefit, however, Stanford's application process is tough, and the admissions office ensures that all admitted students have demonstrated that they are qualified to handle the workload.

The workload is sometiems frustrating, but again, most Stanford students would not be here if admissions doubted an admit's ability to thrive in such a competitive environment. On a similar note, the competition here is humbling. Many students were valedictorians of their respective high schools. Here, they are just one in a crowd of intelligent young people. It was quite a shock to realize that I was not even close to academic perfection.

Evelyn

As a high school senior, I was a self-righteous and lazy teenager. I would snub my university bound peers for submitting to a path demanded by their parents. I was eager for freedom from a system that I believed had imprisoned me, and thoroughly believed that I could live the rest of my life without actual responsibility. If I had the ability to speak with myself, as an adult to a child, I would seize her by the shoulders and tell her to stop being arrogant. The path to any success, I would say, will not be paved for you because you feel you are entitled to it. I would tell her that being an adult means confronting barriers that will force you to rethink your strategy. She would protest and exclaim that she can survive without structure, and that she would rather indulge in her immediate desires. With gentleness and empathy, I will have said that her perspective must change, and that her narrow worldview will only evolve if she pursues higher education. I would say: Be objective about this. Imagine what damage those years of wasted time will do to that mind? Why waste your potential?

Alicia

I would advise myself to take full advantage of all the extracurricular and group activities. Going to College is a big change and it’s easier to transition the more involved you feel in the college and on the campus. Also, becoming involved in things outside of class is a great way to make new friends and the more groups you’re involved in the more connections you have. While you should take full advantage of extracurricular activities do not lose focus on why you are there, and always put your grades and classwork first. It’s easy to get distracted in a new school with new friends and more freedom but remember that you’re paying money for an education that will determine your future. Don’t waste money or time and make the most of everything and every experience.

Gerald

Stanford University is a place where you not only are exposed to great teachers, but to a great environment: specifically the weather and the motivated and talented students.

“Don’t worry, there is a place for everyone to fit in at college!” Throughout my high school year I was anxious about the academic and more importantly social aspect of college. Now completing my first year, I would definitely recommend to think less of fitting in at college and more of enjoying the time you have with high school friends and preparing yourself financially for college. Members of the college’s student body come from various backgrounds, so finding one’s niche is easier than most perceive. Nurturing those high school friendships is most important, so that they have a chance of surviving the “friend-weaning” process known as college freshman year. The second important piece of advice is the need to search for outside scholarships and grants. Being a strong academic, I mistakenly thought that colleges would throw money my way because of my elite test scores and outstanding G.P.A. High school seniors need to focus their spare time away from school and friends looking for outside sources of money. Schools’ budgets are constantly becoming thinner and to ensure that you do receive the aid that you deserve, you need to diligently search for your money.

Sometimes people are too uptight because it is academic although the people I surround myself are not.

Tonya

If I could go back in time and converse with myself as a high school student, I would definitely have a "package of possibilities" on hand. Growing up there was no one around to motivate me and show me that there was more to life than what I had experienced. My siblings will be in high school soon and it will be as if I really am going back to my high school days. I try to give them all the advice I wish I could have received. I grew up blinded to the endless amount of opportunities and deaf to the sound of dreams. I could only visualize that which I experienced and knew. I grew up surrounded by death, poverty, and the notion that I was to be content with what I had. It took joining the military, seven years of "reconstruction," to open my mind to all things I will accomplish. It would be pretty awesome to have the ability to go back in time, taking an opportunity to open my mind to the world of possibilities, but I'm going to get this chance with my siblings and nothing can beat that.

Sumit

A great school that nurtures students creative and intellectual abilities ; helps them discover themselves and in turn create great citizens.

Stanford is not for the faint of heart or for people who can't accept challenges. This school fosters your educational development as well as personal development which helps in developing well-rounded people. People just interested in academics and not fun probably might not be a good fit

Christopher

I have/will obtain the skills i need to assist me in my future to better provide for my son and me. With out this education i would not be able to aford the things we need on a day to day basis and would be extreamely diffacult to assist my son when he goes to college. I have also learned how to better manage my time, and be more efficent in daily task.

Chris

So far I have learned that College is a privalege and not a right, and that if you dont do your work and try your best then you will fail, because college is not like high school where you are hand feed everything. In college no one cares about you and you are on your own and must learn things by yourself.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.