Stanford, CA
Stanford University

Chenxing

Friendly, sunny, bursting at the seams with possibilities and opportunities, entrepreneuring, gorgeous campus, dyanmic and involved students, a "bubble" that might feel stifling at times, overall a remarkable place to make lifelong friends and begin to find your academic and life passion.

Though I had my hesitations and considered a smaller liberal arts college, in retrospect, no other place could have given provided a richer, more dynamic place to learn and grow into a young adult with strong values. I've gained lifelong friends, strong communications skills, deep connections not just on campus but also around the world, and and most of all, the courage to carve an alternative path as I continue my learning and growth beyond my undergraduate years. As a Chinese American passionate about Buddhist and interfaith chaplaincy, the hospice movement, feminist issues, and social justice, my interests often raise eyebrows. But this path feels just right for me, and I'm deeply indebted to the people I met at Stanford who encouraged me to find my true calling: from my partner of three years to some best friends I still keep in touch with to my honors thesis advisor--all continue to be avid, nonjudgmental champion and supporters in my unfolding journey--something I never experienced growing up. Through the academic, religious/spiritual, and social/emotional opporunties--and challenges--that Stanford offered, I am well-equipped for what lies ahead.

I wish I'd taken more though about how I wanted to take advantage of all that Stanford had to offer. I would have liked to know that designing your own major is hard, and that it's best to make connections with faculty early. I would have also preferred to live in an all-freshman dorm rather than a four-class dorm to have a stronger community of friends. And I wish I knew about the Women's Center earlier on!

Crystal

Being that I go to a community college and you always hear negative remarks about them, I'm happy to say that my experience has been nothing but a pleasant one. I'm met multiple students who have helped me along the way and I'm glad to have shared this college experience with them. I'd definitely consider a few of them close friends and will continue to establish our relationships. Additionally, I'm happy to share that I have had some amazing professors who have helped get me right back on track since I was out of school for over 9 years. I now feel confident enough to move forward in my education and hopefully get into a nursing school so I can become a registered nurse.

Amber

My college experiance has changed me, I was more of a slacker in High School but working and being a full time college student has matured me. I have gotten my priorities straight and learned to manage my life wisely. My college experiance has helped me face reality and grow up.

Mitchell

It would almost be easier to name what I haven't get out of my college experience so far. I have made lifelong friends, met fantastic faculty, listened to very inspirational speakers and been exposed to opportunities I would not expect in my wildest dreams, all while getting a top-of-the-line educational experience at one of the most prestigious universities in the United States. Although I am just a sophomore, the things I have experienced so far at Stanford have far exceeded anything I could have ever imagined. It's scary to think that I've only been here for a little over a year and have seen what I have seen. How much more could I possibly get (or expect) out of my college experience?

I don't like bragging about Stanford because it's reputation preceedes itself. But everything from the faculty, staff, dorms, classes and diversity of the campus is great. Not to mention we are about 45 minutes from The City and we have some of the best weather year round.

Nothing about the school itself. I love everything about Stanford. The most frustrating thing related to Stanford is the stigma that everyone has that it's a school filled with rich nerdy kids that don't know how to socialize or have fun. In fact, Stanford is more diverse than any school I have ever been in.

Connor

Stanford has a different "feel". Everywhere you go, people are brilliant, people are smart, and people want to help you do awesome things. The amount of opportunities here dwarfs those anywhere else.

College so far has been an experience like no other, at once intellectually stimulating, completely new, and yet strangely comfortable. I fit in better here than anywhere else I've been before -- high school, my track team, the choir I was in for 10 years. I love the atmosphere of intellectual purpose that one finds in college, and the fact that there's a just-as-important common goal of meeting the greatest people you can meet, learning as much as you can about life, and discovering what it is that you might want to do once you leave the (formal , at least) educational system. Whether I'm cycling in the hills of the Portola Valley, studying until 2am in my dorm, frantically working out a proof on my midterm, or just sitting down on the grass and watching the world go by, college is the most fulfilling experience I've had so far. I have high hopes for my remaining years, and no doubts that these hopes will be realized.

Alexandra

A college education will pave my path towards my goal of becoming a journalist. I have found journalism as a way not only to bring a story to my readers/viewers but as a way to take them with me as I journey from our own backyards to the other side of the world. Sharing builds bridges across societal vantage points, ethnic, racial and cultural divides and paves a path that that can lead to togetherness and harmony; a unity and awareness that could potentially lead towards the betterment of the world.

Those who wouldn't enjoy an intellectual Disneyland.

Olonda

To secure a good job I know that I need a degree and a good education. My college experience has given me skills that i can utilize and develop to secure a electronics engineering position. By attend college I have gained a talent for quickly mastering technology and the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure. And I know when I graduated on sept.,2011 after receiving training in computer and electronics engineering technology with extensive laboratory experience from ITT Technical Institute. I will be motivated to secure a job where I can be a business Professional with an associate college degree.

Chia

My freshman year will definitely be unforgettable. The people that I've met have changed my life. The jobs that I took has left me with more skills than I thought possible. The friends that I made have taught me so much about life, making me see the whole picture, making me understand why certain things occur and so much more. I am so thankful to have met and made so many friends at college. The faculty has exceeded my limitations. They believe in me, even if there are a hundred students in the class, the professors have reached out to me and that is what matters the most to me. To know that it is important I succeed and excel. That is the greatest feeling in the world. My professors have taught me about myself and have definitely helped me grow as a person inside and out. My experience with everyone and everything will forever remain priceless. Nothing will be able to replace the feeling of belonging and acceptance as I did that first year of college. It truly has been a valuable experience and I am eager to explore the next three years with everything and everyone.

The best thing about my school is definitely the people. Everyone is helpful and polite and always eager to encourage us to experience new things on campus. The friends that I've made are fantastic, honest and generous. The faculty is beyond wonderful. I got the chance to meet and know a professor who changed my views on life. She encouraged me and pushed me outside of my limits, giving me the chance to see who I am and what I can become in the future. She is a great professor and a great friend.

The worst thing about my school is that I do not have the time to get a job. There are so many classes that I want to take and explore, leaving me with no room for a job to pay for books, personal necessities, or the university bill. I held two jobs my freshman year and that barely allowed me to pay for everything let alone pass my classes. It seems like my university bill is the worst thing about school because I simply don't have time to hold a job and 20 other units at the same time.

ELIGIO

STANFORD UNIVERSITY IS DEDICATED TO FINDING SOLUTIONS TO THE GREAT CHALLENGES OF THE DAY AND TO PREPARING STUDENTS FOR LEADERSHIP IN TODAY'S COMPLEX WORLD.

I became a very innovative hands-on executive with exemplary record of leading large manufacturing including design and development of high technology products, improving processes and procedures to drive revenue, efficiency, and market share. I became a results-oriented visionary and exemplified explified unique background in high volume manufacturing, new product introduction and commercialization, engineering project management in the Decommissioning, BioTechnology, PC-Server and TeleComputing industries. I have provided integrated and strategic solutions and change agent to key stakeholders by delivering real value-add resolution and sustainable solutions. I became versatile in eCommerce, engineering services, database, systems integration, merger and acquisition. I have developed strong strategic and long-range planning abilities; skilled in setting up services, products and technology strategies in B2C (business-to-customer) and B2B (business-to-business) environments. Diverse background in technical services, project management, engineering, design, development, database, maintenance, inspection, testing, risk management, fabrication, production, volume manufacturing, supply chain, user experience, network operations, quality assurance, compliance, customer support, marketing and sales functions.

ONE OF THE BEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD. THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDED ME EXCELLENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES AFTER GRADUATION.

Jasmine

My classmates are unpredictable, talented, bright, inquisitive, confident, diverse, and intellectual.

If asked to sum up what I have gotten out of my college experience in one word, it would be impossible. There are so many things you learn in college, even in the one year I have been at Stanford. For me it would be for things: intellect, diversity, maturity, and confidence. Intellect is obvious: we go to college to learn from class, right? But it is so much more than that. Stanford University has a campus full of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and in the short time I have been there, the people that I have encountered have diversified my perspective on life. I have gained maturity from conquiring obsticales, both social and academic, that I never knew I would face; from that I acquired confidence. From the challenges and triumphs, I have embarked on a journey to become a strong, well-rounded woman, and the experience I have had so far only makes me welcome the road ahead: bring it on.

The best thing about Stanford is the positive atmosphere. The campus is beautiful, the people are encouraging, and the vibe is incredible. Though the pace may be quick due to the quarter system, the classes and the school itself provides a positive challenge that keep the students motivated and on their toes. It is truly a wonderful place to be.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.