Stanford, CA
Stanford University

Chia

My freshman year will definitely be unforgettable. The people that I've met have changed my life. The jobs that I took has left me with more skills than I thought possible. The friends that I made have taught me so much about life, making me see the whole picture, making me understand why certain things occur and so much more. I am so thankful to have met and made so many friends at college. The faculty has exceeded my limitations. They believe in me, even if there are a hundred students in the class, the professors have reached out to me and that is what matters the most to me. To know that it is important I succeed and excel. That is the greatest feeling in the world. My professors have taught me about myself and have definitely helped me grow as a person inside and out. My experience with everyone and everything will forever remain priceless. Nothing will be able to replace the feeling of belonging and acceptance as I did that first year of college. It truly has been a valuable experience and I am eager to explore the next three years with everything and everyone.

The best thing about my school is definitely the people. Everyone is helpful and polite and always eager to encourage us to experience new things on campus. The friends that I've made are fantastic, honest and generous. The faculty is beyond wonderful. I got the chance to meet and know a professor who changed my views on life. She encouraged me and pushed me outside of my limits, giving me the chance to see who I am and what I can become in the future. She is a great professor and a great friend.

The worst thing about my school is that I do not have the time to get a job. There are so many classes that I want to take and explore, leaving me with no room for a job to pay for books, personal necessities, or the university bill. I held two jobs my freshman year and that barely allowed me to pay for everything let alone pass my classes. It seems like my university bill is the worst thing about school because I simply don't have time to hold a job and 20 other units at the same time.

ELIGIO

STANFORD UNIVERSITY IS DEDICATED TO FINDING SOLUTIONS TO THE GREAT CHALLENGES OF THE DAY AND TO PREPARING STUDENTS FOR LEADERSHIP IN TODAY'S COMPLEX WORLD.

I became a very innovative hands-on executive with exemplary record of leading large manufacturing including design and development of high technology products, improving processes and procedures to drive revenue, efficiency, and market share. I became a results-oriented visionary and exemplified explified unique background in high volume manufacturing, new product introduction and commercialization, engineering project management in the Decommissioning, BioTechnology, PC-Server and TeleComputing industries. I have provided integrated and strategic solutions and change agent to key stakeholders by delivering real value-add resolution and sustainable solutions. I became versatile in eCommerce, engineering services, database, systems integration, merger and acquisition. I have developed strong strategic and long-range planning abilities; skilled in setting up services, products and technology strategies in B2C (business-to-customer) and B2B (business-to-business) environments. Diverse background in technical services, project management, engineering, design, development, database, maintenance, inspection, testing, risk management, fabrication, production, volume manufacturing, supply chain, user experience, network operations, quality assurance, compliance, customer support, marketing and sales functions.

ONE OF THE BEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD. THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDED ME EXCELLENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES AFTER GRADUATION.

Jasmine

My classmates are unpredictable, talented, bright, inquisitive, confident, diverse, and intellectual.

If asked to sum up what I have gotten out of my college experience in one word, it would be impossible. There are so many things you learn in college, even in the one year I have been at Stanford. For me it would be for things: intellect, diversity, maturity, and confidence. Intellect is obvious: we go to college to learn from class, right? But it is so much more than that. Stanford University has a campus full of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and in the short time I have been there, the people that I have encountered have diversified my perspective on life. I have gained maturity from conquiring obsticales, both social and academic, that I never knew I would face; from that I acquired confidence. From the challenges and triumphs, I have embarked on a journey to become a strong, well-rounded woman, and the experience I have had so far only makes me welcome the road ahead: bring it on.

The best thing about Stanford is the positive atmosphere. The campus is beautiful, the people are encouraging, and the vibe is incredible. Though the pace may be quick due to the quarter system, the classes and the school itself provides a positive challenge that keep the students motivated and on their toes. It is truly a wonderful place to be.

Madeline

I have only been in college for five months. During that time, however, I have gained an incredible amount of independence. I have always sought independence. But in college, I find that I actually am able to exercise this independence in a mature way ? something that I had always hoped would be the case. Another thing that I have gotten out of my brief college experience is an understanding of how important it is to make strategic plans (about courses, summer jobs, long-term goals) and to take the initiative to what is necessary execute those plans so that I do not make mistakes that could rob me of an opportunity. I have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity to attend Stanford University where so much is offered , and I want to take advantage of every minute of it.

There are many great things about Stanford, as mentioned in some of my earlier responses. But in addition to the wonderful academics and friendly student body and faculty, it is a real plus to have such a beautiful campus and lovely weather. While these qualities are not the most important in a college career, they certainly enrich the experience.

It is difficult to find things about Stanford that frustrate me. But if I had to choose one thing, it woud be the size of the campus. The campus is lovely. But getting from one class, on one end of campus, to the next class on the opposite end of campus can be a challenge.

My original major in college was Music. Music really enhanced my creativity. I took about twenty years off school in which I worked in Political Fundraising and Political Polling. I worked as a political fundraiser for the Republican Party of Texas and the Republican National Committee. I was the leading fundraiser in my division at both of those organizations. I have also worked as a pollster for Gallup Organization, where I was the leading pollster on the Tarrance and Associate poll, which emphasized the stregnths of Republican candidates and the weaknesses of their Democratic opponents. I returned to school about six years ago as a Political Science major. I have about a year's credit hours in Political Science. I'm classified as a college Junior. It is my ambition to complete my degree using UNLV and online classes. I would greatly appreciate you considering me as a scholarship candidate. Completing my degree has been an objective of mine for about thirty years. Sincerely yours, Michael R. Thompson

There are lots of really smart people here, but they aren't geeks--smart but normal and very social.

My college experience has been one of growth and new experiences. It has been invaluable for me to meet new people from different parts of the country and the world and to learn that we all have a common bond--to learn, to grow and to expand our knowledge. By attending college, I have also learned what it is like to be more independent, open-minded and appreciative of the gifts that each one of us has to offer. Finally, I have had the opportunity to take classes in subject areas that I might not have ventured into if I had not attended college and that has allowed me to expand my mind.

The social and party life is not as extensive as I had hoped.

Randy

Retrospect is always 20/20 and this applies extensively to the naive high school senior I was while preparing to start college in September. I would remind myself that the reason I was so successful and happy in high school is because I was myself. As simple as this seems, it is something that took me some time to realize in high school and something I forgot during my first week of college. Stanford has a weeklong orientation the week before classes in which I tried to impress everyone and do everything I possibly could. By the end of the week, I felt overwhelmed, lonely, and undeserving of my acceptance to such a renowned institution. It took wise words from my girlfriend to remind me to stop worrying about what others thought and to do what made me happy and nothing more. They are words that I wish I would?ve heard before orientation because once I embraced that wisdom, I felt a large weight fall off of my shoulders. When I finally stepped back and stopped stressing out over trying to get everyone to like me, I found myself happy and feeling at home with a few good friends.

Not many people can say they lead a laidback life when they are being graded on a curve against the smartest students in America. Stanford is unique in that the student that is attracted here is hard working and talented, yet at the same time sociable and relaxed. It?s not a place where you come to compete against others and try and get the best GPA. What matters most here is the ability to learn from experts in every field. Everyone knows how to work hard, but they also know the importance of unwinding and having a good time.

The California weather is definitely worth bragging about to my friends in northeastern Pennsylvania, but the high caliber of students that surround me are truly incredible. I've met potential Olympic athletes, math prodigies, and novelists. I have yet to find someone that doesn't have at least one outstanding aspect to them. It is inspiring to be surrounded by the future leaders of the world.

Sheel

My classmates are motivated and engaged.

My classmates are motivated and engaged.

I would make sure that I took some to do introspection so I understood the real reason I was coming to college. Yes, learning in the classroom is critical, and probably of the utmost importance. However, it is also of critical importance to make lasting relationships and robust networks outside of the classroom. These, in the professional world, will prove to be invaluable. Socially, they will be your best friends and friends for life. I would make sure that I was able to balance my social life and academic life through accountability, in the shape of schedules and planning. I would tell myself to do things that force me to break out of my comfort zone; have experiences that I couldn't have anywhere else and take me out of my bubble. I have found that I learn more from these experiences, even though they are harder, than from anything else. Finally, I would try and have more guts to go in and talk with world-renowned professors. They have an unbelievable wealth of knowledge that they are always willing to share with students. It is up to us to go seek it.

I wish I had known how difficult the quarter system was. It seems people are always taking midterms and taking exams, much more than at semester schools. As a result, falling behind can be detrimental.

The first piece of advice I would give my high-school self would be to remain focused from the very beginning. During high school, I was easily able to balance my studies with community service and extracurriculars. I approached college with the same mentality and bit off way more than I could chew my first quarter at Stanford, starting with an absurd number of units, as well as signing up for several on-campus groups. Furthermore, the exciting people I met there made it easy to get swept away in social activities. I ended up dropping classes, finding it hard to adjust to the fast-paced work schedule, and let my extracurricular involvement slide. I would tell my high school self to approach college more seriously, take on a more reasonable work load and then really devote my energies to excelling in those courses/activities. Although college is about self-discovery and meeting new people, I would remind myself to strike a delicate balance between social endeavors and academics; both communication and technical knowledge and skill will play essential roles in my future as a doctor.

I wish I had known that the era of academic competition is no longer important. There is such a diversity of brilliance at Stanford that there is just no point in competing - I have to strive for my personal best, as cliched as this sounds. I began by taking overly-challenging classes that weren't tailored to my skill or interests, thinking it was what "everyone" was doing. I should have started off by taking the classes that truly sparked an interest in me to have avoided a lot of stress and boredom.

I thought that, going to a top-tier university, I would find people who would make smart choices in terms of their studies, priorities and allocation of time. This is true for many of the people I've met, but at the same time I've seen a lot of irresponsibility. Students get embarrassingly drunk and sick every weekend, play beer pong down the hall, and a few have been taken away via ambulance for alcohol poisoning. My university's "laissez faire" alcohol policy is so frustrating - it downplays the consequences of drinking and undermines the honor of being here.

DiAngelo

I would like to finish my senior year with a better record during my football season. I was the Quarterback for my team and I would have like to complete in the next level of the area-playoffs. I had a Great Senior year! I wish I could of done more activities my freshman year, or had some kind of guidiance then.

Nothing, its how you make of the situations.

Everyone has the right to choose their education. The word shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.