Stanford, CA
Stanford University

There are lots of really smart people here, but they aren't geeks--smart but normal and very social.

My college experience has been one of growth and new experiences. It has been invaluable for me to meet new people from different parts of the country and the world and to learn that we all have a common bond--to learn, to grow and to expand our knowledge. By attending college, I have also learned what it is like to be more independent, open-minded and appreciative of the gifts that each one of us has to offer. Finally, I have had the opportunity to take classes in subject areas that I might not have ventured into if I had not attended college and that has allowed me to expand my mind.

The social and party life is not as extensive as I had hoped.

Randy

Retrospect is always 20/20 and this applies extensively to the naive high school senior I was while preparing to start college in September. I would remind myself that the reason I was so successful and happy in high school is because I was myself. As simple as this seems, it is something that took me some time to realize in high school and something I forgot during my first week of college. Stanford has a weeklong orientation the week before classes in which I tried to impress everyone and do everything I possibly could. By the end of the week, I felt overwhelmed, lonely, and undeserving of my acceptance to such a renowned institution. It took wise words from my girlfriend to remind me to stop worrying about what others thought and to do what made me happy and nothing more. They are words that I wish I would?ve heard before orientation because once I embraced that wisdom, I felt a large weight fall off of my shoulders. When I finally stepped back and stopped stressing out over trying to get everyone to like me, I found myself happy and feeling at home with a few good friends.

Not many people can say they lead a laidback life when they are being graded on a curve against the smartest students in America. Stanford is unique in that the student that is attracted here is hard working and talented, yet at the same time sociable and relaxed. It?s not a place where you come to compete against others and try and get the best GPA. What matters most here is the ability to learn from experts in every field. Everyone knows how to work hard, but they also know the importance of unwinding and having a good time.

The California weather is definitely worth bragging about to my friends in northeastern Pennsylvania, but the high caliber of students that surround me are truly incredible. I've met potential Olympic athletes, math prodigies, and novelists. I have yet to find someone that doesn't have at least one outstanding aspect to them. It is inspiring to be surrounded by the future leaders of the world.

Sheel

My classmates are motivated and engaged.

My classmates are motivated and engaged.

I would make sure that I took some to do introspection so I understood the real reason I was coming to college. Yes, learning in the classroom is critical, and probably of the utmost importance. However, it is also of critical importance to make lasting relationships and robust networks outside of the classroom. These, in the professional world, will prove to be invaluable. Socially, they will be your best friends and friends for life. I would make sure that I was able to balance my social life and academic life through accountability, in the shape of schedules and planning. I would tell myself to do things that force me to break out of my comfort zone; have experiences that I couldn't have anywhere else and take me out of my bubble. I have found that I learn more from these experiences, even though they are harder, than from anything else. Finally, I would try and have more guts to go in and talk with world-renowned professors. They have an unbelievable wealth of knowledge that they are always willing to share with students. It is up to us to go seek it.

I wish I had known how difficult the quarter system was. It seems people are always taking midterms and taking exams, much more than at semester schools. As a result, falling behind can be detrimental.

The first piece of advice I would give my high-school self would be to remain focused from the very beginning. During high school, I was easily able to balance my studies with community service and extracurriculars. I approached college with the same mentality and bit off way more than I could chew my first quarter at Stanford, starting with an absurd number of units, as well as signing up for several on-campus groups. Furthermore, the exciting people I met there made it easy to get swept away in social activities. I ended up dropping classes, finding it hard to adjust to the fast-paced work schedule, and let my extracurricular involvement slide. I would tell my high school self to approach college more seriously, take on a more reasonable work load and then really devote my energies to excelling in those courses/activities. Although college is about self-discovery and meeting new people, I would remind myself to strike a delicate balance between social endeavors and academics; both communication and technical knowledge and skill will play essential roles in my future as a doctor.

I wish I had known that the era of academic competition is no longer important. There is such a diversity of brilliance at Stanford that there is just no point in competing - I have to strive for my personal best, as cliched as this sounds. I began by taking overly-challenging classes that weren't tailored to my skill or interests, thinking it was what "everyone" was doing. I should have started off by taking the classes that truly sparked an interest in me to have avoided a lot of stress and boredom.

I thought that, going to a top-tier university, I would find people who would make smart choices in terms of their studies, priorities and allocation of time. This is true for many of the people I've met, but at the same time I've seen a lot of irresponsibility. Students get embarrassingly drunk and sick every weekend, play beer pong down the hall, and a few have been taken away via ambulance for alcohol poisoning. My university's "laissez faire" alcohol policy is so frustrating - it downplays the consequences of drinking and undermines the honor of being here.

DiAngelo

I would like to finish my senior year with a better record during my football season. I was the Quarterback for my team and I would have like to complete in the next level of the area-playoffs. I had a Great Senior year! I wish I could of done more activities my freshman year, or had some kind of guidiance then.

Nothing, its how you make of the situations.

Everyone has the right to choose their education. The word shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary.

Matthew

Stanford is an academically challenging, fantastic research university in a phenomenal location!

My current goals for my career are to go to medical school and work to become an anesthesiologist after I graduate from Stanford. In order to acheive these goals, I have participated in programs and groups on campus that have been giving me insight as to what I will need to do to gain entrance into a good medical school. If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would definitely recommend improved study habits and better attention to AP exams. I realize now that I could have placed out of many freshman classes had I scored higher on these exams and took them much more seriously. Attending college at a major university has forced me to be a much better student, at times relearning key concepts brushed over in high school. I believe my time in high school should have included more time reading current events and learning self-discipline tools. As I mature, learning becomes less of a chore and more of a quest for knowledge and self-understanding.

My school is academicaly one of the strongest in the Nation. In addition to the great academics, the people are warm and understanding. I plan to major in Human Biology and Stanford is known for their great research opportunities. I have learned so much in only one quarter at Stanford and look forward to a great education all four years. I plan to get involved in research, and plan to attend an over seas program at the Great Barrier Reef . Stanford offers a multiude of challenges and opportunities. I am priviledged to be a student here.

Jena

Enjoy your time at home. Enjoy your friends. Stop thinking about college because it?s coming no matter how much you stress about it. You?ll be fine wherever you end up, and, though the rejection letters hurt quite a bit, you?ll end up happier than you could?ve imagined. Honestly, the school you will attend doesn?t matter nearly as much as the attitude you have going into it. Be happy that you?re able to get such an opportunity, an opportunity to learn and grow in a whole new environment! Be happy that you have family and friends that support that growth and will help you in any way that they can. Take this attitude with you when it?s time to leave for college, but don?t forget to enjoy yourself in the time before you get there. Senior year and summer passes quicker than any other time in your life so far. So, though you?re anxious and excited for what is to come (as you should be!) don?t get caught up in the future until you?re actually there. It?s waiting patiently for you.

By far, the absolute best thing about Stanford is its fertile learning environment. The school, the staff, the students?everyone is so encouraging and supportive when it comes to learning. The school puts on interesting events and brings speakers to talk about relevant issues, the teachers are always available for extra help in a class and are never judgmental, and other students are almost always willing to help each other out. I was expecting a harsh, competitive environment when I arrived here. What I?ve been most pleasantly surprised by is the overall feeling of synergy on campus.

The worst thing I?ve experienced at Stanford is probably how much freshman dorms are segregated. It?s a little difficult to get to know other people outside your dorm for the first month or so. On that note, though, there are myriad extracurricular activities to choose from, which are a great place to meet different people! Adding to that the fact that almost every student participates in some outside activity, it?s really not too hard to meet people overall.

Paul

Stanford is the greatest place on earth so come here!

Stanford is the greatest place on earth so come here!

Work harder than you ever have. Don't ever skip a class. Have fun... but only because you work hard and play hard.

Don't try to balance too many extra-curriculars.

Ronald

College is like spending a day at the amusement park with the fastest, tallest rides and the most entertaining games. Between studying, meeting best friends, and doing extracurricular activities, one can have a great experience. With limited time, it seems logical to run as fast as possible in order to ride every roller coaster and play every game. But, it?s very important not to run too fast, trip, or run out of energy too soon. Trying to do too much too fast will prevent you from enjoying each activity to the fullest and might hurt you in the long run. Fortunately, college gives you plenty of time to explore your interests, ride your favorites, and play every game. Some people even find a passion, talent, or skill in a particular field and enjoy devoting the majority of their time to it. Just as you might get a little dizzy on a ride or two at an amusement park, sometimes classes may be quite taxing. Just as the tickets and food for theme parks are often overpriced, so too is rising tuition costs and fees. Just be sure to remind yourself why you came there in the first place.

Open-minded, involved, driven, intelligent, passionate, caring, service-oriented

Lazy, overly conservative, hateful, disrespectful

Patrick

Amount of helpful resources dedicated to the student body.

One of the most important features of a successful college experience is efficient time-management. Your intelligence, skills, and even attitude become ineffective without managing your time properly. Avoid habits and attitudes that may lead to procrastination, neglectfulness, etc. in all aspects of your college experience, whether academic or social. In doing so, there will be time for most of your interests and any new ones you may wish to pursue. Since college offers many new and exciting opportunites, it would be a good idea to experience as many as you can. To do so, however, again requires you to manage your (limited) time well. It is therefore of the utmost importance to do so. By adopting this mentality and developing habits conducive to managing your time well, your experience at college will be richer and more fullfilling than you can possibly imagine.

Stanford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.