Stanford University Top Questions

asa

nice

Ravina

Fellow students tend to be very artistic, proactive, critical thinkers who like to compete and push each other to the limits creating an intellectual energy that makes the campus vibrant.

Nadia

The students of Stanford have almost infinitely varied personalities, passions, and talents, but share a common drive to excel in their chosen fields and to make a difference in the world.

Katrice

My classmates varied, because we were such a diverse group: conservative, extremely liberal, environmentally-centric, religious, non-religious, rich, poor, racially-diverse, internationally-diverse, scientists and sociologists to artists, musicians and music producers. There was everything under the rainbow.

Courtney

Stanford students are driven and ambitious, but also highly engaged with the world around them and deeply concerned about making an impact. They are high-achievers but also some of the most driven to give back to the places they came from and the people that allowed them to find their success. They are a diverse bunch with all kinds of interests, passions, and backgrounds.

Eric

My classmates are often easy-going and friendly in their personal lives, as well as being immensely talented in a wide variety of areas, with a strong passion for whatever they're studying and a desire to share their passion with everyone around them. You might not realize it until you get them talking about themselves and their interests, but every student you meet on campus is exemplary in some way, even if the majority of them aren't prodigies or nationally renowned.

Rebecca

Nerds for most of the time.

Danny

Students at Stanford are amazing. Everyone is so unique and different that you'll definitely find a lot of people with similar interests as you. Also, everyone is so friendly that you'll have no problem being yourself and fitting in. You can literally go to a random table at lunch and start up a conversation with anyone, and you'lll leave with a new friend.

Danny

Darien

There is only one kind of student that would feel slightly out of place here. One of the kinds of students that would feel out of place would be the student that didn't do any extra activities in highschool, didn't get straight A's, and never did well on the AP tests. This is basically the very average of highschool students that somehow got into Stanford one way or another. I happen to face this personally. It is difficult to be among your friends while they talk about how easy a class is and how they don't do this or don't do that. The thing to remember is that you are in the same exact place as they are and that is a fact. Sure, they may have had much better grades in highschool than yourself, but there is something that you have that sets you apart from them. From my knowledge most students interact with most other students. The athletes with the CS majors, the men and women, the graduates and freshman. There are four tables in the dining hall. What do I see? Well, I am going to explain what I see pretty literally. The table I sit at is filled with people that live in my same dorm. I live in the Asian - American themed dorm, so most of them are some sort of Asian. This dorm of mine is in the center of the freshman dorm. That means that the rest of the tables are filled with, yes, freshman (I am a junior). At lest one of the tables will be talking about the coming presidential elections. Another table will be talking about how their Intro to Humanities classes all suck (these are mandatory for all freshman and they also suck). The last table is talking about anything ranging from dorm Snow Trips to a musical or random stuff on the internet, which is usually the case.

Yasmine

Overall, very unpretentious. BUT there's always that one person in your introductory freshman class you'll want to strangle after they raise their hand for the fifth time to highlight just how very smart they are. Overall, very busy. Typically, the academics will make up 70 to 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our busyness. The rest usually involves student group involvement, extracurricular hobbies, and socializing. Overall, very liberal. Those who are aren't liberal tend to keep their views to themselves - in fact, I remember one professor beseeching conservative students to speak up in a lecture class. Either none were there or the few who were felt too outnumbered to speak up. Overall, awesome. It's very easy to find people you like. Assuming you're not a hardcore conservative.

Jasmine

My classmates are unpredictable, talented, bright, inquisitive, confident, diverse, and intellectual.

Sheel

My classmates are motivated and engaged.

Francine

Helpful

Cameron

If you are an urbanista at all, Stanford is not for you. Also, if you have much of a social conscience, you are going to get frustrated pretty fast - most of the student body is content to just rest on their laurels. Racially diverse, though you never seen anyone of color because they are pretty busy self-segregating. Stanford is generally left-leaning, but there is a surprisingly large and vocal conservative community on campus. The Athlete culture is pretty large and unwelcoming at Stanford. Most athletes I've encountered aren't exactly Stanford material for the most part, but Stanford does a good job of sneaking themin the back door. Sports culture is HUGE at stanford.

Raillan

They are people who like comfort, and so try to make Stanford into more of a country club than a university.

Diana

My classmates are friendly, lively, and smart people who manage well in school but also have a lot of time to have fun.

Mio

They come from diverse backgrounds, both academically and ethnically.

Kathy

Students are optimistic, fun, and intellectual.

Justin

Bright, creative, career-oriented, friendly, socially liberal and relaxed.

Karl

Students at Stanford come from around the world and will likely be some of the most interesting people you will ever meet.

Andrew

Stanfordites are a diverse group in every way: ethnically/racially, politically, socially, and in almost any other way imaginable, so your experience is really about finding your own niche (which you undeniably will) and who fills it.

Feranmi

Eager, intelligent, and hardworking students who are open to new ideas and perspectives.

Friendly

Paige

Very diverse, very lame, incredibly low social IQ

Sasha

Stanford University is among the most liberal universities in the country. San Francisco lifestyle definitely had its influence on the collage life. The gay community is very active and well accepted. All religions are present and can be practiced without intimidation and racial diversity is one of the mane emphasizes of the university. Students usually wear flip flops, t shirt and shorts. The only way people could not fit in is by wearing a Rolex to class. But even then: just take it of and be part of the casual and fun Stanford community.

Tate

What do most students wear to class? Flip flops, casual summer clothes. Where are most Stanford students from? California (~40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} I think). But there are many international students, and lots of opportunities to meet people from diverse backgrounds. A lot of my friends are international, which is great for broadening my world perspective (and also places to stay when I travel :) Political leanings? Left mostly. But actually, many students would qualify for center because a lot of us can be apathetic about politics (pre-Obama, that is). Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? Definitely. This is possibly more a hallmark of Generation Millenium than Stanford students. But common themes seem to be both making a lot of money, as well as saving the world (not necessarily incompatible goals). Stanford has an especially entrepreneurial environment, given it's location in the heart of Silicon Valley. It's not uncommon here for people to start their own companies while they are still in school.

Students seem not to care about many issues and are usually so busy with academics that they don't become very involved in important activism. There appears to be a lot of on-campus apathy.

Luke

Lots of diversity on campus- from theme houses to social awareness programs. All lifestyles are accepted, and whatever group you fit into there will be plenty of people like you. There are students from all over the world. I like to say that I could go anywhere in the world and be able to stay with someone I know or someone they know. Most people are liberal. Very few people brag or boast about backgrounds. One of my very good friends/drawmate is a millionaire, but I didn't know it for an entire year. Very few are stuck up. It seems that everyone did some sort of sport in high school, even if they aren't an athlete at Stanford.

Jordan

We are diverse and accepting I would say, for the exact stats, check the Atanford website.

Jordan

The student body generally leans left politically, but debate is always encouraged and civil. Lots of different types of students definitely interact and I feel like this is a very open place. Nobody ever talks about how much they earn and the environment is invariably supportive.

Peaches

As students, I think we're pretty diverse in any direction you care to take it. Religious, political, racial, socio-economic, geographical, sexual, party style, interests... There's a reason we have a large amount of student groups on campus! Most students are accepting of differences and seem to look past them completely. I've definitely made friends for life.

Carrie

I met my best friends in the world at Stanford. We are a very multi-culti mix: half christian-half jewish, bangladeshi american, chinese american, and white christian. We came from differing financial backgrounds, but our interests definitely overlapped. I don't know that we are stereotypical Stanford students, but I don't think we're too far off.

John

Politically, you should expect that Stanford students tend to lean left, as do most bright, well-educated people, especially in the Bay Area. However, there are plenty of conservatives both among the student body (certain fraternities, for example) and at the now-infamous Hoover Institution. At Stanford, I even had a few Evangelical Christian friends. There are many Mormons at Stanford, and many Muslims as well. One of my favorite classes was on Buddhist philosophy. You get the idea.

Andrew

I realize that nobody can influence US News and World Report, so it's best to educate prospective college students with the facts. I've been there, and done that. Don't go to Stanford for your undergraduate degree, but DO go there for your graduate degree

Chris

The students here are incredibly diverse, like a mini U.N. With the recent changes in financial aid policy, the school will become even more socio-economically diverse.

Ben

Stanford is a very relaxed place and is ostenstatiously diverse, with lots of minority representation and a small but growing LGBQ community. However, this superficial tolerance often conceals serious tension between different religious and ethnic groups. There are plenty of rich kids and children-of-the-famous, but also lots of students from middle- and lower-class socioeconomic backgrounds. Everyone mixes pretty freely. Campus style is pretty bland, with a lot of sweats and flip-flops, though people have been getting more stylish over the last year or so. People tend to be friendly, relaxed and pretty egalitarian. People who care about art and style may initially feel out of place; they find their scene, but often more slowly. There are a fair number of attractive people, but dating is hard and people tend to be hesitant about relationships. Also, though the LGBQ scene is improving, attractive gay men and women are hard to come by and dating is near impossible.

Gene

I love the people at Stanford! People are so open, friendly, and accepting. As an international student, I was really worried about fitting in, but it was never a problem for me. I never got asked "if I ride an elephant to class in India." People were very knowledgeable, and also very interested to learn more about my culture. Something I'll always be grateful to the Stanford community is for never making me feel like an outsider. I have met great people at Stanford, and have made amazing friends.

Parker

The bulk of students are pre-professional, apathetic and wealthy. That being said, there are tons of interesting people and a moderate, but fun, counter culture. It's known as having a cliquey campus and that's true to the extent that people break off in different social groups, but the student body is wholly unpretentious and to use a term many would describe themselves with, "hella chill."

Cameron

One of the things that struck me about Stanford was its diversity and how I immediately felt comfortable being myself here. Everyone talks to everybody, and there isn't really separations between "groups" of people. It's really easy to feel comfortable here.

Reese

I traveled in many circles, but, that being said, groups are clique-ish. I can imagine minority racial groups feeling out of place, but perhaps more so in the classroom, as there are many racially-focused student groups. Different students sometimes interact. Four tables of students: athletes, sorority girls, fraternity boys, programmers. Most Stanford students are Asian and from California (I'm neither). Financial backgrounds: wealthy. Students are not generally politically aware, except with regard to narrow issues such as LGBT rights, but the majority proclaim themselves to be Liberals. Students don't often talk about money.

Torry

I have the most experience with the Black community and the international community at Stanford. Being a part of the Black community was both comforting and challenging; I'm from Ethiopia, so while I identify as Black, that identity is somewhat different from being Black and African American. Stanford students are generally liberal, but racism and other forms of discrimination do happen. I don't know if there is any one type of student who would feel comfortable/uncomfortable at Stanford, I just think it depends on the smaller community they are a part of, most importantly their dorm. Students here are very casual about the way they dress - I've worn PJs to class a few times. You get a range though, there are also students who won't be caught dead not looking their best.

I don't think there is enough radicalism on campus, but part of that might be because I am not highly engaged in those communities. I have spent some time in the political activist circles, and I just remember feeling so frustrated at how difficult it is to get other students to care about these prevalent and overwhelmingly important issues. That is the trade off for Stanford students being so busy and engaged in what they are doing--they often don't have time to be "sidetracked" by other important things you are doing. I don't know that there is necessarily a type of student who would feel uncomfortable at Stanford, because I feel like there are a lot of niche communities, and everyone seems to find people they can relate to and form solid relationships with. There is definitely interaction between the different types of students, as long as both are open-minded to each other. For example, one coop I lived in is directly across the street from one of the most notoriously "fratty" fraternities. Every year for Halloween the fraternity and the coop have a "Pumpkins and 40s" party, where frat guys dress up as crazy hippies with flowing skirts and marijuana leaf necklaces, and coop hippies dress up as ridiculous frat guys, with three pastel polo shirts with starched popped collars and designer sunglasses. It is a hilarious satire, all in good jest, and together the two houses drink beer and carve pumpkins. Most Stanford students are solidly middle to upper class, but I think for the most part the issue of economic status is pretty well masked at Stanford (unless someone intentionally wants to make theirs known). I'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing, but it seems to be the case. Students are definitely predominantly left, but there is still a healthy amount of political debate (at least on the individual level, but definitely not on the university-sanctioned event level). There is a wider representation of the political spectrum amongst the faculty, with the Hoover Institute and the Economics department being notoriously conservative.

Jill

There is a HUGE amount of diversity on campus! There is a place for everyone, and people are exceptionally accepting of different backgrounds, interests, extracurriculars, clubs, and groups.

Wyatt

All of my experiences at stanford regard surveys

Tristan

The student body is great. The best part of the school, in my opinion. I met people from countries I never knew existed (ok, well, countries I didn’t think about on a regular basis at least), and everyone was involved in extracurriculars. The only students that might feel really out of place are very poor students. It’s the one aspect of Stanford’s diversity that I thought was lacking. Everyone seems to be from at least the middle-class, and most students come from very well-to-do families. In general, students are very liberal, which sometimes clashes with the more conservative body of professors (such as the Hoover fellows). There were more independents in my Polisci 1 class than there were Republicans.