Stanford, CA

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Stereotypes: Stanford students are overcommitted, but don't let on about it. We call it the floating duck syndrome, where on the surface everything seems cool, but underneath people are scrambling to stay afloat. Stanford students don't have great social skills, and are awkward conversationalists. Stanford students don't date--they either hook up or are "married", meaning they are in a very serious relationship where they spend every waking moment together. Stanford students are overly ambitious and think they can solve all the problems in the world, and think their Stanford degree will get them there.

1. Everyone talks about the 'Duck on the Water' effect...people at Stanford seem very calm and collected when you talk to them, and deep down they are spinning furiously and are super busy. 2. People say that 9 out of 10 girls in California are attractive, and the 10th goes to Stanford. 3. "The Stanford 500"- there are only about 500 people who go out to party/have a good time on weekends. If you are one of them, you will only see these same people if you go out.

A common stereotype is that Stanford students are very laidback and have a very chill attitude. I think Stanford students are more laidback than some of their counterparts on East Coast universities, but people definitely care a lot about school, and aren't as "laidback" as commonly perceived.

Stereotype #1: Stanford is snotty and conservative. Stereotype #2: Stanford students love their textbooks more than life and have no social skills. Stereotype #3: Nine out of ten girls in California are hot and the tenth goes to Stanford.

One of the biggest stereotypes is that everyone at Stanford is super happy and chill--which I have found to be true most of the time but not all the time.

Students are intelligent, but probably spoiled. They work too hard. They’re all computer wizzes and engineers.

Typical stereotypes upon entry: elitism (privilege), humanitarian detachment, intelligence, drive, motivation.

We're all really smart? I didn't really have any stereotypes in mind before I came.

The calm duck on the pond paddling furiously underneath the water to stay afloat.

I can't really say anything to that other than that they're smart and talented.