Bradenton, FL
State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota

Glorida

If I were talking to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to go to school right away don't wait. Sit down and write out a short and long term goal for the future keeping in mind the lifestyle desired 5 to 10 years down the road. Then choose a school that offers your desired degree. Go to the campus talk to career advisors and financial aid counselors to be sure you know and understand what is expected of you as a student, and from them as the staff. It is ok to not know which path you want to take at this time but, be sure to do your homework check out each option carefully don't take unnecessary courses. Consider living with parents to reduce living expenses. Develop good study habits and surround yourself with peers who have a goal to met with determination to complete them. Stay focused, keep your work load manageable, and if you don't do well on an assignment don't give up, just work even harder on the next one. You can acheive any goal if you stay focused on the task at hand.

The helpful staff members are the best. The advisors in the finacial aid department are willing to help you to understand your status, money is in accounts on time and you don't deal with cash money because they will put it on a MasterCard for you. Career advisors are very helpful as far as assisting you with career decisions. The career center on campus is open to test your skill sets and recomend a career for you. The directors of the different departments, such as Nursing, have also been a great help in answering questions about the course.

Parking is the worst. With the amount of students attending the school now the lots are mostly filled by 8am and students have to part on the greass far away from classes or in the overflow parking lot which is not paved. You have to get to school early to find a parking spot or risk being late while waiting for someone to come out of class and leave campus so you can take their parking spot.

Cindy

What I find unique about attending Manatee Community College is the beautiful campus setting, with its modern classrooms and continuous growth through new construction to offer more resources to its students. Also, Manatee Community College is in a transitional phase to offer bachelor degree programs and has in fact changed their name to State College of Florida to indicate this.

If I could go back in time to influence myself in high school about attending college, I would recommend to my high school self to develop better studying skills and to make long term and short term goals to help keep my eye on the prize and anticipate obstacles along the way by thinking through with creative solutions and not to get discouraged and quit. Further, I would tell myself that pursuing a degree requires other skills beyond studying and attending class; it requires vision for the future, to see what life you want, because regardless of the fact that you may not feel driven to pursue a career in high school, you will not always be in high school. Out there is a life that will include financial and personal responsibilities, and regardless of whether or not you have a degree, you will have to work to meet those responsibilities. The difference is you can have some measure of stability and financial gain that a degree offers.

The kind of person that shouldn?t attend Manatee Community College would be someone with unlimited resources that doesn?t need to take advantage of the savings attending a community college offers. Also, that person, should be someone who isn?t intimidated to go straight to a 4-year university right out of high school or with no exposure to the college environment, as a community college offers an easy transition between high school and a 4-year university, by taking advantage of the more accessible resources by way of academic advisors and the administration staff.

Heather

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in High School, I would give myself alot of ideas. First, I would tell myself to take a small load at the beginning to get used to college techniques and study. Second, I would talk about getting help the minute I began having trouble with my courses. Third, I would find my learning style, then, practice techniques that would help me study. Fourth, I would make a time management schedule. Fifth, I would apply for scholarships to make my college experience less stressful. Concluding, my experience in college has taught me several successful tips, however, I do wish I knew all these techniques at my first attempt to college eleven years ago.

The type of person who should not attend Manatee Community College, is an unmotivated person. Someone who does not like to study, read, and do homework. Also, a person who will not take college seriously, should not attend. The reason, is they fill up enrollment, therefore, they take space in a classroom that could be for an enthusiastic learner.

The most frustrating thing about Manatee Community College is finacial aid. First, financial aid usual has a long line of people. Second, if I call financial there is a long holding time, or if I leave a message it can take a couple days for them to get back to me.

Caitlin

Manatee Community College is a beneficial, and challenging learning environment with a diversity in student ethnicity as well as a highly trained faculty, most of whom posess a doctorate in their field, enabling students with a more advanced level of expertise in his/her educational experience.

Manatee Community College is the first college I have attended, but it is evident that from these past two years that this college is unique. The atmosphere in and around the campus is peaceful, and beautifully landscaped. When a student first starts college, he/she should have an ease in transition, allowing for greater chance of success. MCC provides students with a beginning that they can build on; gradually increasing the difficulty of courses, making it easier for students to work towards individual success, and feasible goals. The students and faculty are friendly, and make one feel at home.

Making the transition to college was especially difficult for me. I was a bit of a procrastinator, waiting ten years after high school graduation to go back to school. I wouldn't consider it a mistake, but rather a learning experience I could never have accquired in college. Now that I have returned to college at the age of 32, I find myself taking my studies far more seriously, and am completely devoted to my goals. I have earned a 3.95 in my Associates degree, and have been accepted into an honor society, Phi Theta Cappa. Looking back, I wouldn't change any decisions I have made as they all have helped to sculpt me into the person I am today. Returning to school later in life was the right choice for me. I learned who I was, and what I wanted to do in life, and when I was ready I gave it my all. College has given me the uttmost confidence in myself to pursue and conquer every personal goal. My advice to myself would be to keep challenging myself, and continue following through with success and determination.

Erica

I would begin by reflecting on the road blocks that I created for myself as a colloge student and then I would begin by saying this. Erica, you are a single mother of one child and how do you suppose that you are going to be able to financially support you and a child without a higher education. I would than tell myself that college is not to be taking likely I would encourage myself to set goals and have a time frame in which I should be finish with college. I would reinforce myself to only take courses that are needed for me to obtain my degree. I would also tell myself not to sign up for any courses that can not be given a 100% effort in passing with a grade A or B. I would say set high academic standards and achieve them by any means necessary. I would say Erica college can be an exciting, fun, and rewarding experience, but you only get what you put into it. So with that being said take nothing for granted always do your best and aim high because the sky is the limit. Know your resources and have fun.

A person who has not set down and thought about the resposibility that college can have on your life. College can have an affect on your life in a number of ways fiancially and personally in my own personal experience with college I feel that one can have a better success rate if they are fully aware of the hard work and sacrafices that they will have to put into college in order to succceed.

How excited I am when I do well on a test and when I pass a course just knowing that I am getting closer to my graduation date is a feeling that I can not explain, but one that I will never forget .

Leah

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to focus more on saving my money. I would also spend more time talking to counselors and applying for scholarships. Now that I am attending college I am having trouble financially and I wish I would have focused more on that. Especially since I am now preparing to transfer to a university where I will have to pay for rent as well as tuition being higher. In these past 2 years attending Manatee Community College I have gone to school full time as well as held 3 steady jobs to pay for all of my expenses. This semester I am attending school 17 credit hours and working an average of 43 hours a week. It would have saved me some of this stress if I would have looked more into the future while I was a high school senior instead of just thinking about what was fun at the time.

I consider the best thing about MCC to be the helpful faculty and staff. It made the transition from high school to college easier to handle. The faculty educates with the difficulty of a university but there are less students so they can have a more one on one interaction with their students. This is helpful when I have questions with the curriculum the professors are available for assistance.

When I talk to my friends about Manatee Community College I brag most about the fact that it is so close to home, therefore I don't need to pay rent. I can live with my parents, go to school, and hold a job to pay for my education and other bills such as car insurance and my cell phone bill.

October

Assuming I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are a few things I would tell myself. First off, I would prepare myself financially. College can become very expensive, and the earlier you start saving, the better. I would have told myself to start putting away money and stop wasting it on unnecessary goods. Also, I would have prepared my education a little bit better. I would tell myself to look into the Advanced Placement college courses offered at my high school, and even look into Dual Enrolling in the local college. I really think that doing so would?ve greatly helped me financially as Dual Enrollment is free whereas when you?re actually in college you have to pay tuition costs. Taking college courses while still in high school would also prepare me for the change in environment from high school to college. This preparation would?ve reduced the shock that I received in making the transition from high school to college.

The school I currently attend is truthfully a very nice school. I only have one complaint, and that would be the staff. I personally believe that some of the faculty there should not be teaching. A few of the teachers I had, had no idea what they were teaching. Some of my professors barely even spoke English. One of my professors had come back after not teacher for 8 years, and he could hardly remember the material. While I understand that it is hard to find teachers with this economy, they definitely need to have higher standards when hiring faculty.

I believe all types of people should attend school. Whether they know what they want to do in life or not, they should still take the opportunity to attend. Anyone can do anything they desire as long as they try. If they have the will to attend school, they should go ahead and do it. There is no certain ?type? of person that should attend school. Young people especially should take their opportunity now to attend school and even just attain a basic A.A. degree; the longer they wait the harder it will be to achieve what they need.

Jonathan

Manatee Community College is the doorway to a better future that allows us to rise above our surroundings.

When you think of a community plagued by poverty and drugs you think of Bradenton. Manatee Community College is the cure, the safe haven to errogance. The school is best known for its intellectual pooling here in our town. We view it as one of the only ways out of the county. You'll find people struggling to reach new hights here. Our Nursing program has the most pull as far as students. However we have an excellent transfer program and resources to take you anywhere. When you think Manatee Community college, its not community, but rather its student population.

Please don't shoot for MIT theres no need to over pay for schooling. Start studying now and try for bright futures. Keep on studying spanish and try to obtain an assosiates in high school. Forget the crowd of people and rise above there words , there just words, they will only hinder your colloege going. Take the SAT but Prep first with the psat. Watch for those scholarships on fastweb and the career resource center. Live and breath in the books you love and what ever angers you try to understand fully. Apply to USF and UF and UCF as soon as you can. Don't work full time senior year, instead secure you funding for college a more intellegent way, by sitting down and writing a bit.

Janyel

Manatee Community College (now State College of Florida), has improved it's standards and is an excellent college for outgoing high school students to attend, especially if they are from Bradenton.

The biggest advice that I would give myself is take summer classes. As much as you want to take a break over summer, it's better to take one or two summer classes to ease the transition stage, and that way you don't have to take 5-6 classes a semester. I also would tell myself, it's perfectly okay, and nothing to be ashamed about to stay at home and go to commmunity college. Community college is much cheaper, and it's easier to transition and grow into maturity, rather than get thrown into the drinking ,partying world of a university. I was always ashamed of going to a community college, but in reality, I'm better off than all my old friends who moved away. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I can, because you never know when you're going to need that money, especially with today's economy. Finally, stay focused, and don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams, because you are who you make yourself to be.

The worst thing about our school is the advising. Most advisors are not as helpful as they should be or knowledgable in helping students move on from the community college level. Most students have to figure out what they need for their AA by themselves, and hope that they get it right.

My school allows me to live at home and create a flexible schedule so I am able to work at my job as well. The campus is 10 minutes from my house and the tuition is free due to scholarships I have mainted thus far

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be to learn how to manage my time well. I have had to learn how to juggle a job, school, and soccer. At the same time I would tell myself to not stress out about the transition to college. It is not a huge one, the transition mainly is just making sure you grow up and accept responsibilities. College life allows much more freedom because you make your own schedule and teachers don't hunt you down if you are not attending their classes. Basically, my advice would be, keep your head up, it doesn't get a lot harder it is just another step that I will be taking to better and further my life.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be motivated, determined, and want to learn. Just as at many schools a person attending Manatee Community College should be ready to teach themseleves material and dedicate time to their studies.

State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.