New Paltz, NY
State University of New York at New Paltz

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend State University of New York at New Paltz

Ashif

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would adivice myself to not waste any time on playing video game ansd start doing real reasearch paper instead of copying and pasting stuff from the internet. I think it would make my life whole a lot better if my past me knew more about the work amount the college courses have such as reading books and writinf orginal work etc. I would also tell past me about being serious about math and science as these two are pretty hard subject if you dont complelte the basic classes in high school.

Helen

THe nature and the environment. The town is located 20 minutes from the Miniwaska nature preserve as well as Mohonk mountain. The people, both in town and on campus, are friendly and outgoing and more than willing to help you if you ask.

I know what you're thinking: college is scary, you aren't ready to be an adult, this transition is going to be so hard and how are you going to meet anyone? Stop. Take a deep breath. You will be alright. In fact, you will be amazing. The transition you make from high school to college will take a lot people you thought were close friends out of your life. It may hurt, probably for a while, but it will be okay. You're going to meet people in orientation that will be friends that are more loyal and compassionate than anyone you knew in high school. You are going to make friends that you will have not only through your college years, but the rest of your life. It will be hard, and there will be challenges, but you will persevere. Stop worrying that you haven't done enough and that you aren't ready. You've done more than enough and you will continue to do more. You may not feel ready but you can handle it. You will always be able to handle it. Have faith in yourself and the universe. You will be happy.

Anyone who is willing to explore themselves and their beliefs. While for the most part we are a liberal school, you need to be able to look deeper into yourself and the issues at hand than follow blindly. If you are one for conformity, this is not the place for you.

Nick

I would have started looking into colleges earlier, instead of only looking my senior year.

The construction on campus, but that's only temporary and eventually the campus will be looking even more beautiful!

Maria

For blossoming adolescents, senior year is the pinnacle of stress. During the final fragments of childhood, young adults are pressured to make pivotal life decisions. Suddenly, we must rummage through our minds in search of a degree that is not only obtainable, but profitable. Such pressure is burdening; with the weight of the world on our shoulders, we’re left to decipher a future that’s still years away. My senior year was spent obsessing about the future instead of enjoying high school’s finale. I allowed myself to become consumed with worry and, in doing so, missed out on experiences I can never get back. Though it is pivotal to plan ahead, you shouldn’t never your anxieties paralyze you. I would assure my senior self that even the greatest obstacles are resolvable and success stems from challenge. We don’t know where life will take us, so instead of dreading things to come, we should be living in the moment. If we’re not making the best of our present days, how can we expect to illuminate the future? Live for today, dream of tomorrow, but don’t let the unknown overwhelm you.

The only person who should refrain from attending SUNY New Paltz is one without an open mind. The undergraduates I've met throughout my first year are vibrant people who love experiencing each unique opportunity that comes their way. Each student possesses their own offbeat style and enjoys letting his or her opinions be heard. We find it exhilirating to embrace new mindsets and rewrite our personal philosophies. People who prefer sticking to tradition may find themselves overwhelmed by the lax demeanor of New Paltz.

The most frustrating thing about New Paltz is the lack of communication. I came into my freshmen year with a lot of college credits. I am now in line to graduate a year early, but I feel out of the loop. None of my guidance counselors have provided me with the appropriate advice to dovetail my accelerating academic career.

Don't worry about someone else's opinion! I used to spend far too much time thinking about others' perceptions of me. Just this year, I realized that they do not matter. I'm not paying for a reputation, I'm paying for my education. I am investing in my future, which is not dependent on what the guy I almost tripped and fell onto thinks of me. You are not an opinion, or perception, or thought. You are a human being with hopes and dreams. You are a hard-working student who deserves respect. If other people can't see that, then they are missing out! People's opinions come from what you project, so if you are confident about who you are and what you are doing, then it will be acknowledged. Besides, they are usually so engrossed in their own problems that you are the last thing on their mind. And if they are judging you, they are too small-minded to be worth your valuable time.

The general attitude of the student body! Students are kind and very accepting, no matter your race, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation. As long as you want to be here, you are welcomed.

If you are interested in a school where you can never possibly know all the students, then New Paltz isn't the place for you. If you aren't passionate about what you're studying or what you want to become (or driven to find that passion), it's probably not a great fit. But it really is the right choice for a very wide variety of people.

Murshida

Everything is manageable here. We have town right by us. You can walk or take the loop bus which comes to campus. We are by the hudson valley where we can enjoy the nature and go hiking. We also are close by Poughkeepsie and the malls. We are very close to NYC. We have a lot to offer on this campus. We always have something to do on this campus, if it's not a comedy show it's a concert or a play on campus.

We are a very competitive school. We try to reach the highest level of knowledge from our classes. If we do not understand certain things in class we can go to the professors office hours and they would love to explain things to you on one on one bases. All of our departments in school are well known and we have great faculty members.

Stereotype is every where we go. I would be lying if I said that there isn't any stereotype I my school. We all stereotype each other we do it without knowing it sometimes. Some stereotype we have in school here is that the jock all stick together just like the frats too. All the groups stick together and support each other. We think that the jocks are not smart. We think that the frats are players, and they try to mess with the freshman's minds.

Christie

When applied to college, I knew I wanted to go away. I also wanted a small campus community with many options for getting involved and small classes with supportive faculty and staff . Therefore, I decided to look into New Paltz. After visiting campus, I chose to attend SUNY New Paltz because of the high quality affordable education, diversity, and beautiful location. I knew New Paltz would be a home away from home. The SUNY New Paltz staff and faculty members are supportive and caring. Students have power to easily express themselves and become involved in clubs, organizations and sports. I reassure that parents and family that their students will find happiness and comfort at SUNY New Paltz, sort of a family away from home.

There is a beautiful pound right in the middle of campus with bridges to cross over. This pound is surrounded by trees and resident halls.The academic buildings are close together on a beautifully designed concourse section. Overall, Its beautiful and green.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I personally find it easy to get work done in my dorm room. On the other hand my roommate prefers the library and computer labs. Others also enjoy sitting on a bench outside or getting work in a lounge. We have options.The best place to study and get work done varies from person to person but I can assure that everyone finds their comfort spots quickly.

Describe the dorms.

There are thirteen coed residence halls on the New Paltz campus.Students to choose from a variety of living options, including contract study, corridor or suite style, or special interest group housing. Each residence hall offers a number of student free oriented facilities and services including a laundry room, computer terminals, a main meeting lounge for hall government meetings and activities, and a study lounge. Each hall also has at least one television lounge, a kitchenette area and microwaves.

"Stoners" is a stereotype that seem to rumor around about us as SUNY New Paltz Students. The reality is that as young adults students seek for what they want at any college. However, there are strict policies on drugs and alcohol which reflect no tolerance and major consequences. University police are highly active supporting a safe environment without illegal substances.

I am currently a Psychology and Black studies major. From experience I have observed that much of the classes encourage intellectual discussions which give students more opportunity to reflect and participate. Professors like questions and even provide you with office hours and email addresses to address and questions,comments, and /or concerns. students also take initiative to form study groups and have intellectual conversations out of class. My education so far id definitely relevant to me while connecting to my other classes. I want to be a high school guidance counselor and my education is contributing to me excelling in that position and many other.

There are many fun events hosted by students and staff but i also love going out into town. New Paltz is beautiful and great for hiking and biking or just strolling along its many quiet tree-lined streets. Restaurants, retail shops and professional offices intermingle with historic stone houses built in the 17th and 18th centuries. one of New Paltz attractions is Huguenot Street, the oldest street in America, where visitors are welcome to tour the original stone houses, gaining a glimpse of 17th century colonial life. There is also a movie theater in town. The best part of it all is that this is all walking distance from campus. :)

This is a very diverse welcoming community. Students don't have to change who they are and can freely express themselves and make friends. This can be done causally or through any of the the many clubs organizations, and/or sports. Organizations range from racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and much more. It is also easy to start an organization or club of your own if wanted.

Karen

My first advice is take nothing for granted. Complete and apply for as many scholarships as you can. Do not get discouraged. Another important advice would be to stay ontop of deadlines. Important deadlines are reports, projuects, scholarship, REGISTRATION!!!! College is nothing compared to high school. School work load is more intense. Plus most likely you have to worry about jobs to. College can be very intimadeting, but ask for help feel overwhelmed talk to your advisor, teachers. They can help you!!!! ( they will understand). My last advice is all work and no play is no fun!!!!! take time

The price of books at the book store. Prices seem to rise every year ( even for used books)

For cummuters, parking has to be one of the most difficult things. Constant repairs .

Jared

When I first attended SUNY New Paltz people I knew told me it was a party school. I found out it was only a party school if you wanted it to be a party school. It is a very education focused school, which was great for me. As of recent times it seems to be known for being a "hot small state school" and its strong effort to go green.

In knowing what I now know I would sit down with my "high school self" and tell him to take a deep breathe. It's going to be a long road. At times hard and sometimes oddly easy. Just keep doing what your'e doing. Don't give in, don't give up and certainly remember where you came from. There is a lot that you are going to do. Then my "high school self" would ask: "Am I going to do ok?" To that I'll respond: "Not to worry, you've havent come this far to fall of the earth, you will be fine." Then my "high school self" will get a glimpse of hope in his young naive eye and ask: "Well, is it going to be really hard?" To that, my present "college graduate self" will reply: "My friend, you are not doing this because it is easy, you are doing this because it is difficult. JFK said that." And finally, my "high school self" will say: "Yeah, I knew that."

The registration proceess was a bit daunting. Every semester it was a small battle to obtain a seat in the classes you want or need. If the class filled up it was very difficult or nearly impossible to get a seat in that clas..

State University of New York at New Paltz administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.