New Paltz, NY
State University of New York at New Paltz

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend State University of New York at New Paltz

Rose

In my college experience I have learned to be open-minded and to never let anything distract me from what I am doing. I have learn that being serious at school means being focused and yet still be able to enjoy life and have fun. I have put passion behind every work that has been given to me in school because I know that, I need hard work in order to achieve my career goals. I have also become more enthusiastic about school and the many different subjects and lessons that I am learning. It has been valuable for me to attend college because I am learning the importance of hard work. I have come to realize that any short cut that does not require being hardworking will not bear fruits!

Stephen

It was a small liberal school within state bounds. It was both further east (towards civilization) and in country-esque surrounds. It was not a particularly expensive school. It seemed to offer all of the benefits of college while at the same time allowing me to remain unfocused for as long as I wanted. To be plain, it was a play ground where I could experiment until I matured a little more.

I've taken many things away from my college experience, so many that it's difficult to narrow down specifically what those things are. Perhaps most important is a greater understanding of myself. To give an example, think of a coffee-snob who doesn't know he is one, until one day he sips on a horrendous and foul brew; he is changed forever. Now, I don't mean to say college is a bad experience; don't get me wrong. What I really mean is that it is something without which one wouldn't really understand oneself. It is an 'experience' in the full sense. It is something one thinks back to forever-after. College allowed me to become concious of what I like and what I don't; of who I am. And that knowledge in itself is worth the time and money spent there. Again with the coffee-snob, not only did that bad cup of coffee illustrate how much more was to be desired. It allowed him to fully enjoy each and every good cup more fully. It is best to think of the experience more as an investment than a sacrifice.

Middle-class liberals, ethnically diverse people, wannabe artists, and teachers.

Teresa

New Paltz is in a great location. For people who are used to city life, New Paltz is a big change. It is located in the middle of mountains and neighboring farmland. Even with its very rural environment, New Paltz is very close to the city of Poughkeepsie, and in the middle of Albany and New York City. The people who go to SUNY New Paltz are also very unique; everything from their clothing to their values and ideals. These are people who really want to make a difference and are not afraid of what other people think of them.

When I entered college I was a typical high school student. I want more interested in who was dating who and what I should wear to school than what is going on in the world and how I can help. Things that did not affect me directly did not matter to me. College has really opened my eyes to the important things in the world and changed my values. In high school classes, I spent most of my time memorizing useless facts that I would later forget. College classes have been very different for me. In many of my classes we spend our time formulating opinions, analyzing information and becoming involved in the subject. Simply memorizing the facts is not enough. The other students at SUNY New Paltz have also opened my eyes to many interesting things. At New Paltz, people share their opinions and learn from each other. Through these interactions, I have become much more aware of issues such as poverty, the environment and political issues. As I have become more aware of these problems, I have also become more involved in fighting these problems. College has been a very eye opening experience for me.

People who are not open to new things and not accepting of diverse people should not go to New Paltz. New Paltz contains some of the most unique, confident people I know. People at New Paltz know what they believe in and what they want in life. Many people at New Paltz are very involved in community service and helping the environment. Individuals who are not interested in these things should not go to New Paltz. Students who seek college in a city would not like SUNY New Paltz because it is in a very small town.

Anthony

Through the college experience I have realized why I love education. In college I have the opportunity to learn just about anything and everything. I want to grasp this opportunity and gain all of the knowledge possible. Then again this is my flaw, also. I want to know little bits everything rather than a lot about one thing, but that is the great thing about me being in a Community College. I have taken so many classes and it brought me to the realization of where I want to take my life. I will be pursuing a major in music with an emphasis in Vocal Performance. I decided on this path because again I have had many opportunities to take many classes in any subject. I experimented in voice, choir, dance, acting, piano, even Student Government. I found out that I love all of that, but I enjoy singing the most. It has been a priceless experience because with my new found knowledge and passion, I am now ready to plow through any obstacles to reach my goal. College has given me the push that I needed to discover new talents and strengths and now I can accomplish my dreams.

Ayanna

Theres a beautiful body of water right in the middle of the campus. the scenery of the mountains are beautiful

Out of my college education I have learned how to tackle the responsibilities and obstacles of the real world. During my 4 1/2 years of undergrad I became patient with the responsibilities of school work, extra curricular activities and financial matters. I have applied my leadership skills that I've learned in college to my efforts in seeking jobs of my choice, and I have also applied my leadership skills to the jobs that have employed me since I graduated. College does not make you smarter, It makes more aware of all the wonderful opportunities in the world. Once you obtain your degree, you are put on a pedestal higher than those who have none, however you do face the same problems of those who does not have a college degree as well. But here is where you futher exercise your patience. Not only do you obtain a degree in college, you accumulate load of wonderful friends who have been through the struggles of the college life, and graduated with a vitorious outlook on life after college.

New Paltz is a very competitive school to get into. THe average student should have an outstanding transcript, an extensive extra curricular activity portfolio. There are also opportunities through the EOP program for students who have atleast a B average and are from low income houses. New Paltz is a diversed school located by the mountains. It is a wonderful school!

Leah

My school is know as the "best school in Canada" but it shold be known as the hardest.

*My School wasn't listed in the drop down- I am an American student (from NY) who has decided to study as an international student at the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, ON, Canada. This is the only school I considered that was not in the US-it had the most types of engineering offered in one school that I could find. It also had tons of activities, clubs, and sports.

So far the most valuable aspect of my college experience has been the life experience that I've gained. Honestly- its been tough. I have had to face challenges (travelling/flying alone for the first time, adapting to a non-vegan friendly town, navigating a huge city by public bus, etc.) while balancing a ridiculously intense program. (I'm in Mechanical Engineering at the "best engineering school in Canada") But these challenges have made me somewhat fearless. If I encounter a challenge now I might be upset about it for a little while but I have learned to overcome that and attack the challenge head on. College has changed me into this person that never gives up.

TANYA

LARGE SCHOOL WITH STUDENTS FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS THAT OFERS ALOT IN ACADEMICS.

I would tell myself to stop and think about my future and what do I really want out of life and a education. I would also tell myself to enjoy being a teenager in high school. I think teens have so much pressure from each other to be someone they are not and they should try being themself. High school is the last stage in life where you don't have real responsibilty and no worries about the stresses of reality. I can remember how many times my friends and I sit and say how much we miss high school. Students should not take for granted the time they have there and they should stop an enjoy it. It is also important to be responsible and do your work. I would advise myself on researching on scholarship and filling out as many as you can because that is one thing I regret I did not do. If you are undecided about a major maybe you should go to a community college and explore your options before heading out to a major university. Also, be aware of your resources and take full advantage of them.

ANY INDIVIDUAL THAT LIKES SOMEWHERE WITH NICE SCENERY AND WANTS AN EDUCATION

Charlotte

If I encountered myself during my senior year, my high school self would probably be studying for the SATs. Last year, I took that test twice, as well as the ACTs, to give myself the best advantage. I stressed and stressed over those tests, constantly practicing and learning vocab. If I were to give my former self advice knowing what I know now, it would be not to stress as much and to take advantage of what the campus has to offer. During my first semester, I started to feel extremely overwhelmed. I was not satisfied with my grades at all, I was barely getting any sleep, and I got sick fairly frequently. If I could go back, I would tell myself to visit the Writing Center on campus or go for student tutoring to get my grades back up in English. I would tell myself to visit my professors during their office hours and be proactive in getting help for myself, bot academically and physically. I would say that even though getting good grades is important, taking care of myself is far more valuable. Overall, college is stressful but the campus has lots of resources to help you deal.

Someone who is not willing to work hard. I know that sounds like pretty stereotypical answer, but SUNY New Paltz is one of the more academically challenging schools I have encountered. Although it is a state school, I have a handful of friends who go to private liberal arts colleges. The workload that they recieve from their classes is far less then the workload of most New Paltz classes. Unlike most schools, New Paltz requires students to take a minimum of 15 credits per semester. Overall, SUNY New Paltz is not a place for slackers.

My school only has one dining hall, which seriously limits types of food they can serve. Considering they alone hae to serve six thousand kids, they have to cater to everyone, which results in thm having food that noone really wants to eat. I would like to see them start to pay more attention to their comments board and possible start using free range meat and eggs. That way, I could stop having cereal for dinner!

Heather

I would give myself the advise to consider whats most important to me when deciding which school i would choose to attend. My whole senior year of high school i was set on a different college and i've never regretted changing my decision because in the end i made my decision based on whats most important. I chose to attend new paltz because of how close from home it was and being close to my family was something i wanted. I also chose it because of how good of a school it was and i liked the fact that it wasn't a university. I would also advise myself on how college was different than high school. I would tell myself that it requires much more responsibility and hard work. I would stress the importance of studying because the fast pase of college makes it more than necessary. i'd warn myself on how quickly each semester goes.

Someone that likes a nice environment and a historical town. Someone that likes being able to walk to town and visit the mountains occassionally. Also i think anyone who wants to go to a good academic college should consider attending new paltz. Anyone who is considering a career in teaching, buisness and art should consider applying. Also someone that wants to attend a small but good college.

I mostly tell them about the beautiful scenery that surrounds the college as well as the short distance it is from where i live. i find the environment that new paltz is in very enjoyable and i often show my friends the new places ive found such as minnewaska lake and mohonk mountain house as well as other various spots. I also share with them how good the college is and how i'm glad i chose to attend.

Trenna

It if was possible to go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would have told myself to do better in writing, to have a better studying routine, and to not procrastinate so much. I would have told myself to focus more on getting work done and have a set time to do it and not let the work linger. I would have told myself to take more risks and not be so scared or self concious. I would have taugh myself to not stress or worry so much and just let things fall into place. I would have tried to make more friends and learned how to approach people I dont know or have never talked to. I would have taught myself how to have a healthy relationship and not be so scared to leave an unhealthy one. If I could go back in time I would have told myself to focus more on school instead of having a B average raise it up and achieve more. I would have told myself that I can do better and not aim for average and go beyond that.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be someone who is open minded, well rounded, have a good work ethic, and someone who is not afraid to try new things. This person needs to be ready to face difficult obstacles, be patient, understanding, have a great personality and be able to be around others. There is a variety of traits this person have have and they need to have a strong attitude and know when to be serious and focus on work.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some students who have the ability to do so well dont achieve what they can do. I have alot of friends who just got the school like me, and they think that parties and going out is more important then studying or doing their work. Its very frustrating because when their grades come in they feel sorry for themselves and have alot of regret. I wish some students worked harder so it would save them the sorry to their parents who are paying for their education.

State University of New York at New Paltz administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.