State University of New York at New Paltz

« See more reviews of State University of New York at New Paltz

Attention College-bound students and parents: College is an exciting time in a young person's life. It's a time to grow academically, spiritually, and interpersonally. It's the first step towards adulthood. Of course before getting to this point, homework must be completed, tests and quizzes must be taken, participation in clubs and extracurricular activities must occur, and the dreaded SAT's must be taken!!! My advice to you is "Don't stress this process! Relax, take a deep breath! Set aside time to develop a plan! Follow through, and it'll be smooth sailing from there on out!" The most essential step in the college application process is visiting several schools. Upon the visit, ask the tour guides questions (they're friendly--trust me). If you apply to a handful (10 or more) just visit the ones that are closest and the top picks. Also, see if any schools offer a virtual tour on their websites. Additionally, apply for as many scholarships and grants that you can find (via the internet, school, family connections, etc). Finally (for students), upon choosing a school, MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR EXPERIENCE! Study hard and get involved on campus!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

I certainly could have utilized the knowledge I know possess when I was a senior in high school. Planning one's education is important. Get in touch with the faculty and students at the college to really get a first-hand account of what its like to attend that school. Picking courses also must be underscored. The best universities may have weak courses that you will regret taking so choose carefully! Try to balance social life and schoolwork because if one dominates the other it will be difficult to be a happy and healthy student. Seek to amass a variety of knowledge, try things you haven't ever tried, and go out on a limb to have new experiences which challenge your ideas. In short: be open minded! Avoid competition; humankind is at its best when it is cooperative and learns from each other. Be careful where you live (on or off campus). Your housing situation can really influence your happiness. Remember that learning comes from many places - not just the classroom! Take the most you can out of your experience; utilize all resources available to you! You're paying plenty of money for it! Last but not least, STUDY!

The abiltiy to double major and take full advantage of everthing the school has to offer me has made this school/experience invaluable. I aspire to be a professional musician who has complete artistic control of the music as well as the production behind the scenes - (kind of like the Baroque composer Handel). My goals and ambition has helped me land 3 internship - one of which was at Jimi Hendrix's studio in manhatten (Electric Lady Studios) to work with big name artists such as Coldplay and Kanye West. In the future I plan on obtaining an internship at a engineering company to hone my skills in the electrical engineering fields. The opportunitys that have opened up for me since I began attending SUNY are geared towared everything I want to do with my life and I receive full support from all my teaches and advisors. The college has made me friends and connections that will last me a lifetime. The atmosphere is fantastic - right next to woodstock - the greatest music festival ever with so many a great bands - how could you not feel inspired - especially having grown up on Motown/Oldies, blues/jazz and Classic Rock.

Finding the right college is impossible. First parents and student should not search for a college only because it has some type of prestige. There are so many schools out there that are probably a better experience. Parents and students should look at the student body, the social life, teachers, and extra-curricular activities; but as they look at all of these things, they should also understand that there is no "right college" and that there is always something that you'll find wrong with your chose, its human nature we can't help but complain. Once the student realizes this then they can make the best out of their college experience. I've had friends that complain everyday about their college, I tell them to go out and make the most of it, to find that one thing that they love about the school and stick with it. It can be anything from joining a team, club, sororiety/fraternity, or the group of friends or person that will make your college experience all the more better. Its about understanding that college is difficult and change is more difficult, but once we accept that fact we change for the better.

When I entered college I was a typical high school student. I want more interested in who was dating who and what I should wear to school than what is going on in the world and how I can help. Things that did not affect me directly did not matter to me. College has really opened my eyes to the important things in the world and changed my values. In high school classes, I spent most of my time memorizing useless facts that I would later forget. College classes have been very different for me. In many of my classes we spend our time formulating opinions, analyzing information and becoming involved in the subject. Simply memorizing the facts is not enough. The other students at SUNY New Paltz have also opened my eyes to many interesting things. At New Paltz, people share their opinions and learn from each other. Through these interactions, I have become much more aware of issues such as poverty, the environment and political issues. As I have become more aware of these problems, I have also become more involved in fighting these problems. College has been a very eye opening experience for me.

For blossoming adolescents, senior year is the pinnacle of stress. During the final fragments of childhood, young adults are pressured to make pivotal life decisions. Suddenly, we must rummage through our minds in search of a degree that is not only obtainable, but profitable. Such pressure is burdening; with the weight of the world on our shoulders, we’re left to decipher a future that’s still years away. My senior year was spent obsessing about the future instead of enjoying high school’s finale. I allowed myself to become consumed with worry and, in doing so, missed out on experiences I can never get back. Though it is pivotal to plan ahead, you shouldn’t never your anxieties paralyze you. I would assure my senior self that even the greatest obstacles are resolvable and success stems from challenge. We don’t know where life will take us, so instead of dreading things to come, we should be living in the moment. If we’re not making the best of our present days, how can we expect to illuminate the future? Live for today, dream of tomorrow, but don’t let the unknown overwhelm you.

Through the college experience I have realized why I love education. In college I have the opportunity to learn just about anything and everything. I want to grasp this opportunity and gain all of the knowledge possible. Then again this is my flaw, also. I want to know little bits everything rather than a lot about one thing, but that is the great thing about me being in a Community College. I have taken so many classes and it brought me to the realization of where I want to take my life. I will be pursuing a major in music with an emphasis in Vocal Performance. I decided on this path because again I have had many opportunities to take many classes in any subject. I experimented in voice, choir, dance, acting, piano, even Student Government. I found out that I love all of that, but I enjoy singing the most. It has been a priceless experience because with my new found knowledge and passion, I am now ready to plow through any obstacles to reach my goal. College has given me the push that I needed to discover new talents and strengths and now I can accomplish my dreams.

If I encountered myself during my senior year, my high school self would probably be studying for the SATs. Last year, I took that test twice, as well as the ACTs, to give myself the best advantage. I stressed and stressed over those tests, constantly practicing and learning vocab. If I were to give my former self advice knowing what I know now, it would be not to stress as much and to take advantage of what the campus has to offer. During my first semester, I started to feel extremely overwhelmed. I was not satisfied with my grades at all, I was barely getting any sleep, and I got sick fairly frequently. If I could go back, I would tell myself to visit the Writing Center on campus or go for student tutoring to get my grades back up in English. I would tell myself to visit my professors during their office hours and be proactive in getting help for myself, bot academically and physically. I would say that even though getting good grades is important, taking care of myself is far more valuable. Overall, college is stressful but the campus has lots of resources to help you deal.

I would start first by constantly reminding myself to stay organized by always having a planner on hand and keeping a running list of short and long term goals, and possible career choices. This helps to keep you headed in the right direction and reminds you of the reason you are at college in the first place. With that, it is a must to take all opportunities, with yourself and your success in mind and to never be regretful because there is a reason for everything; all obstacles are learning experiences. Remember that actions speak louder than words and your actions predict the outcome of your future, so you must always put in exactly what you want out from school work; time spent studying in the library or with a friend always pays off in the end. Expanding your horizons is also important for personal growth while in college, so speaking to as many people as you can helps with networking and lifelong friends for the future. However, always be yourself and don?t ever change for someone because the best friends you will find will be the ones who accept you for who you are.

Picking a college is extremely hard today because there are just so many choices out there for students to choose from. The advice that I would give to someone to help them to find there right college is to do alot of research.. The next thing you do after you research enough and make some sort of list is you should make appointments to visit the colleges right away. I recommend visiting the college in the middle of a semester because than you will be able to see the campus in action. . If you are still unsure about a few schools visit again! if possible. There are so many different tools for sutdents to find out about colleges now. For example, books, internet, advisors, students.I think they should exhaust every single one of them before they pick the right school. To make the best of your college experience is to make sure you are fully prepared for the work that is going to be coming. If you take your work seriously and manage your time wisely it will give you plenty of time to hang with friends. Do not leave things to last minute, college life will be better.