State University of New York at New Paltz Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for State University of New York at New Paltz

Benjamin

New Paltz has been home to me for most of my life. I have found myself traveling across the country a few months ago but nowhere made me feel more at home than New Paltz. I have taken classes at other schools in California and New York but found the teachers at New Paltz the most helpful outside of the classroom.

Shaniah

When I first arrived at SUNY New Paltz as a Freshmen in Fall 2016, I wanted to be a biology major. However, there were a few exams that I had to take in order to be placed into the right math or english class. These exams held me back, as I discovered that my math skills are not up to par, but I also discovered that I could not take biology classes until I took a certain math class. Because of this, I feel like I was discouraged from pursuing biology. I liked Psychology more and thus declared my major as that. I'm now looking to go into Clinical Psychology. Overall, I would say SUNY New Paltz isn't the best place for science majors, but the leadership opportunities here are plentiful and accessible! During my first year, I applied to several leadership positions, met so many wonderful student leaders and peers who are on the same path as me. Now I will be a Community Mentor in Esopus Hall and I can't wait to help future first-year students. SUNY New Paltz does a great job at catering to Freshmen students, which is great! I don't know how my first year at any other college would have been; SUNY New Paltz helped me matured as an adult/leader!

Moses

I love the environment and relationships on campus. The town is quiet but beautiful and the people are extremely friendly. You can be yourself completely and we love to party.

Mirna

I personally like attending SUNY New Paltz to a certain extent. The classes are great and engaging but the campus life is not for everyone. Besides going to classes, there is not much to do on the weekends for introverted people who do not drink, or go out.

Kelsey

The school brought me into diversity, I am from the Bronx and it is no where near home. That's what I love most about it. Coming here I gained the opportunity to gain knowledge on academics, politics, and diversity. This is my reason for coming here and to be able to receive what I pay for, is beyond worth the experience.

Simone

Pretty good school. Expensive food and housing, but the tuition is very reasonable. Excellent academics (especially considering it's a state school). Very safe surrounding area. The town of New Paltz is has AWESOME shops, food, etc. Would definitely recommend.

Allison

Campus is fairly small but people here are really friendly, there is always someone to say hi to. Many things off campus are walking distance, like Tops, places to eat and bars. If you have a car or your friend does make a trip up to the mountains the hike is not to hard and the view is amazing!!

Kelly

For me, SUNY New Paltz is a nice school if you want smaller lectures and classes where you can get more one-on-one interactions with your professor where eventually they will know your name. Professors are very helpful and have office hours where you can go find them for help or anything. Campus size is average. You can walk from one end of campus to the other with a reasonable amount of time. On-campus dorming is okay depending on what you prefer and then what you might end up with. There are dorms buildings that have been recently renovated where it is like a hotel, and then older ones that are still okay and give you this home feeling (I guess). All the dorms are kind of clustered together on one side of campus and then the academic buildings on the other side. Off campus housing is also available but you would need to find it yourself and consider the bills, roommate/housemates and other stuff like that. Right off of campus is the town so it isn't far to get to town to either do grocery shopping or to eat off campus. The food on campus is okay to a certain extent. There is one main dining hall that runs in a buffet style where you would use a swipe to get in and then you can eat as much as you want. Other than the dining hall, there are other food places on campus where you can use dining dollars at like the student union Building, one of the academic buildings, one of the dorm buildings and then two cafes (one located right outside the library and the other one it's own with one of the theatres on campus)... Meal plans are based on how many swipes to the dining hall you want per week (is required if living on campus). There is the 3 swipes and then around $1900 dining dollar plan, the 7 swipes with a little less dining dollars, the 10 swipes with even less dollars and the unlimited swipes with a bit of dollars. I'm not sure about the system anymore since they did change it since I was a freshmen, but freshmen were required to get the unlimited swipes meal plan for their first two semesters. Overall the food is okay.. but can get a little tiring near the end of the semester or year. Other than on-campus there are also quite a few choices of food off campus (use actual money) like Thai cuisine, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian/pizzeria, burgers, fast food (McDonald's and burger kings) and etc. Pricing is okay... could be cheaper in the city.. (I'm from the city.. hehe.. ). Other than food places, there are some shops in town and there are two supermarkets and a just a buck store where everything is actually a dollar! Not much to do tbh if you want to shop... the closest mall if around 30 minutes away in the next town tho. Overall, I think New Paltz is a good school. It's a nice and safe little town, and the people here are quite nice.

New paltz is hehappiest place on earth. It is unique and has its own personality that will grow on you. You are able to get whatever you want out of your experience here. The supportive and free atmosphere will allow you to have room to grow as a person.

New Paltz is the happiest place on Earth. You can make this environment cater to what you want to get out of it. You will grow here in ways that only the town of New Paltz can do. The open minded space gives you confidence to be yourself, even if you're not sure who that is yet.

Johanna

GREAT SCHOOL! I especially love the ability to choose from a plethora of different majors . There are so many diverse clubs to join, whether academic, media or performance. There are also a ton of leadership positions to apply for. The students at SUNY New Paltz are very friendly and very active.

Nathaneal

The school provides a warm atmosphere for anyone to be themselves. New Paltz is a very accepting community and people are very kind. Faculty and staff at New Paltz are very helpful for the most part and will help you if they can. Overall, the school has been a great choice for me and I am currently a junior. Definitely one of the best decisions I've made as a young adult.

Amber

New Paltz is a gorgeous town in a beautiful area; the college medium-sized and classes range from maybe 15-100 students, depending if it's a lecture course (think General Chemistry I or Calculus I) or a upper-division literature course (there are about 30 people in my Epic Tradition course). The Honors Program is really fun and offers a lot of support and opportunities. The campus food has gotten better since my freshman year, but there's a lot to be improved upon price-wise and quality-wise. One can get very involved in student life (academic clubs, recreational sports, etc.) but the Student Association is stingy with budgeting for such programs. On-campus housing is all right -- the parking situation needs to be fixed. (I came home to a parking lot that wasn't plowed out and actually got stuck in a parking spot). The professors, generally, are top-notch--I can personally vouch for both the geology department (as I used to be a geology major), which is entirely made up of PhD holders, and the English department, as I have never had a single complaint about any of the professors I have had. Most professors on this campus genuinely care about their students and do almost everything in their power to help them succeed. If a student shows they care and that they're trying, the professors DO notice and WILL help you.

Rosa

Coming from a very horrible highschool. I absolutely love New Paltz. The atmosphere and academics are great.

Regina

SUNY New Paltz is a small school but we are a community. No matter what your interests are there is a group for you. The campus is inviting and warm. During weekends and warm weather people hang out on the quad and play music, chill, play music or play games. On campus there are a variety of places to eat and 3 different meal plans. The campus can be described as a "hippy" kind of a campus because everyone is very friendly and like to have fun. The academics are great, the teachers are wonderful, class sizes are small and most professors are available for office hours through appointment or a set of hours preset on the syllabus. In town there is lots to do. There are tons of restaurants and bars for nightlife. The town is a warm and welcoming community and there are many shops and activities to do. The waterstreet market has a homemade donut shop, shopping areas, and the rail trail is nearby for light hiking. For those more adventurous New Paltz is literally IN the mountains so there are tons of places to go hiking and see sights. There is mohonk mountain house, the shawgunk mountains and other sights to see. New Paltz is somewhere to feel safe, I would feel safe walking even in the town alone and we take care of each other. If you are looking for a sense of community, New Paltz is the school for you.

Jill

The State University of New York at New Paltz is a wonderful college. There is a scenic campus with an unlimited view of a mountain. The extracurricular activities are very interesting, giving students a vast amount of opportunities to partake in. The academics are interesting as well and the staff are very supportive to anyone's decision. There is no judgement in SUNY New Paltz.

Sydney

This school is a wonderful place to let your guard down and just live. The people here are so inviting, and it makes wanting to be in college a whole lot easier. It's beautiful, the town is adorable, the professors care, and everyone is extremely inviting. You'll find what you need here, if you want to find it.

Nikki

I absolutely love SUNY New Paltz! Coming to this school I have truly been able to find myself. There are so many clubs and organizations available on campus, and so many wonderful people all around. The campus is warm and inviting, with beautiful scenery and students who aren't afraid to express themselves and be who they want to be.

SUNY New Paltz is what I consider to be a great school. It's large enough that there will always be new faces to see but small enough to make you feel comfortable. Although there are very small amount of places to eat at on campus and the food itself needs some work, every other thing about New Paltz is great. I would recommend this school to people who are specially into nature and liberal politics.

Isabella

I really like my school. You have to work hard to rise up in your major and to get internships provided by your professors. There are more connections than you know. exist. Dorms are okay if you are in a renovated one otherwise they are extremely hot in the summer. The food is awful but you can switch your meal plan sophomore year!

Kirsten

Would not have wanted to spend it anywhere else!

Katelyn

I LOVE New Paltz. I transferred here from a SUNY school upstate and am so much happier here. It's a pretty diverse campus, with people from a variety of different backgrounds and beliefs but there is rarely animosity between groups. Students and faculty are all really welcoming and friendly and do everything they can to make everyone feel welcome and accepted. I used to be really shy, but the welcoming and accepting atmosphere on campus made me feel comfortable enough to really come out of my shell and speak my mind. Transferring to New Paltz literally changed my life for the better!

Tiana

I love this school. I even became a tour guide to show other people how great this place is. It was my first choice college and I don't regret coming here ever, it is incredibly overpriced though. Way too expensive for my taste, but I love this place so much I am staying despite struggling financially.

Tania

SUNY New Paltz has so far given me a college experience that I will remember for the rest of my life! The college's student community is very diverse with most of our student coming from all areas of New York, out of state, and internationally! The people I know are very much about the perfect balance between work and play, which is essentially the perfect balance! The school itself also contains many areas of study, so it's pretty common that the people you meet will most likely be from a different major or another department. New Paltz itself is very integrated into the student life culture whether it comes to eating at local restaurants, volunteering, fieldwork experience, and so much more!

Angela

I love New Paltz because it is a very artistic school. Many art classes are offered here that are different and unusual. Everyone is included and all of the students are extremely nice to one another. There is a good vibe all around. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area. The academics are extremely important to the school and the students. Professors are very nice and always available.

Asa

SUNY New Paltz offers a phenomenal educational experience in the picturesque Hudson Valley. The school has a friendly, interesting student body, and an experienced, knowledgeable faculty. The quaint town and campus each contain many exciting destinations and activities. Overall, most students seem to be quite happy at New Paltz.

Kristin

It started out as my college, and now it's my home. I graduated with a BA and came back for grad school. The student community has tons of options and something for everyone. The classes are fun and engaging with lots of opportunity for discussion among students and professors. I highly recommend it.

Savannah

I believe SUNY New Paltz is a community based environment full of both academic and artistic opportunities for all students. The campus weighs heavily on creative aspects, however, has great programs and opportunities for STEM students. The campus is beautiful and gives a very home like vibe to all who attend. The surrounding area is also very community based and welcomes all from the college. SUNY New Paltz holds potential for many students and is a great start to a bright future.

Anna

_

My overall opinion of the State University of New York at New Paltz is that the campus, students, staff, and outside social life is amazing. There is no other college I am considering because of the wonderful first and second impression I have had in my own personal opinion.

Hazel

I would say overall, I've had a great time at New Paltz. I've met some amazing people who accept me for who I am. Pros: Beautiful small town, endless hiking destinations, a short drive from some cute small towns and relatively close to Albany and NYC, overall great professors, lots of nature on campus, great parties, lots of options for those who don't partake in drinking and smoking. Cons: The dorms are moldy and neglected, no option to live alone without having a medical reason or paying double, no apartment style housing, campus spirit is non existant, food is TERRIBLE, life is MISERABLE for those with dietary restrictions, the academic buildings are gross (except for the new ones), did I mention the food is overpriced, and will send you straight to the bathroom? People who would not like New Paltz: Someone who is conservative, loves a school that's got a vibrant athletic life, needs a town with more than 5 bars, someone who is homophobic. If you are physically disabled, you may find yourself unable to participate in a lot of what New Paltz has to offer. New Paltz is an old town, and a lot of the buildings were built long ago. Therefore, a lot of places in town are inaccessible to someone with disabilities. People are super understanding of those with different needs and will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable in whatever way they can (the students, not res life. Res life doesn't care about anyone but the dollar bill). Also, the town itself is a hill, which may be difficult as well. So that's something to look into if you are considering New Paltz. If you have any dietary restrictions, I would highly recommend not living on campus. There is no way to opt out of the meal plan. Those serving the food have no idea what's in it, which is a nightmare. They claim to accommodate, but this is a lie. They have this little room called "My Zone" but it's pathetic. New food is rarely stocked and often the same food is served over and over. If your restriction severely limit your options, they will just tell you to move off campus. Lastly, if you are looking for a party school, this is not the place for you. Yes, there are parties but people here tend to be studious so parties are mainly on the weekends. If you partake in smoking, you'll smell skunk just about everywhere. It certainly does live up to the reputation of a hippie school, which personally I love! There's protests just about every other day. Protests are so frequent that I saw someone carrying a poster board, wondered what they were protesting, got closer only to realize it was for a class. If you are seriously considering New Paltz, watch Christian gets the skinny on the Paltz on youtube. It's old, but it's still accurate (and hilarious). Go Hawks!!

I am a current student at SUNY New Paltz. As a student here, I find the campus atmosphere to be very welcoming and safe as a female first-year student. I live on campus in one of the residence halls in the Parker Quad, and while they aren't the newest buildings, they aren't the worst on campus. There are plenty of student groups and clubs to get involved with, as well as plenty of intramural sports teams. The town of New Paltz is kind of small, but as someone from a basically non-existent town, I find it to be sufficient. Overall, I really like SUNY New Paltz, and I think it is a wonderful school.

Isabel

I am an alumnus who graduated in 2016. I would probably give SUNY NP 3.5/5 stars if I could. The thing about this school is that there are A LOT of pros and cons. The Pros: .Location-The location is pretty great (not perfect). New Paltz is in the beautiful, scenic Mid-Hudson Valley and only about 2 hours away from NYC. There are buses that run to and from NYC daily. The town is pretty cute, there's good restaurants, bars, stores, etc. Nature is everywhere, but if you're a big-city person then living in New Paltz may not be ideal. It CAN get a bit mundane-it's not such a big town and frequenting the same 4-5 bars gets boring at times. Academics-I really feel like I learned a lot at this school. The professors are super passionate about what they are teaching and have awareness of issues in society, for the most part. They are almost always there to help (except in a few cases), even outside of office hours. Class sizes are small which I also appreciate. There are different internship/study abroad opportunities here which is great. Social Life-I would say this is kind of a pro and con-I had very mixed experiences here. Some of my current best friends attended SUNY NP with me, so there are some great people. Despite this, it's got a very cliquey vibe and people tend to be very judgy about nonsense. I'm very left-leaning but if I were a conservative I wouldn't even think about attending this school, you probably will get screamed at or harshly judged or schooled-people care too much! They try to come off as super chill when they're just a hot mess! The worst part is even the extracurricular clubs are super cliquey to the point of outright exclusion. Another issue is that this school is super segregated-it's basically something like this: White LI/Westchester girls and bros Mostly white hipsters from around NY Everyone else...... Night Life: I liked the nightlife here, at least when I was a student. There's places to go dancing, places to relax, live music, etc. The options are a bit limited because it's a small town. Not too unsafe either although I wouldn't recommend going out alone. The Gym: The gym was amazing-great facilities and group classes! The CONS 1. The GOD AWFUL campus food: It's terrible, lowest quality food! Made me permanently sick to my stomach, causes weight gain. 2. On & off campus housing: Dorms are falling apart, have asbestos, not properly maintained. Off campus housing is a bit better but a lot of shady slumlords who overcharge. 3. Weather-it's Upstate NY and way too cold!!!!!!! 4. School Spirit-Yeah, there really isn't much of that but I didn't care.

DALEXIS

It's great. I feel extremely safe on campus and it is a great community to be a part of. It feels like a little home. When I was transitioning from living at home to living on my own one thing that comforted me was the fact that I wouldn't be alone and I would always have some people that have the same interests as me.

Amy Lynn

The campus is a little meh (the buildings are all quite old, and not recently updated), but everything else is great! The culture's a bit on the crunchier side, and you're going to encounter a lot of modern "hippies." Great school for psychology, education, and the arts.

Kaitlin

I have enjoyed my first year at SUNY New Paltz. I wanted a school that was not too far from the city, but far enough that it does not feel like the city. The town has many cute shops and places to go out to eat. There are also many different clubs and opportunities to get involved on campus.

Anon

SUNY New Paltz carries a pretty decent reputation with the likes of other high-ranking SUNY schools like Geneseo, Binghamton and Stony Brook. However, my last two and a half years here have been anything but spectacular and I feel like I'm living in a pseudo-liberal dystopia. My mental health has taken a serious toll attending this school, as it feels like I'm in high school again with all the cliquey groups of people along with petty, immature behavior from students. Students will preach liberalism and attempt to signal their virtue as much as possible, but will still show signs of racism and discrimination. People act very fake here, and care more about looking cool than having a genuine good time. There is NO school spirit, no football team, and the campus is mostly white females from Long Island. With that in mind, it is extremely hard to relate to people if you're not rich, preppy, or from LI/NYC. If you're introverted and not a super liberal hipster, this school will wear on you very fast. People stare a lot, judge even more, and are overall usually very toxic. I do not expect to be coddled for four years, but some respect never hurt anyone. I am outcasted for my withdrawn behavior, minding my business, and not dressing ostentatiously. There is no acceptance for anyone that's not liberal, rich, or from lower NY or even New Jersey (gross). This school preaches a lot, but seldom practices what they preach. The village is inundated with wealthy yuppies on weekends, and they will judge you just as harshly. I once had an altercation with a woman in the village because I was "in her way" and she made fun of my clothing that day. Lesson learned that day: conform to the standards of wealthy Manhattan residents and never ever be less affluent than them. Jokes aside, New Paltz can be a nasty town that is extremely overrated, just like the university.

In my opinion, I love how accepting Suny New Paltz is towards students. Regardless of gender, race, sexuality, etc. , New Paltz will always be a safe place to feel accepted and acknowledged.