Nacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stephen F Austin State University

Nevada
What do people really wear to class?

What do people really wear to class?

Honestly people wear whatever they want. Most people simply throw on a t-shirt and some bottoms to be prepared for a comfy day of class.

I wish that someone had warned me that it is harder to get up for 8 am classes than I expected it would be.

Describe the dorms.

SFA offers several types of dorms for students. Students may choose from dorms with a private bathroom, private bedroom, two person bedroom, community bathroom, community kitchen, private kitchen, etc. Depending on the residential facility, some students leave their doors open and some students do not.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I love the location of SFA. The campus is big enough to make you feel like you can enjoy various opportunities, while the town is small enough to have a sense of home.

SAA (Student Activities Association) is the most popular organization on campus. They run the Movie Theater that is located in the center of campus, they organize tens of activities for students each semester. One organization that I am involved with on campus is Traditions Council. I enjoy being a member of traditions council because we get to really know SFA and its history by teaching others. We also run HOMECOMING!!! Some of the many traditions at sfa include: purple haze - students stand above the opposing team at home games (athletic events) yelling cheers for SFA; 'Ole Cotton: a cannon that is fired every time SFA scores at home football games. There are many more traditions awaiting students who are interested.

Students at SFA are very welcoming. The first week on campus at SFA is generally called 'Welcome Week' because there are week long events for new and returning students to learn about the various opportunities and organizations that SFA has to offer. There are students from all over (from Texas to Ohio to France).

The professors at SFASU are wonderful. If you take the time to get to know your professors, they will take the time to get to know you. I do not have a favorite course at SFA because all of the professors make the classes pretty awesome. If you ever have any questions about which professor to take, you can always check out his/her status on rate my professor. The educational programs vary as far as hands on activities go, but SFA does have many opportunities for students to get involved with the community in ways to build skills that will help with future careers.

I believe that the majority of students at SFASU are involved in organizations and greek life. There are greek societies, sororities, and fraternities for students from many different backgrounds. There are hundreds of organizations on campus that students may participate in.

Brianna

I would have to say that the best thing about this school is the friendliness and overall atmosphere. When I first visited SFA I felt at home because of how the staff and organizations treated me and the way that people would smile at you as you walked by. It's a pretty calm atmosphere to go to school in, which is always a plus. There's always something to do so you don't have to sit in your dorm all day long, but there's always the option of going back to your room if you need to study quietly. The teachers are pretty understanding about homework and pretty reasonable about work loads and tests. There is also an on campus tutoring service, the AARC, that will help you with anything from editing an essay to studying for a test or completeing a math worksheet. There's also a lot of school pride because everyone really enjoys going to school here. The students are here because they want to be, which helps the atmosphere of the campus be a positive one.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene at SFASU is very active because the student body is generally passionate about the many sports teams of our school. Big crowds show up to the football games to cheer on the players and show school spirit. Other sports, such as soccer and baseball are also very popular because the students are pretty supportive of one another and enjoy attending sports events. The athletic people are also very friendly and are friends with lots of people on campus so many people go to watch their friends play sports and cheer them on. At such sporting events there are also fun things to do, like tailgating, free items, and socializing.

The main stereotype at SFASU is all about the Greeks. People think that all they do is drink and party, which normally keeps new freshmen in their dorms and afraid to experience college life. There are actually a good amount of sororities and fraternities on campus that are service oriented. Such groups are: Tau Beta Sigma, Gamma Kappa Omega, and others. Some are more Social oriented, which basically just means they like to hang out together and host campus-friendly events. Such groups include: Sigma Kappa Omega, Sigma Lambda Gamma, and others. It is a very enriching part of college life to join a good sorority or fraternity because it helps you network with other kids your age and make friends that you normally would've had a hard time meeting.

The most popular groups/organizations would probably be sports and Greek Life. A good percentage of students are involved in a sport and about 2/3 of the student body is in a sorority or fraternity. Theres groups are good because there is so much variety. There are several different sports, for all different skill levels and personal preferences. There are also several different types of sororities and fraternities, ranging from social to service based. These differences allow the student to choose freely which group/organization they fit into best. Sports are pretty popular on campus because of all the school spirit. One SFASU tradition is football games, the students and faculty love to go to games and cheer their team on. If you are involved in any Greek organization you can sit on your Greek letters on the grassy part, if not then there's always the Purple Haze section of the bleachers for the passionate Lumberjacks. The Purple Haze section is another tradition that you dress in all purple for and bring your axe handle, all painted and decorated, and sit on the visiting team's side, right in the middle of their bleachers and cheer for SFASU. It is a lot of fun and one of the main attractions on the weekends.

I don't really think that any particular type of person would feel out of place at SFASU because there are all kinds of different people at this school. There are Greeks, Geeks, Jocks, Creative people, Intelligent people, etc. Most of the different types of people react with one another on a daily basis as well because most everyone is in more than one type of organization, so there's a nice blend of people and groups around campus. Most students are from Lufkin, Houston, or Dallas, with a few sprinkled in from other smaller cities and even a good amount from out of state. A lot of the students do receive help from financial aid because college is expensive, so not very much emphasis is placed upon financial background.

The professors are really good at knowing your name by a month into school and they really make an effort to connect with you and make sure that you are getting everything out of the course that you need. Class participation is common because that is one of the ways that the teachers check to make sure that you are learning everything you need to in order to stay on top of things. A lot of students hold study groups outside of class or talk about the class with each other to further understand the material and review for quizzes or tests. Students try to help each other out and make sure that each other is following along with the teacher so that nobody gets left behind. I spend some time with professors outside of class either asking them questions to clear up any misunderstandings I had about what they taught or doing honors projects for them, which consists of extra work or an extra project that requires further understanding of the material that's being taught in class. I do these extra projects to better understand and make sure I hold onto the knowledge that the teachers are sharing with me so that I can apply it to my career in the future. Everything the teachers say is geared towards your future and trying to make sure you become the best in your field.

Clifton

If I could have revisited myself during high school, I would have told myself to take algebra seriously. Now taking a college course which is more rigorous than what I have been exposed to during high school, I wish at least around my senior year I had used the additional exerises, activity multimedia, calculator tips, and the mixed review more seriously. College algebra is not that difficult a subject in mathematics but from experience the material always stretches over your critical thinking skills. For example I had to use matrices to solve linear equations in three variables. When I was a senior in high school, I really wrestled with using the given textbook methods. I could not use the substitution method so I had to learn how to use the Gauss-Jordan method by multiplying and adding elements. The word problems are my shortcoming in math . One time I had to solve a problem on exponential growth. It involved a business trying to build a 350, 000 facility in 8 years investing 200,000 that pays 5%. I thought of creating a formula by diving the rate over the principal times natural logarithmic times one over the return.

Rebecca

People from different areas of the world, mostly Texas, joined together for education and fun.

I am only in my second semester of college, and I have already learned a lot. I have learned how to be responsible for my homework and studying. I have learned how to receive help from professors and best utilize my school's tutoring options. I have learned what is tasty and revolting in the cafeteria. I have learned how to happily share a small dorm room with someone completely new to me. I have learned countless lessons that have made my daily life more cohesive, but most importantly, I have learned to ask for help. It sounds like such a simple solution, but it is not always at the forefront of my mind when I have a problem. My instinct is to attempt to solve issues alone so that I do not bother anyone else. College has transformed that thinking. Between academic advisors, on-campus counselors, and even staff to find organizations relevant to your interest, SFASU has shown me that all I need to do is ask. They will help me with any and all difficulties, particularly those specific to college.

With approximately 13,000 students, Stephen F. Austin State University it is large enough that there is always someone new to meet, but small enough that you do not get lost. There are all kinds of on-campus activities, but also plenty of quaint attractions off-campus in Nacogdoches. SFA is a small school in a small town. This fact leads to a close-knit campus and strong support system for students.

Honor

When I first looked into Stephen F. Austin State University, I heard rumors that it was a big party school and if you don't drink you won't fit in. However, there may be a lot of parties since Greek life is important to our school, there are plenty of organizations and events that are alcohol-free that are fun and entertaining. Another stereotype is the diversity we have on campus. Our population is fairly diverse, with most of the students being Caucasian and African American.

Jaime

College has been an intense transition in my life. If I could travel back a year to when I was a high school senior, I would have studied much harder to practice better habits for college. Also, I would have put in more hours at work so I could save more money for school. Paying for my own rent, school, gas, groceries and other needs is not easy when I am doing it all on my own. I would have applied for scholarships in high school so I would have never had to take out a student loan. My focus would be extremely different if I could start all over and better prepare myself for college and life itself. I would practice managing my time so that when I got to college it would be easier to balance working 30 hours a week, studying, and doing all my homework assignments. College would be less stressful if I had more money because I would not have to work as much and I could use the extra time to organize for all of my classes.

Alyssa

To learn to enjoy life and the time I had in high school. In high school I acted like work was everything and as a result my studies and friendships suffered. Things will work out, one way or another, so I would tell myself to let go and not spend time worrying about things that are out of my hands but to also recognize what is within my control and work on those aspects of my life instead. Nothing is more important than my education and although I never did poorly in my high school academic career I do wish I had used my senior to develop study skills, habits, and knowledge through self-discipline so that when college did come around I would not have had such a hard time adjusting. Lastly, to just be me and not worry about what everyone else is doing because they won't be the important people in my life a year later. In summary, I would tell myself to relax, develop discipline and be more discerning in all aspects of my life.

Probably the administration. Although they try to be helpful it can be very hard to get straight/accurate information from them. The different departments are not always in line with each other concerning the information they hand out to students.

The type of person who should attend Stephen F. Austin is the type of person who is open to new things and willing to learn and participate in everything offered. This campus has so much in terms of recreational or group activities that if you aren't willing to get out there and make friends than you shouldn't come. If you aren't willing to put yourself in a place where you are serious about your studies yet still willing to have fun than this university isn't the place for you.

Rhiannon

Fun to be around and eager to learn.

Fun to be around and eager to learn.

Apply yourself. Even though that final year of high school seems to be never-ending, you really need to do your best and excel in your classes. I feel I would be eligible for more scholarships had I gotten better grades.

How difficult it would be to have a 6 hour drive to get home. I know the more I get acclimated to being in college, I won't be so homesick, but the first few months were tough.

arayiel

My classmates are involved on campus, with many opportunities to join organizations that leaves less students out with nothing to do on campus and more students with something positive to do on campus.

I would start by telling myself to stay focus. Making the transition from high school student to college student may seem easy, but it is definitely a change, and if you do not prepare yourself well failure may come. I would also tell myself to take advantage of all resources that the university offers as far as study groups and such because they make a big difference.

I brag mostly about the events the campus recreation have. Since I am employed at the campus recreation, I have first hand experience with the fun events.

melanie

I believe the best thing about this school is the commitment that is expressed by the faculty and the school in general concerning the success of the student. The school has a extensive tutoring program with many layers of assistance to the student. There is a energy and excellence while at the same time exibits a warmth and overall state of comfort that helps a new student gaina feel of success. The students are serious in their studies but there is fun and espire de corps that is prevalent everywhere.

I would tell my high school senior version of me that preparation is vital. To be mentally prepared by makingsure that during the orientations that you talk and ask questions. Look at everything as a whole and try to notice every nuance and thing that would be out of place. Practice awareness at all times.

The kind of person who shouldnt attend this school is one who is not serious about their studies or their life period. The school goes out of its way to help with the success of the student but if you arent serious than that will not help!

Stephen F Austin State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.