Nacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stephen F Austin State University

Decide who you are before deciding what you want to do. I spent most of my high school life trying to fit a standard. I tried defining who I was in activities, sports, and countless hours of studying. From the success and feedback I got from those things, I then made a plan that I thought would fit for me. It was not until after I had graduated that I discovered those plans were not based off of who I was as a person and my desires, but on what the rest of the world thought would be a good idea for someone like me. When you discover who you are as a person and what you are passionate about and let the voices of everyone else around you fade out, you will see what you were truly meant to do. It does not matter what career your parents have pushed on you for years, how smart you are, or what would make you the most money, unless you are following your heart, you will not ever be satisfied in what you are doing. So be yourself and go make a difference.

Someone who wants to work hard but also enjoy a nice campus filled with plenty of extra-curricular activities to choose from. Someone who wants to be active in their school and take advantage of what is offered academically.

It is frustrating that I am sterotyped. I'm not a just a typical college student. I am an individual. Not all students are the same, but we are all treated the same.

Stephen F. Austin state university is a family-oriented, safe school where the sfaff knows you not only by face but also by name.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself not to be so scared. Graduating from high school was forever my biggest fear (leaving my friends and family behind was so hard for me), but college is more than worth it. I would tell myself that in college everything I learn is actually retained and used in my every day life, whereas in high school it seems to only about making the top 10 percent, etc. I would tell myself that college will end up being the best thing that's happened to me! I would say Hannah, don't be scared to make the leap away from home because you'll end up loving it more than anything else. I would tell myself that it will open countless doors just in the first semester. My high school self would learn to go ahead and make the leap of faith without being so scared because college life will end up being the best thing that's ever happened to me.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the great lack of parking and housing. Stephen F. Austin has grown exponentionally in the past year and it doesn't seem as though the administrative team is doing much to accomodate for it.

Victoria

I have attended Stephen F. Austin for a semester and there are a few things that the school seems to be best known for. Many of the students have come for the forestry and agriculture majors , which seems to be a very good program. They also offer many undergraduate majors that correlate with graduate programs that one may complete at SFA instead of having to transfer to another school.

Thinking back on my senior year, which was not long ago, there are a few things that I wish I had known to make my transition to college a little easier. First, I would suggest applying for scholarships much earlier, as the university has early deadlines. Next, academics in college can be difficult, so continue to study hard senior year so that the transition will not be a great shock. Colleges are known for their junky cafeteria food and students not getting enough sleep. Before you head off to school, decide that you will eat healthy and get the right amount of sleep, as it will make your college experience so much better. Figuring out the details of how much the cost of school is going to be, in advance, is also a good idea. This will help you be prepared when your first bill comes in. Lasty, do not stress out, but enjoy the time you have with your family and friends. As long as you prepare in advance, you will be ready for the wonderful new experience of college life.

Stephen F. Austin is located in a very small town, so there are not many things to do off campus. If someone is going to a university with a main intent on wanting to have fun off campus then I would not suggest SFA to that person.

Kevin

SFA is a highly regarded forestry and education university in the old town in Texas, Nacogdoches.

I would tell myself to start my college work at the local junior college instead of jumping right into a 4 year university. I could complete my general core course that would have transferred at a more economical cost and be an easier transition from high school. A junior college provides a high quality education in a personal, supportive environment where teachers care about the success of their students. I would also tell myself that I am more interested in information technology aspect of computers than the computer programming that was offered at the 4 year university at the time. I should look at what other universities offered that are more tuned to information technology or networking.

The most frustrating thing is not transferring most of the course work from the two year degree I have completed for the program I am interested in completing.

Breeanna

Stephen F. Austin is the greatest school in the world and has the nicest people.

If i could go back in time, there is nothing different that i would have told my self. I pushed myself to strive for the best and only the best. I feel that i prepared myself for college because i already had my studying techiniques and i prepared myself for any hard work. One part of advice i would have given myself was to not stress over any work and to just take my time.

A person that wants to succeed in life.

Meaghan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell my self to lay out more boundries and rules to live by. I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships, and financial aid. I would suggest getting into a routine with a healthy amount of exercise scheduled in. I would warn myself about being too shy because friends dont come easily when you are too afraid to talk to people. And last but not least, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to appreciate the moments I have left with my family, because from now on they will be few and far between.

Heather

I looked into many great universities, but what stood out the most about Stephen. F. Austin was its serene beauty of many beautiful trees and the fact that it lays in a small town. I have learned that in smaller towns, it is easy to meet new people and to actually see them again on a regular basis. Knowing many different people in one town is beneficial in things such as taking classes, forming study groups, and finding jobs.

The most important thing is to stay focused. As with any college, there are many distractions present that can lead you off course. In comparing college to one's first experience in the "real world," it is common for one to want to have fun and forget about the importance of education. However, education is the single most important thing in a person's life. In today's world, a bachelor's degree is equivalent to a high school diploma in previous generations. Once you have decided to focus on education, become involved in as many groups and activities as possible. These groups and activities will most definitely help you become aquainted with the campus, classes, and will surely help make your college quest easier. There are many others who seek a degree like yours, and it is beneficial to take that journey together. "Two heads are better than one." When times get tough, keep pushing forward, because when you are finally holding that piece of paper known as a degree, you will experience one the most rewarding feelings in life.

I wish I had known more about what I truly wanted to do career-wise. After receiving one degree and starting another, I have finally decided what I would really like to do. However, it is extremely common for people to decide after they have been taking college courses for a period of time. I was pleased to find that there are many helpful people at Stephen F. Austin to help guide you in the right direction.

I did faily well throughout high school. I was top of the class my freshman and sophmore years. I began to slack my junior year, and even more my senior year. As a high school senior i didn't feel like it was important to pay attention in most of my classes because I only needed one credit to graduate. If i coud go back I would tell myself to pick my head up off the desk, wake up and actually apply myself. I would also have persuaded myself to take more challenging class so they could have possibly accounted for something. I would like to have been able to warn myself what was to come in college. Tell myself that college professors do not care whether you come or not, they will pass or fail you on bases of your effort in class. I would tell myself that making up work isnt as simple as counting on the teacher anymore. Basically if I could go back, I would have told myself to prepare more for college because it was just around the corner.

Timothy

The only advice I could see giving to my younger self would be this put 200% into all your work but dont let the hard work consume you and enjoy some of the best years of your life.

Its a good school, I cant think of anything wrong with it.

I believe that a person who has a vision of there future and the determination to make it happen belongs at this college.

Krystal

I was 18 years old in May of 2002 when I graduated high school. Three months later I started classes at the local community college. Two months after starting college I got pregnant and had to withdraw because of complications from the pregnancy. Now, seven years later, I am attending college full-time again as a junior at SFA. I wish I understood then the importance of a college experience and degree. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school this is what I would say: ?College life can be a wonderful, fun, and educational experience. Please take it seriously! Think about the consequences of your actions before you do something that will change your life forever. You decide your own future and the future of the family you may someday have. Obtaining a degree will be required in the simplest of jobs in a few years. Therefore, you need to get one now! Go, live in dorms, attend classes at a big university, and join a fraternity. Have fun while learning to do what you love instead of settling for what?s convenient for you! Act your age!

The reason why I chose SFA is the fact that they offer an online degree program. I am a single parent of two boys and need to keep a full-time job while in college. Their program allows me work, take online classes, and spend time with my children. I?m very glad that I can get a degree without my children suffering (short term) without my time. The online degree itself is another plus for SFA, education. I plan to teach middle school math. This will give me more time with my children throughout their childhood as well.

I wish that someone would have explained to me the large difference in community college and a four year university. Previously I attended a community college and the classes weren?t much different than high school. Instructors took care of students individually, gave curves, and tailored the class to students. At Stephen F Austin I haven?t heard the word curve even mentioned. Instructors have helped me through the classes, but their expectations are much higher.

Stephen F Austin State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.