Nacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stephen F Austin State University

Krystal

I was 18 years old in May of 2002 when I graduated high school. Three months later I started classes at the local community college. Two months after starting college I got pregnant and had to withdraw because of complications from the pregnancy. Now, seven years later, I am attending college full-time again as a junior at SFA. I wish I understood then the importance of a college experience and degree. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school this is what I would say: ?College life can be a wonderful, fun, and educational experience. Please take it seriously! Think about the consequences of your actions before you do something that will change your life forever. You decide your own future and the future of the family you may someday have. Obtaining a degree will be required in the simplest of jobs in a few years. Therefore, you need to get one now! Go, live in dorms, attend classes at a big university, and join a fraternity. Have fun while learning to do what you love instead of settling for what?s convenient for you! Act your age!

The reason why I chose SFA is the fact that they offer an online degree program. I am a single parent of two boys and need to keep a full-time job while in college. Their program allows me work, take online classes, and spend time with my children. I?m very glad that I can get a degree without my children suffering (short term) without my time. The online degree itself is another plus for SFA, education. I plan to teach middle school math. This will give me more time with my children throughout their childhood as well.

I wish that someone would have explained to me the large difference in community college and a four year university. Previously I attended a community college and the classes weren?t much different than high school. Instructors took care of students individually, gave curves, and tailored the class to students. At Stephen F Austin I haven?t heard the word curve even mentioned. Instructors have helped me through the classes, but their expectations are much higher.

Honestly, I never considered anywhere else. SFA had everything I wanted as far as major options and when I toured the campus, I knew this was where I wanted to be.

The biggest thing I would tell myself is do not be afraid. As a senior, I was afraid of being on my own and moving somewhere new. I was afraid I would possibly fail out of college or not make friends. I know now that all those worries were useless. I have made new friends and I even made the Dean's List. I think the biggest piece of advice I would give myself is get out and do something. Do not just sit in your room and watch movies. Be active and meet people. Do not be afraid of what they would say because unlike high school, nobody wants to start drama. College is fun and suprisingly easy, so do not stress. Enjoy!

The location and how small the class sizes are. It is so much easier to learn that way than in an auditorium of 400 kids.

Cameron

A diverse, learning environment in the middle of nowhere.

A diverse, learning environment in the middle of nowhere.

To be a small to middle-sized school, the school spirit is second to none. It is only 30 minutes away from home and the campus gives a friendly vibe to everyone who visits. After every SFASU win a purple light is visible on top of our largest dorm, this is very unique!

The best advice i could give myself or anyone would be to study an to keep a strong mind. It took me a couple of weeks for the workload to settle in and when it finally did, i was not fully prepared for it. I'm sure it is a cliche, but that was my major mistake in high school and i wish i could go back an start over. More advice would be to get involved alot more within my community. I was in a few programs, but i never noticed how much fun i had until now. I also formed many more friendships through organizations. Being away from home for long periods of time was hard also especially with thousands of strangers whom you do not know, so that would maybe ease the tension.

Jaclyn

The capus is perty, but there are many hard classes.

The capus is perty, but there are many hard classes.

If I could go back in time the most important thing I would stress to myself is to apply for a lot more scholarship, because I ended up not going to the school I received a rodeo scholarship for. If I would have applied for more scholarship my parents would not have had to pay as much for my school. I would also tell myself to be prepared to study a great deal more in college than I did in high school, and to start practicing time management now and to continue to manage my time wisely in college. When talking to myself as a high school senior I would also make sure to tell myself to not worry about moving away from home it is not so bad.

I would tell a high school senior to definately save money in a separate bank account for only college funds because the expenses are tremenduous. Also they would need to know that study skills are very important when entering college because without good study skills a college student can not be as successful in they're career as needed.

Before I came to this school i wish I knew the work-study was so difficult to get in to.

Someone who is looking for pursue a career in a big city.

Jasmine

It offers you free tutoring at no cost and its very helpful when u need assists on your work. The private tutors can really help you out especially if you do not understand the class. The school has an on campus movie theater with the previous movies that just the movie theaters. The tickets are at a low cost of $1. You can never get bored on campus not matter what day of the week it is. The Student Activities Association (SAA) plans activities for the student throughout the whole entire month. All of their activities are free at charge.

College is a good step to make to higher your education. College can be a fun experience. The thing about college is that there's no more playing around. You either make the grades ,or drop out. It is a big change from high school. You have to manage good study skills and know who to hang around. Its cool to party, but work comes first . College life is so much fun, but if you have too much fun you get side tracked. The main goal is to stay focus and know what you are here for. Its to get a good education and partying comes later in life. In college, you will meet alot of friends. Some will be there for you and others will get in your way of mastering your goals. You should choose your friends wisely. Get aquaited with the library. It will be your true best friend. The first thing to have when you step in this big world is goal. Know where you are heading. College is the key to make in this world as of for today. Attend college so you know what you want in life. Be successful in life and go!

I wish I would've known how to study for college. My studying skills are totally different compared to how I studied in high school. I also wished I knew what kind of good organization this wonderful college has to offered. I would've joined one at the beginning of the school year. I wish I had known that I would've persuade all my friends from high school to attend Stephen F. Austin. The school seems so much like home and that I really didn't expect. I wish I would know about all the sorotity the school has.

Chelsea

I know that I would want to tell myself all about the people I will meet and the experiences I will have. However, I also know that part of growing up is experiencing life's challenges and learning from them, and a cheat sheet will get you no where. So to put it simply, if I could go back, I would simply say: Have faith. He has a plan for you, and in time He will let you see peices of His great puzzle. Build up your relationship with Him, and you will find peace. Don't let anyone push you down, for you have such power and beauty inside of you that is just waiting to be released. Be true to who you are, take chances, try your hardest, and have courage and strength in times of despair and in the face of life's challanges. Also, understand that college is a transitioning period in which things that used to be important aren't anymore, and things that never seemed to show up on the radar could turn into the most improtant parts of your life. I know that it's scary, but you can do this. Just believe.

Honestly, the two things that first drew me to this school was the environment and the sense of strong community. The climate and landscape reminded me of Tennessee (where I was born). Meanwhile the community is inviting and warm, and coming from a large family, that was what I was looking for. To this day, I feel safe walking around campus at night. Secondly, the art department at SFA is wonderful, and the teachers are extremely talented and drive you to reach your potential.

I came to college as an interior design/art education double major, and I wish that I had known that interior design wasn't what I wanted to do as a career. As a result, I lost fifteen hours that could have been devoted to art education., which has also kept me from being able to take electives since those Human Sciences classes now count as electives.

This school is best known for its more affordable education and closeness to home. Most students who attend here live within a few hours distance so that they get a quality education but are still able to visit home when they need to.

The number one thing to remember with college work is to make time to study. College requires more self-scheduling, so you definitely need to invest in something that will help you keep track of assignment deadlines. Dry erase boards, calendars, and the calendar with alerts on your cell-phone are the most helpful. Remember, the teachers aren't going to guide you along step by step anymore. Your education is completely up to you, the teachers and faculty will simply give you the basic structure and guidelines that will allow you success. So, as long as you keep good notes, study, and listen to fellow students regarding which teachers to take for which classes, then college should pass by with very little difficulty.

I love my online classes. The resources available to us electronically are amazing. We have a great online class site as well as well updated school home page, text alerts for emergencies, and continuously updated e-mails that show us any upcomong events or reminders of deadlines.

Katelyn

All of us come from very different backgrounds and from different cities, yet when we get together in a classroom we forget our differnces and work together in a very friendy dynamic.

My mother is an Alumni of SFA and that was someting to consider for me. SFA is set in a friendly environment and the size of the school was just right for me.

I spent the last two year of my high school experience studying to go to State in UIL academics. When the time came for college I never tranisitoned out of the studying phase from high school. Studying is very important to succeding, but there comes a time when it becomes too much. I would defintely tell myself to study but to also relax. I tend to get overly stressed for things that don't need to be stressed over. I'd also tell myself to get out of the room just a little bit, because there are amazing people of campus besides the sororities who really care about who you are as a person!

Stephen F Austin State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.