Nacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stephen F Austin State University

SFA not too big and not too small. The class sizes are just right for student-teacher interaction as well as student-student interaction. Also, SFA is in the middle of a VERY friendly town. It's smaller size than most universities gives the feeling of a more close-knit, family-like environment. SFA also has over 200 clubs available for all kinds of people and also allows students to make their own. In addition, the president of SFA is more than willing to listen to students' ideas on how to improve the campus and to make it happen.

I believe the most important things one should consider before picking a college is size, money, environment, and distance. Size is important to think about in more than one way. First is classroom size; Do you learn better in a class of 30 or 300? Second is campus/town size; Would you rather make close, possibly long life friends, or just casually meet a lot of people? How far it is to get to the places I'll need to go? Money is important to think about because no one wants to throw money away. Therefore, one must think, "Where can I get financial aid that works for me? How much money do I have? Is it worth it to spend more/less money here when I can get the same/better education there?" Environment is important because if one does not like a certain kind of weather then obviously you will not be happy staying somewhere that has a lot of it! Finally, distance is important to consider so that one can figure out what kind of transportation they will need and be comfortable with and how often one can go home and how easy it will be.

The only things I wish I would have known before going to SFA was how the small town compares to the big city I'm from and how homesick I was going to be. However, in my case, I believe I would have be homesick no matter where I ended up going to school and the small town just contributed to my homesickness more. Now that I've been home, I loooove the small town and all the close friends I have been able to make and get to know so well, and I can't wait to go back!!

Make sure it is a place where you feel welcome and like you could be a part of that campus before choosing to go there. I recommend finding out if you want to get involved in anything and making sure that that particular school has that group you want to be involved with before going there; whether it is greek life, religious groups, or just a fun club. Of course academics should be part of the choice as well, make sure the school has the right degree plan you want for your major, just ask questions to get the right answers. Just be yourself at school and make sure that whatever school you go to it is willing to offer whatever you need so you feel at "home" and if something is not available look at other schools or see if you can make that certain thing available. Also if you need financial assistance be sure that school has what you need so money does not become the biggest problem. Just remember you will pick a school for a reason, just know who you are so that the school fits you and you dont have to fit into the school.

Someone who is looking for a large school and does not want to be known by their faculty should not come here. Also someone who does not have school spirit or wants to get involved in anything should not come here because they will stick out like a sore thumb. School spirit and getting involved even if we lose games or if its being part of a small club everyone here has ALOT of school spirit and is involved with at least one group on campus so someone who doesnt take pride or doesnt get involved should not come here.

Just how the professors get to know each student because of the small class size on campus. I love being known for me and not just a number out there on campus, it is a very personal campus. It really helps students to learn and focus easier when they are know by their amazing professors rather than just turning in a paper and the teacher never really knowing who wrote it.

Meredith

Most of them are just here for a social life and to barely scrape by in their degree plan. Parties go on all the time. Very few actually care about trying in academics.

There are so many colleges out there that finding the one that fits you seems overwhelming. The teen and parent really need to figure out what the preferences of the future college student are. Do they like a small town atmosphere? Would they not fit in at a school that has a highly active Greek system? Using this information really helps the teen find a perfect fit. Visiting the colleges is a must. Never visit on a weekend or during a break, you want to get a feel for what the campus is like during the regular academic year. Talk to random students, ask them what they like about the school and dislike about it. Use every available source for financial aid out there. There were a lot of scholarships I qualified for that I didn't know about. To really get the most bang for your tuition buck, use the classes to their fullest potential. Show up for lecture. Do the readings. Study. After all, you or someone else is paying for this. Finally, get involved. This is the biggest mistake I made. Most universities have organizations for everyone to help you make friends. Most importantly: be yourself!!

I absolutely love the history department and my jobs! The history department has amazing professors who really bring it to life, like I hope to someday. I work at the tutoring service center on campus as a history tutor and also at the Center for East Texas Studies and I love both!

robert

Dont always go for the most popular school in the state try and find one that is just right for you and you will be as happy as you can be. I thought that i wanted to go to a huge school but i ended up going to a school of 11,000 and am very pleased

any one who likes the out doors but wants to be able to get back to rewality when ever they want

Sherri

A great small town school, full of interesting people and experiences that only come around once in a life time.

You have to find the place where you feel most at home. For me it was a small country town with a beautiful campus. Check them all out because you never know which school might suprise you.

The fact that atheletes get more schoalarship through the university than the people who want to be educated and who really deserve them.

Stephen F Austin State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.