DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Rebecca

Everyone is very nice and accepting of other people so far, we all have out differences but no one outwardly judges you because of that here at Stetson.

Don't slack off on homework so much because it is never going to go away and the better grades you get, the more financial aid you qualify for and I definitely need that. Also, get more involved with school because everyone is involved on campus in college and it actually is fun and you meet lots of cool people.

Stetson is a world famous school and was the first private university in Florida.

Kelly

I do enjoy attending Stetson University.The best thing about this school, hands down is the faculty! If I could change one thing about Stetson it would be the amount of administrators the school has. There are way too many in my opinion, and their salaries take away from the salaries of faculty. This will in my opinion hinder Stetsons' ability to hire and retain quality professors. The size of the school is ideal for me. I love the ability to get to know the professor and other students in my classes. I spend most of my time in Sage Hall (the science building), but the rest of the campus is beautiful and there are many areas to sit and relax or study.

Greek life and sports seem to be the most popular student groups.

Stetson is getting more diverse every year. There is a large open LGBT population here and there are quite a few international students I have met over the past 3 years. However there are not many transfer students and Stetson doesn't seem to put much effort into recruiting non-traditional students. So, if you are a little older, returning to college, or a transfer student you are likely to be the "oldest" person in many of your classes. Administration also ignores your maturity level and you are treated just like the 18 year old kids just out of high school. Except of course when you go to the C.U.B. (cafeteria) then you are treated as staff LOL. There are a lot of activities on campus for students but none are geared towards transfer students. All that being said the students at Stetson are very nice and I have not had an issue with any of them. Most are friendly and willing to interact in a professional way with other students who may not be in their "clique".

All of my professors know my name here and most seem to genuinely care about my grades and personal well being. My favorite classes are any Biology Class I can take, however, my absolute favorite class that I have taken here at Stetson was Ethics of Mortality. Like most of the classes I have taken it was a LOT of work, but, in that class you learn so much about yourself. It was eye opening and intellectually stimulating, plus the professor is a joy. I can't say how much other student study, but I study a minimum of 3 hours a day, some days much much more. During finals or a week before any test it is not unusual to spend every free hour of my day studying. My major is Biology and I am planning to attend Vet school so I have to take a lot of chemistry classes as well. Every professor in the Bio department is outstanding. When you graduate from Stetson you will be very knowledgeable in your field.

The only stereotype I thought of when I transferred here was that most of the students would be from above average income families, young and sheltered. This has proven to be fairly accurate in my opinion.

Jonathan

I like the size of the school. It is a small school so for Music students like myself, I get a more conservatory experience.

The Greek life at Stetson is the most popular. This is because of the events that the Greeks put on all through out the semester. There is always something to do and it does not always involve alcohol.

Very nice people here. We have several active political and social groups and I really do not feel that anyone would feel out of place here.

The academics here are challenging but rewarding with some of the best professors you could ask for.

I would say the stereotype here that we are all a bunch of fresh out of high school rich kids. I am a nontraditional student and I find that this is the most welcoming school when it comes to transfers.

I love Stetson! I wish that financial aid was more reliable. For example, the cost of tuition will increase, but your aid will remain the same. Be prepared to need to cough up extra money each year. Overall, the faculty are fantastic! I love my professors, class size, and courses. Don't expect a lot from DeLand though. The town is very small and there isn't a lot to do. Granted there are some nice shops around town, but it's pretty lame.

If you're a transfer student you might feel a bit out of place. Most students here are fresh out of high school. Other than that, there are a lot of great people here.

Science- difficult Business- easy Music- time consuming All other departments are fairly standard. A note on professors- They are totally awesome! You can always visit them during office hours for help. They actually care about helping you succeed, which is very refreshing (compared to a large state school).

Prior to applying, most students at Stetson feel the school is full of really smart and wealthy kids. This stereotype is somewhat accurate. It's fairly easy to get financial aid (if you qualify) so not every student has a wealthy family. As for the school being full of really smart and dedicated students? Not completely accurate.

Dee-Ann

Stetson University is an amazing community where friendships are built as great minds are challenged.

If I could go back in time, and give myself some advice about college, the number one thing I would tell myself is to practice time management. There is always some new event going on, and it’s easy to begin procrastinating on important assignments, especially because as a college freshman you get excited about... everything. I might also mention the benefits of a planner because I have found that you cannot possibly fit all the assignments you get onto your hand like you did in high school. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to not over stress myself, because it’s an easy way to psyche yourself out of trying your best, and giving your all in whatever the situation. In my first semester in college I often found that when I calmed down, and looked for a solution to my problem, or decided to do my best, and just accept the outcome I got better results, and I came out of the situation looking smart, flexible, and creative. I soon after realized that there was no point in freaking out about what has been done when you still have a chance to change the outcome.

The best thing about Stetson University is its unique ability to move as one mass unit toward success. Everyone on campus does their share to make sure that no one is left behind, and I mean that in the educational sense as well as the social sense. The professors on campus are eager to help students that are struggling, and will quickly find them help outside the classroom if necessary. In addition, the professors social and always enjoy chatting with the students. The students in turn are also very social and no matter what your situation you are never alone.

Jolynn

The best thing about the school is your ability to connect with students, faculty, and staff easily because of its small size. The small size also allows you to make a difference in the community. The price of Stetson is its biggest failure. Stetson is priced as an Ivy League school, yet is certainly not up to par with Ivy league school standards. Most obvious, Stetson University is NOT an Ivy League school. Stetson is a great FL private school, however, it is not worth the price.

It is most popular to go Greek on campus. The Greek organizations are the most active on campus in all aspects of college life.

Students are pretty diverse with regards to their interest. Generally, all students are well aware of societal issues and well versed in their field of study. Typically, students are very involved in one or more school organizations.

The academics range depending on your major. There are several courses that students can take for an easy A. On the other hand, there are also several options for students who truely desire to be challenged. Competition in this school is very aggressive, therefore, you must keep up with your studies or get lost in the pack.

Most students come from relatively wealthy families so there is a stereotype of "rich kids."

Crystal

I love Stetson. It fits the criteria that I desire as a transfer student who wants to remain focused and not have the many temptations that college students face on a daily basis at huge universities. Being that this is a small, private institution, I am able to have access to my professors on a more intimate level. The town of Deland is very small but there are activities you can get involved in (sky diving). It is between Daytona and Orlando where you can shop, hit the beach, surf, and party until your heart's content!

I'm not sure what the most popular groups on campus are just yet. Everyone seems to be really into Hatter athletics. There is huge team spirit here! I'm not dating on campus right now but there are a lot of good looking guys here :)

The majority of the students here are laid back. I haven't noticed any cliques. Students here range from every level of the social status. The majority is white females, but as a black female I do not feel uneasy or segregated.

Stetson has an awesome Music department and Business department! I am a Business Management major and I am loving every minute of my studying here.

I've never heard of any stereotypes as Stetson. However, when I came to Stetson for the first time (for a Phi Theta Kappa conference), I noticed that everyone has their own creative style and no one comes off as judgmental. People are friendly for the most part. No matter where you go, you will come across people whose personalities and/or attitudes are less than desirable. It's something you have to learn to adjust to as an adult.

Erica

The best thing about Stetson is the community. Everyone on campus is always so nice and ready to help. I love how class sizes are small and the professors are easy to work with and contact.

The most popular student activity on campus would have to be joining a Greek community. There are also so many different groups on campus as well. If you can think of it, Stetson has a group for it. By any chance Stetson doesn't have the group you are looking for, student shave the ability to start any group they wish. We are also located 20 minutes from Daytona so there is always something for students to do on and off campus.

The students at the school interact with each other extremely well. There aren't really stereotypes at the school. Honestly, I don't think any studen twould feel out of place here. Stetson has such a welcoming atmosphere that you can't help but feel at home. Most of the students here are from Florida but there are many from out of state and some from out of the country.

Professors always know your name here at Stetson. Class sizes are small enough for students and teachers to engage in active learning instead of listening to lectures. Students often sudy for a few hours a day or more. I feel that the school's academic requirements help to broaden the learning spectrum because of the general education classes all students are required to take.

The stereotype of students at Stetson is mainly "frat kids:. While we do have a lot of Greek students here, I believe the stereotype isn't true. Lots of Greek students don't follow the typical Greek stereotype though.

Jt

* The best thing about stetson is its Greek life. * I would change how they do grading around here. They like to grade and test you on memorization of terms that could be easily be looked up latter in life (since your going to forget them after the test anyways) I would love for there to be a standardized grading system at stetson, instead of teachers just giving you a grade on what they feel like giving you. In summery, change memorization to practicality. * I feel the school is just right. I don't personally like being a number at a school, so I came here where teachers know your name. * They know its a good school if there past the mason dixon line. If your talking to "Yankees" like my self, then they prob will ask you where that school is at. * I spend most of my time studying in the computer labs or at my fraternity house (Simga NU) * Yes DeLand is the definition of a college town. * It seems to be broken in a sense, teachers usually bring up that there administration is "under construction" * Someone died from smoking synthetic weed. * Yes there is tons of school pride, since the Greek body is strong here. * Nope not really * Rushing Sigma Nu * Parking, P-Safety, mondo grass and grading structure.

What's the Greek scene like?

One of the best I have seen at a University. I came here thinking I would never join Greek, but I guess I was wrong. :)

What do students complain about most?

P-Safety, Parking and Mondo Grass

They are good, all the professors here are Doctors in there field and know what there talking about for the most part. Lots of work for the most part, but that's expected when going to a University.

We are known for really being "Greek" (Fraternity and Sororities). While this stereotype is a true one, its a positive for the school. Stetson has very good Greek life and I highly recommend looking into rushing if you come to stetson.

Stetson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.