DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Daniel

Stetson is a great school with rigorous academics, great teachers, and the people are pretty great as well. The classes are small so you will get to know your professors really well, and they are all very willing to help with just about anything. If you like a small school where you can easily get to know a lot of people the size is perfect, but Stetson isn't so small that you will just know every person who walks by. Most people spend a lot of their time on campus, and DeLand is definitely a college town. Downtown is a short walk away, and has quite a few bars that students frequently go to. There's also the frats, and with Daytona and Orlando so close a lot of students will go clubbing or to bars there too. The beach is only about 20 minutes away and when it's warm a lot of students head to New Smyrna Beach. Tampa and Jacksonville are only about 2 hours away, and Miami is about 4 so I know quite a few people who will take off and go to music festivals or Gasparilla and the Knight Parade in Tampa. Being a small division 1 school there isn't really the expectation of really competing in big sports, but we're getting the football team back in a couple of years (2013) and for our size the soccer, basketball, and crew teams are really good.

Sports and clubs are definitely big here. Pretty much everybody is involved in something, and during IMs the frats all have massive rivalries and a ton of people will show up to cheer for whichever frat they like. There's also independent teams that I play on and we pretty much rock. Everybody is involved in something, and the more you do the more people you will get to know. There is always a guest speaker, movie, athletic event, or some presentation going on. Every night and weekend there is something going on somewhere on campus. Being a diverse campus and it being Florida for a small school the "dating scene" is much better than you would ever expect at such a small school. There is always something going on if you don't party, and if you do there are always the frats, bars, clubs and there is a lot to choose from. Within an hour there is pretty much any party scene you'd want. UCF is only 30 minutes away if you want to go to a big campus party. The frats and sororities are pretty popular, but they definitely don't take over anybody's life, and they aren't like frats at the big schools. They're better.

Most of the students are very open and accepting of all diversity. For a school in the Deep South Stetson is really open, and there are always diversity events going on for "cultural credit", there a ton of diversity clubs, and everyone is real relaxed about each other's differences and is proud of how different we are. It is the South so I won't say that everybody is accepting. There have been a couple incidents, but the administration deals with them really quickly, and those people are definitely a small minority. Everyone I know is really accepting and active. I don't think anybody would really feel out of place here. There's no dress code so girls will be dressed in anything from athletic shorts and a t-shirt to dress shirts and button down shirts and guys wear whatever; the frat guys all have certain days they wear their jerseys, and every frat has a designated "dress day" where they show up in suits or khakis and blazers. Stetson is also really awesome with financial aid, and actually over 10% of students come from backgrounds below the poverty line and Stetson pretty much picks up everything. If you like to volunteer there is also the Bonner program and scholarships and they basically pick up everything too.

The academics are pretty difficult, Stetson is actually one of the best Southern regional universities, and the classes can be difficult. The professors are all great though and they are always willing to help out if you have any problems whatsoever. Professors and departments will have cookouts at their house or put on events outside of class, and a lot of students will participate in these events (especially when there is free food). For instance, I am an Integrative Health Science Major on a pre-med track, and the science department is really great, and all the professors and students become really involved in one way or another. The classes and professors are great, but definitely ask around about which professors are the best. Some of them may be really difficult, but they are really interesting and the classes they teach are a lot of fun.

Laid back, volunteers, frat and sorority kids, people who are excessively awesome.

Sara

I would advise myself to take my time when choosing a school and to start searching for schools early on. It is important not to rush into any decision and choosing a college is a very important decision for every high school senior. It's vital not to rush into a school before visiting it or going to a school because of friends or other smaller factors that play into the decision. It is helpful to make a list of things that are important to me when looking for in a school. Also, after each visit to make pros and cons list of the school and compare it to the list I made of my "ideal" school. When making the decision of which college to go to its important not to feel rushed and ultimately to listen to my instincts because in the end only I know what my needs are and what is right for me. And lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy in this time because it will be one of the greatest moments of my life and I should try to capture each moment and experience each visit to its fullest potential.

I wish I would have know about the limited dinning options at Stetson. There are very few options to choose from when it comes to meals and meal plans. It would be nice to have some choices when it comes to lunch and dinner. The cafeteria food is not the greatest choice and as an Student-athlete, dinning is a important factor for training and competition. Many students would agree that the food is very repetitive and very limited as well.

Stetson is great because of its small class sizes. It is a huge advantage to students being able to get the most from professors during the class period. I transferred form a very large school, which had over 30,000 students to Stetson, a school with a little over 5,000. One reason being it was difficult to present questions in a large class; thus hindering students learning opportunities. At Stetson I get the most out of my classes because I can ask questions and the professors create a great learning environment where there are discussions and interaction among students.

Amelia

Take advantage of all of the resources on campus early on.

Take advantage of all of the resources on campus early on.

The best thing about Stetson is the welcoming environment. I fell in love with Stetson when I walked around the beautiful campus. The people are very friendly as well.

If you are thinking about going "Greek," then you should ask around to see which one is the best fit for you.

Ava

Stetson University is an amazing, fantastic, and great school with great opportunities you would not want to miss.

Most of the classmates are nice and helpful by lending a hand when you need it the most.

Ava you need to make sure when you get to college you are well prepared. High school is easier than college and they let you retake tests but once you get to college the baby sitting is over. Retakes are not allowed and you have to make great grades on those tests. So start studying on how to become a better test taker. Also apply for as many scholarships as you possibly can. This way you will be stable financially. Other than that you are doing a fantastic job keep pulling through, head strong the way you have been through your honor and AP classes.

Robert

If i could go back and inform myself about what to do differently to prepare for college; I would tell myself to be the person I am and not change. I love who I am and that is why I am here at Stetson University. I chose this school because it was a well renowned school academically and in baseball. I would probably jsut begin better study habits and that is about it.

There really isn't any type of person that shouldn't attend Stetson. It is a very welcoming environment and everyone here on campus is friendly and open to new people. I love it!

At Stetson I find the Cafeteria to be aweful. Being a student-athlete I have to be on a diet to stay healthy and I find myself eating the same things everyday. I wish there was a better variety of food and better quality at our school.

Robyn

The advice I would give myself is to gain as much knowledge as possible in my majors, psychology and management, just to have a bit of an upperhand in the competitive environment. Also to save as much money as possible to handle costs that come along with a college education. What's also important is to learn how to properly relax because college life can be stressful, whether it's exercising, going on a walk, or even just meditating. I think the best advice I can give myself is to take initiative because that's what gets results. It's how one stands out and take the reigns of your future because you dictate where your life goes.

The person who should attend this school is someone who is academically driven, who is willing to work for their goals. This person should have a desire to want to be involved in things such as clubs, community service projects and other extra curricular activities. A stetson student also must enjoy learning and have a willingness to learn new things, and have a variety of interests. Participation is heavily encouraged so any prospective student must be comfortable and confident when it comes to sharing their ideas, as well as, be willing to listen to the ideas of others.

Ambreshia

Graduation is around the corner Ambreshia. You have passed all of your finals and made all of the right choices, but I fear there are some things about college that you don't know. 1.) College is a lot different from high school. For starters, you will be expected to attend all of your classes with few absences. Your mother will not be around to wake you up. You will also have a lot more free time. Use it sparingly. Teachers do not care about your excuses; either you did the work or you didn't. 2.) Living on campus is a lot different from living at home. There are no parents there are no parents to tell you right from wrong. Do you remember the time when you wanted to go to that party and your mom made you stay home to study because you had finals the following Monday? Do you remember passing with flying colors? You have to be that person who says “I will stay home tonight and study.” College is exciting and fun, but the most important thing to remember is why you are here and to accomplish goals you have set.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of diversity. I truly believe that there should be a better mixture of students who attend the school as well as the amount who participate in the University's activities. I feel as if most of the activities are geared toward the majority population of the students who happen to be the white students rather than students of some other ethnic backgrounds that attend the University.

When I brag about Stetson University the first thing that comes to mind is community. I often tell new students who are thinking of coming here that this school has a great community of students as well as faculty. Everyone tries to help you succeed. The classrooms are extremely small in size, which in turn gives the professors a chance to get to know you on a personal level and give you the attention you need to be successful in your field of choice.

Dustin

Focus more on the math and sciences because your college education as a pre med student is very involved in these areas.

danielle

I would approach myslef and tell myself that you need to declare a major and stick with it. To choose pre med and find out all the information you need to know about everything, before applying to colleges. I would make sure I would apply for as many scholarships as possible, to take my studies a little more serious, even thought I graduated top ten in the class. Going into college undeclared was the biggest mistake I could have done for my career. When I finally figured out what I wanted to do in life, I was so uninformed about my major that I was going in blind and hoping I was doing the right things. Come to find out I was not meeting deadlines. If I could go back and tell myself this, and show myself that declaring my major and finally getting into my dream college and moving away will never come to be because you will be short six thousand dollars on your tuition and have to come home and return to the community college, and how complicated things do really get once high school is over, I think I would be in a better standing.

Kou

Stetson University is a private university where a student is an individual instead of a number.

Stetson University is a private university with a small student to teacher ratio, which makes it unique compared to other schools that I had considered. The students are individuals rather than just a body in the class. The professors make an effort to learn each student's name and the students are actually able to communicate with the professors. When I went to visit other schools, I was never guaranteed that I would have a chance to talk to the professor.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time wisely. In college, there are many social activities to choose from but one must understand that academics come first. As a high school senior, I sometimes made having fun my number one priority. This made the transition to college life a little more difficult because my parents are not here to tell me to focus on my studies.

Stetson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.