DeLand, FL
Stetson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stetson University

Andrea

A jar full of potential that sits in the cupboard forgotten.

A jar full of potential that sits in the cupboard forgotten.

We were slipping down into the lower classes, I ignored the fact that financial difficulties would only grow with the cost of a dimpoma. My mother had given birth to my younger half-brother Daniel just five years before, and she was already struggling to organize finances with his father for kindergarden at a montosori school. I would have then opened my eyes to the every day sacrafices my mother had made for me to go through private school as well; a luxury she made sure we could afford. If I could go back I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships in order to avoid being a financial burden to my parents, instead of being ashamed to apply for scholarships while my prep-school friends asked for the latest BMW. Maybe I underestimated what it was like to be a "poor college kid", or I didnt believe I would feel embarrassment and guilt asking my mother for tuition money when I knew she could not. Regardless of the reason why the decision to apply for scholarships didn´t happen then, I am grateful for sequence of events that led me to apply for the chance now.

The size allows for a very nice community feel between peers and professors alike. Theres a small number people too feel at home and comfortable around, yet just enough to be able to see someone new every day.

Ariana

The University of Redlands is best known for studies in communicative disorder and the Johnston program. Johnston allows students to create their own major to fit their unique interests and abilities. But I'd say really people know it for being a small liberal arts college that gives students a chance to take classes outside of their comfort zone that aren't just for general ed credits. Also the staff is truly there for the students to help and advise.

During senior year, stress flowed freely through my blood stream. I know, it's only temporary but at the time it seemed like we were all stuck in a perpetual loop of assignments, finals, tests, and applications. Breathe! Look at me, I'm alive and well; you can do this. It only gets better. For one, the people in university actually want to be there and share some of the same aspirations as you do. The atmosphere is generally more positive, so even if you're having a cruddy day you're sure to see someone you know with a smile. But, don't expect too much from the kids your age. In a lot of ways they are the same as in high school, just older and "cooler". Just be true to yourself and don't let any of it get to you. And don't worry, you'll make some friends who like you just as you are! Keep smiling kiddo and don't forget to have fun.

Someone who doesn't mind getting close to people and sharing a fun yet serious education would be at home here. If you like southern California weather and a small campus this is for you!

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I know you think if you opt for dual enrollment in your senior year that you are going to miss out on the whole high school experience but that is really not true. Sure, you won’t see those knuckleheads that entertain the whole class and you might not be able to walk your girlfriend to her locker, but the other possibilities are endless. Those knuckleheads will still be entertaining crowds at the fast food restaurant they are working at and it is definitely way “more cool” to be waiting to pick up your girlfriend when she gets out. Understanding that, consider the following. First, you will get one year of college for free. Crazy, I know, but consider the savings if you transfer to a college that accepts all the credits. There are a lot of hidden costs when you are in college and the savings could help. Secondly, you’ll get to experience the pace of assignments and the type of work college professors expect from you. Lastly, I think you will really appreciate that the other students are there to learn just like you and because they are paying tuition, most are take it seriously.

The biggest draw for me to Stetson University was the small population. I had been fortunate enough to be accepted to several other universities, but they were all rather large. As a somewhat shy kid, I was extremely impressed with Stetson’s small class size. Most of the classes average between 20 and 50 students, in comparison to 50 to 300 students in the larger schools. This small class size affords you the opportunity to connect with peers and most importantly your professors. Knowing your professors allows you to acquire additional assistance when needed.

Stetson University students are dedicated to their studies and seem to know their direction or intended course of study from the onset of their college career. The typical Stetson student is extremely passionate about their major whether it be law or the arts. The campus is small which affords the students to become a more cohesive unit. A person that enjoys getting involved with campus programs and clubs will love this close knit community. Stetson does an excellent job of offering a variety of clubs, NCAA sports and club sports as well as a great Greek life.

Kiara

If I could go back and give myself advice I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships. I really wish I could have told myself, to take it seriously right from the start. I would have told myself to become more involved in organizations on campus and party less. Thankfully, junior year, I finally got the job I wanted in the finance department and excelled as a D1 NCAA rower; but I am overloading my plate in order to increase my campus footprint, which is working, but would have been easier if started two years ago. When I started college I was all about business and taking hard classes to prove myself smart and able. Although I did well I wish I would have known that it really is better to take American History 101 instead of History of Eastern Europe, which in any case has come in handy with the current crisis in Syria we are following. Luckily again, I did take an art law class as my junior seminar and it has incited a world of interdisciplinary interest in me I cannot wait to pursue in grad school.

Depndency of greek life for social life

Driven, focused, smart, and positive person. It is very easy to get depressed or lonely here. You have to be willing to do alot of leg work in order to get what you want in terms of jobs or oppurtunities.

Wamweni

Stetson University promotes Global Citizenship. As a Stetson student, you become a part of a community that is made up of different cultures. You become engaged and active, learning about the importance of diversity and how to promote social justice. You become a part of a family and feel included, despite what color, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, or religion you are. You feel welcome and ready to achieve more than you came to do. Stetson takes you far in life, further than you imagined possible.

Right now you have your eyes and mind set on Harvard. But trust me when I say this, there's more to life than Harvard. You have a part to play in this world and no matter where you go in this world, you can achieve it as long as you believe it. You may want others to assist you, but don't give up when everyone turns away from you and looks the other way. You are all you need to get it done. You are in a room full of many doors. Don't be afraid to grasp a handle and take a risk. Sometime when you risk it, you lose big. Sometimes when you risk it, you win big. You never know which , so take your eyes off that one door and open up your eyes to what else lies before you. There are different ways to reach to the world and achieve your dreams. Think outside the box and walk through that open space. I can assure you this, if you take the risk, in the end you won't be disappointed.

The best thing I like about my university is how everyone is pushed to become involved in the community and learn a lot outside of school. With a requirement to obtain a certain amount of cultural credits before graduation, I found myself attending campus events weekly learning about life outside my own. With these cultural events, I've gained understanding to what many people face because of their ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, and many other traits that set them apart from various populations. I've learned to be inclusive and accept others for who they are. Stetson is culturally diverse.

Myranda

We are best known for our small sized classes, A-Sun conference winning basketball teams, beautiful campus, and law school.

With what I know now, I would advise my high school self to have faith and trust myself more! Being on your own in college means making decisions for yourself without anyone looking over your shoulder. Having more confidence in who I am and how I was raised would have helped me make better choices during my first year in college. Trusting myself and my gut feelings would have saved me from a few awkward situations, improved my grades and overall helped me grow as a person. Additionally, being able to reflect on decisions that I made helped me realize areas that I had potential to grow in. My high school self should know that it is okay to make mistakes! Stop being so hard on yourself, and have confidence. One way or another, everything works out. Trust yourself.

I wish I would have known about the extremely limited meal plan.

Monica

It's history, small classes, and its diverse student body.

It's history, small classes, and its diverse student body.

If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self about college, i would tell her not to worry. College is a big deal but take it instrides and you will be fine. There is a lot of coursework, reading, and writing essays but if you have a schedule then you will not have to pull all nighters. I would also tell myself to join more activties. Knowing only a few people might be fine during the first weeks a your firt semester but talking to more people makes you get out of your comfort zone. Join more activties; you need to find a balance between having a social life and your school work, meaning get a social life. Don't just focus on your school work, that will work itself out. Oh, and one more thing, have a good time, don't stress so much and thank your parents for everything.

A person who wants one on one with their professors. Someone who doesn't mind a small campus and someone who wants to get involved with school activties

Small class sizes. The difference a small class can make is enourmous. Going to a large university meant sitting in a room with 300 other college students. Always being a number and never a face was never appealing. My professors know who I am, they know my major, and even my name. They care about us as students. Stetson University offers a unique class setting that allows us to bond with our professors. If I need help with an assignment my professors don't hesitate. The best feeling in the world is having a professor who cares. Welcome to Stetson.

Save money and be prepared. College is expensive, it is no joke. Loans are serious, and financial aid isn't going to cover everything. I worked hard in high school, now in my first year of college, I would have told my high school self to work even harder. College is competitive. A summer job is necessary, and saving all the birthday money and spare change counts. Don't underestimate the 100 dollars and why you should save it. That money could make all the difference in college. Be prepared. College is one of the best experiences of your life. Make sure that you enjoy every moment. Here I am in second semester already. While enjoying college is important, be prepared for all the "free time" that comes with it. Free time is such an important necessity. Learn to balance school work and free time. Should you be watching tv or working on the essay that is due in two days. College is a lot of freedom and responsibility. Be smart and learn to balance the two. Don't stress out. College is worth every penny and every second. Work hard, and save. Success is imminent.

No matter what college you go to the only word that matters is money. Money makes the world go round. When applying to college I found that I had no idea where I would find the money. I don't live with either parent, there were no savings. My only option was student loans. I wish I had found a summer job and saved every penny. College is an investment, and an important one at that. Make the right choices and you will be successful. I guarantee it. Money is tight, but I make do. So will you.

Danielle

Well there is the usual not-so-smart jocks, ridiculously smart over-achievers, and slackers that sleep if they show up to class, but overall the majority of my peers are intelligent and highly-focused people really trying to do well in class.

For once, the people you'll be surrounded by actually want to be at school and will actually try to learn. Which means you should step it up and actually try for once. College is a refreshing, sometimes stressful, challenge. Also, don't be so hesitant to make friends. Not only that but you (surprisingly) won't be moving again to new state- you'll actually be in Florida for a little bit. So far you're up to 4 years in this place. You're really going to miss the snow, but if you can get through college then you can go somewhere cold, like Colorado. Oh and you get your first boyfriend your Sophomore year- he's British, 21, ridiculously cute, nice, and a marine... and he just got a motorcylce. So when that sleezeball that you thought you liked stops talking to you for no reason during your Freshman year, don't worry about it. Keep your chin up and wait it out, a real man is just around the corner. It's okay to feel. College is more responsibilty and more work, but it's also a place to become the real you.

Usually the first words out of my mouth are about how beautiful the campus is and how small the class sizes are. It isn't easy to be ignored here which makes it easier to keep your grades up and make friends- basically you can't just get lost in the crowd. I also say the academics are actually a challenge- a change from high school which put me to sleep. That and Stetson is decently close to the beach.

We strive to achieve our full potential within the classroom, choose to broaden our scope of the world through offered campus activies, and exhibit Stetson's core values in our day to day lives.

As a high school senior, I focused only on living in the moment, never the big picture. I focused on one test at a time, one homework assignment, one day, one period, and never acknowledged that soon my future would be starting with me as the only one to make it happen. If I could go back I would start applying for scholarships early, I would apply to as many colleges as possible, and tour campuses more often. Although I love Stetson University, I was blinded by my sheer love for the school, and chose not to look at the amount tuition would be for the year. As a result, I am forced to look at other options for the rest of my college life. If I would have started the process sooner I could have found more scholarships to help fund my college career, I would have seen more campuses to compare in my process of choosing a college, and ultimately, I could have found a more suitable route to take in creating an environment where I love my school, have a trying schedule to fit my education needs, and can afford the process.

Stetson University offers the chance to be a prominent voice within a community. If students have a club, project, study abroad program, or any general idea, they are able to present it to administrators and, if their reasoning is acceptable, ultimately they are able to follow through on the idea. This gives students the chance to stand up for their future, bringing what they need to their school rather than search somewhere else for the opportunities. Stetson is accommodating to each student, knowing every body is important and not just a number.

Stetson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.