Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

If i could go back and inform myself about what to do differently to prepare for college; I would tell myself to be the person I am and not change. I love who I am and that is why I am here at Stetson University. I chose this school because it was a well renowned school academically and in baseball. I would probably jsut begin better study habits and that is about it.

Ive gotten to learn that in order to be a successful student it takes hard work and time management. Playing varsity basketball and trying to maintain a high GPA makes you understand that you must have your priorities in order. Life is always about being balanced and I feel that Stetson has taught me how to be a balanced athlete, student and person everyday.

You need to find a balance of academics and financial aid. If you're not sure what you want to major in, look for a school with strengths in a lot of areas so that if you change your mind, you're not stuck in the wrong place. Go with your gut in picking a school and hang in there -- everyone wants to transfer their first semester.

Do your best not to follow your friends or loved ones to an instatution. Find a campus that feels comfortable to you that you can imagine yourself studying at, not partying. Pay close attention to the many majors the college or university has to offer, everyone changes their mind eventually, give yourself the freedom to choose.

Make sure you visit all of the schools you are considering attending and talk to faculty and students before you commit to a school. Be sure you can afford to attend the school you decide on, either through scholarships or loans. Do your coursework, meet as many people as you can, and participate in your class discussions.

My advice would be to make sure I have as much control over myself as possible and to make sure I go for only what I want. The knowledge I gain should be up to me and on my terms. Also, do more independent projects and post them online and start contacting people for internships in the southwest and SoCal already.

Don't slack off on homework so much because it is never going to go away and the better grades you get, the more financial aid you qualify for and I definitely need that. Also, get more involved with school because everyone is involved on campus in college and it actually is fun and you meet lots of cool people.

I have been able to find a freedom from my abusive home life. School is my key to a new life for myself and my younger brother. College also has made me more aware of the world. I have also had the pleasure of meeting many professors who are true altruistic people. The experience is worth all of the stuggles.

"Hey me! When you get into Stetson later this year, remember to say something along the lines of 'I am the worlds biggest geek' when you get into the dorm. It really went over well and helped you... well... me... to make lots of good friends. Oh, and don't forget to just enjoy the day-to-day life. See ya'!"

Find a college that first of all will cater to the academic needs you are looking for. For example, if you are wanting to get a degree in biology, find a college that has a solid science degree program. Make the most out of your college experience by getting involved as much as possible.