Stetson University Top Questions

Kimberlyn

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself never give up. I know that during high school that I thought that I should give up and that I would not be good enough for college. Especially having a really young mom everyone already expected me to just be another statistic. I would tell myself that what I am doing is good enough and that I am going to be accepted to an amazing school. Also that I am much greater than the statistic that I was born into. I would also tell myself that things are going to get harder before they get easier. Especially when my dad was going through Chemo Therapy but that we where all going to make it and that you are going to make it to college to further your education.

Kadejia

I've thought of this topic quite a bit throughout my college transition and while starting my second semster of college, I've narrowed down what I would say to my high school self, if given the chance. I would tell myself, "It's not what you hoped it would be. There aren't lecture halls, there's small classrooms. You'll have to interact with people you don't know. And you'll barely see your best friend that you followed to school so you'll need to meet people to hang out with. But, "And I'd smile to dejected past self, "Everything gets better. You'll meet a group nerds like yourself, and whatever you do, don't side with James for Dungeons and Dragons because he's a selfish player." Then I'd add, "And make sure, you actually study for classes and participate because it's easer and a lot morefun than you will expect. You'll know the answers, you just need to say them. And don't foget to take Mathmatical Game Theory because you actually play games in that class!" Lastly I'd say"The most important advice is to have fun."

I can imagine seeing myself sitting behind the librarian’s desk at my high school as a senior, I see myself sitting there and reading, helping the librarians, taking phone calls, and helping other students. I see my sixteen year old self being socially awkward, instead of eating lunch in the cafeteria, I ate lunch in the library, instead of making new friends, I made friends with the library staff. My senior year revolved around the library, I was always in it working rather than socializing. If I could go back in time to talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more social. In high school, I only talked to a few people, I would avoid social situations, and sit alone and study If I could go back, I would tell myself that I didn’t always have to study, I could make new friends and experience new things. If I would have talked to more people in my senior year, I would be more social in my freshman year in college.

We were slipping down into the lower classes, I ignored the fact that financial difficulties would only grow with the cost of a dimpoma. My mother had given birth to my younger half-brother Daniel just five years before, and she was already struggling to organize finances with his father for kindergarden at a montosori school. I would have then opened my eyes to the every day sacrafices my mother had made for me to go through private school as well; a luxury she made sure we could afford. If I could go back I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships in order to avoid being a financial burden to my parents, instead of being ashamed to apply for scholarships while my prep-school friends asked for the latest BMW. Maybe I underestimated what it was like to be a "poor college kid", or I didnt believe I would feel embarrassment and guilt asking my mother for tuition money when I knew she could not. Regardless of the reason why the decision to apply for scholarships didn´t happen then, I am grateful for sequence of events that led me to apply for the chance now.

Ariana

During senior year, stress flowed freely through my blood stream. I know, it's only temporary but at the time it seemed like we were all stuck in a perpetual loop of assignments, finals, tests, and applications. Breathe! Look at me, I'm alive and well; you can do this. It only gets better. For one, the people in university actually want to be there and share some of the same aspirations as you do. The atmosphere is generally more positive, so even if you're having a cruddy day you're sure to see someone you know with a smile. But, don't expect too much from the kids your age. In a lot of ways they are the same as in high school, just older and "cooler". Just be true to yourself and don't let any of it get to you. And don't worry, you'll make some friends who like you just as you are! Keep smiling kiddo and don't forget to have fun.

Hey Ryan, I know you think if you opt for dual enrollment in your senior year that you are going to miss out on the whole high school experience but that is really not true. Sure, you won’t see those knuckleheads that entertain the whole class and you might not be able to walk your girlfriend to her locker, but the other possibilities are endless. Those knuckleheads will still be entertaining crowds at the fast food restaurant they are working at and it is definitely way “more cool” to be waiting to pick up your girlfriend when she gets out. Understanding that, consider the following. First, you will get one year of college for free. Crazy, I know, but consider the savings if you transfer to a college that accepts all the credits. There are a lot of hidden costs when you are in college and the savings could help. Secondly, you’ll get to experience the pace of assignments and the type of work college professors expect from you. Lastly, I think you will really appreciate that the other students are there to learn just like you and because they are paying tuition, most are take it seriously.

Kiara

If I could go back and give myself advice I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships. I really wish I could have told myself, to take it seriously right from the start. I would have told myself to become more involved in organizations on campus and party less. Thankfully, junior year, I finally got the job I wanted in the finance department and excelled as a D1 NCAA rower; but I am overloading my plate in order to increase my campus footprint, which is working, but would have been easier if started two years ago. When I started college I was all about business and taking hard classes to prove myself smart and able. Although I did well I wish I would have known that it really is better to take American History 101 instead of History of Eastern Europe, which in any case has come in handy with the current crisis in Syria we are following. Luckily again, I did take an art law class as my junior seminar and it has incited a world of interdisciplinary interest in me I cannot wait to pursue in grad school.

Wamweni

Right now you have your eyes and mind set on Harvard. But trust me when I say this, there's more to life than Harvard. You have a part to play in this world and no matter where you go in this world, you can achieve it as long as you believe it. You may want others to assist you, but don't give up when everyone turns away from you and looks the other way. You are all you need to get it done. You are in a room full of many doors. Don't be afraid to grasp a handle and take a risk. Sometime when you risk it, you lose big. Sometimes when you risk it, you win big. You never know which , so take your eyes off that one door and open up your eyes to what else lies before you. There are different ways to reach to the world and achieve your dreams. Think outside the box and walk through that open space. I can assure you this, if you take the risk, in the end you won't be disappointed.

Myranda

With what I know now, I would advise my high school self to have faith and trust myself more! Being on your own in college means making decisions for yourself without anyone looking over your shoulder. Having more confidence in who I am and how I was raised would have helped me make better choices during my first year in college. Trusting myself and my gut feelings would have saved me from a few awkward situations, improved my grades and overall helped me grow as a person. Additionally, being able to reflect on decisions that I made helped me realize areas that I had potential to grow in. My high school self should know that it is okay to make mistakes! Stop being so hard on yourself, and have confidence. One way or another, everything works out. Trust yourself.

If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self about college, i would tell her not to worry. College is a big deal but take it instrides and you will be fine. There is a lot of coursework, reading, and writing essays but if you have a schedule then you will not have to pull all nighters. I would also tell myself to join more activties. Knowing only a few people might be fine during the first weeks a your firt semester but talking to more people makes you get out of your comfort zone. Join more activties; you need to find a balance between having a social life and your school work, meaning get a social life. Don't just focus on your school work, that will work itself out. Oh, and one more thing, have a good time, don't stress so much and thank your parents for everything.

Save money and be prepared. College is expensive, it is no joke. Loans are serious, and financial aid isn't going to cover everything. I worked hard in high school, now in my first year of college, I would have told my high school self to work even harder. College is competitive. A summer job is necessary, and saving all the birthday money and spare change counts. Don't underestimate the 100 dollars and why you should save it. That money could make all the difference in college. Be prepared. College is one of the best experiences of your life. Make sure that you enjoy every moment. Here I am in second semester already. While enjoying college is important, be prepared for all the "free time" that comes with it. Free time is such an important necessity. Learn to balance school work and free time. Should you be watching tv or working on the essay that is due in two days. College is a lot of freedom and responsibility. Be smart and learn to balance the two. Don't stress out. College is worth every penny and every second. Work hard, and save. Success is imminent.

For once, the people you'll be surrounded by actually want to be at school and will actually try to learn. Which means you should step it up and actually try for once. College is a refreshing, sometimes stressful, challenge. Also, don't be so hesitant to make friends. Not only that but you (surprisingly) won't be moving again to new state- you'll actually be in Florida for a little bit. So far you're up to 4 years in this place. You're really going to miss the snow, but if you can get through college then you can go somewhere cold, like Colorado. Oh and you get your first boyfriend your Sophomore year- he's British, 21, ridiculously cute, nice, and a marine... and he just got a motorcylce. So when that sleezeball that you thought you liked stops talking to you for no reason during your Freshman year, don't worry about it. Keep your chin up and wait it out, a real man is just around the corner. It's okay to feel. College is more responsibilty and more work, but it's also a place to become the real you.

As a high school senior, I focused only on living in the moment, never the big picture. I focused on one test at a time, one homework assignment, one day, one period, and never acknowledged that soon my future would be starting with me as the only one to make it happen. If I could go back I would start applying for scholarships early, I would apply to as many colleges as possible, and tour campuses more often. Although I love Stetson University, I was blinded by my sheer love for the school, and chose not to look at the amount tuition would be for the year. As a result, I am forced to look at other options for the rest of my college life. If I would have started the process sooner I could have found more scholarships to help fund my college career, I would have seen more campuses to compare in my process of choosing a college, and ultimately, I could have found a more suitable route to take in creating an environment where I love my school, have a trying schedule to fit my education needs, and can afford the process.

Baylee

Dear High School Senior Self, Take a deep breath! You are almost there! Applying to colleges can be overwhelming. Hearing the word college may also stress you out. This is why I emphasize to breathe. College is not as scary as you think. College is a new environment, a chance for you to be anyone you want to be. Take chances, be outgoing. Don't worry so much. The other students are much more friendly than you think. Don't shy away from new experiences, get involved. Being involved on campus really helps with the transition. Take risks and discover new things about yourself. Work hard and strive for your goals. You can graduate college! Try not to be so hard on yourself when you don't get the grade you want. Learn from your failures, and reach for your own excellence. So take a breath and enjoy the ride because your time in college will fly by. Sincerely, Your Future Self

If I could be a high school senior again, I would tell myself to start preparing early. Apply for as many scholarships as possible because it is insane how expensive college can be. Also, I would tell myself to look into classes as well as the professors that teach them. Talking to other students to see who to have as a professor and who not to have can make a huge impact on your workload in college. As a college freshman, one of the best things that I did was going into college blind. Meaning that I did not room with someone that I already knew. This forced me to get to know people around campus and make friendships I wouldn't normally make. Looking into clubs and organizations on campus was also a really good thing that I did. It got me involved and kept me extremely busy my first semester which helped me from getting homesick too much. In conclusion, I would tell my high school self to prepare to be blown away by an amazing college experience. It is already flying by and has been some of the best few months in my life.

Delaney

The first piece of advice I'd give myself is to plan ahead for mistakes and accidents to happen. I'd tell myself to make sure I finish all of my school work ahead of time and save the money from my paychecks. Being granted total independence can make one feel invinsible, but when an obstacle is put in the way, having the extra time and money makes a big difference. The other piece of advice I'd give myself is to get into a healthy routine as fast as possible. As a college student who is probably working a part time job, being healthy and well rested is astronomically important. Establishing a routine can also help keep someone out of trouble and eliminate procrastination. College is the time to put the knowledge of the real world that parent's instill in their children to the test as well as learn new things. Learning new things can be a great thing, but keeping a level head and making better choices with your life is the best and easiet way to get through college.

If I were to go back to my high school self and give her advice there would be many different things that I would want to share because knowing these few things would have helped me in my transition to college. Most likely the first thing that I would tell myself would be that college is so much different from high school. No one cares about who you were in high school, whether you were popular, a jock or a geek it doesn’t matter when you enter college you are still a small fish in a big pond. Secondly I would say get involved in extracurricular activities, not only do they look good on a resume but they will give you a break from classes, studying and stress and they are absolutely the best way to get to know people. Lastly the most important tip I would give myself would be, the faster you learn to manage your time in college the more successful you will end up being. College is an amazing experience and overall you will end up enjoying it more if you are able to juggle everything that you want to do.

Be mentally prepared for the workload. Don't involve yourself in a relationship!

Lynnette

I would say do not forget to look back. I would also say do not forget to look forward. And side to side, especially when crossing the street. As light hearted as my advice may seem, it is very important advice that I did not get as a high school senior. My parents divorced when I was three. During the school year my sisters and I lived with our mother and grandparents in The Carlos Avery Game Farm. The summer months were spent working on my father’s dairy farm. I had an interesting, yet simple life. College was very different. I had chosen a private university in the city and I was the first of my siblings to go to college, so naturally I was very excited. I allowed myself to become distracted. I joined a sorority, attended fundraisers, and ‘social events.’ I changed majors, and schools, twice. I procrastinated on my homework and my grades suffered. I lost scholarships and had to withdraw. I had disappointed my family. Had I been paying attention back then, maybe I would be still moving forward. Instead I am going back to try again, but this time I have focus and determination.

Beware of people who would use you. College is a bigger world than high school, even if Stetson is a smaller campus. You can trust no one with yourself, there are people who would use you for their own gain. Your friends are not always your friends. Don't surrender your social life though, just be cautious. And don't give up your social life entirely for school work. Learning is the main purpose for going to college yes, but your mental stability is also important. Hang out with your friends more, get to know the people you live with more, be in the common area more. You can't go through life being a recluse. And hang out for that Mr. Charming, you shouldn't listen to what everyone says about them either. Because your perfect one is waiting for you, and you will find him! Balance caution, learn time management, and push the issue of bringing your dog with you more. Learn not to be so dependent, and don't panic so much about tests! Go to the sessions Stetson has for time management and study skills, use the resources! And go to the Counseling Center when needed!

Marie

Dear Marie, I know that you’re worried about college coming up, but don’t forget to have fun with your friends while you have a chance. Work is not everything in life right now- you can worry about loans on breaks. You have no problem making friends and it will show when you move in. When things happen that you don’t agree with or that you don’t like, stand your ground. College is the time to grow as a person, so don’t live with regrets about what you should or shouldn’t do. People see that you’re smart and empathetic. Find that balance between friends and school, and don’t take your success in high school for granted. There are so many things that you can do now that you’re “free” from the restraints. Be careful with yourself and others. Be yourself and take a couple risks, but don’t go overboard. Deep down, you know what to do. Take deep breaths and keep smiling, Yourself P.S. Your passion is being present to people. That will help your struggle during freshman and sophomore year.

david

If I had an oportunity to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school student, I would make the following sugestions: I would appreciate the teachers, I would pay strict attention to what they were telling me, I would have taken as much college credtis as I can, I would prepare myself for success at an early stage, I would encourge all my friends to do what I was doing, I would certainly get involved in every student activities that were available, I would demostrate all chrcteristics of an honor roll student, and ofcourse , I would also getin volved in some sort of community service, in order to display good charcter on campus and of campus. There are many other , things that I can say to myself, if I can turn back to the hand of time. Those beautiful advices that I have just now mentioned, have enlightened me. Therefore I am going to act as if I am still in high school. Now I am going to do everything in my power to be wne of the best student that ever walked across the college campus. Thank you for listening to me.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself is to stay at the school and do homework. I had a high school teacher tell me this and I didn't really listen to her because I thought I could just sit down at home and do it like I always have. My first semester in college I didn't get very good grades because I would come home and get distracted. I ended up having to withdraw from the semester due to medical reasons, so my grades didn't count for the semester. When I re-started my first semester in the Spring, I listened to the advice the teacher at the high school gave me to stay at school and study. When I did, I got so much done and learned so much more than I did in the previous semester. I know when the Fall semester comes around I am going to continue to stay at school and do my work because I get it done that way.

rebecca

When looking back at my senior year in high school all I could think about was graduating. Now that I am going into my final full year of college there is so much more I should have been concentrating on besides graduation. Due to the lack of financial assistance I may not be able to attend school in the coming semester; due to this fact I should have been more focused on paying for college instead of hurrying to graduation. If I could go back and give myself advice it would be to get focused, apply for scholarships, and find other ways to save up for college.

Raveena

As we grow older I, as well others, want to say our lives were lived without any regrets. We don’t think about the present and how it will look when it is our past. Every person is different on how they apply these words of wisdom. There is never a concrete “right” answer in life, well except in math.. Some decide that they will dedicate their lives to sports, some education; some spend their whole lives discovering themselves. When we are the critical age of deciding our future, we are compared to the wonders of the world. The CEOs, the doctors, the one who makes a million dollars, the one who got into that Ivey League College. You never have to live up your life to someone else’s success but your own. A mistake should not be seen as a failure. It has been drilled into us “don’t make that mistake again”. A mistake can’t be a mistake if it ends up leading you to the path you desire. . If the career choice you choose fulfills your heart’s desire then your choice can never be wrong.

Annamaria

I was in high school thirty years ago. I would caution myself to be more invested in myself. I would explain that the more I learned only could benefit me in the end. I always had that deep drive to acheive what people said I couldn't but maybe I could use that drive in my studies. I would tell myself to learn about Scholarships and Grants. I never had the financial support of my parents and couldn't figure out how to pay for college. That's why I put it off. If I knew about avenues for helping pay for college, I might have gone back sooner. I would explain that life and love could wait but that education will last you forever. I would help myself to see that I was worth the better things in life that can be achieved with an education. I spent to much time trying to be an adult and not enough time just enjoying being in the moment. These are some of the things I tried to impart to my sons.

Dear High School self, You are extremely lucky because you already know what you want to do and you are going to be great at it. By starting at community college, you are saving yourself (and your parents) a TON of money- smart choice. When you get to Stetson, you need to get involved. It's going to be a pain because you live at home and you're shy, but it will be worth it. Join clubs and actually attend meetings, sit in the cafeteria even if you're alone- maybe someone will join you. Enjoy your time with classmates who, like you, want to be teachers and can understand the work load you are going through. Step out of your comfort zone girl! Sincerely, College self

Zuri

Zuri Sellers I am your future self. Being a senior right now will be one of the greatest times of you life. But now it is also crunch time. College is right around the corner and I know you haven't been accepted to any schools. Volleyball isn't coming to you right now on a silver platter so you need to apply to more colleges ASAP! You also need to push yourself harder in class also because Senioritis is going to bite you in the butt VERY VERY hard. Applying for scholarships needs to be all you think about. You need to eat sleep and breathe it beacuse mom and dad can't do it on their own. Do your best and you are going to love the school you get into. Trust me I'm you.

rebecca

If I went back in time I would tell myself to enjoy every moment I had and to apply for more scholarships to prepare for the future. When I was a high school senior all I could think about was getting out of high school and moving on to the next part of my life. I knew that it would be more difficult, but I didn't know that it would be this hard. I would tell myself to plan for the future by applying for any scholarship I was eligible for and try to prepare for the hard road ahead. Knowing what I do now and the financial situation I am in, I would have saved up as much as I could and spent more time focused on my future education; instead of just getting out of high school.

Sabrina

If I could go back in time and talk to my, high school self, I would. First, I would remind myself that I will not be staying in my own state for college, so spend less time joining every organization at school and remember to spend time with friends- who I will not see anymore. I would then get down to business. I would tell myself to begin studying French before jumping into it in college (because its much harder than expected). I should know that they are not kidding when they say that you should only join three clubs/organizations, because if I do more I will be overloaded and run down. I would also tell myself to make sure I bring motivation to eat healthy and continue to work out- because since I will have no sports here- like I did in high school- my motivation will decrease, and my schedule will be very busy- so I need to MAKE time to be healthy. If I could go back and have a conversation with my high school self, I think I would have been a little more prepared for the things that sneak up on you in college.

Dear High school self, you weren't involved in high school, but it would be in your benefit to change that in college. There are so many great people you could make friends with, just try to step out of your comfort zone a little (or a lot). Also, start saving your money. You will end up going to an amazing college, but you will need to take out loans and saving your money would help you pay for books. It may seem scary going from a small community college to a larger school (even though it's a pretty small school) but don't be afraid- you will experience a warm welcome from everyone. Did I mention you should get involved? Sincerely, College self.

Migdaly

An advice I would give to my high school senior self is staying positive. I would tell my high school self to not be afraid in asking for help, to not be pesstimistic and to not think lowly of one's self. I've honestly made some mistakes here in school due to self-esteem problems and have fallen behind with school work. But I have managed to find help last year thanks to a music professor at the university. The music professor had led me to a career counselor who helped me choose my major and advised me to see a guidance counselor. From then on, I have seeked help from academic counselors, tutors and professors. With so many staff and faculty members helping me succeed in school, I am able to manage my studies and do well in school. My high school self never seeked much help in high school and did not study much. But, with a few words of encouragement and telling my high school self to stay positive I would've done a bit better with studying for SAT, ACT, AP test and probably would've been accepted into my dream school.

Reba

Don't go home as much freshman year. Don't get into a relationship freshman year. Just because it's a "beach day" doesn't give you a reason to skip class. Just have fun in college, it'll all be worth it in the end and you will make some awesome friends along the way :)

Cassidy

Cassidy, right now you stare in the mirror for hours picking out flaws. You waste money on fancy clothes to try to stand out, but end up just as invisible as before. Listen to me. Self-hatred is a waste. The only one who thinks badly about you is yourself. Other people are concerned with their own problems and insecurities; So, even if you feel like every failure is hung up on a wall like art and everyone is critiquing it, in actuallity they aren't. They feel the same way. So live a little more for yourself and care a little less what other people think (stop trying to please people: you won't be in contact in the future with the people who don't accept you now. They won't matter anymore.). You've wasted too much of your life already wishing you were someone else. Soon you'll realize what a gift it is to be you, and you'll wish you had appreciated yourself more. Love, Cassidy

Taebatha

Younger me, this is vital information I'm giving you. I know your going through a rough time right now, but it works out. Focus on school right now. It's more important than you realize. Get involved in dual-enrollment and get a few college courses done. As for Sean, just be his friend. That's best for him and you. When you leave for basic, don't be scared. You meet good people and become close friends. But do not, and I repeat, do not become a stick. You will hate that job and Chief will be out to get you. Also, change your MOS on classifications day- trust me Aircrew is not worth it. But if you do keep it and go to special physicals don't say you've had issues breathing, they will kick you out. And when you start college get all your papers in early. They make you run around in circles. Also- on your FASFA, number 38 is wrong. I wouldn't say we made mistakes this year but we could have made it better, so for you and me just listen to what I've told you and do your best.

I would give my self the advice to "take a chill pill". The college life is all about self growth, academically socailly and culturally. In highschool I believe i was too high strung about everything when college is nothing like that.

Kaleigh

I would tell myself not to be afraid of talking to the faculty and staff or of making friends. I would say that the people at the school are nice and helpful and that I would make a lot of friends. I would also tell myself to try to be more outgoing and to not be afriad to speak out.

Dalia

Being a child of immigrants who did not even finish high school I had no knowledge or encouragement to attend college. If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself that there IS hope for me. All I needed was proper guidance and to seek answers from the proper personnel. There is Financial Aid available all I needed to do was fill out the application, something that I had no knowledge of at the time. I would let myself know that I could have started filling out scholarships. There is hope, there WAS hope. There was not a need to join the military, deploy, and endure the hardships I have now in order to attend college.

I was quite the slacker in high school and almost wasn't accepted into Stetson University. My GPA was unimpressive and I graduated with no honors. I also had atrocious study habits and a bad attitude. My study habits caused my grades to suffer my first year and a half of school. This complicated things once I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine, as my academic record doesn't make me very competitive and I will most likely have to complete a post-baccalaureate pre-med certificate program, costing more time and money. My bad attitude (combined with living off campus) kept me from forming many friendships my freshman year. I also took a semester off and started in the spring, forcing me to take summer classes just so I could graduate on time. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to be more ambitious. Get better grades, start school on time, and go out and join clubs and make friends as a freshman. These things enrich the college experience and make all the hardwork so much more worthwhile.

Kellie

I would tell give myself more encouragement. When I originally went to college back in 1987, I did so with a horrible attitude. My parents had filed BK, they couldn't help me. financially My dad was laid off and my mom made $30,000 per year , I couldn't get financial aid. It was all on me. I worked full time while going to school full time. That didn't work out well so I ended up one semester, one class. So after 4 years of struggling, I finally gave up. I would have told that high school girl to not give up, ever. Education is so important in life. I would tell her to find a way or just to keep going even if it took 12 years. I would also have told my high school self to have better organization skills. This is so key to secondary education. I started back in 2010. The classes are exceptionally fast paced in nursing and pre-nursing. My Anatomy/Physiology classes alone I spent over 70+ hours a week in class and studying. My 4.0 GPA and acceptance into two different schools nursing programs reflects those oganizational skills.

Always put education first. Concentrate solely on your classes and homework. Study hard and review your notes at least once a day and always be prepared for class. Don't stay up late. Getting enough sleep every night is extremely important as well. If you are running on less than three hours of sleep, it is more than likely that you're not paying attention in class and dozing off instead. Do not overthink things and try to be as stress free as possible. This is going to be the best four years of your life. You're going to meet new people, gain new friendships, and be introduced to a variety of cultures from around the world. Enjoy it!

Looking back to my high school self, going into college, I would tell myself to take advantage of every activity and opportunity given to me at Stetson. Because it is such a small school, the possibilities are endless. I would tell myself to be as outgoing as possible and network as much as I can. Networking can help you with your future in many different aspects. I would also tell myself to stay positive and always remember that in the end, it'll always be okay. Because no matter how difficult some life situations may seem, they can always be worse. I would tell myself to be extremely grateful for the abundance of opportunities handed to me, and the numerous of close friends that are always there for me. Lastly, and probably the single most important advice I would give myself, would be to work hard at everything I do. Talent alone means nothing. Talent can't grow unless you practice, never give up, and work your very hardest in every possible aspect. In order to reach my goals, hard work from the very beginning is extremely detrimental.

Brittaney

I would start off by telling myself that hard work will get me everywhere I need to be in life. College has taught me that perserverence and willingness to get things accomplished is the key to success. I was very focused in high school, but I never had to be as dedicated to my work as I am now. Stetson University has allowed me to develop a sense of responsilibity and work ethic that I didn't have in high school. The best advice I could give myself is that all my good deeds and hard work are what count in college, and to continue on the path I have started trekking on.

Caridad

If I had the change to go back in time and tell my high school senior self, I would say to not be scared of the future. Don't hold back to the decision that can really make or break you.In high school, education was my top priority; and it still is. When I was accepted to Stetson University, I was escatic. Here in my front of my eyes was an oppertunity I couldn't pass up. But, I was scared about what my family would say, how much the tuition was and if I could even afford it with finanical aid's funding. Now, after a year being on Stetson's beautiful campus, I can say that I made the right choice. So, if I really went back to my high school days? I would tell myself: "Take the change to make a better you. It will pay off. Don't be afraid. If I have the support of my friends and family, I can do anything. You will do everything."

Alonnah

After experiencing two years in college I would have given myself the advice to get started early. I was in the International Baccalaureate program at my high school, but it would have been useful to lend more of my time to internships or Dual Enrollment classes at the local state college. By the time I had graduated high school I knew how to write a good essay and analyze a piece of text like it was no big deal, however, I witnessed several Dual Enrollment students walk across the stage at graduation with an associate degree. I want to attend graduate school to become a research biologist and if I had spent my high school years to get ahead I could be a college graduate with a bachelor's degree already pursuing a higher degree. I would have given myself the advice to not wile away my high school years, but put them toward bettering myself and achieving my long term goals.

Buhang

Make sure you stay in track of your academics and don't stress too much. Don't let anything distract you from school and be prepare to work hard.

Don't slack off on homework so much because it is never going to go away and the better grades you get, the more financial aid you qualify for and I definitely need that. Also, get more involved with school because everyone is involved on campus in college and it actually is fun and you meet lots of cool people.

Dee-Ann

If I could go back in time, and give myself some advice about college, the number one thing I would tell myself is to practice time management. There is always some new event going on, and it’s easy to begin procrastinating on important assignments, especially because as a college freshman you get excited about... everything. I might also mention the benefits of a planner because I have found that you cannot possibly fit all the assignments you get onto your hand like you did in high school. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to not over stress myself, because it’s an easy way to psyche yourself out of trying your best, and giving your all in whatever the situation. In my first semester in college I often found that when I calmed down, and looked for a solution to my problem, or decided to do my best, and just accept the outcome I got better results, and I came out of the situation looking smart, flexible, and creative. I soon after realized that there was no point in freaking out about what has been done when you still have a chance to change the outcome.

I would advise myself to take my time when choosing a school and to start searching for schools early on. It is important not to rush into any decision and choosing a college is a very important decision for every high school senior. It's vital not to rush into a school before visiting it or going to a school because of friends or other smaller factors that play into the decision. It is helpful to make a list of things that are important to me when looking for in a school. Also, after each visit to make pros and cons list of the school and compare it to the list I made of my "ideal" school. When making the decision of which college to go to its important not to feel rushed and ultimately to listen to my instincts because in the end only I know what my needs are and what is right for me. And lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy in this time because it will be one of the greatest moments of my life and I should try to capture each moment and experience each visit to its fullest potential.

Amelia

Take advantage of all of the resources on campus early on.