Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

I've thought of this topic quite a bit throughout my college transition and while starting my second semster of college, I've narrowed down what I would say to my high school self, if given the chance. I would tell myself, "It's not what you hoped it would be. There aren't lecture halls, there's small classrooms. You'll have to interact with people you don't know. And you'll barely see your best friend that you followed to school so you'll need to meet people to hang out with. But, "And I'd smile to dejected past self, "Everything gets better. You'll meet a group nerds like yourself, and whatever you do, don't side with James for Dungeons and Dragons because he's a selfish player." Then I'd add, "And make sure, you actually study for classes and participate because it's easer and a lot morefun than you will expect. You'll know the answers, you just need to say them. And don't foget to take Mathmatical Game Theory because you actually play games in that class!" Lastly I'd say"The most important advice is to have fun."

My advice to students and parents is to take charge of your college search. From day one, make the college search about you and your academia requirements. It can be easy to turn they keys of your college search over to your parents, but for this trip you need to be in the driver?s seat. Many times, my interest and my parents interest are some what different . You must rank the necessary characteristics in order of importance to you and see how well each college matches up. Although this decision is ultimately a personal one, it never hurts to ask for advice from parents, friends, and people who know you well and care about your future. My advise to parents would be to prepare your child for the jorney, assist them in making right choices but encourage them to do the work . Your job is to prepare, encourage and support them to stand alone. All of these opportunities for the students help them to develop and grow , in the process it comforts the parent in watching their child develop into a mature adult.

If I could go back in time and talk to my, high school self, I would. First, I would remind myself that I will not be staying in my own state for college, so spend less time joining every organization at school and remember to spend time with friends- who I will not see anymore. I would then get down to business. I would tell myself to begin studying French before jumping into it in college (because its much harder than expected). I should know that they are not kidding when they say that you should only join three clubs/organizations, because if I do more I will be overloaded and run down. I would also tell myself to make sure I bring motivation to eat healthy and continue to work out- because since I will have no sports here- like I did in high school- my motivation will decrease, and my schedule will be very busy- so I need to MAKE time to be healthy. If I could go back and have a conversation with my high school self, I think I would have been a little more prepared for the things that sneak up on you in college.

As a high school senior, I focused only on living in the moment, never the big picture. I focused on one test at a time, one homework assignment, one day, one period, and never acknowledged that soon my future would be starting with me as the only one to make it happen. If I could go back I would start applying for scholarships early, I would apply to as many colleges as possible, and tour campuses more often. Although I love Stetson University, I was blinded by my sheer love for the school, and chose not to look at the amount tuition would be for the year. As a result, I am forced to look at other options for the rest of my college life. If I would have started the process sooner I could have found more scholarships to help fund my college career, I would have seen more campuses to compare in my process of choosing a college, and ultimately, I could have found a more suitable route to take in creating an environment where I love my school, have a trying schedule to fit my education needs, and can afford the process.

Take the time to visit the schools you are most interested in. Whether you take a formal tour or simply walk around the campus on your own, it is very important to spend some time researching the places you could possibly be living for several years. I knew the moment I stepped on Stetson University's campus that I had found my home away from home. You want to make sure you go to a college that makes you feel comfortable and at ease, because this will enhance your learning and social experience of being a college student. The four years would spend at college are suppose to be the best four years of your life, so make sure you fully research your options to ensure no sudden, rash decisions that you may later regret. Take the time to explore and discover new and exciting places. Make college an experience you will never forget by doing the research. From somebody who has been in your place before, it is well worth the time and research spent. I have found the place that is just right for me and I couldn't be happier.

In high school, everyone always looked down upon community colleges, and I was one of them. I figured that right after high school I'd be off to a big four-year university having the typical college experience. However, after my first semester as a student at a community college, I couldn't be any happier with my decision. Stepping onto a college campus as a student was like a big culture shock; it's completely different than high school. Academically it's a lot more challenging, so studying takes up so much more of my time. It's becuase of all that studying that I've learned to be more productive with my time, procrastinate a lot less, and learn better study habits. Not only have I been learning how to become a better student, but college has allowed me to grow as an individual. College truely is a time when a student discovers who they are and begins to turn into their own person, and I can be a witness to that. I'm so thankful for everything I've experienced in college, and I know my journey has only just begun.

As an advanceplacement student in high school, I took more than eight advanceplacement courses. I assumed that the transition from Highschool to College would be relativly easy, and so I didn't apply my self as much as I should have my first semester. I thought that beacause of the courses that I had taken I would have an advantage over the other students. But, students that go to college aren't laid back or lazy, when in high school they where just as determined as i was if not more. By the time that reality actually sunk in it was to late for me to save my self that first semester, and I ended up with the worst most schocking grades of my entire life . So if I could go back in time and give my self some advice, I would warn myself not to get caught up in the excitment of being a freashmen in college, and remember why i decided to come to college in the first place. College has been my goal for a long time, in high school I decided that I wanted to be a neonatologist and that notthing would stop me from suceeding.

Graduation is around the corner Ambreshia. You have passed all of your finals and made all of the right choices, but I fear there are some things about college that you don't know. 1.) College is a lot different from high school. For starters, you will be expected to attend all of your classes with few absences. Your mother will not be around to wake you up. You will also have a lot more free time. Use it sparingly. Teachers do not care about your excuses; either you did the work or you didn't. 2.) Living on campus is a lot different from living at home. There are no parents there are no parents to tell you right from wrong. Do you remember the time when you wanted to go to that party and your mom made you stay home to study because you had finals the following Monday? Do you remember passing with flying colors? You have to be that person who says “I will stay home tonight and study.” College is exciting and fun, but the most important thing to remember is why you are here and to accomplish goals you have set.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships. I really wish I could have told myself, to take it seriously right from the start. I would have told myself to become more involved in organizations on campus and party less. Thankfully, junior year, I finally got the job I wanted in the finance department and excelled as a D1 NCAA rower; but I am overloading my plate in order to increase my campus footprint, which is working, but would have been easier if started two years ago. When I started college I was all about business and taking hard classes to prove myself smart and able. Although I did well I wish I would have known that it really is better to take American History 101 instead of History of Eastern Europe, which in any case has come in handy with the current crisis in Syria we are following. Luckily again, I did take an art law class as my junior seminar and it has incited a world of interdisciplinary interest in me I cannot wait to pursue in grad school.

Throughout high school I never knew where I wanted to go to college. I grew up in a small town where just graduating high school was a big accomplishment. However what I did know was that I wanted to find my own path in life. Don't settle for less when it comes to your education. Try things bigger than you thought you were capable of. I applied to many colleges and even though my SAT scores were not perfect I still made my application reflect who I was inside. Colleges really don't just view you as a test score. So get involved, show what your true interest are and apply for that Ivy League school even if you think your scores don't make the cut. If you are truly a great fit then they will select you regardless of your scores as long as your grades show that you have to foundation to do something with what you've learned. I got waitlisted at my dream school even though all my teachers and even my guidance counselor told me I didn't have a chance. I still gave it a shot, and it made all the difference.