Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

If you easily breezed though high school don't expect to breeze through college. Lots of study time is required to do well and have a successful collge experience. This doesn't mean study 24/7, do give yourself time for breaks and time to hang out with and to meet new friends. Organization is a key factor to help stay on track with assignments and class schedule. Procrastination is not your friend, be sure to get ahead on assignments whenever possible. Don't be afaird to ask for help, the professors are there for you,m they want you to succeed. Homesickness will pass ad before you know it you will be deeply involved with life at campus. Don;t hold feelings inside if you are unhappy, find someone to talk to. Even if you fail it's not the end of the world. There will always be someone who is smarter then you, so don't feel bad if you are not getting the best grades possible. College is not as scary as it may seem, be sure to get envolved and enjoy it while your there.

The first piece of advice I'd give myself is to plan ahead for mistakes and accidents to happen. I'd tell myself to make sure I finish all of my school work ahead of time and save the money from my paychecks. Being granted total independence can make one feel invinsible, but when an obstacle is put in the way, having the extra time and money makes a big difference. The other piece of advice I'd give myself is to get into a healthy routine as fast as possible. As a college student who is probably working a part time job, being healthy and well rested is astronomically important. Establishing a routine can also help keep someone out of trouble and eliminate procrastination. College is the time to put the knowledge of the real world that parent's instill in their children to the test as well as learn new things. Learning new things can be a great thing, but keeping a level head and making better choices with your life is the best and easiet way to get through college.

Research is an important part of the process. Don'y just take a tour of the campus, take the time to shadow someone in the field you are interested in to get the full picture. Make sure that you are financially able to cover the costs of attending the school. This is extremely important for both small and big schools. Apply to a lot of different schools and dont get burnt out in the process. if you do, you may end up in a place that you aren't happy with. although there is no way to know which choice will be the most beneficial until you get there, researching your options will definitely help. I definitely believe that researching your options and all of the pro's and con's is the most important part of the college process. research will allow you to have a wonderful college experience. it will allow you to see all of the aspects of your potential college life. if you are happy in your decision, you will have a positive and wonderful experience.

I can imagine seeing myself sitting behind the librarian’s desk at my high school as a senior, I see myself sitting there and reading, helping the librarians, taking phone calls, and helping other students. I see my sixteen year old self being socially awkward, instead of eating lunch in the cafeteria, I ate lunch in the library, instead of making new friends, I made friends with the library staff. My senior year revolved around the library, I was always in it working rather than socializing. If I could go back in time to talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more social. In high school, I only talked to a few people, I would avoid social situations, and sit alone and study If I could go back, I would tell myself that I didn’t always have to study, I could make new friends and experience new things. If I would have talked to more people in my senior year, I would be more social in my freshman year in college.

Choosing where you want to go to college is an extremely personal , and frequently stressful , decision that teens and their families have to make. In order to ease the tension of picking a college one would determine what you might like to study or major in at college first, giving you some idea of a career. One could develop a list of criteria you want to use to evaluate and weed out colleges. For instance, distance from home, financial aid assistance , or class sizes. This would help to lessen your options. Another thing would be to visit the college first. The brochures might show you one thing but when you actually visit you could be expose to a whole new world. Th greatest outcome of the college experience is finding yourself in the proceess. With new responsibilities and a lot of time it is eeasy to discover something different in yourself. When you do, you embrace that innner person and apply it to the rest of your life.

Some advice for college would be to study. In high school i never needed to study for anything, and now I have to study all the time. My freshman year I was not ready for that, and i tended to goof off. This year I know I need to study, so I study everyday. Get use to it, to do well at this school you need to study all the time. Also if you need help, go to the teachers. They will do anything to help you bring your grade up. They want to see you succeed as much as you want to succeed. My freshman year I was afraid of going to the teachers and asking for help. This year I went to two different teachers for advice on how to get my grades up, and they set me up with a great tutor and they also helped me out themselves. Some even offered a different type of test for me to take because I have trouble with multiple choice. To sum it up, don't be afraid to go to the teachers for help, remember to study, and just relax and have fun!

As a freshmen in college, I have developed the ability to think critically and analytically, which was a radical change coming from high school. Through extensive research, I have learnt about issues occurring globally and in my community, which have inspired me to have an educated opinion and a need to make a change to make the world better. I have learnt to have civil conversations with teachers and other students, who have different perspectives on issues than mine, which have enriched my opinions and polished them thoroughly. I have come to understand the real value of education, which is power not only on the world outside but on my own life, to make informed decisions that have a personal and social meaning. College has instilled in me the incentive to become a better individual and to live a purposeful life. Overall, college has been a very positive experience with lots of potentials for the coming years.

I was in high school thirty years ago. I would caution myself to be more invested in myself. I would explain that the more I learned only could benefit me in the end. I always had that deep drive to acheive what people said I couldn't but maybe I could use that drive in my studies. I would tell myself to learn about Scholarships and Grants. I never had the financial support of my parents and couldn't figure out how to pay for college. That's why I put it off. If I knew about avenues for helping pay for college, I might have gone back sooner. I would explain that life and love could wait but that education will last you forever. I would help myself to see that I was worth the better things in life that can be achieved with an education. I spent to much time trying to be an adult and not enough time just enjoying being in the moment. These are some of the things I tried to impart to my sons.

College is the path through which your dreams are headed. Take the time and effort to apply everywhere your heart desires. Visit and talk to current students on the campus to learn more about what life is really like on the campus. Parents; please accept whatever decision your student makes about where to go and what major to pick. There is nothing in the world more inspirational then your acceptance. Students; apply early, and apply everywhere. College is more then just an educational experience; it is where you learn to "be a person", as my college band director always says. Soak up the independence, and take responsibility for the new liberties you have been granted. The more seriously you take college now, the easier your life and career will be later. College is untouched, freighting, and educational frontier. Enter with caution and confidence. Pick your path and enjoy the ride!

In search of the right college, one must be open minded and curious. Brouchures and statistics such as US News Ranking systems have their place yet nothing can subsititute touring the campus and actually observing what life is like at that school. When you find the school that has a certain comfort level, find out more about it. College is going to be a second home for students, and they need to make sure they can be comfortable at the college. Once one finds the right college for themselves they should not let other people greatly influence their decision, the student is the one going to the college, not the parents, friends or neighbors. Once at college, the key to happiness at school is involvement. Living on campus, joining clubs and organizations, or just trying to meet people and spending time with them are all great ways to integrate oneself into the college life.