Stetson University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Stetson University

A

Stetson is such an awesome place to learn and grow! I've met so many great people while challenging myself to step outside of my comfort zone and try new things. There is a nice balance between social life and academics. The classes are rigorous and rewarding. They are taught by great faculty who are always willing to help. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Alyssa

Stetson is an amazing school. I love the class sizes and how friendly all the people on campus are. I have made friends that will last forever. All the professors are readily available and always willing to help students when needed. I always recommend Stetson to my younger friends looking for where to go.

Sophia

Stetson University is a wonderful place to go to school. Faculty and staff are very dedicated to giving you the tools and knowledge you need to: 1) Pass your classes and 2) Flourish in your career/life after Stetson. Students are very friendly and encouraging when it comes to getting involved on campus. Also, downtown Deland and the beaches aren't too far away when you need a study break. Overall, I love Stetson and the Stetson community, and would encourage anyone to come and fall in love as well!

Alexis

Stetson University is a unique private school that invests all of their time and money into their students. They listen to the requests and try their best to accommodate them. I love Stetson and the level of involvement the students are in and how much they encourage you to be involved. Stetson also tries really hard to help you to get the grades you deserve and provide all kinds of resources for you to utilize. They really care and they do a great job of showing it. I love Stetson.

Jerry

Stetson is a great school centered around leadership and growth. The school offers an array of opportunities and amenities that are unique to the Stetson experience. Behind all of the benefits at Stetson there are a few areas that provide room for growth. First the cost of attendance is getting out of hand as it progressively hikes. Second and probably the biggest issue at Stetson is the department of Housing and Residential Life. This department is run by a bunch of under qualified fools who are barely able to perform their duties. The department manages to screw up nearly every situation at hand and offers at least one awful customized housing experience to each Stetson student during their time attending the university. One of the most unprofessional and foolish staff members is Barbara Hawkins who fails at most aspects of her job. After having to constantly battle with her from both a students view and a parents view you begin to give up as it seems you are communicating with an unknowledgeable troll who fails to understand her own job description. If you have to communicate with Barbara at any point immediately seek out another person in the office as you are wasting your time with this unprofessional scatter minded moron.

Shan

Stetson is a great private school with various types of students and professors. There are countless activities to participate in and plenty of groups to join. Although, the city does not offer many shopping and entertainment options, Stetson is still a wonderful place.

Nathan

My university is overall a good choice. It, like everything in life, has areas where it can improve and areas where it is good for now. The areas that need the most improvements are without a doubt on-campus housing and there are plenty of plans to deal with that issue, however the funds simply are not there at the moment. The area that is the great at the current moment is without a doubt the academics, and this area simply keeps improving in my opinion.

Brock

In a nutshell, Stetson is the biggest small private liberal arts school found in the south. If you want to feel like you actually matter in a close knit and kind community, this is totally the place for you. All over the country, colleges boast their mascots as the bulldogs, eagles, tigers, etc. But you won't ever find another campus with the Hatters. Be significant here among all the other colleges and become something more, become a Hatter.

I think that Stetson is a good school if you’re lookig for a small campus where you see a lot of people you know and your professors know your name. If you are not a person who wants to see people you know basically wherever you go, this may not be the school for you. I believe it is a great atmosphere; however, because students get individual attention which is something I was looking for in a university.

Jaymi

It might be a bit over rated.... Super expensive and it is a tough curriculum. It is quite stressful. Good people. The good thing is that they offer a BMOF degree which I might choose to pursue instead. However, I might drop Stetson because of the expense.

Larry

I love stetson University!! It's a good size..not too big and not too small. The classes are great for conversation and discussion. I really found a jewel in Florida! The people are great too. People are extremely nice and are friendly. And the faculty and other people who work there are very accommodating!

Robert

It is a beautiful campus filled with great and diverse people. The departments are well funded and advanced. The professors are always willing to give 1-1 time with their students because of the small class sizes. The feeling i get every time i am on campus is that this is my home and i am so proud to be a Hatter!

Jeremy

Great education and awesome professors, however, the administration at Stetson seems to be very money oriented. The tuition is already high since it is a private school, but in the past few years it has increase consecutively by a couple thousand dollars which has made it really un affordable.

Maeve

Stetson is a really great school with small class sizes, a diverse campus, and a lot of opportunities.

Amy

It is a great school with many opportunities, especially within the classroom. The smaller class sizes allow for more individual attention and instruction from professors. Our community is located in a small historic town with much charm. Aside from our downtown area, Stetson is its own inclusive community which has great academics, caring professors and classmates and opportunities to be involved in campus activities where you know everyone.

Olivia

I fell in love with the school the second I drove onto campus. It's beautiful and the history is vast. The faculty is very accommodating and kind, as are the other students. The town of Deland is also quaint and beautiful. 10/10 recommend Stetson to all. However, if you're one for big schools and large classes, Stetson is probably not exactly where you want to be.

Yanisha

Since I am a future Hatter I can't help but say good things about Stetson. It's campus is beautiful, students and faculty are super friendly, and it's small campus makes getting to classes easy. I love the campus and can't wait to my fall semester! Their annual Stetson Hatter day is amazing! I had so much fin. The tours of the dorms were really cool and its just an overall good feeling when walking on campus

Aolani

Stetson University is a great school. The teachers and faculty are people who are willing to help no matter what the situation. The students are very friendly and open people. The school is a very safe environment that most people are very comfortable to be in.

Sinai

Stetson has an amazing atmosphere and Hatters embrace and embody the idea that having a strong community benefits students. And i wholly agree with this perception, I feel like Stetson is my home away from home. Hatters apply this mentality outside campus to the DeLand community, offering many community service opportunities, whether it be through internships or clubs. The campus, while big, offers many facilities to the point that I feel that Stetson University is its own city. And if I ever want to go out, I'm only 45 minutes away from Orlando, theme parks, and god awful traffic. Stetson is an amazing school and I'm proud enough to the point that I brag about being able to attend such an open campus!

Stetson University is my home away from home. The campus offers a feeling of community and safety, and the professors and staff are professional and friendly. I have yet to have a bad experience on campus or in class. All of my fellow peers show up to class willing to learn and participate with little distraction. I feel as though professors grade fairly and are truly passionate about their disciplines and students' education. I am thankful for the opportunities and support I am presented with at Stetson University.

Cydney

I had such an amazing experience in my four years at Stetson University. I originally began at Stetson with the intent to major in Political Science on the tract to become an attorney. After not doing so well, I spoke with my academic advisor at the time and he suggested that I change my plans and declare Psychology as my major. I am so glad that I listened to him because my time in the psychology department was well spent due to highly engaging professors. Stetson is a really small and quaint campus where everyone knew everyone. There was such a family atmosphere on campus (from the cafeteria workers all the way to the president) and it made your time away from home pleasant. Stetson offers a wide array of clubs and organizations for students to join, whether you wanted to participate in SGA, join a Greek Organization, join a foreign language club, or even a dance club. Stetson challenges students to think outside of the norm and step outside of their comfort zone, which is in part due to it being a liberal arts college. No matter what night of the week or what organization was hosting, students were able to engage in meaningful dialogue and discussions related to many present-day topics. Stetson’s signature tagline is for student’s to “Dare to be Significant” and I believe it gives you plenty of opportunities to do just that.

Raymond

Stetson is a great school allowing possibilities of growth as an individual and as a community. In Stetson university there is a close bond between student and professor like no other. The school has allowed for my personal growth to expand and fruition in a beautiful way. I am happy I made the choice for Stetson.

Ja'Quez

Stetson University is an amazing school. It is full of opportunities. I love because its like a home away from home. The environment that surround it is amazing as well. There are so many places downtown to relax, study, and just have a good time with friends. Everything about this school is great except the food needs a little work. But professors will help you out as much as possible so you won’t fall behind.

Stetson is a great school. It offers small class sizes and close relationships with professors. All class rooms are available to study in (as long as no class in currently using it) and many rooms are available to reserve for study groups around campus, which is very nice durning finals week. Greek life is very important on campus. Lots of free stuff all around campus, but a lot of expensive things too. Campus throws free events often to give students extra things to do. Some of campus' buildings could use renovation.

The professors genuinely care for the students and want them to succeed. A all-around good vibe around campus. Plenty of different organizations and clubs to join. The inclusiveness is amazing; no matter what your background, there will be something for you.

Delaney

It's a pretty nice school. The academics are it's highlight and the clubs and other organizations are good, too. There is definitely a greek or geek vibe, but many friend groups blend together. Off campus housing is usually pretty nice and close. Most campus housing isn't worth the money, and if you can avoid campus food, do.

Matthew

Stetson University is a great school for those looking for a smaller environment with a very close knit body of students. At Stetson they have systems to help you broaden your options and knowledge of what you wanna do in life, grow in individuality, and create lasting friendships. The main campus where I got to school is easy to navigate and has all the necessities you would need to live there. However, it truly is the basic necessities, Stetson is still a growing school meaning there are still many things that could be improved upon such as housing, and space requirements for there expanding population of students. You will find that some of the more simple tasks such as paving broken cement in a parking lot can take months to be addressed which makes you wonder where all that 62,000 in tuition goes. Which brings me to my final point. Stetson is a costly school, and sometimes it dosen't feel like you see the return of that cost so if you aren't awarded some sort of scholarship I wouldn't be hasty to choose Stetson . In all however the faculty and staff care deeply about there students and in my opinion they have some of the most qualified professors in the state of Florida, the education you received is one of the few things truly worth the money. So with all these factors I hope the people that read this make the choice that best suites them, even with some of the negative things in this comment I could not see myself at any other university.

Stetson University was my first college choice. The class sizes are perfect for individualized learning. As well as, the professors are there for your specific needs. The school is very homey and always safe. I love Stetson University because their number one priority is your education and how to help you succeed.

Sami

I really love Stetson! The biggest issue is the dining hall-- if you have allergies, I'd fight tooth and nail to NOT have a meal plan. The accommodations for people with Allergies is awful. They won't even post the ingredients in front of the food, and several people have had severe allergic reactions.

Mackenzie

I really like Stetson University. All of the students and faculty are extremely nice and helpful, which is a comfort. The small class size also makes for a better learning environment as each professor knows your name and it allows for more class discussions. It is a great place to get an education!

Ainslie

I love the "small school" feel, yet you still reap the benefits of a larger school. There's always plenty to do and you know everyone. Not to mention your professors actually know your name. Although we aren't super athletically inclined, going to sporting events is something everyone enjoys doing and there is so much pride!

Jorge

Stetson is a rigorous university. Students here are expected to grow and stretch their comfort zones. The professors here are top notch and have great expertise in their fields. The class sizes are small, allowing for much greater interaction with professors.

Bria

I credit this school with giving me the passion to pursue student affairs, I was never bored on campus, it was a great, small community if you are into that, the outside community was supportive , only thing that was not so good was the price tag it came with, other than that, best experience yet.

Gabriel

I believe that Stetson is a rigorous and challenging school. The classes are harder than your typical college, but the teachers will help you and tutors are available if you should need them. The campus is beautiful and many of the students who attend are friendly. Overall I believe Stetson University will make you learn to apply yourself and prepare you for whatever career you choose.

Madison

Stetson is a great university, its small size creates a community on and off campus and it's hard to walk around the university without seeing someone you know. With that being said, though, it is not too small where everyone knows everyone. The class sizes are perfect, with no more than 30 people max in any classroom and professors really care about their student's success. There are plenty of on and off campus activities to participate in such as greek life, a multitude of clubs, service events, and academic societies.

Morgan

Overall, Stetson University is a good college to attend. There is nice weather, a small class size, and professors that will meet with you outside of class. On the negative side, there isn't a huge football game culture like at the bigger state schools.

Natascha

Stetson is a small, private, and beautiful liberal arts university. Located in the small town of DeLand, Florida, this school instantly makes you feel apart of the community. The academics at Stetson are fantastic. The professors are always available for the students and the staff work with you to make your time at college some of the best years of your life. I am so glad I decided to transfer to Stetson! Got Hatters!!

I love Stetson's atmosphere, classes and the staff here. They are all so helpful and really want to see you succeed. They are always available and have so many helpful tips and resources for you to succeed and further your career. The academics at this school are wonderful and very challenging. The school itself is very charming. However the housing always seems to be confusing and lacking. I've heard many many complaints along with my own troubles dealing with residential life. The school also has a 3 year residency policy which is unmanageable and unrealistic for them due to their growing size. Living on campus can be great, but only certain areas. The food is also lacking.

Gabrielle

From the beginning this was my dream school. That being said, I understand it is not a school for everyone. The class sizes are extremely small, my largest class this semester had approximately 40 people in it. Furthermore, you will always see a familiar face on campus, whether you've had an actual conversation with that person or not. Also, the campus is relatively small, I can walk from my dorm room to class and be sitting down in five minutes or less. On that note, The academics are amazing and I feel that I have grown not only as a student but also as a person. This campus really stresses academics in a writing intensive way and it challenges its students to be the best versions of themselves. The professors really strive to foster a relationship with you and if you ever have any questions they are always available by email, the longest it took for a professor to respond to one of my emails this semester was maybe three hours, or you can just swing by their office and they are sure to be there. Also, the "Greek Scene" is alive and well on campus. Many people are in Greek organizations but it is very inclusive of everyone. Greek organizations often cater to nonaffiliated students as they try to get the whole community involved by hosting taco nights, pancake nights, movie nights and much more. That being said, there are some downfalls of Stetson University. To begin, the financial aid office houses employees that are generally very rude and inconsiderate. When you have a question regarding your financials it generally takes at least three people to figure out what the problem is or how to help you. Additionally, the college is extremely expensive in general and each year they raise the price by at least 3 percent. Furthermore, the university is doing a lot of renovation projects in the upcoming years and they are currently in the process of moving all of the offices around. While there are cons to attending Stetson Overall, if asked if I would choose to apply and attend Stetson University again my answer would be "Oh, Heck YES!!"

madison

One of the best things about this school is the fact that it's a beautiful campus only a few minutes walk from downtown Deland. There is a close knit community and everybody knows everybody including the upperclassman, teachers, and those like the lunch ladies, and security guards.

Zachary

The campus is beautiful, Its is in a small quiet town.

Octavio

Great university

Rebecca

It is a very social group of people collected together to become an enthusiastic and kind community. Within a week of being in stetson a I had made tons of friends. Those sort of relationships supported me in becoming a good student academically, physically, and mentally.

Stephen

Stetson University is an amazing school. Ultimately, my decision came down between Stetson and two other school and I know I made the right choice. All of my professors come from top ranked schools and teach on a level that is understandable, interactive, and easy to partake in. There is however, a dedication to the subject outside of the classroom that potential students must be aware of. The work load is tough but manageable if you are good at budgeting your time wisely. Overall, I would definitely recommend Stetson University to anyone who wants a great environment, great professors, and an overall academic challenge!

Classic Auto Detail

I am concerned that the Stetson is currently the ONLY, repeat the ONLY school in the country that has a designated, separated and accredited School of Music but which does not have a modern, legitimate Concert Hall large enough to accommodate a full chorus with full orchestra performance with enough seating for all prospective concert goers. The Opera program performs in a small "black box" teaching theater off campus or must find space at another school. Often times local churches are used all of which have sub-par acoustics and no special lighting. I am shocked that Stover Theater has not been replaced and recently viewed an orchestra/chorus concert which took place in Elizabeth Hall Chapel and the stage was so overstuffed with people, risers and temporary staging that it looked unsafe! Stetson has gotten so used to performing in their beloved Elizabeth Hall chapel, complete with it's echo chamber acoustics, road noise from the outside and wooden bench pews, that I'm afraid have become either unaware or in denial about how inadequate that facility has become, especially when considering the growth the school as achieved in the last 20 years. If there is a future plan to provide a proper performance space at the school I am unaware of it.

Brandon

I think the school is amazing with many academic opportunities all around. It is a culturally diverse school with many people from different backgrounds and stories to share. The faculty is great and my time there was enjoyable. However, I wish the school was bigger as it can be weird to see familiar faces at times. The size of the school is really small, and Deland does tend to have parts of conflict around the city that I am not too fond of. Overall, it is a pretty good college and would recommend it to anyone.

Logan

I like the school. It just doesn't have a major for me.

Andrew

They Don't Call It Dead-Land for Nothing. This town is quaint and small, but unfortunately this means that you need to leave it if you want to find something fun to do. If you're a nature buff, you can go Blue Springs Park or Deleon Springs. Also, the beach isn't too far away. If you're looking to party though, look to Orlando or Daytona

Lorraine

Stetson is a very nice university overall. It feels very intimate because the class sizes are small and the student body isn't very large. There is a lot to do on campus via clubs or you can go downtown since that is a short distance away. I have had a great experience overall.

Myrian

This is such a lovely school! I have never once met a mean person here, and the students and faculty are all very welcoming. Professors are ready to help you with whatever you need, and the school is full of staff that are eager to give you the tools you will need to succeed.