Stevens Institute of Technology Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Molara

As with any tech school, people mainly think that everyone who goes here is a complete nerd. This is FALSE. There are lots of different types of people at Stevens. Sure, there may be people who like going to LAN parties or taking part in the Anime Convention (which apparently is the biggest Anime Convention on the East Coast) and play Magic the Gathering till the wee hours of the morning, BUT, that is NOT everyone. There's people who play sports, people who like to party, people super involved on campus, people stuck in their rooms all day....and the list goes on. The thick of it is that we're an assortment of students. But at the same time, I guess to go to a tech school, you have to be a little bit of nerd at heart. I like to program, my good friend loves math....it's hidden in all of us somewhere. So we are NOT complete nerds....only partial nerds :)

The biggest stereotype of our school is nerds; however this only depicts a small portion of students. 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body is involved with Greek life which includes some nerds, stoners, and most of the athletes. Our school has a big emphasis on our athletic program despite it being Division III.

Stan

The college I attend, Stevens Institute of Technology, is roughly 75-80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} Engineering majors on the undergraduate level. Students here as well as alumni and even industry can attest to the rigor and difficulty of nearly every school a student has to take. Due to the high levels of stress from spending eight hours with ten other colleagues solving two homework problems, it is very common for others to perceive Stevens as a "nerdy" and "geeky" school. The college is roughly 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} males and it is not uncommon to hear females saying, "The Odds Are Good, but the Goods Are Odd." There is also a stereotype that due to the fascination with technology and innovation, students will spends hours and sometimes even days working on computer software applications or playing World of Warcraft. As a senior, I can attest that the latter stereotype is certainly false. In fact, located in the "young" and "hip" town of Hoboken, New Jersey, many students here enjoy a fun and exciting nightlife. For the former, Stevens does an excellent job of teaching students practical skills and there is an understandable reason why the level of the material is so difficult - that is because Stevens wants its students to be at the front of innovation and to enter industry knowing how to approach intricate problems, work together with others, and create solutions to help improve the qualify of life for others. Having personally been involved in a technology start-up company in my junior-senior year, I was able to see just how useful the skills that I developed at Stevens are; I worked together with my colleagues, professors, and industry leaders to jointly nurture technology from what once was a vague Ph.D. concept into a commercialized product in the marketplace.