Stevenson, MD
Stevenson University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stevenson University

Brooke

My school is the perfect size now, but slowly growing.

My school is the perfect size now, but slowly growing.

My classmates are eager to socialize and learn.

You need to work harder in high school in order to get more scholarship opportunities in high school. SAT scores matter a lot more than you think, so retake the test. Start to apply for colleges the summer before senior year and research different majors to know which one you would like. Pick a cheaper school!

Shannon

If I could tell my seventeen year old self anything about college I would tell me to apply to the schools that I now wish I had. When I was receiving all the solicitations from local colleges I tossed out the ones from the college right here in town deeming it “too close” and the ones from a college a friend applied to because it seemed “ghetto”. I know lots of people that are gratefully attending the colleges in town and my friend at the “ghetto” sounding college LOVES it. That school in fact was written up in a list of best colleges in my state. I am attending the school that gave me the best financial aid package, but since I didn’t apply to those schools I don’t know what they might have offered. I applied to the local college this year and was offered a decent package, but it was likely not as much as I would have been offered as a freshman and I am not automatically eligible for their honors program as a sophomore. Like my mom always says, “People regret what they don’t do more than the things they do in life.”

I wish that I had looked at the available clubs and the lack of Greek life on the campus. Don't get me wrong. The school gives out amazing financial aide packages and they have lots of activities on campus, but my friends at other schools are joining sororities and meeting people they will be friends with for the rest of their lives.

Stevenson University, formerly known as Villa Julie requires Freshman to sign up for the largest meal plan whether they want to or not. Basically if you make friends and start socializing off campus it is money out the window that you or your parents might have spent on the pizza, wings or sushi that you are actually eating.

Teresa

Villa Julie is a professional, accepting college that strives to help each student reach their maximum potential not only academically but socially and emotionally as well.

I was not an outgoing student but was felt accepted by my friendly classmates at Villa Julie.

Take your college career seriously but have fun also. Interact with the other students and form strong bonds with them. These could be lifelong friends and collegues. Treat college as the beginning of the rest of your life. Get to class on time and always do your best. Also, be involved in the activities and clubs that are offered. These students will share a common interest with you and could also become good friends. Enjoy this time in your life before you have to settle down and have a full time job. Make the most of each day and of each class. There is always somethign to be learned from each class, from each teacher and from each student.

Lynsey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain the importance of education. At that time I was more worried about pleasing everyone around me by succeeding rather than succeeding because I wanted to. Education is very important to me now, but if I had this mentality in high school, then I could have made more self- oriented goals.

I brag about the science department the most. Theis department recieves a lot of funding and is very advanced, which helps with many research projects.

Financial aid is always on the minds of the students. Stevenson University is expensive and tuition is still increasing. And honestly, I don't have enough finacial aid to continue here.

Jason

My overall opinion of Stevenson University is a good one. As a transfer student the first day of class I felt like I was being challenged, and my instructors actually knew what they were teaching. Nine times out of ten my instructors held doctorates in their field, and the ones who didn't were just as knowledgeable. With very small classes (my Spanish class Junior year had seven people or so) the one on one time you can have with an instructor is virtually limitless. The Greenspring campus is beautiful and its design is very open; a park comes to mind when walking through the campus. The Owings Mills campus is new and fresh, and the Business school is positively luxurious with polished wood and that new Library smell. Computer labs (both Mac and PC) can service your electronic needs, a wonderful Library at the Greenspring campus, and a general feeling of academia await those who seek education at Stevenson University.

As a commuter I cannot speak on dorm life and campus life, but there's something for everyone at Stevenson. Stevenson University is a "dry" campus and there aren't too many places to drink around Owings Mills, so you usually have to make your own fun. No matter, you can see people lounging about and diggin' the scene on the Owings Mills campus at the dorms. Basketball, volleyball, water gun fights...the only limit is your imagination.

The saying that people are the same everywhere rings true for Stevenson. People from all walks of life attend Stevenson University, and from my experiences the general atmosphere is one of good vibes. No one cares how you live your life, as long as you're happy (and not hurting any one). The only student that would feel out of place at Stevenson University is one who wasn't there to learn or try to make friends. As a transfer student and commuter it was hard for me to make friends, but I met my girlfriend at Stevenson University. Students are incredibly passionate about their ideologies and hobbies, but never try to force them on another. Most students at Stevenson are from all parts of Maryland from Annapolis to Ocean City, Baltimore County down to P.G. County. Stevenson University is a fairly liberal school, and the students hold true to that.

The academics at Stevenson University are well...wonderful. Many teachers knew me by first name, only because I liked them so much I took their course the following year. My favorite class had to be Creative Writing Poetry with Katherine McCord. Writing is my thing, and in Poetry all we did was (wait for it) write poems and discuss them. The caliber of students you meet at Stevenson is astounding. If you're into Philosophy, Theater, Rhetoric or even basket weaving, there's someone at Stevenson you could talk to. Stevenson University's business model is based around "designing your career", and they supplement that with Career Services and courses that get you in the "professional" mind state. But, many instructors at Stevenson University cherish knowledge for the sake of knowledge and encourage students to learn as much as they can. Though one of the smallest departments, the English department at Stevenson University is comprised of some of the smartest people I've ever met. Dr. Tamer, Dr. Brown, Dr. Marshall and Dr. Van Aken are only a few of the instructors I've had contact with at Stevenson University, and all have left a lasting impression. How many instructors do you know had you read Fight Club and American Psycho?

The stereotype about Stevenson University students fall into three categories; jocks, rich kids, or art kids. Stevenson University has a robust sports program with an insanely good D3 Lacrosse team. Stevenson University also has a Film and Theatre program, which is a major attraction to kids who ride fixed-gear bicycles and wear scarves. Lastly, the tuition for Stevenson University is rather pricey, so many get the impression that if you go to Stevenson you come from a family of means. If Montgomery County, Annapolis and the 83 Corridor mean anything to you, then you know what I'm talking about. However, many students at Stevenson University are very relaxed and laid back and there aren't many "cliques" at the school. It's college after all. Hang out with who you want!

Kristin

To go directly to Stevenson (Villa Julie College). I went to a Community College first for four years, because I did not know what I wanted to study. When I transferred to Stevenson, I immediately felt at home.

Those who want to be known by a number, not their name, or those who do not want a close relationship with their professors.

Our variety of majors and our excellent faculty.

Natasha

I would tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity that comes to me; whether financially or an opportunity that could be life changing. Also, I would tell myself to try and find internships in the field that I am interested in before going into college so that I will already be exposed to my desired field. I would also tell myself to carry a planner so that I can keep all of my tasks neat and organized so that I do not miss a deadline. Also, I would tell myself to read the textbooks that the professors advise us to buy before the course starts so that I will have some background on what is going to be covered in class. I would also tell myself to not only stay in academic clubs, but to branch out and join social clubs as well. I would tell myself to make sure that I have a very good relationship with my advisor so that they can get to know you and they can tell you about certain opportunities that would benefit you based on the field of study you are going into.

The best thing about my school is that it is very diverse and the amount of students in each class is very small. Also, once a student chooses a major, there are required classes that the student needs to take in order to make them well aware of the fields that they are getting into. Also, my school is very career focused and the advisors helps students to find internships that will expose them to their desired careers.

A person that is very studious and driven should attend this school. A person that really values education and takes everything that they learn seriously.

Vendela

I've gained a lot of knowledge by attending college. Meeting new people and learning things that I know will help me in the future. I am going to school because of my passion for Graphic Design. Since the first day, I've learned many new tricks with Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Graphic designing helps me use my creativity and school helps me do more with it. In the future I hope to work for a large company and become a lead designer.

Chelsea

My classmates are great people and really fun to work with.

My classmates are great people and really fun to work with.

So far, considering I am only a college freshman, I have gotten so much out of my college experience. I have made new friends, taken new classes that are really fun and have been involved in many activities. It has been valuable to attend college because I am learning new things and having a great experience. College is meant to help achieve knowledge in order to be able to make it in the "real" world and it is a lot of fun.

People who don't like smaller classes, doing fun on-campus activities and people who don't like working with others should not attend my school.

Chanaye

My classmates are friendly, fun, outgoing, and polite.

My classmates are friendly, fun, outgoing, and polite.

The number of graduates that get a job in the business world.

I have learned alot of valuable information that i can use in the world and it is important to attend college because you further your education and you establish a future for yourself.

Stevenson University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.