Stevenson University

« See more reviews of Stevenson University

the best advice i have for new students is to find out what the school does in regards to activities and whether you find them fun or not. try to find a student with your intended major, that goes to the school, so you can go on a school visit with the student and sit in the classroom and experience the classroom so you can judge it for yourself. You can see first hand what you'll be in store for. do not just settle for the campus "visit" where you walk around with a guide. also find out what the general interest is within the school and find out if students like the school before investing time and money in the school. Check out the grading policy, some people may not agree with a plus minus grading system. My general opinion in finding the right school is search early, make sure the school fits your personality and satisfies all of your needs before you enroll.

If I could go back in time, I would work harder to create successful study habits for myself. Within this transition to college, studying has been my biggest obstacle. When classes first began and the first exam approached, I did not know how to study. In high school I took fairly easy classes that required little studying, however I realized college was very different. Now that my first semester of college is over, I understand how to study and have improved my study habits. Another peice of advice that I would give myself is that college is NOT one huge party. College is a time in my life where I can have fun every once in a while, however school is my number one focus especially since I am paying so much for it! Nursing is my passion and without full dedication and motivation, I will not make it. Staying positive and inspired is the key to success in college!

I would suggest first and formost to look at all the majors, and options for payment, living, dorms, food, and all other needs at the colleges that you have chosen to apply for. Next I would suggest going on tours of the schools and visiting during the summer or school year before you attend. After you have toured the schools you have chosen and looked at expenses you should apply for a FAFSA and other financial aid, grants, and scholarships. Then make a final list of your favorite and most affordable schools and fill out the necessary paperwork to apply also try checking the school's website to see if there are any other loans, grants, or scholarships that can be awarded to you by the school and possibly sign up for a payment plan if necessary. Try to go to as many open events at the school as possible so that you can get a feel for the schools setup.

Visit at least a half dozen schools. Absolutely shadow a current student. Sit in on classes that you will be taking throughout your college career. This is huge. If you are planning on living on campus, spend a weekend w/ a host student to get a feel of the social life. Visit the Career/Job Placement department and speak personally with them about the job search process and assistance they provide. Once in college, get to know people. Even if you're shy, just walk up to someone and introduce yourself and start asking questions. Everyone else is in the same boat as you. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. Asking questions is a great way to start and hold a conversation. Seriously, boldness works. This is coming from a "shy" kid who realized this his senior year of college and wishes he could go back to fresman year with this knowledge. :)

My time at Stevenson University (formerly known as Villa Julie College) molds me into a precise and well-rounded student. During my studies, I learn pertinent life and career skills needed to adapt and succeed in my field of study, which is Accounting. With my challenging major and general education courses, I obtain a higher level of analytical and critical thinking skills. Within each of my classes, I must maintain a high level of work ethic, while truly retaining the information through studying concepts learned in class and applying the same concepts outside the classroom. Through applying concepts in and out of the classroom, I embark on a journey to sharpen my critical thinking abilities and reach greater mental status. By achieving this complex mentality, I will mature into a stable and successful citizen that is a valuable to society.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that high school is important. Important enough to get you to a good college and enough scholarship money. I didn't do so well in high school and I regret those years so much. I wish I could go back and tell myself to study and not put anything off because now I am struggling to pay for college that accepted me but is so hard to pay for. If I would have stressed high school enough, I would have had more options even less expensive options. I didn't want to go to community college because I wanted to start a new life at a University that I can be proud to go to. All I can think of is how I am going to pay for it and that is honestly my motivation in keeping good grades. I am a freshman in college maintaining over a 3.5 GPA and hope to keep it that way.

Knowing what I know now I would tell my high school self to really think about what I wanted to do. Don't give up on yourself or your dream college just because of obstacles that can be avoided. Pay attention to the people you hang out with and the way you behave yourself because college is really a whole new level. People in high school are different from people in college. You need to be mentally prepared and emotionally prepared to be on your own and independent because thats how college is. Also make sure you have a calendar or a planner with you at all times. Professors change the date an assignment is due or when the next test is when they want to. Study for everything, even if you don't want to. College is not a place to mess up a lot. You need to get your head on straight and look forward to this experience.

I would advise that parents AND students visit several colleges before making a final decision, and base their choices on mutliple factors. Among them, location, tutition/scholarships offered, meal plans, sports teams/extra ciricular activites, and how the academic program is set-up, and especially if the major the student would want to pursue is available. Upon selecting the "right" college, being accepted and beginning the college career, a student should get him/herself involved with extra ciricular activities, avoid costly decisions (such as partying during weekdays), befriend fellow classmates, get to know roommates and hallmates, and use all of the resources the college has to offer, including libraries, fitness centers, teachers/staff/administration, tech labs and any other resource the school offers.

Go see whats out there! Schools you may have never thought of attending may be the school for you! Bigger is not always better! Don't let tuition costs influence your decision; everyone is struggling to pay for it too! Ask questions, chances are you're not the first who has wondered that! Don't ask what you can do for your college, ask what your college can do for you. Get involved in clubs and organizations! Not only does it look good on a resume, you'll have fun! If you have the chance, STUDY ABROAD! It is a life changing, eye-opening, amazing experience that you won't forget. Make friends! Get a life out of school! Keep in touch with old friends. Talk to your parents, they actually give good advice. Most importantly, be yourself. If people don't accept you, they aren't people you need to be associating with.

I would tell myself to go in with an open mind. Be open to all the possibilities surrounding you, especially your first year. Join many clubs because there are several that pertain to your interests. I would also tell myself that when you do join clubs and also have classes, learn some good time management skills. Divide your time up each and every day, choosing to do the most important things first, especially academia, otherwise your grades can suffer. I would also tell myself that be very respectful and nice to your roomates but do not let them walk over you either. Learn to communicate with them effectively and when you do have arguments, see the argument from their point of view. This well help solve many problems in the dorm. Just remember that you are here for four years and make the most of them.