Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Erica

Stony Brook University is composed of predominantly pre-med students. Stony Brook University is very strong in their departments of sciences/engineering, mathematics, and computer science. Nevertheless, their liberal arts departments are decent, yet, not as strong as the STEM departments. In addition, Stony Brook University has many commuter students which means that on weekends, many people go home and thus, the campus life on weekends seem "dull." The weekends will not be dull if you actively find things to do, hang out with your friends, or catch up on things you wanted to do and etc.

Matt

I have only been here for one year, but it has been the most profound experience of my life and I can't see it happening anywhere other than Stony Brook

Either the students are very academically orientated or they are very socially orientated.

Greek organizations and miscellaneous clubs and sports are popular

The academics at Stony Brook are rather demanding. However they are also reasonable, and are definitely manageable with the right application.

Alex

Stony Brook University is very science-oriented school which mainly focuses its courses around the science and medical field.

Many times while day dreaming, I sit and wonder if I could go back in time to my younger self, what would I tell myself? After much thought, I realize that there are only three things I would have to tell myself. The first is to make lifelong friends who I could rely on whenever I needed to. The second is to focus on school work because our future is important and grades are very important. The final thing I would tell my high school self is to cherish your family and the moments you have with them. Make every moment with them count. Knowing these things back then would have changed my life for the better. Although there is no “undo” button in life, I like to imagine what my life would have been like if given the opportunity. I believe my college life and post-graduate life would have been greatly changed

The most frustrating part about Stony Brook University is the opportunity to make friends after freshman year. After freshman year, most people have created their circle of friends and tend not to deviate away from that group, making it difficult to make friends.

Stony Brook University is best known for its pre-med program and many students will have the opportunity to intern at the hospital attached to the university. Many of my friends were in the nursing program and interned at the hospital. They all quickly found employment upon graduation due to the experience they earned at the hospital.

Stony Brook University has a wonderfully diverse population and numerous opportunities to get involved with the campus community. Coming from a very small town, diversity was important to me and something that I found lacking at other universities I considered. By going there I was introduced to a wide range of opinions and life experiences which helped to shape the person I would become.

You’re going to fail sometimes and that’s okay. With every step you take outside of comfort zone you’ll become a new and more confident person; the person you wanted to be in high school, but were too afraid of failure to become. You won’t always succeed. Sometimes you’ll gather your courage and speak up in class or try something new, only to have it end in failure. Eventually you’ll learn to file your mistakes away as lessons and utilize them as motivation. You’ll always be nervous about speaking in front of crowds, but take a breath and do it anyway, because your experiences and opinions make you a unique person who has a lot to offer if you only give yourself the chance. Your interests will shine through and your excitement will light up your entire being, captivating your audience as you realize you have the potential to inspire others. At presentations and performances your heart will pound, your throat will tighten, you’ll be dizzy with nerves, and you’ll love every second of it. Don’t allow your fear of looking foolish stop you from accomplishing your goals.

Media

Looking back at the situation of my life as a high school student and all the life changing events that surrounded it I could have benefited from finding a strong female role model. My high school self was a good student with no mother and an over worked father lacking the support of extended family. As a now strong women in the nursing workforce I would have told my highschool self how important it is to get involved with activities of interest while in school. This discussion would be supported with words of empowerment to pursue scholarships that would enable admission to college. It would also be important to motivate my highschool self by providing the various resources to support work towards entrance to college and encouraging this thinking half way through high school. It would be challenging to stress the importance of working towards an education versus building a social life as most of the students in my high school lacked motivation to continue on to college. A discussion on how putting work into pursing and obtaining a good education might lead to a happier and healthier life full of many rewards might have been reinforcement to previous discussions.

I would have seen a benefit in learning about the pros and cons of distance learning from a previous StonyBrook distance learner. It would have also been nice to have a pre-admission phone conversation with a current or previous distance student. A phone call with a student with distance experience would enable a new student to ask questions about how this type of environment will work into their lives. I would have also benefited from knowing all the resources available to distance and on campus students prior to attendance in an attempt to utilize all the benefits offered.

I was an online distance program student and wish that I could have had a more integrated experience. I see all the people that identify with their college sports teams and I didn't have that urge because I felt so distant. I would have liked if the school kept their distance students just as connected as their students on campus. I could have also benefited from a shadow or mentor upon our visit to the campus, this may have brought us to feeling closer to the college life there.

John

My classmates are extremely competitive, but limited by the school's resources.

My classmates are extremely competitive, but limited by the school's resources.

I love that my school is on the rise. Even though it's a relatively new university, my degree is becoming more and more valuable every day, simply because it's becoming more favorably looked upon.

Get involved in everything you can. Try new things. Take leaps. Even if you don't like it, you just cross it off your list and move on to your next interest. You will find your niche. But don't let your work ethic slip! Some of the best advice I ever heard was "Treat college like a 40 hour a week job: if you don't spend 40 hours in class, spend the rest of the 40 hours in that week studying outside of class." Take leaps, make mistakes, do some stupid things! Don't squander your college experience!

Adebayo

Be ready with a plan, write it down. Know what you want then go for it. Everything is possible. Don't doubt yourself, everyone does, none need to. What is next is exciting. Walk froward with welcoming arms. Mom and dad won't be around so much, this is your chance to show them that they have nothing to worry about. Try new things. Focus on your studies but focus more on your relationships with people. Be kind to everyone you meet. You will be surprised where you end up doing the most learning. Don't dwell in your mistakes because they aren’t mistakes at all, they are just more lessons that college has to teach. Enjoy the moment, each and every single one, you have no idea how often you will visit these upcoming memories. Enjoy as much as you can so you don’t spend the future wishing to return to the past. Focus on learning the things that make you happy so that you may practice the things that give you purpose. Fall in love if you can, you aren’t too young and life is supposed to be fun. Trust me, I know you. Cheers.

The type of person that should consider Stony Brook is a self starter that does not need the guidance of others. A person open to diversity will enjoy the campus as it harbors various ethnicities, religions and cultures. An individual that is not easily influenced by the experience of others will flourish as students tend to be pessimistic. This person will have to come to the school with their own inspiration as the school does very little to add influences outside of academia into the lives of its students.

Amber

Strong diversity here with staff that pushes you to succeed

Strong diversity here with staff that pushes you to succeed

Be bold and don't stop! Don't take the break and go straight to college. You CAN do it and you WILL excel at it. It will change your life. It may not seem like a big deal now and you may feel like other things are more important, but you will be amazed at what you'll do with the degree. You're smarter than you think you are and I know you can do this. Don't be afraid to speak up, lean in and be yourself. You're going to change the world.

Professors not realizing that every student isn't 18 years old with no life experience

Ibn-Umar

Stony Brook University is mostly a science-based research university hidden in the suburbs of Long Island with a very diverse student base, strong academics and highly qualified professors but it's not necessarily a college town and thus lacks a vibrant social scene.

Stony Brook University has a little bit of everything for different kinds of people. It's a school that really welcomes everyone to its doors.

To start, I would have told myself to be more connected with my friends from high school. I realize now that wherever I go, I'm going to make new friends but it's just nice to keep in touch with people. Also, I would have warned myself about how expensive college textbooks and supplies were going to be. If I had known this crucial bit of information, I probably would have gotten a job earlier in high school. My final reminder to my past self would be to tell him that college days can fly by even faster than high school days. You get so caught up in the rush of things that you forget to keep track of time. You come in as an inexperienced freshman and then, just like that, you're at your graduation ceremony receiving your diploma ready to take another giant leap into the world.

Adam

Dear Adam, You wrote a letter to yourself at the end of junior year and opened it the summer of your senior year. This won't go back in time, but one purpose of reflecting is to act as if I'm actually talking to my former self so that I learn the lesson I'm trying to impart. I want to ask you some questions. Why did you only apply to two colleges? What changed from junior year when you wanted to apply to ten colleges? The purpose of these questions is not invoking an answer. The purpose is to inspire thoughtfulness. You react quickly to your impulses and lack self control. You avoid difficult obstacles and consider time a burden. My advice to you is to take a breath, momentarily stop time, and think. You are smart, and thinking is the best way to understand your values and adhere to personal principles. You are distracted by high school, but time goes on and the decisions you half heartedly make will catch up with you in a present moment one day. You can't avoid this, but you can prepare for it. That's how you can be content.

I wish I had known that eventually work out. I transferred from University of Michigan to Nassau Community College, and now to Stonybrook University. I was introspective from my first day in college, and uncertain as time progressed that I was in the right place to get the most out of my education and pursue the most rewarding degree. My passion is learning, but my drive was gone with other concerns hindering my freedom like finances and apprehension about core requirements. In this process, I learned that hard work pays off, not materially, but in terms of personal rewards.

I'm learning this applies to most parts of life. Some of the people are quite frustrating. Stonybrook is an incredible academic institution with proven curricula for intense study, and is a perfect fit for hardworking and self motivated students. The academic environment encourages personal enrichment, so it's frustrating that not every shares that mindset. Some students complain that courses are hard, like they expect getting into college to immediately hand them a degree and get an important job in their desired field. I'm discouraged and frustrated by lack of ambition and laziness.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.