Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Nesto

The diversity on campus is great. Close to New York City, the retention rate among Freshmen student is high and school spirit is soaring every year. The students here are very much in love wit the campus and faculty is also doing a great job of keeping us satisfied.

Take my time. Be patient and look forward to changes that may come. Look outward but most importantly inward, who you are and where you are going.

If you're looking for a school where you think you can slide by with average effort. This school demands and gets the most from each of its students.

Stony Brook University is located close enough to New York City that one can take advantage of all the opportunities offered within the school and the large surrounding city. There are an immense amount of internships and job openings for students interested in many field. It truly provides students with experience in their major and offers credit for school as well. The best part is, the LIRR travels straight from campus to the city with easy accessbility. The opportunities opened for students at SBU is one of it's greatest assets!

While many colleges provide quality education, I am passionate about Stony Brook University because of the "Newsroom of the Future" classrooms and programs it holds for aspiring journalists. It truly is dedicated towards helping students reach their full potential while pursing their dreams. The renowned professors in the program are helpful and guide students through their experience and knowledge. The classrooms hold the best technology for students to work with and truly capture the essence of a true journalist's future career.

Throughout high school, I was not provided with the financial support and advice I needed and have learned from my transitioning summer from senior year to my freshmen year of college. If I were to go back in time, I would advise myself to get a credit card and build up good credit, get a part time job, and apply for as many scholarships as possible. While in high school, all I worried about was planning events and passing tests when I should been looking at the big picture of how my future in college is going to be financially impacted by the decisions made at the time. Due to my lack of prior planning, it is now difficult to get a loan without credit and hard to financially support myself as I approach my freshmen year of college. I have to rely on my parents and family members for help when I could have relied on myself if I had planned out my finances. Also, I would tell myself not to sweat small problems and focus on the big picture; my ultimate dreams and aspirations are at stake!

Josh

Cliquey, with lots of Asians. I would say that this is partially true. Yes, there are a lot of Asians. As for the cliquey-ness of the school, it really depends. Most of the internation students will only associate with other people from their home country and dont make the effort to do otherwise. The other ethnic students who are domestic born are really awesome and friend groups at this school tend to be very diverse, just like the school itself! Commuter School. Well its a 50/50 split between commuters and residents. There is a disconnect between residents and commuters but SBU does a good job with bridging the gap with such programs like commuter connections breakfast in the parking lot and drive in movies.

Erika

First I would say, "When the professor says to read the textbook, read the textbook!!" More importantly I would tell meself to save more money and/or work on paying off my student loans.

They raise tuition to compensate for state budget cuts and at the same time take more and more amentities from the students.

The transportation systems are not always spot-on.

Jeff

How much time would I have? The most important thing I would tell myself is pick a major you enjoy. Don't pick a major because you think it's what you should do. Don't pick a major because you think its what people want you to do. And don't pick a major because it's what people expect. Down the road you'll realize your mistake, if you even apply yourself to begin with. It's your future and what you want to do with it is what matters.

In my classes I have students of Asian, Indian, European, African, and American descents.

Stony Brook is a very diverse campus. People from all over the world come here and all for the same reasons, to further their education and provide themselves with a successful bright future. The other schools I have considered are not as open and diverse as Stony Brook.

I would tell myself that it is most important to focus on yourself and your grades. I would tell myself that I should have started studying more for my core classes at the beginning of the year. I would also tell myself to constantly review throughout the year that way come finals week, it would be more of a review and refresher than relearning topics. Had I known this, finals week would have been a lot less stressful.

rob

They are easily relatable and quite itellegent.

They are easily relatable and quite itellegent.

SBU is know for it's medicial program and engineering.

If i had the ability to go back into time and talk to myself, I would first tell myself to keep doing what I'm doing and that I will get somewhere. I would follow that by saying take the time to go visit colleges and meet people, as well as apply to as many scholarships as possibly. Having only applied to two schools and no scholarships, I would be able to go much further with my education if i had listened to both of the sound pieces of advice. I would also tell myself to listen to all advice that is ever given! College is a great place to learn, obviously, but it's also a great place to experience. If i had this advice as a freshman I would've been much further in my studies, been to more social engagements and joined more clubs. Most importantly I'd tell myself to search for this site and fill out this application. We all know what happens if you go back in time and change something that shouldn't be changed!

Andrew

Stony Brook is extremely diverse. The stereotype is mainly that everybody's Asian because we have a largely life science-based school - which is true. The student body is about 40% Asian which is much higher than usual. The diversity is such that you will find people of all races and ethnicity at Stony Brook.

Danielle

My classes included 200 or more students, but based on the test curves a lot of people seemed smarter than me. On the other hand I met, sat, and studied with people who were also struggling with the material, like me. It let me know I was not alone.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to apply to a different college because the material at Stony Brook is very difficult and ruining my GPA. I would also tell myself to not trust people as easily because the people at my college are socially awkward and are scared away by people trying to help them. Overall I did not enjoy my first year and hope the years to come are better, but unfortunately you would only know that from experience and for all I know other colleges could be the same.

The one thing I like about college is the freedom, compared to high school. It was nice to have free time where it was your choice to study and not because your parents were telling you to. College has made me aware of the fact that I am mature enough to do my work and not slack off or party.

Muskan

extremely helpful, tedious, and hardworking

extremely helpful, tedious, and hardworking

College is considered to be one of the best times of one's life. It is in college where one is exposed to different political views, ethnicities, religions, nationalities, and above all, different people. It is one of the most important phases of your life. It is a phase in which one grows to be a more mature person. If I could go back in time and talk to my own self as a high school senior, I would advise myself to step foot into college with a broad mind so I can welcome new ideologies and thoughts. For the course load, good organization and study skills are extremely important. I will balance my social life and my academic life, making sure that social life does not interfere with my study time. One of the most important things I would consider is the type of classes that I will take. Besides the core classes that are required for my major/minor, I will take other classes that highly interest me. I will give myself advise to join more clubs, volunteer, and participate in extracurricular activities. I will take college as a huge learning experience where I will grow throughout.

A person that is not friendly and is not accommodating to other religions, nationalities, ethnicities, and political views.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.