Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Matthew

There is a great community in my building. I have fun and am involved on campus. Our Football team is not horrible.

Someone who is looking for an exceptional experience in the fine arts.

Throughout my senior year of high school, I was bloated from the high marks I received in Honors Calculus, Marine Biology, and AP Computer Science. I concocted the notion that I was a scientist, and I was going to cure cancer with a biomedical engineering innovation. Yet, my true passion has been to become a lawyer. Running from the humanities, I applied to mostly science universities. This is when I should have heard, “Don't forget yourself. You hate science.” If I had received this message, it would have impacted me two-fold. The immediate impact would have been on my college application process. I would have applied to more and or different universities. This would have given me options to contemplate. The lasting effect revolves around class selection. I would have not taken as many science courses in my freshman year of college. Without those courses, I would have had a significant boost to my GPA and increased space for classes I enjoy. I would love the chance to gain a greater degree of happiness and intellectual development. A meaningful difference in my life could have been made with these six words, hypothetically speaking.

Gabriela

Do not think you can do well in college doing the same amount of work you did in highschool! The work that was able to pull you an A in highschool may not even be enough to get you a college C. There are exceptions, but for the most part, you're on your own in college. Teachers won't care if you do well or not as long as they're getting paid. Also, with all the adjusting you'll have to do to your new lifestyle on campus, do not get too distracted. Learn to manage your time effectively from the beginning. There is time for everything, and in the long run, what will matter the most are your grades. But that doesn't mean spend every second of free time you have in the library. You should also get involved in college. Clubs and extracirricular activities will set you apart when it comes time to write your resume. Most importantly, don't just study something that you think will get you money in the future. Find something you love, and with passion and hard work, money will follow. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

If you cannot thrive in big classes, do not attend.

The campus life at SBU was so enthusiastic. I visited during Earthstock, which is a festival celebrating our planet (recycling, hula-hoop classes on the grass, a strawberry-themed festival) and it really spoke to me. The campus was so alive and vibrant that I knew Stony Brook was the right school for me. And on an unrelated note-- there is a train station straight to the city right on campus!

My school is really diverse. I've never met so many exchange students (both foreign and within the USA) in so many majors. We have everything from Theatre to Physics, from Studio Art to BioChem. If you like something, there is a place for you. We have a Fencing Club, a Science Fiction Forum, a LGBTA alliance, and so much more. We also have a thriving athletics program and a very talented marching band! If you can think of it, Stony Brook has a club for it.

When I transitioned to college, I forgot to take care of myself. I got so wrapped up in school and my social life that I never took a day to just de-stress, relax, and do something I enjoyed. I was bouncing back and forth between classes, clubs, parties, roommate gatherings, freshman orientations, and everything else I could get my hands on. I loved my new freedom to go out whenever I wanted to do whatever I wanted. I didn't sleep enough and my meals were less than nutritious. I'd eat what was offered at a party or a luncheon with an important staff member, but I'd skimp on dining hall food in favor of fast, unhealthy treats. If I could go back to my high school self, I'd tell her to relax a little. I'd remind her that it's OK to have a day to yourself to just sleep in, read a book or play a video game, and not go out with anyone. It isn't anti social to take time for yourself, and it took me messing up my entire freshman year to learn that.

Skyler

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; those who seek no improvement of of their academic success, or wish to start anew; this college is not for you; then again neither is any opportunity of greater education. Despite the peering reputation, Suffolk County Community College has an honorable hold on achievement. In faith I trusted them to feed the evergrowing mind of the Poet Scholar; in which allows a further progression of my entity.

Your life, our life; a perpetual digression, so it seems. In comfort, you’ll understand how our life works. I shall not speak of the necessity of improvement, for there is no need in so. You may perceive your future entity as an empty promise, but I do implore and beseech you, to keep our name dear to your heart; Skyler. We are scholars; we ought to thank our mother for such a Dutching name. My simple speech is that of insurance, continue as you are. Continue writing wooing poetry, your romantic essence will serge from heart to vein, vein to wound, wound to skin, skin to pen, pen to ink, ink to paper. They’ll fall in love, as so will you. You will fall, and then rise, and then to fall again, and rise again. You’ll experience the cycle, as did I. From one Skyler Jon Thayer to another, just do what you do best.

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; the worst is the idiotic drivers on campus. Even the best will become the worst; it only takes minutes. The most clear of heads will become the most chaotic of them all. It’s praised that safety is first, but in the mouths of the self-concerned students, they rage, “me, me, me!”

Nesto

The diversity on campus is great. Close to New York City, the retention rate among Freshmen student is high and school spirit is soaring every year. The students here are very much in love wit the campus and faculty is also doing a great job of keeping us satisfied.

Take my time. Be patient and look forward to changes that may come. Look outward but most importantly inward, who you are and where you are going.

If you're looking for a school where you think you can slide by with average effort. This school demands and gets the most from each of its students.

Stony Brook University is located close enough to New York City that one can take advantage of all the opportunities offered within the school and the large surrounding city. There are an immense amount of internships and job openings for students interested in many field. It truly provides students with experience in their major and offers credit for school as well. The best part is, the LIRR travels straight from campus to the city with easy accessbility. The opportunities opened for students at SBU is one of it's greatest assets!

While many colleges provide quality education, I am passionate about Stony Brook University because of the "Newsroom of the Future" classrooms and programs it holds for aspiring journalists. It truly is dedicated towards helping students reach their full potential while pursing their dreams. The renowned professors in the program are helpful and guide students through their experience and knowledge. The classrooms hold the best technology for students to work with and truly capture the essence of a true journalist's future career.

Throughout high school, I was not provided with the financial support and advice I needed and have learned from my transitioning summer from senior year to my freshmen year of college. If I were to go back in time, I would advise myself to get a credit card and build up good credit, get a part time job, and apply for as many scholarships as possible. While in high school, all I worried about was planning events and passing tests when I should been looking at the big picture of how my future in college is going to be financially impacted by the decisions made at the time. Due to my lack of prior planning, it is now difficult to get a loan without credit and hard to financially support myself as I approach my freshmen year of college. I have to rely on my parents and family members for help when I could have relied on myself if I had planned out my finances. Also, I would tell myself not to sweat small problems and focus on the big picture; my ultimate dreams and aspirations are at stake!

Josh

Cliquey, with lots of Asians. I would say that this is partially true. Yes, there are a lot of Asians. As for the cliquey-ness of the school, it really depends. Most of the internation students will only associate with other people from their home country and dont make the effort to do otherwise. The other ethnic students who are domestic born are really awesome and friend groups at this school tend to be very diverse, just like the school itself! Commuter School. Well its a 50/50 split between commuters and residents. There is a disconnect between residents and commuters but SBU does a good job with bridging the gap with such programs like commuter connections breakfast in the parking lot and drive in movies.

Erika

First I would say, "When the professor says to read the textbook, read the textbook!!" More importantly I would tell meself to save more money and/or work on paying off my student loans.

They raise tuition to compensate for state budget cuts and at the same time take more and more amentities from the students.

The transportation systems are not always spot-on.

Jeff

How much time would I have? The most important thing I would tell myself is pick a major you enjoy. Don't pick a major because you think it's what you should do. Don't pick a major because you think its what people want you to do. And don't pick a major because it's what people expect. Down the road you'll realize your mistake, if you even apply yourself to begin with. It's your future and what you want to do with it is what matters.

In my classes I have students of Asian, Indian, European, African, and American descents.

Stony Brook is a very diverse campus. People from all over the world come here and all for the same reasons, to further their education and provide themselves with a successful bright future. The other schools I have considered are not as open and diverse as Stony Brook.

I would tell myself that it is most important to focus on yourself and your grades. I would tell myself that I should have started studying more for my core classes at the beginning of the year. I would also tell myself to constantly review throughout the year that way come finals week, it would be more of a review and refresher than relearning topics. Had I known this, finals week would have been a lot less stressful.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.