Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Paige

I skipped a year of college right after high school and if i could go back i would tell myself not to because it is wonderful. i love college and could be farther along if i wasent scared that first year out of high school.

Gilad

Students here are usually overworked and depressed.

Students here are usually overworked and depressed.

Stony brook is primarily known as a medical and scientific research school.

I would have told myself to not to slack off as much and to be more pressing about my college application.

Krupali

Honestly there is no stereotype at Stony Brook; the campus is so large and diverse that there is a good mix of jocks, and geeks and frat kids. Whatever you're looking for, Stony probably has a group of it, and the campus is too large to be sterotyped.

Krystalyn

It is a good school. There is an abundance of interesting classes and a lot of new people to meet and get to know. However, tuition keep going up, the meal plan kind of sucks, and there is a lot of construction on campus. The campus is large, but not so big as so you couldn't walk completely across campus in about 15 minutes. Sometimes administrative red tape can be very confusing, but the staff are generally friendly even if they have no idea how to help you. School pride is something that is really big in some circles, and not so important in others. You can easily go to a rally and rage and cheer with hundreds of other students, or be comfortably, completely negligent. I like this aspect of the school; how they encourage school spirit without demanding it. Personally, my favorite area to hang out is the TAC or "Tabler Arts Center". Starting at around 9pm and lasting almost completely through the night people gather in front of the TAC to hang out, make friends, and be generally silly. I will always remember these giant gatherings of friends and soon to be friends as we experimented in all sorts of crazy things.

Describe a typical weekend.

Quiet. The campus becomes barren as most of the students journey home to spend the weekends with their families. As a student from California, this really isn't an option for me. In the wasteland that is the weekend on campus, I have had my most interesting adventures and made my closest friends. Nothing inspires friendship and adventure like an unhealthy amount of boredom.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Trees and a somewhat old fashion shopping center. Life off campus really doesn't hit modern conveniences until you are about 2 miles away at the mall. However, with hourly and sometimes even free buses and a convenient train station on campus, getting away is not very difficult for student landlocked by a lack of car.

What do students complain about most?

The food. Overpriced and not nearly as delicious as it should be. I found my resolution through living in a cooking apartment and making my own food. With a free weekend bus to the mall and other various shopping centers, this was both easy and affordable.

There are So many student activity groups it is hard to say which are the most popular. Personally, I am involved with Oxfam, the Culinary Club, SBU-TNG club, the SB cat network, and the Commuter Student Committee. This, along with the myriad of student activities keeps me both busy and well fed. (Most organizations and activities give away free food). Most of my closest friend I've met through these activities and through just being around on campus. 2am on a Tuesday? I'm probably hanging out at the TAC or grabbing a bit to eat at Kelly Cafe. Traditions include The Great Roth Regatta - Teams of people construct creative boats out of duct tape and cardboard and race them across a pond located on school grounds. Hundreds of people show up to participate and cheer the contestants on while they enjoy free food, treats, and paraphernalia. It is perhaps my favorite tradition. Other Annual events include Strawberry-fest, Rubber-Duck racing, Earth Fest, multiple ice-cream socials and a whole lot more that I cannot remember off the top of my head. Greek Life is somewhat big, but not something I ever became a part of. They often host parties and campus events that are usually very large, but level of involvement is very optional. Honestly, Saturday nights are pretty dead. Almost everyone goes home for the weekend, which is a shame, because wander campus with your friend on the weekend is very fun and is the basis of many of my fondest memories of Stony Brook. New York City is just a short train ride away so it is easy to make your way to the city for an adventure anytime-if you have enough money to afford a ticket, that is. Other off-campus activities include mall runs, adventure in the nice little waterfront town of Port Jefferson, and playing at the beach.

How close you get to you professors really depends on what kinds of classes you are taking. In my freshman and sophomore years, it was rare that I ever spoke to a professor. Sure, they had office hours and were more than willing to help out whenever they were needed; however, because I classes were large and I never really struggled, I didn't feel like being imposing. Now that I am a senior and my classes have become specialized, it is rare for my professors not to know my name. The smaller class size usually lends itself to more open an interesting discussions as students become less timid about expressing their opinion. I love all the classes, except for the ones I hate. Classes I've found particularly off putting are the general level classes for chemistry and math. General Chemistry, the basics, was explained in an overly complicated and difficult way that really did nothing to inspire my learning process, and the math teachers didn't quite know how to explain the material in such a way that it translated well to me. I believe this is Because of how basic the material was. That, because the professors were so far beyond the basics, it was hard for them to simplify something that, to them, was already ridiculously simple. As classes progressed off the more basic levels, their teaching style became more comprehensive and understandable. I love having intellectual conversations outside of class, People here are smart and come up with a bunch of crazy awesome, interesting ideas. My major is Health Sciences. This means my senior year I will spend learning about the health industry and health related subject in the Stony Brook Hospital. The first semester of doing this in my senior year was somewhat of a let down: Health Science classes were slow, boring, and there were a bunch of unpleasant group projects. However, now that I am in the second semester, I have found that the classes have become quite a bit more interesting. While I have always been interested in learning for knowledge sake, this major specifically is geared towards future employment. I find it quite helpful ass I know I will have to graduate eventually.

There are actually different stereotypes for different sections of the school. Tabler quad is full of hippies, H-quad is full of jocks, Roosevelt is a ghetto, and things like that. It is somewhat true. Upon entering Stony Brook University, people are separated into 5 subgroups with the hope that they will meet people who have similar interests. Eventually, new students settle into the group of people they are most comfortable with and gravitate to specific parts of campus.

Brittainy

Stony Brook is fun, enlightening, challenging, and provides students with the necessary resources to suceed in life.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have so much advice to give. First, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible! Its amazing how much scholarships one can get and they IMMENSELY decrease the amount of those daunting school loans. I would also advise to know your options when registering for classes. Many times I suffered through classes that I didnt really need to take. Speak to your advisors, they are there to help and support you. I would advise myself to take advantage of any tutoring that is offered on campus. Many times I struggled in math and chemistry, not realizing that I had several opportunities to get great help. Most importantly, I would tell myself to relax and ENJOY COLLEGE. Yes, college is about getting a degree and positioning oneself for a career BUT you only get four years of college. Dont rush to graduation and enjoy it while you can because when you graduate, LIFE HAPPENS! Join clubs and/or sororities, gain lifetime friends, obtain experience through on campus internships and jobs. Have fun.

The most frustrating thing is the steadily increasing tuition amount.

Vikalpa

I believe Stony Brook is a good middle ground for students looking for a quality science education at an affordable price. Our university is ranked very high in our science and research departments, a ranking I can vouch for as a Biology major. Unfortunately, since this school is so heavily dedicated to science and engineering, it may not be suitable for those looking into other fields such as business or law. However, regardless of what a student chooses to study at Stony Brook, there is always help available.

The students at Stony Brook are very diverse, partly because it is a large school and partly because there are a lot of students from one of the most diverse cities on the planet, NYC. There are countless clubs, greek organizations, societies, etc to accommodate to any type of student.

The stereotype I tend to hear is that Stony Brook is a school full of stoners. Our university has adopted the nicknames: Stoner Brook and Stoned and Broke. Although there is a considerable population of students who engage in marijuana use, I do not necessarily find it to be anything out of the norm. Drug use is a problem across campuses nationwide. Fortunately, Stony Brook security and regulations work to making the campus an education conducive environment. As a student, the advice I would give to any parent of prospective student concerned about such an issue is that ultimately, the success of the student depends on will power and a proper mindset. There are just as many ways to avoid bad company as there are ways to become bad company.

Tino

There are a lot of things I want perspective frosh to know before coming to SBU. First of all, this school is huge! This includes both the tremendous size of campus as well as the number of students who attend here. It takes on average 5-9 minutes to walk almost anywhere from dorm halls to class. One thing I would definitely change is the on campus food. They got rid of Taco Bell (WHY?!). Wendy's, CPK, "Dunkin Donuts" (probably the ghetto-est ever), and the campus dining food gets sickening very quickly. The best thing about this school is that you are given a lot of freedom- but of course this entitles a lot of responsibility. People assume I party a lot and have so much fun when I tell them I go to this school. While I do have fun, it is only because my friends and I seek out the fun or make the fun ourselves. There aren't a lot of parties and the Greek life isn't impressive at all. The worst part of SBU is that since the campus is so big and a lot of people go home during the weekends, SBU is sort of dead. It becomes worse when you realize without a car, you are entrapped in this deserted island. Even when you go off campus, there is nothing to do for quite a great radius. My opinion of the school's administration is that they are bunch of suits trying to steal any kind of money they can from its students whether it be through an annual increase in tuition or ridiculous prices for books. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the fact that there are new charges being added to the tuition but just recently the university was given $1.5 million...(exactly?!). I do admit there is a lot of school pride- just go to any student ask them "WHAT'S A SEA WOLF?" and find out for yourself what we think of ourselves. Classes here are really hard and you must keep up with the material otherwise you are going to be as depressed as the kids that are sitting at the library the night before the final! One experience I will always remember is meeting all of my friends. Because of that one incident, I am able to have fun and make the best of my time here at Stony Brook.

The types of students that attend SBU vary incredibly. You will probably never encounter as many different types of students of different backgrounds and different interests. The school has every time of ethnicity, religion, socio-economic, and LGBT student attending here. I think any student will be welcomed here because of the number of different clubs and groups existing here. Most students wear normal clothing to school, while you do have the occasional student wearing PJs that comes into lecture. All the different types of students definitely interact with each other through ethnic organizations and Greek life. Four tables of students you will see at dining halls are athletes, Greek life, various ethnicities, and a mix of everything. Students are from all over the world. There are definitely a lot of students from different countries like Korea as well as different states such as all the way from the West Coast. Most students here are in the middle class of the economy. Students are really politically aware and even have their own organizations on campus. Students here are very goal oriented.

Caterina

Stony Brook is really good at providing opportunities for every type of college student. There is a bit too much science-driven students which shows in the lack of emphasis in the Humanities department. Also the campus is a bit liberal and it's hard for conservative students to express themselves. There is a lot of school pride and there are options to leave campus (the train to Penn Station is five minutes away!). The school's administration is a bit annoying, but overall it's a good school

There are millions of groups on campus and there are different racial, religious, LGBT, and socio-economic groups that exist. I think a conservative white kid from the South might have a culture shock if they attended this school. Most students are from New York, but there are many from California (and in between) also from around the world (i.e. India and China). A lot of students are politically active and 99% of them are on the left/progressive, I'm one of the few on the right/center. The students who are very concerned about the future often talk about how much they will make one day.

In many humanities classes, the professors learn your name by the second week. In science classes you will be in a room of 100-1000 students so it's hard for them to learn your name, and sometimes they won't know who you are at all....so go attend their office hours! Class participation is often important in the humanities department and is one of the deciding factors of your final grade. Many students are very competitive, especially those who are pre-med. My department is very small and has about 5 undergraduate students and about 20 graduate students. It's very disappointing, but then again Literature is not a major field at Stony Brook.

That everyone is Asian and can't speak English. It's not completely accurate, but around half of the kids are of Asian descent

The best thing about this school is the location. I love being surrounded by trees and fresh air. I would probably make more programs to make everyone feel more welcome, because it is so easy to become just a number in such a large school. One of the most frequent complaints that I've heard is that the food is less than average. On the other hand, this is not my personal opinion.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The biggest sport in this school is football. We made it to the championships this year which caused a lot of school pride. Basketball is also a pretty big deal, but the football team is the most famous of them all.

It's incredibly beautiful on a sunny day. There are lots of geese that leave droppings on the floor very often, but you get used to it. When a class finishes, the major paths get very crowded, but it's tolerable.

Describe a typical weekend.

In a typical weekend, I normally make plans to do a load of studying and schoolwork. Overall, I end up sleeping extensively, catching up with friends and playing video games.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Arianna Huffington from the Huffington post came on campus one day last year. I had the opportunity to hear her speak and be interviewed by one of my professor. It was memorable to me because I've watched her on the T.V. and have a lot of respect for what she does. It was surreal seeing her in person.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Stony Brook is a large University which is famous for its health and science programs. The air on campus is nice and clean in comparison to the air in New York City, and the campus is beautiful on a sunny day. There are so many options when it comes to food on campus, and you're bound to find what you like because of this. Overall, it is a great school.

I really like the involvement fair because it informs students of all the different clubs that exist on campus. I also enjoy strawberry festival because it is one of my favorite fruits.

When you step off campus what do you see?

There's a major highway in one of the exits. After going a little further you see shopping areas, and places like Red Mango. There's a few grocery stores like Stop and Shop and Walmart.

I haven't been to many other campuses, but I love the fact that there are so many trees and paths one could take. It is so beautiful, and I love finding new things, even though this is my second year here.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms vary greatly at this school. The corridor style dorm I'm currently living in is small, but effective. I share a kitchen and a bathroom with about 15-30 other girls, so that's tough.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school for three major reasons. The first is its reputation. Stony Brook is a highly regarded school, based on the success of the students who graduate. The second reason is because my mother is an alum. The third is because of its location.

The community service club is incredibly popular. They have many events, and an enormous amount of members. In addition to this, our school has something called Humans v. Zombies. This is a club/game that includes anyone who wants to play. There are more than a thousand students who engage in this activity every year.

This school is so big that it's hard to put every student under one category. The people I've come to know so far have been exceptional. I love the fact that it is ok to arrive to class in one's pajamas. I also love that there are so many clubs available for all kinds of people with different interests. This school is predominantly Asian and Caucasian, and I often find myself in classes where there are little to no other African Americans. Albeit, the majority of the students come from the middle class, and can normally relate to one another.

I think the academics are fabulous. As an English major, the Humanities department is incredibly helpful. The student to faculty ratio is great, and most of the professors I've had still know me by my name. The learning doesn't stop once class ends. It continues whenever an interesting topic is brought up. I believe that the Career center is well equipped to help students figure out where they want to go with their majors, and how. I think we have plenty of job fairs and opportunities to be exposed to the options we will have in the future.

Well there is one stereotype that all the Asian students are science majors, and terrible at writing and English. There is also another stereotype that Stony Brook is a party school.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.