Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Vikalpa

I believe Stony Brook is a good middle ground for students looking for a quality science education at an affordable price. Our university is ranked very high in our science and research departments, a ranking I can vouch for as a Biology major. Unfortunately, since this school is so heavily dedicated to science and engineering, it may not be suitable for those looking into other fields such as business or law. However, regardless of what a student chooses to study at Stony Brook, there is always help available.

The students at Stony Brook are very diverse, partly because it is a large school and partly because there are a lot of students from one of the most diverse cities on the planet, NYC. There are countless clubs, greek organizations, societies, etc to accommodate to any type of student.

The stereotype I tend to hear is that Stony Brook is a school full of stoners. Our university has adopted the nicknames: Stoner Brook and Stoned and Broke. Although there is a considerable population of students who engage in marijuana use, I do not necessarily find it to be anything out of the norm. Drug use is a problem across campuses nationwide. Fortunately, Stony Brook security and regulations work to making the campus an education conducive environment. As a student, the advice I would give to any parent of prospective student concerned about such an issue is that ultimately, the success of the student depends on will power and a proper mindset. There are just as many ways to avoid bad company as there are ways to become bad company.

Tino

There are a lot of things I want perspective frosh to know before coming to SBU. First of all, this school is huge! This includes both the tremendous size of campus as well as the number of students who attend here. It takes on average 5-9 minutes to walk almost anywhere from dorm halls to class. One thing I would definitely change is the on campus food. They got rid of Taco Bell (WHY?!). Wendy's, CPK, "Dunkin Donuts" (probably the ghetto-est ever), and the campus dining food gets sickening very quickly. The best thing about this school is that you are given a lot of freedom- but of course this entitles a lot of responsibility. People assume I party a lot and have so much fun when I tell them I go to this school. While I do have fun, it is only because my friends and I seek out the fun or make the fun ourselves. There aren't a lot of parties and the Greek life isn't impressive at all. The worst part of SBU is that since the campus is so big and a lot of people go home during the weekends, SBU is sort of dead. It becomes worse when you realize without a car, you are entrapped in this deserted island. Even when you go off campus, there is nothing to do for quite a great radius. My opinion of the school's administration is that they are bunch of suits trying to steal any kind of money they can from its students whether it be through an annual increase in tuition or ridiculous prices for books. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the fact that there are new charges being added to the tuition but just recently the university was given $1.5 million...(exactly?!). I do admit there is a lot of school pride- just go to any student ask them "WHAT'S A SEA WOLF?" and find out for yourself what we think of ourselves. Classes here are really hard and you must keep up with the material otherwise you are going to be as depressed as the kids that are sitting at the library the night before the final! One experience I will always remember is meeting all of my friends. Because of that one incident, I am able to have fun and make the best of my time here at Stony Brook.

The types of students that attend SBU vary incredibly. You will probably never encounter as many different types of students of different backgrounds and different interests. The school has every time of ethnicity, religion, socio-economic, and LGBT student attending here. I think any student will be welcomed here because of the number of different clubs and groups existing here. Most students wear normal clothing to school, while you do have the occasional student wearing PJs that comes into lecture. All the different types of students definitely interact with each other through ethnic organizations and Greek life. Four tables of students you will see at dining halls are athletes, Greek life, various ethnicities, and a mix of everything. Students are from all over the world. There are definitely a lot of students from different countries like Korea as well as different states such as all the way from the West Coast. Most students here are in the middle class of the economy. Students are really politically aware and even have their own organizations on campus. Students here are very goal oriented.

Caterina

Stony Brook is really good at providing opportunities for every type of college student. There is a bit too much science-driven students which shows in the lack of emphasis in the Humanities department. Also the campus is a bit liberal and it's hard for conservative students to express themselves. There is a lot of school pride and there are options to leave campus (the train to Penn Station is five minutes away!). The school's administration is a bit annoying, but overall it's a good school

There are millions of groups on campus and there are different racial, religious, LGBT, and socio-economic groups that exist. I think a conservative white kid from the South might have a culture shock if they attended this school. Most students are from New York, but there are many from California (and in between) also from around the world (i.e. India and China). A lot of students are politically active and 99% of them are on the left/progressive, I'm one of the few on the right/center. The students who are very concerned about the future often talk about how much they will make one day.

In many humanities classes, the professors learn your name by the second week. In science classes you will be in a room of 100-1000 students so it's hard for them to learn your name, and sometimes they won't know who you are at all....so go attend their office hours! Class participation is often important in the humanities department and is one of the deciding factors of your final grade. Many students are very competitive, especially those who are pre-med. My department is very small and has about 5 undergraduate students and about 20 graduate students. It's very disappointing, but then again Literature is not a major field at Stony Brook.

That everyone is Asian and can't speak English. It's not completely accurate, but around half of the kids are of Asian descent

The best thing about this school is the location. I love being surrounded by trees and fresh air. I would probably make more programs to make everyone feel more welcome, because it is so easy to become just a number in such a large school. One of the most frequent complaints that I've heard is that the food is less than average. On the other hand, this is not my personal opinion.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The biggest sport in this school is football. We made it to the championships this year which caused a lot of school pride. Basketball is also a pretty big deal, but the football team is the most famous of them all.

It's incredibly beautiful on a sunny day. There are lots of geese that leave droppings on the floor very often, but you get used to it. When a class finishes, the major paths get very crowded, but it's tolerable.

Describe a typical weekend.

In a typical weekend, I normally make plans to do a load of studying and schoolwork. Overall, I end up sleeping extensively, catching up with friends and playing video games.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Arianna Huffington from the Huffington post came on campus one day last year. I had the opportunity to hear her speak and be interviewed by one of my professor. It was memorable to me because I've watched her on the T.V. and have a lot of respect for what she does. It was surreal seeing her in person.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Stony Brook is a large University which is famous for its health and science programs. The air on campus is nice and clean in comparison to the air in New York City, and the campus is beautiful on a sunny day. There are so many options when it comes to food on campus, and you're bound to find what you like because of this. Overall, it is a great school.

I really like the involvement fair because it informs students of all the different clubs that exist on campus. I also enjoy strawberry festival because it is one of my favorite fruits.

When you step off campus what do you see?

There's a major highway in one of the exits. After going a little further you see shopping areas, and places like Red Mango. There's a few grocery stores like Stop and Shop and Walmart.

I haven't been to many other campuses, but I love the fact that there are so many trees and paths one could take. It is so beautiful, and I love finding new things, even though this is my second year here.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms vary greatly at this school. The corridor style dorm I'm currently living in is small, but effective. I share a kitchen and a bathroom with about 15-30 other girls, so that's tough.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school for three major reasons. The first is its reputation. Stony Brook is a highly regarded school, based on the success of the students who graduate. The second reason is because my mother is an alum. The third is because of its location.

The community service club is incredibly popular. They have many events, and an enormous amount of members. In addition to this, our school has something called Humans v. Zombies. This is a club/game that includes anyone who wants to play. There are more than a thousand students who engage in this activity every year.

This school is so big that it's hard to put every student under one category. The people I've come to know so far have been exceptional. I love the fact that it is ok to arrive to class in one's pajamas. I also love that there are so many clubs available for all kinds of people with different interests. This school is predominantly Asian and Caucasian, and I often find myself in classes where there are little to no other African Americans. Albeit, the majority of the students come from the middle class, and can normally relate to one another.

I think the academics are fabulous. As an English major, the Humanities department is incredibly helpful. The student to faculty ratio is great, and most of the professors I've had still know me by my name. The learning doesn't stop once class ends. It continues whenever an interesting topic is brought up. I believe that the Career center is well equipped to help students figure out where they want to go with their majors, and how. I think we have plenty of job fairs and opportunities to be exposed to the options we will have in the future.

Well there is one stereotype that all the Asian students are science majors, and terrible at writing and English. There is also another stereotype that Stony Brook is a party school.

I love Stony Brook University with all my heart. However, I do realize that SBU is not an ideal fit for everyone. Choosing a college is a very important decision and should not be done hastefully. Here are some factors that I believe are important about every university. I have included some details about why I specifically love Stony Brook for each catagory. 1. Location – Do you want to live close to home or do you want to live in a completely new environment? Personally, Stony Brook was the ideal balance between close proximity to my family and a new environment. Campus is only a 1 hour drive away from home, however, I don’t find myself feeling obligated to see my family every weekend. On a positive note, due its proximity and the amazing public transportation services on Long Island I have gone home on weekdays just to eat dinner with the family. Along with location comes an often overlooked factor – weather. If you are not someone who enjoys the snow chances are you would not like going to college in upstate New York. I personally love Stony Brook because we get every type of weather. This allows me to add to my ever expanding shoe collection with new boots, flip flops, sandals, etc.Stony Brook University is located on Long Island which offers a great suburban life as well as access to the world's greatest city - Manhatten! I am able to easily get to NYC with an hour drive or a two hour train ride! In the summer Stony Brook's proximity to many of Long Island's best beaches is a great way to enjoy an afterwith with friends after classes. 2. Programs and majors - One of the most important things to look into when selecting a college are the programs they offer. Even though, a vast majority of students apply to college with an “undeclared” major, make sure your college of choice offers classes in the general subject matter you are interested in. I love Stony Brook because of their science curriculum. As a research university Stony Brook's science classes are challanging but engaging! Students are also always given the opportunity to conduct research with professors in a subject of interest. 3. Cost- It is very important to take into consideration the tuition rates when selecting a college. Obviously, you don’t want to put yourself into incredible amounts of debt as an undergraduate especially if you are planning on pursuing higher education. Luckily, Stony Brook is a public school (SUNY – State University of New York) and has relatively affordable costs of attendance. :) 4. Extracurricular Activities – These expereinces not only compliment things you learn in class but also they can serve as a way to explore on of your new passions. Stony Brook has over 300 clubs and organizations! I am 100% sure that within this vast number you will find something you are passionate about. 5. Size of the undergraduate class- Most likely you knew everyone in your highs school graduating class but in college this can dramatically change depending on the size of your undergraduate student body.The nice thing about Stony Brook is that there is enough people that you can remain anonymous yet I have this theory that everyone knows everyone by at least 3 degrees. 6. What is the school “known” for?- I consider Stony Brook a well-rounded school but I am proud to say our strongest departments are science, engineering and journalism. Before you select a college do some research about their most popular and well known programs.

I am heavily involved in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS for short). We are a community service based honor society that sends out invitations to freshmen or sophomores that have achieved a GPA above 3.4. NSCS is very active on campus and recognized nationally – for the past two years our Stony Brook chapter has been recognized as one of the strongest chapters in the nation. Although there is a nominal fee to join, as a member you receive discounts to many of our affiliate companies and are eligible for thousands of dollars in scholarship money. We hold a few signature events each semester that are open to the campus community. One of my personal favorites is Autumn Ecstasy, a charity ball we hold each November. Like all universites, Stony Brook has many traditions. One of my favorite Stony Brook traditions is EARTHSTOCK, a celebration of Earth Day. During this event the academic mall is always full of student organizations and local organizations that support the environment. Last year I bought this cute box of note cards. However, they weren’t just ordinary note cards they were eco-friendly paper made up of 50% elephant dung! I am really looking forward to walking around all the tables in the Spring semester. In addition, every year around 2PM we have our famous rubber duck races. In the weeks prior to Earthstock everyone can adopt a duck for $1 at the Dean of Students Office. Everyone who adopts duck gets an official adoption certificate which entitles you to love and provide for your rubber ducky. The ducks are released from the top of “stony brook”, the waterfall that runs from administration down to the Wang Center. Honestly, the image of 500+ red ducks racing down “stony brook” is one of my favorite annual memories and makes me to happy. Later in the Spring semester, the entire Stony Brook community celebrates Strawberry Fest , which is a festival that honors Long Island’s seasonal fruit, strawberries. Local vendors set up various stations that have foods that all have some strawberry component. Some of the items from last year include grilled chicken with quinoa and strawberry salsa, strawberry fields’ salad and strawberry strudel! Tickets are available for purchase at any of the campus dining facilities for only $8.45 and can be purchased using meal points. My absolute favorite Stony Brook tradition is Roth Regatta, a boat race across Roth Pond. The trick is the boat can only be made with the following materials cardboard, duct tape, rope, paint, wax and Elmer’s glue. People fall into pond, boats crash, its madness! But entirely awesome at the same time.

I am blessed that Stony Brook is such a diverse campus! We have people from nearly every corner of the globe, practicing every relgion, speaking every langugage, etc! This has allowed for an incredibly enriching college experience.

As nerdy as this may sound I actually enjoy studying for my classes. Part of the beauty of college is that you are allowed to pretty much take the majority of your classes in a subject that you love! Asides from some non-science general education classes I have pretty much only taken science classes. Unlike in high school where I had to sit through world history and american history waiting for the period to end, I can’t wait to get to some of my classes in the morning. My favorite class that I have taken at Stony Brook is my BIO 315 Microbiology (micro for short) class! After completing my introductory level biology classes this was my first upper division biology class that I took. To be completely honest, I was terrified the first day of class. Upper division biology classes are traditionally taken by juniors or seniors – but I was a sophomore venturing into this unknown territory. To my surprise, micro turned out to be incredibly interesting and enjoyable! After I took the class, I actually recognized some of the diseases mentioned in House and Grey’s Anatomy. Even though the class was held in Javits 100 (our largest lecture hall that seats 500+ students), our professor made the class very personable and interactive. Our professor was always asking questions, making jokes and encouraging the students to participate. Weekly office hours held by the undergraduate teachers’ assistants made the class even more personable! A TA is an undergraduate student who did very well in the class in a previous semester and is now serving as a “tutor” for current students. Micro is a unique class in that the TAs also give out extra credit quizzes every week. Not only do these quizzes help your grade at the end of the semester but they also serve as a great way to keep up with the material during the semester. I loved this class so much that I actually TAed BIO 315 my spring semester junior year! Even though I pretty much live and breathe science I still wanted to venture out and explore some humanities classes. Some of my other favorite classes that I took at Stony Brook include a political science class as well as several sociology classes, Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and take a class just because it sounds interesting!

I think the sterotype for Stony Brook students is that everyone is Pre-Med and super competitive. Although we do have a pretty high percentage of Pre-Health (medicine, dental, physical therapy, etc) students - everyone is willing to help.

Gaby

I love the people that I have met here. I would change the registration process for classes because it is so difficult to get into required classes sometimes. The size of the school is decent. Stony Brook is a pretty good school and I think anyone that goes here should be proud to go here. The most frequent student complaints are that there is nothing to do on campus but honestly, your experience is what you make of it. If you don't stay on campus and go to events, you're going to be bored with your experience.

The most popular groups are ethnic based groups. There are also a lot of charity groups like the red cross and other smaller ones. In my building many people leave their doors open. Athletic events are semi popular. Around Homecoming everyone gets excited for the game. There are lots of things going on--parties, events, speakers/lectures. Frats and sororities are kind of important but I'd rather ignore them. There are some things to do off campus as well such as go to the movies or the mall.

The students are pretty diverse. There are a lot of Asians, but there are many students of various backgrounds, religions, etc.

It depends on the size of the class. A lot of professors know my name because I'm in smaller classes. If you go to the professor's office hours they'll get to know you on a first-name basis. My favorite classes are sociology classes. Least favorite are math related classes, only because it isn't my strongest subject. Some students barely study and their grades reflect that. I study hard for my grades. The conversations you have with people outside of class depend on the type of people you surround yourself with. Students can be competitive. The requirements are okay, they require you to get a rounded education which is good. Most of the classes that I have taken to fulfill the requirements have been interesting and I enjoyed them. The education is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake.

Raj

The school programs are phenomenal and the football team is doing really great this season. Going to events and being involved on campus really makes this a fun place. There are a wide range of courses and majors offered here, but it is difficult to choose a major for that reason. The wide selection allows for lots of opportunities to learn interesting things.

Dances, concerts, community service... everything is available

Very diverse. Has every kind of person including racist people.

Most professors want to know your name and are very helpful. Learn a lot more than you'd expect.

The stereo type is pre-med and asians. The stereo type is right to a tee. I am not pre-med

Seth

When I first came to Stony Brook, I didn't have an overall opinion of the school. But now after a year and a half, I have made my own opinion based on experience. Even though there are problems with administration and the Undergraduate Student Government, Stony Brook is a very good place to be for undergraduates in terms of the education you get, groups to get involved with, and the people you get to know. The education in the school of journalism is top notch. Many of the journalism professors come from Long Island's Newsday, and some are even on staff there while they teach. I can't speak for other majors but of the other classes that I have taken that aren't in my major they have been taught by people who are knowledgeable of their field of study. There are so many different groups to get involved with, it's kind of overwhelming. One of the days that shaped my opinion of Stony Brook was the Involvement Fair; from the fraternities/sororities, to the five different student press organizations, to the multitude of sports teams (both intramural and division teams), and so many more I was blown away by what Stony Brook has to offer to get involved. I know I'm talking about a lot of positive things about my school, but is also a negative side. We don't have a college town. On the weekends it can get pretty depressing if you don't have anything to do. There is a Weekend Council that is supposed to schedule events, but they are scattered and don't happen every day of the weekend. Many students commute from the surrounding Long Island area so when they leave for the night/weekend suddenly there are no more fun events to go to. The price of food is another hot topic as it's hard to eat a full meal without spending over $10. But there are a lot of food options, yet it's very hard to find a healthy meal.

For every interest that someone can have, there is a group to join, but if you want to start your own new group you need at least five people who are interested in starting it with you. But that shouldn't be too hard. Becoming active on campus was one of the most important things to me when I got to Stony Brook. Many of my peers just stayed in their rooms all day playing video games and I knew I just didn't want to be that kind of person. I wanted to be the kind of person who tried out many different activities in order to find my niche(s). I am passionate about a lot of different organizations on campus. I am on E-Board for the ballroom dance team as their treasurer. I came to Stony Brook knowing they had a ballroom dance team and I knew I wanted to be a part of it. At orientation, the orientation leaders know the people to talk to about joining any organization you want to, just let them know what you're interested in and they will surely point you in the right direction.That's takes up a lot of my time but that doesn't mean there isn't time for other organizations. I am a member of Students Empowered Against Sexual Assault (SEASA) which works to educate students on what sexual assault is and how to prevent it on our campus. I am also a member of the undergraduate literary magazine, Spoke the Thunder, where I help vote written and artistic pieces in to the magazine and work on the production staff to layout the magazine. As a journalism major, I knew it would be important to join a publication on campus. I decided to join the Statesman because they are the oldest on campus publication with a good reputation. Stony Brook pride at sports games is so intense. I love going to basketball and football games because everyone wears red and students get to sit in the red zone where they chant for the whole game. If you come to Stony Brook with no pride, go to a sports game and that should get you pumped about our school. There is always some kind of lecture going on at night usually with some knowledgeable speaker. Or there are activities run by organizations happening all the time, usually at night and on weekends and often have free food, which is a major bonus but usually the food disappears quickly. Since the weekends tend to get boring, I decided to get an off campus job, which sets me up with hours on the weekends and Fridays when I don't have class. I recommend getting a job either on campus or off campus, if you have a car, but don't overwhelm yourself. I waited until sophomore year to get a job, and now I can't imagine life here without one.

As I have said before, I have met many different kinds of students at Stony Brook. We have an Interfaith Center on campus that represents all religions. I am Jewish but I haven't joined any Jewish faith groups on campus because they scared me away when the rabbi wouldn't talk to my non-Jewish friends. As for socio-economic backgrounds, they really vary. Many students wear their Gucci to class, while others have a hard time paying tuition by their second week at school. But there's never a worry about not being accepted because every student at Stony Brook is a seawolf and we really bond over that fact once you're here. You just have to join the kind of clubs you want to get involved in and make a life around those groups and the friends you make in your building and never let an opportunity go to make a new friend. Stony Brook is having an Occupy Wall Street inspired protest on Wednesday but I have met students who are Republicans at heart and would be against OWS at Stony Brook. I sometimes wish that there weren't clubs and organizations that defined themselves by their racial or ethnic background because it really doesn't allow other students to become involved in what they want to. For example groups like the Phillipine Union Student Organization (PUSO) is defined by their ethnicity so other students who might want to get involved in the PUSO Modern Dance Crew feel like they can't because they aren't Filipino.

I have heard every kind of stereotype about Stony Brook students, from potheads to total nerds to party animals. And for every stereotype there is a group of students that do tend to gravitate towards their tendencies, like at any university. There are students who party on Thursday through Saturday every weekend, but there are also those who do not take their heads out of their books. Stony Brook is a diverse university with many unique individuals and groups of students who just want to make the best of their time in college. Being a student of journalism, I get the stereotype that I'm creative but lazy pothead. This stands next to many students at Stony Brook who major in the sciences. But that is not true. I work hard for my grades in the journalism school. I'm up late doing work most nights because I'm a journalism major. But there are probably some journalism students who live the "creative but lazy pothead" stereotype, as there are with any other major and the stereotypes about their students.

Amy

My classmates are fun, helpful, understanding, and always ready to help.

My classmates are fun, helpful, understanding, and always ready to help.

I would tell myself to not be so shy and once I got to college to be more active my freshman year. I should join more clubs and be more open with people and talk to them. That way I'm able to make friends easier and not rely on one person continuously introducing me to people and I can make my own friends, which I did eventually. But I should have done it from the beginning.

A person that doesn't like big communities or big classes. Someone who needs more one on one attention and help.

Nicoya

They are respectful of the professor and generally offer help or guidance to their peers.

Business and medical studies and careers.

I would definitely have to tell myself to not even second guess the decisions I made about career choice and college choice. Since kindergarten, as my year book from that time states, I have always wanted to be in the medical field and when in High School I did think about changing that career path. With changing that path I thought about changing my first choice for a secondary education which was Stony Brook University, the college I attend. Now that I have finished my first year and I feel more positive than ever that the medical career, more specifically Developmental Psychiatry, was the right choice. Along with choosing this amazing school. I would have to go back and tell myself not to worry about feeling alone and left out because the amount of new friends that I have made that feel like family took those feelings away in an instant. I was worry about course work then but not anymore. I will now be able to reassure myself that I can do this all the way to the finish line because I successfully made it past stage one.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.