Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Natsumi

College expereince is not simply to learn new subjects or ways of thinking but also interacting with people. What one learns in class is important but the connections you make in those classes are equally important as well. I learned new ways of thinking, gaining skills and ideas but steps in overcoming the wall of my anti social behavior. It may help that I truly enjoy school but attending classes and participating and in class activities I have been able to express what I think. I have slowly but surely been able to put forth my ideas and views to other instead of sitting and saying nothing. I have gained more confidence and social skills needed to interact with my peers expanding my inter and intrapersonal skills. Attending college is a valuable experience not just for the schooling but for the social experience as well.

So far, I've gotten more than I thought I would out of my college experience. I've learned proper techniques for treating patients and I've learned more about being a professional and using teamwork to get things done than I ever have before. This alone has made it very valuable for me because these are the things I'm going to need to know once I graduate and get out into the field and am able to use my skills. Everything I've been taught and will be taught are all necessary and are all very useful and important. I'm very happy that my college incorporates all this into its curriculum and that the students get the best training so that they're ready to do things on their own when it's time.

Jian

Stony Brook University is a scientifically motivated college dedicated to improve the standards of technology through educating students.

The worst thing about my school is having students with confirmation biases on our famous "Stony Brook unhappiness" rankings. It makes me feel uneasy that our consistent high unhappiness rankings are based on the inaccurate sample of students.

I believe that this cliche is very true, "Life is what you make of it." The quote also deduces that college is also what you make of it. Earlier in the school year, I was afraid to meet new people because I am an introvert. I did not make any friends the first week until club fair day arrived. I registered for a few clubs. As time passed, I attended their meetings and met new people. I became more sociable and currently has a group of close friends. I strongly believe that attending college is the first step to independence. Especially if you are going to live in dorms, college is all about balancing your own classes, work, study, and party. Any imbalance would cause unneeded stress. College is also valuable to attend because you get to live away from your lecturing parents. Over time, I realized how much I missed them and the things they do for me makes me appreciate them more. College is fun.

Tara

What can I say about college that hasn't already been said? I believe that it is everything that it's cracked up to be; it's a perfect way to learn about living on your own, it's a perfect place for kids to grow up and take responsibility for their own selves and their actions, it's a perfect place to party. There's nothing like college; it is an experience in and of itself that no one could possibly understand as well as someone who has experienced it for themselves. I would never recommend that anyone pass up going away to college, mainly because there's nothing else like it. Four years of learning, partying, and just living...I believe that you'll learn more in college than you will during any other time in your life, and if that's not valuable, then I don't know what is.

The best thing about this school to me is that it is known to be in the top 1% of colleges in the country, as well as being significantly cheaper than most other schools at its level of academic excellence. But mainly I like it because of how close I am to home, and the fact that there's a LIRR station right on campus.

shailee

In some peoples eyes, they view getting a college education as an expensive burden uneseccary to achieve. Today I am ashamed to say that my first year of college ended a few weeks after it started because of the same poor prespective. After a few months of experienceing life as a "looser", I realized that I was so stupid and there was no way I was going to end up like the people I was associating with. Education isnt just a way to increase earning potential, its also apart of the human life. Without it you still learn from experiences but why would anyone want to limit themselves to only that! This year I was so excited to start school that I couldnt wait for summer to end. Part of being human should include taking every opportunity to learn more and more. My view of college now is completely different. It is valuable for its important role in helping me exceed the "natural man". Even though the price of attending college is expensive, the value you get out of it can not be placed at any price. Instead it remains an experience that provides you with unlimited blessings and opportunities.

Heather

Many of my classmates are dedicated and goal oriented students, many students have goals to go on to graduate school and other Ph.D. programs.

I wish that I would have known how good of a school Stony Brook really is. There is so much that they have to offer.

Before attending Stony Brook I went to a community college and I didn't really know what direction I wanted to take. When I recieved my Associates degree, I knew that I wanted to continue my education. Attending Stony Brook University has really pushed me into a direction in life. The teachers and faculty members at Stony Brook Univeristy know how important it is to succeed and have a good education, this is why the course work is challenging, there is a low tolerance level to failure and there is always so much to learn. Research is highly encouraged and there are so many different oppourtunities for anyone who wants to do research to get involved with it. When I got involved in a Psych research lab at Stony Brook, I was so excited to be apart of something so valuble. I learned in a different way that helped to open up new doors for me and push me even further into a carrier goal. I am now so excited to be graduating in December with a Bachelors in Psychology and I cannot wait to further my education by going to grad school and possibly even a Ph.D. program.

Rubiya

Hard working and focused.

Hard working and focused.

After staring college I realized how many dedicated and hardworking students there are out there, just like me. It is refreshing to see that today's youth is not only concerned with pop culture and partying. There are students out there who are highly motivated and know exactly what they want from life. I've met so many students who don't want success for the money but rather for the platform it gives them to help people. I'm glad I attend an institution that is predominantly science. I am with hundreds of other pre-med students and instead of competing with each other, we all help one another with information and ways to get into medical school. I don't think any other school prepares students for medical school as well as Stony Brook does. We have an insane amount of work but we know it's for our best so instead of complaining, we do it. I value each and every friend I have made because these are some serious superstars who are going far in life. Hopefully I can continue on in this journey with them as well.

People who want to go into research or the medical sciences.

Kathiana

My classmates are hardworkers who manage to squeeze a little fun into their schedules.

Anyone looking for a rigorous college education at a low and affordable cost, as well as anyone who is looking for a university that has the perfect balance of work and play should consider attending Stony Brook.

College was a new and exciting experience for me. It made me take on more responsibility, but it's worth it knowing that I am getting closer to accomplishing my goals. I've gotten new insight to how this world works, and I wouldn't give up what I've learned for the world. College isn't all work and no play. It's about finding the right balance between the two. Being a focused student can help you find that balance, and make your college experience the couple of years of your life.

Rinzin

I've gained self confidence and my leadership heightened to a great extent. I'm more involved, more mature and I'm a more experienced individual ready to face the challenges of the world. I've also met some of my best friends and I made connections with faculty members. I love it!

Personally, I love Stony Brook because I love nature and there are a lot of trees and there is a pond which is absolutely fantastic. It is a big school with apprx. around 10,000 or probably more students. People at the campus are really friendly and helpful. So I'd strongly suggest everybody to be more open and not feel hesitant to ask questions. I can guarantee that they'd be more than happy to guide you to shaping your future.

Mikalie

Stony Brook University is an excellent research facility which happens to teach, but with a wide variety of clubs to satisfy other interests as well.

Living your life usually means that everything has more impact, whether triumph or mistake. College can be the first chance anyone has to make real mistakes, the kind that can change your life. If you're lucky, someone grabs you by the throat and kicks you back to where you're supposed to be before you fall too far. If not, you might just be out of luck for the decade. I have learned that balance doesn't always require everything. One experience is taking far too many courses, all of which are notorious for workload, and joining two or three clubs at the same time. Failure in any one of these commitments is an excellent teacher. There are only twenty-four hours in the day, only fifteen weeks in a semester. Once those have been filled to capacity, something will break. I learned more from my classes than I ever thought possible, but not all of it was taught. The most important thing I?ll take from college is balance.

This school?s innovative science and engineering departments is renowned for its research, much of it in biomedical engineering. Many pivotal concepts originated here, including the inventions of the lifesaving drug ReoPro? and an ultrasound treatment to speed bone healing as well as the MRI, which won the Nobel Prize for Medicine. In other fields, Stony Brook researchers developed a thermoplastic paint for bridges and buildings made from old plastic bottles and the smallest possible electronic switch, as well as discovering the smallest primate in the world and identifying and recording 328 far galaxies.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.