Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Jacob

Stony Brook Southampton is uniquely diverse, as a whole we look to better our futures by improving our surrounding ecosystems...

Some one who is wastefull or some one who does not care about our enviroment.

I am currently a student at Stony Brook Southampton College, the main focus of our college is to understand environmental issues and find ways to correct the errors that our predecessors have created. As a student of Marine Science and sustainable studies I am very concerned about the impact of mankind on earth. I feel as if college is just a stepping stone in which I will find and hone influential tools to help me impact my community and hopefully the world. I currently have invested my own money into my own personal project to create small easily maintained, gardens that can fit inside your window, if a fraction of us owned a personal garden we could ease our constant demand from our earth. I would love to not only continue this project but I would love to see it spread and prosper not only through my campus but throughout the world. I am using the latest technologies, to create an optimal environment for soilless farming. My ultimate goal in life, not only in college is to turn the clock backwards, and to diminish the constant draining of our environments resources.

Hayley

There were a lot of interesting courses offered, the library was awesome and had great hours, and the academic counciling was very good. The Staller Center for the Arts was a great center to see performing arts as well as meet people who where interested in arts. I had a lot of very dedicated and passionate teachers in the English department.

My experience at SUNY Stony Brook University helped me determine who I am today. It gave me the opportunity to be as social as I wanted while more importantly offering me interesting courses in my English Major. The passionate teachers inspired me the most out of my entire experience. I visited teachers at their offices many times throughout my two years there and the information still helps me today. I was a student who wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, and the teachers and academic councilors who I spoke to while I attended Stony Brook helped me head in the right direction. My college experience was valuable to me because I needed direction, education, and experience. I received all of these as well as great food at Jasmine and culture at the Staller Arts Center. College in general gave me experiences with students from all different backgrounds and helped me further my knowlege. I believe that we as humans should never stop learning, and college helped me continue through a stage in my life where I was unsure of where to go or what to do next. I wouldn't change it.

I wish I had known about the parking situation- there aren't many commuter-friendly parking lots. The campus seems to be oriented towards students who live on campus.

Jaclyn

The best thing about Stony Brook is the great academics, especially in the sciences, and the willingness of the professors to help. I enjoy all of my classes because they are interesting and well taught. The professors teach in a way to help students actually understand instead of memorize. Also, all of the slides are online for further review. Lastly, they're always available during office hours or by email.

The two most important things I've gotten out of my college experience are knowledge and responsibility. I have already learned so much in my classes from my first semester at college that I find so interesting. I especially love my psychology classes, since it is my major. I am so fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to continue my education and work towards a future in the medical field. It's hard to believe that not too long ago women weren't able to attend school or have certain careers, so I am proud to be able to attend undergraduate college and hopefully continue forward to medical school. The second most important thing I've learned is responsibility. Since I am dorming, I am learning how to live on my own and manage my time and money. Living at home, I didn't have much responsibility while I was in high school. Now that I'm on my own, I am doing laundry, ironing, cleaning, and studying without being prompted. This was definitely a step I had to take in order to learn responsibility and become more independent.

Stony Brook is a very large school, which mean very large lecture hall classes. It is sometimes frustrating to be in such a large class because you don't get as much individualized instruction. Also, you don't get to meet and interact with your classmates as much in a large lecture than in a small class.

Karen

My classmates range in all ethnicities and are intelligent in their field.

My classmates range in all ethnicities and are intelligent in their field.

I would tell myself not to be afraid. I remember worrying about the transition from high school to college and moving away from home. The transition will be smooth because I know that you wanted independence and a chance to "see" the world. Well you will get that chance and you will be happy. Do not stress out just remember that you have to practice prioritizing your time and work. Also all those stories about lots of parties and gaining the freshman fifteen are true...well kind of. Of course there will be parties but only if you seek it, if not, you will hardly know they are there. Also in your case, it will be freshman ten, so remember to stop your late night habits of snacking and eating in front of your computer. Moreover on academics, take classes that interest you, lots of people are unsure of their future so you are not alone. Finally, these four years will be great, make the most of it. Take in the new experiences and dare to explore your passions and take some risks. You will be just fine.

A student who wants a big campus and lots of majors to choose from. This university is ideal for those who wants to be able to live away from home yet have the opportunity to travel to the nearby New York City. The students on campus are diverse and Stony Brook being a SUNY is an affordable choice for great academics.

Angela

Stony Brook University has great programs for students to interact with one another. There are social events and encourage clubs and different organizations to form on campus. This gives us more options and gives us the freedom to express ourselves.

People who are looking for a very strong student teacher relationship shouldn't attend this school. Basically, students go to lectures and learn most of it from reading on their own. Although, the professors are helpful at times, they don't have enough time to care for each student. To make up for it, they bring in TA's to take their place instead. Also, people who are looking for a school with school spirit shouldn't attend either. This school doesn't have much of a school spirit and on that subject, it's pretty much a dead area.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior year, I would advise myself to put an end to procrastination and socialize. The transition from high school to college is a huge step and it's crucial to make sure you don't fall into the open gaps in between. Parents and teachers always told me to get rid of unhealthy habits and start focusing on what's important. Leaving things off til the last minute was always a part of me and a bad habit at that. Continuing this habit into college caused me to drop down from an A to a C, which ultimately affected my grades and slowly started to eat away my future ambitions and goals. Grades are important but socializing and forming a social network is crucial as well. Whatever career you choose to pursue, it relates to business. Business isn't accomplished alone but through the strong bond and network of people who support each other to reach the top. It is crucial to network with people on campus and create a strong foundation that will help you go up the ladder and rise to the top.

Samara

I would tell myself to make sure that when I got to college, I would not get distracted. I should always stay focused on excelling in my grades, never allowing myself to get too tired. Even when times get stressful, continue persevering and keep my eyes focused on the goal. "Success in any line of work demands a definite aim" (Ellen White)

Maria

Very studious, but will go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Very studious, but will go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Stony Brook is most well known as a research university with many student majoring in the sciences. However, Stony Brook also has a great liberal arts program. Stony Brook is also well known for its diversity. Many different cultures, ethnicities, etc attend Stony Brook so everyone is welcome.

If I could go back I would tell myself that starting at a community college was the best thing for me. In high school I was upset that while my friends would be going away and to four year schools I would start at a community college. I would tell myself that community college is not a "reject place." Instead it would be a chance for me to find out what I really wanted to do with my life. Going to a community college first helped me realize my dream of going to Stony Brook University where I currently am.The small class size and individual teacher attention at the community college is what I needed at that time. The key thing though that I would tell myself is that I was not a failure for going to community college and that instead I was doing something that was smart for me.

Katelynn

Stonybrook University is a mixture of different cultures all united for one purpose: Education.

Just breathe! This is a time period where everything in your life is probably changing. You're graduating high school and becoming an adult! Scary right?! But just remember: you're not going through this alone. When you arrive at your campus you're going to be overwhelmed with mixed emotions of excitement and fear. But so is every other freshmen that you meet. So don't judge anybody because you're all alike in that matter. It doesn't matter what ethnicity or race you are, what town you come from, or if you were the captain of the football team. Everyone's anxious about this experience. Embrace these people because they will become you're friends and you're support system. There will be days when you love the college life and others when you're going to wonder why you're even there. Stick out the rough times because it'll be worth it. Go to your classes! They're difficult and require more time and hard work than high school did. But you can do it if you stay focused. Go into the experience open minded, give it 100% and you'll get 200% back!

I would have like to known more about the class sizes. The freshmen classes are huge. and I personally do better in classroom settings that can offer more one on one attention.

Colby

I wish I had known how expensive food was, I would have better budgeted my meal plan.

If I were able to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take every day as it comes. Each day is another opportunity to make a friend and develop a relationship with someone from whom you can learn so much. These friends can be there for you your entire life and would do anything for you. Love and take care of each other.

Deborah

I would tell myself that it is important to learn time management. I've made some great friends here but we have very different schedules due to our different course selections, and therefore I'd need to know that I cannot assimilate myself according to my friends' work habits. As a chemical engineering intended major, I'm bound to come across some demanding work and sometimes I'll have to sacrifice some social events in order to succeed. I also had a boyfriend my freshman year and that hindered me from experiencing college life. I am now participating in a few clubs and have even performed on stage for a cultural event night. I've met some great people outside my usual group of friends by going to tutoring sessions, study groups, and professional office hours. I would encourage myself to take part in intramurals for sports I've never even played before, just for the heck of it. Though I've never won any championship, i had a lot of fun. Most of all, I'd tell myself to have better sleeping habits. I've learned the hard way that a bad rest WILL affect your performance.

I wish i knew that the weekends were so dead here. You forget that it's a commuter school and therefore most people are not around during the weekends. There is also less dining options offered over the weekend due to the immense decrease in number of students.

I am lucky enough to live in a suite, and luckily i was able to choose not only my roomate but suitemates as well. We have a common room and we're able to throw parties or even just hang out together in larger amount of space.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.