Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

stephanie

My current school is very large, but it has a very good teacher program for prospective teachers as well as a great biology program which is what I plan to teach one day.

My classmates are all brilliant and they make it very interesting learning at school.

Knowing what I do now as a college freshman, I would tell myself to take all the AP classes I could so I could be farther ahead in my studies than I am now. I would also tell myself to go out and visit the college, as I failed to do that the first time. Also, I would tell myself to really make sure the campus environment is what I am comfortable with, my current college is far to big for me and I made the wrong choice the first time, but I recently applied to a smaller scale school that I hope to attend next year. Along with this, I would tell myself to not be afraid to make friends and be myself. Being a shy person in high school it carried over to college and I found it a little diffiult to find people like myself and make friends. But in the end I have found many great friends I hope to keep throughout my life.

Jaslin

I would say that this college needs the students to be organized and well aware of our duties. For example, we need to check our SOLAR account on the school website on a daily basis to see if we have any bills to pay, check our GPA, or any holds that a department has put on our account. BLACKBOARD requires us to check our homework reguarly. Such softwares tests how responsible we are as a student. If we show no promptness in these affairs then obviously our grades reflect it consequently. Also, I had been less interactive with fellow students and faculty memebrs. One of the main skills to be acquired when coming out of college is to have strong communication skills. If I was about to go under the college transition, I would advise myslef to be more interactive so as to know about different college events and get more friends. Forming study group with the classmates helps tremedously. It helps ease off the anxiety of midterms and exams along with studying diligently and helping each other.

The most frustating thing about my college is its inactive student body. Very few people compared to more than 20,000 students take active pursuit in athletics. Most of the throng either prefers to be in their dorms or studying in the library. In addition to that, I would say that even though the school made an attempt to make mathematics less daunting by making Math Learning Center (tutoring center provided by Teacher's Assistants in campus), there is a problem in the availibilty of more TAs and half of them fail to come on time.

I say that my school provides one of the best education there is in all teh fields of study. It has more than 100 majors and the research facility is on the par. Stonybrook has given rise to successful scientists, engineers and even actors and musicians. It has achieved so much in such a short period of time. Recently, the nobel prize for Chemistry went to group of scientists and one of them is a faculty memeber of Stony Brook! Such accomplishment is praiseworthy.

As a commuter, a lot of the system is against you. Where you have to park on campus and then the transportation to class is just a hassle, unless ur going to pay a ton of extra money. I live 20 minutes away from the school and I have to leave at least an hour before class to guarentee I'm there on time not even early because of the transportation. It is also hard to make a schedule this way you don't have long breaks on campus as a commuter.

Someone who is very acadmically oriented should attend the school. The person should want to go far in their studies and they should know mostly what they are looking to do. People who are willing to put the time and effort into their work will love the school.

I would tell myself: College and the transition into this new lifestyle is tough enough, so choose what you feel is best for you. Don't let others influence you whether it be family or friends. When you get to college you are an adult whether you choose to be or not. Being 18 or just in a college class won't allow for your parents or friends to help with the class. So make sure you visit the colleges your interested in and feel out what is best for you even if it means going against what your parents say. In the end you are paying for your education with loans out in your name so go somewhere that will bring you happiness and will teach you the most. Doing what's best for you will be the best decision you have ever made.

Rashad

If I could go back in time to give myself advice about the college transition, I wouldn't tell myself anything. As a matter-a-fact, I wouldn't waste the electricity, gas, or whatever powers my time machine to even go. I don't believe in destiny but I do believe that adversity builds character and by depriving myself of the opportunity to flounder a little bit at the beginning of my academic career I might not be half the student and person that I am as I am writing this. At the end of my first semester of college, my cumulative GPA was 0.87 but by the time that I graduated four years later my GPA was 3.1. I think that people, myself included, learn best from first-hand experience so giving myself any advice I'd be doing myself a huge disservice, in addition to invoking the Grandfather Paradox of timetravelling.

Some of the on-campus housing is abysmal. Several of the buildings are in dire need of renovations and Stony Brook has been accepting more residential students than it can realisitically house so there is an overcrowding problem. Aside from that, there needs to be more activities on Fridays and the weekends as the campus is a proverbial ghostown.

Paula

My classmates are incredibly diverse in many ways, including race, ethnicity, temperment, professional and academic goals, and non-academic interests.

This school is best known for its research in the sciences. It is particularly known for research in theoretical physics, applied chemistry and biology, and medicine.

When I began in college, I vowed to work as I possibly could to excel academically. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be less critical of my academic performance. Overall, I would tell myself to try to foster a balanced life, including but not limited to academic achievement. More specifically, I would try to instill in myself the value of continuing community service, an activity that always made me feel fulfilled, throughout college - instead of putting academics before everything. I would emphasize that there is no need to feel guilty for making the time to develop friendships, and that time for myself is just as important as academic excellence. Additionally, I would make sure to let myself know that reading books for pleasure isn't slacking off, and that reading the newspaper every day is just as important as completing my academic comittments. I would tell my self to keep in my mind the end goal of making a positive difference in the lives of others, and to not let my motivation for academic success crush my love of learning.

Mohammed

I've pondered many times about the idea of the abilityof me to be able to go back in time. I would have so much advice and insight that I could give to myself that would of really help me for the first semester of college. The thing that suprised me the most was how much you really have to read in college. I always knew that you had to spend a lot of time reading, but after experiencing college myself, do I kow how much there is. I would tell myself to grab books and read them not once but two to three times. Never in my life have I had to read the same thing several times. Taking chemistry my first semester opened my eyes and readied my brain to prepare reading endless chapters of the same topics. The biggest tansition from High School to College to me is, the reading and studies. If I could, I would tell, not only myself or every High School senior but to every High School student to read as much as they can becasue thats really the best way to prepare for work, and level of complicity in a College.

I wish I would known how competetive Stony Brook really is. I made a disjudgment on labeling Stony Brook as a not so competetive school, but being a major in the medical field I see that I can't take this school for granted.

Although the school is very diversed, there is still a lack of clash of the different cultural groups. After living on campus, I have noticed that many of the same or similar cultural groups tend to stick together rather hanging out with other races.

Jonathan

This campus is very diverse. I don't think you will find any place with such a wide variety of students. There are people of every race, sexual orientation, religion, and background. At Stony Brook, you find people interested in the things YOU are interested in, because there are so many groups and clubs to take part in. Clubs range from ethnic clubs, a very accepting LGBTA , activist groups, and activity groups such as Archery, Capoiera, and Anime. Theres something here for everyone, but it requires people to be involved. And if you are involved, friends are guaranteed.

To have fun on this campus, you have to be involved. There are alot of clubs and activities to take part in and when you take part in such things, you feel a sense of school spirit that has been growing stronger each year. As a freshman, I joined the Marching Band, LGBTA, and Geology Club. All of these things allowed me to do so much and made me happy throughout the year, whether it was because I was cheering on the football team or rowing a boat made out of cardboat and duct tape across the pond.

If i were to go back in time and give myself advice about college, i would tell myself to broaden my horizons and get involved on campus. In college, one deals with many new experiences and situations and if that person can keep an open mind, each situation will be a learning experience that will not only teach that person something new, but allow them to have fun with something they don't usually experience. People go to college to educate themselves, but they should educate themselves not only in the classroom, but outside the classroom. They need to interact with others and learn about the experiences others have lived through and through the sharing of information, both people leave the situation wiser because they can now relate to others more and learn more about themselves in the process, which will help them interact with others in the future. College prepares people for problems they will face in the real world such as maintaining relationships with others and the testing of one's beliefs and ideas. If one enters college with an open mind, whatever they learn during their four or five years there will last them a lifetime.

Caitlin

We are the geeks, nerds, and braniacs of the SUNY system, but we'll show you a good time, always with a touch of class.

Hey Cait. Yeah, Cait, that's what they'll call you in college. No more Catie B. So, just like you thought, college is going to be everything you want and more. You're finally going to find your best friends. I have a couple words of advice though. Don't get that job at the Telefund; you're going to hate it and feel bad for asking all those people for money. Being a telemarketer is a bad idea. There's going to be this great group of people called Pocket Theatre. You'll want to be spending your time there. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Your life will be so much easier if you don't try to handle it all on your own. SBU has such a great network of people that are there to help you. Your professors, unlike the majority of your high school teachers, realize you're a human being and that sometimes human beings have legitimate problems. Be open to new things. You're going to meet all sorts of people and your best friends are going to be the people you least expect. Most of all, be yourself.

Stony Brook has a diversity that you'll be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. We have students that come from all over the world; you'll hear 20 different languages being spoken just walking across campus. I come from a small one-stoplight town where, though the nearby military base creates an influx of new people every now and then, I have known my classmates all my life. I had no problem transitioning to such a big school though, because SBU res life has made sure that no student gets lost in the bustle of the big campus.

Kayse

Stony Brook is quite different from what I have experienced in grade school. The campus is huge and it seems as if you never run into the same individual twice. With the lecture halls being so huge its hard to make any new friends. But my friends from high school have helped me out during classes, and made sure that I reach my deadlines for homework. There are various ethnicities at Stony Brook so its a great way to learn about other cultures and helps individuals keep an open mind about the world around them.

If I had the ability to go back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to do the best, because I feel as if I didn't do as well as I am capable of doing this semester. I would tell myself to read the lecture notes after each lecture so that I am sure that I understood what happened in class. Also to never do the homework at the very last minute. We are given a schedule of the homework at the beginning of the semester, so to just pay attention to that and keep my priorities in order. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions, if I am not sure why I had received a certain grade in that class. By asking questions, I would be able to know what I can improve on for the next homework, and maybe even get a better grade. I would also advise myself to try to prepare for orientation day because that was when we made our first semester schedules, and if we take too long at orientation, the classes we want may be full when we're done.

What I love about Stony Brook is that the school tries to create events for its students, and I feel as if everyday there is some event, although you may not know about it. Every Wednesday we have "Student Life," where most of the events are located at the Students Center. For Homecoming Week we had music, blow-ups, free popcorn and cotton candy, and tons of fun. Also throughout the year we had events at the same location such as lasor-tag, relax-a-thon, comedy show, "Happy Hour," and dances. I also enjoy exploring the campus.

Alexa

Stony Brook has an amazing school of journalism coupled with a welcoming environment for new students.

Stony Brook is best known for its high standards and low tuition costs.

College is nothing you expected. The freedom you've been imagining since the beginning of the year is not as care-free as you might think. College is difficult. You'll have to deal with roommates, classes and adjusting to being completely on your own. Know that you can handle whatever comes, but also know that your family is there to rely on. Admitting you need a bit of advice or help from mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't get caught up in stress over the little things. College only comes once, and it's time to enjoy the full experience. Stay focused on your goals and you'll go far, but don't sacrifice possible friendships and bonds with others that didn't come as easily in high school. Dealing with roommates will be difficult at first but it is crutial to keep an open mind. Enjoy the last few days of high school, but know that college is truly your time to shine.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.