Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Avesta

this is a great school for health professions

this is a great school for health professions

If I could go back to being a high school senior and knew what I knew now, I would certainly made different choices from the choice that I made. Number one, I would meet with an advisor in the program of study that I was interested in the school that I was interested in. I would then attend all the information sessions of the schools that were offering the program that I was interested in. I would also take very specific notes at those sessions about all their requirements and keep a note book. I would join a group that provide support and information about the program that I am interested in. for example stony brook nursing offers a pre-nursing society that helps perspective students get information from students that are already in the program on how to strengthen their application. And last but not least, I would research all available financial aid available for students that are interested in the particular area of study that I want to attend and apply to all of them.

we have leading scientist in their field that have the most current knowledge in their field teaching in their area of expertise.

Ross

The ones that I hang out with are kind and generous but the others are really rude.

I wish I had known what undergraduate college would determine what quad I was placed in my freshman year.

My dearest friend, I would like to advise you to apply to all of the Ivy League schools as well as Stony Brook and Texas A&M. It would be satisfying to say that you at least got into any of those schools. Stony Brook is a great fit and remember that life is way different once you meet new people. It is scary at first but, as I am sure you will do, put yourself out there to meet new people and become friends with many of them. Do not stress about the RA position, it gets easier with time, and do not get in over your head with extra curricular activities, it is not worth the stress and time devoted to it. As for school, work hard at it and you will do fine. Keep the focus and go towards that original goal. Love what you do every day and do not regret your actions. Feel free to socialize a bit more when it comes to the ladies, but also do not let it affect your school work. Take advantage of the resources provided for you and appreciate the love and support from your family.

Catherine

Looking back at my high school experience I would have to say that one of the most important aspects of college is the balance between a social life and the academic one. For me all of my social events always happened in school, an over participants in all school activities and events. I only allowed this to happen because my High Schools course load was slim to none, I was in all AP and Honors classes, so all my efforts went into things outside the classroom. I always knew that what happened in HS would transfer into college but I seen nothing wrong with what i did. Now a freshman in college, I have learned the hard way to keep a strict focus on my school work and if there is enough time, have a social life. After all, we are in college to get an education, having a social life is just a perk.

A person that should not attend Stony Brook University is one that is not willing to work for the grade that they want.

The worst thing about my school is the idea that the train station is right on campus. Although this is also a good thing, it hurts in the attempt to create a family atmosphere within the campus community because a majority of the students go home on the weekends.

keisha

It is very hard out in the "Real" world without a degree of some sort, and if you take your general classes and you are still unsure what you want your major to be maybe you will meet others just like you and they will give you some decent ideas, in regards to moving forward with a major. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and talk to your counselor, they are there to help you, ask any and all questions, remember, "there is no such things as a stupid question", and not asking questions can be more detrimental than asking questions. You might think you have all the answers, because it's your senior year, but life has only to begun for you. You can make wise choices, or unwise choices, but the the first step you must make is to pick a school, and sign up for classes, and that very well maybe the hardest thing you have to do, the first step is generally the hardest step, but if you take one step at a time, and ask questions, you will be juts fine, I promise.

Michelle

College is a place to learn about your career, but it's also a place where you learn more about yourself. The advice I'd give to myself is to try new things. I would advise myself to try every club, look into sororities, make new social groups, and just get out there and learn more about myself. I look back now, and I don't remember every class I've taken, or every grade I've received, but I do remember the friends I've met, and the chances I've had to try out new things but never did. If I could go back, I'd focus on school and my course work but I'd also focus on the social aspect of college more.

Astrid

My school is a fairly large campus with a great reputation, great teachers, it has many sports and clubs available, is very affordable and is able to open many doors for all it's students.

My classmates are diverse when it comes to ethnicity, religion and even majors but it is easy to get along and learn from them.

Having the chance to go back and talk to myself in my senior year of high school, after obtaining some experience in college the first thing I would tell myself is to study more and get into better study habits. The classes in college are much more intense than the ones I have had to take in High School and therefore I did not have to study as much as I do now, it is a hard transition going into college not knowing what to expect with the material given, exams and grading. But I do know you have to work hard for every good grade you plan to earn and achieve. Another tip going into college is to join extracurricular activities as soon as you start your freshman year. I waited for my sophomore year to join a sport and I am enjoying it so much, I love having something to do after classes, working out, traveling, meeting new people and gaining new experiences. My only regret is not joining a sport/club sooner. So going into college, study hard and a lot but also make room for activities you will enjoy.

Canden

There is a lot of racial and ethnic diversity. Many students are international or national exchange students like me. I am on exchange from the University of Memphis for one year. I am happy I am in New York. The campus has its own train station on campus and it takes about 2 hours to get into NYC on the LIRR. It does seem easier than it is in reality though. It is equally close to the Hamptons and the Long Island Beach areas. Serenity describes this campus very well. However, serenity can sometimes border boredom.

Don't make decisions based on fear, pressure, or other people. This is the one time in life that being selfish can help you succeed. Plans A, B, and C should all make you equally happy. Remember that roads tend to run parallel and just because you get on the wrong one, doesn't mean you have to turn around and go backwards to get to the road you were looking for. Sometimes continuing down that road, with open eyes and an open heart can take you exactly where you needed to be in the first place. Do not give into the myth that says where you go to school, what you major in and what sorority you join, etc., will make or break your college career and your life. Believe, instead, the truth that really it is YOU as an individual who will make or break yourself in this entire process. Maturity is not measured by a number of years, or how many things you have experienced in life. It is measured by how you choose to handle to obstacles you have been faced with. A failure can sometimes be a blessing in disguise; and lastly...Life goes on.

Someone who always needs something, other than studying, to do. The school is very academically focused (in part due to the large concentration of international students there for the sole purpose of getting a degree). Social activities are...a slowly evovling thing. Most kids go home or away on the weekend. Also, if you are from far away and do NOT have a car, think again. The campus is very rural and you need a car to get around and not feel trapped. There are buses and a train but it is more complicated than necessary sometimes.

Its a big school. Its hard to know what's going on, especiallly on the weekends. Its also kind of hard to find food before noon on weekends. The majority of the campus leaves on the weekends, but its nice to have it quiet for a few days. You need to know where to look for activities and join clubs. Joining clubs wil make you experience at Stony Brook very fulfilling. All in all, the campus can be quite dead, if you don't know where to look.

A person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who isn't motivated. You need to be motivated to talk to you professors if you need help. You need to do your work; no one will remind you. You need to be motivated to find someting fun to do in your down time. It isn't a majorly difficult school, but you need to do a lot of the work. Teachers won't come looking for people who need help. You need to go to them and ask. The burden of learning is more on you.

I would tell myself to study more. I have never really had a need to, and so never truly developed the skill. But now that I'm in college, I have a great need to study. I feel that those who studied in high school did far bettter because of it. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to not worry. Some of the courses I took were hard, but that doesn't mean that they were impossible. Worrying about it in high school did me no good. I would also tell my younger self to not worry about roommates. I ended up with two wonderful roommates. But worrying about it in high school didn't help the situation. Finally, I would tell my younger self that navigating through all of the paperwork is not impossible, and so therefore, don't become frustrated. It is all for your benefit, and it can help you.

Marsha

Knowing what I know now about college I would tell my past self to take my time when making decisions. I would tell myself to make sure I put myself first and not others. I would tell myself that sometimes it is not worth walking on the road less traveled. I would tell myself that it is okay to say no to people. I would tell myself to just double major in Health Sciences. I would tell myself to make sure I make friends and enjoy life. I would tell myself do let sorority life consume me. I would say " You can still love your organization and not let it consume you." I would tell myself "Just cuase a guy is nice to you that doesn't mean you have to date him, love him and marry him" I would tell myself to that it is okay to be selfish and put myself first because no one is really looking out for you, so you need to look out for yourself." I would also tell myself to just keep the resident assistant position. I would tell myself to have fun and enjoy.

Stony Brook is really hard and in the middle of nowhere.

Stony Brook has a big campus and its like a mini city.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.