Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Morgan

it is just the right size (in terms of # of students) it is in a good location, and it is a very well respected university

the student body is very diverse

in my major professors know my name other wise they do not. in general ed classes i feel as if i am just a number

i do not know i am a commuter and i am not involved with any programs

Casey

I guess the best thing about Stony Brook is that if you want to remain completely anonymous its very easy. I would change the RIDICULOUS paths that are completely unnecessary. There is absolutely no need to have 16 paths that swirl in all different directions when there could be just one that goes straight. I don't mind how large the school is, I sorta like just getting lost in the crowd. There's no obligation to talk to anyone. When I tell people I go to Stony Brook they usually ask if I like it because they've heard horror stories. I spend all of my time in class. Sometimes I'll go to the SAC in between classes but I pretty much go to class and then go straight home. There is no college town. Stony Brook's administration? I'd love to know what they do with my money. Besides making 200 paths, of course. The gunman on campus was the biggest recent controversy. But apparently now there was no gun? I don't think anyone really knows. Not many people are really school spirited. I'll always remember when I offered a girl my table in the cafeteria since I was leaving and there was no where else to sit and she was bitchy to me because it wasnt near a window. NOT ENOUGH SEATING IN THE SAC!!!

4 tables? I bet everyone sitting down is asian. Most students are liberal.

Not many professors know your name. I think my favorite class so far has been CLS215 with Professor Burrows. She is a fantastic teacher. I major in Sociology and I wish they had more clubs like the Psychology major has. I think some of the academic requirements are unnecessary. Like DEC D.

I'm involved with the College Republicans. Most of them are assholes and hate me.

Dale

Stony is huge, which gives students a chance to have new experiences and have to fend for themselves. I would like stony to have a better dining for students on diets. People usually admire stony. The recent contraversy is the gunman

I want a low fat dining option!!!! Something more than just salad. Maybe something vegan.

Most prof know my name. If you want good grades, itz best to seek out prof. My worst class is wst 103 with cromer (arghhh!) best would be clt 220 with mannir

Catherine

The best thing about Stonybrook is the opportunities that are presented to the students. Being involved in biology research, I have had the chance to meet so many professors who have really made great impacts in their fields. This is one of the perks of going to a research university. Honestly, I probably spend a majority of my time in the Student Union. The club that I am involved in meets there and it is good place to study. Stony Brook is really not a "college town." I really wish we were within walking distance to the main shopping areas and even the center part of town. This is probably the one thing I would like to change about Stony Brook. Without a car, I often feel very isolated. I feel that Stony Brook's administration is effecient at certain things, however the safety on campus needs to be bumped up a little. The most recent controvery was the gunman in our Studnet Activities Center. It was not handled very well and I felt uninformed. I would say that Stony Brook does not have a great about of school pride. Although at this year's homecoming, I feel it was pumped up a little bit and I felt connected to the school. I think it all depends on whether you are involved on campus and feel tied to it or not. I can't say that there is one experience I will always remember, but overall I have really enjoyed my time here and am glad I chose Stony Brook. Stduents often complain about the food, but now that I live in the apartments I can only complain about my own cooking.

I am part of Catholic Campus Ministry and I feel that it does not make others feel ot of place. We hold multi- cultural events and plan events with other religious groups. I would say that Stony Brook is very diverse and many different types of students interact. I can't say that the four tables would have designated groups. Students of all different groups seem to interact. Most Stonybrook students are from Long Island and NYC. I am not sure, but it is widely said that a majority of STony Brook is asian. I don't know if the statistics correlate, but I would ahve to agree. I would say that a majority of people I have interacted with in my classes and outside are left, but I don't know the exact statistics. I haven't really heard anyone discuss their future pay.

I would say that many people do leave on the weekends. I would say more so than at any other school. I do not feel that all Stony Brook students are unhappy, I would just say that maybe the students demonstrate a lack of school spirit.

Professors from my smaller history classes know my name and only some of those science professors from large 500 person classes do. I have made it a point to become involved in certain courses such as being a TA for organic chemistry and that has been a great way to get to know the professors. The students in my science classes are tremendously competitive. I feel that the academic requirements are fair, but I can see how they would be a little demanding for students who have not come in with credits from high school. The most unique class I have taken was Human Reproductive and Sexual Behavior. The entire class was based on that fact that human's are unique because of their evolved ability to throw. I feel that the History department offers a great amount of specific classes in a much smaller environment than my other science classes. I can't say that I have spent time outside of class with my professors except those that I am a TZ for and my research professor. I feel that Stonybrook is geared towards getting a job and moving on to higher education.

I would say the most popular groups are those based on ethnicity. In the corridor style halls they do, but not in suite style. Athletic events are not too popular except homecoming. I met my closest friends through people I knew before I came to stony brook and others were in my classes. If I was awake at 2 am on a tuesday I would be studying.

Probably the most common stereotype about Stony Brook is that a large percentage of students leave on the weekends. Many say that Stonybrook is largely a "commuter school." I would also say that many feel Stony Brook students are "unhappy" here.

Deb

The best thing about SBU is it's diversity. Students in Stony Brook are from all over the world! You can befriend anyone from any culture and there are groups and events for everyone to attend. I am not sure what I would change, because as many problems as there are, I am sure that people have tried, unsuccessfully, to address them, and there are so many variables to account for that I cannot think of a way to address them all. My school is the right size for me. If you want anonymity, or diversity, this school gives that opportunity. With such a large student body there are all kinds of students. I spend most of my time on campus either in my room or at work. Stony Brook, the town, has actively voted against turning Stony Brook into a college town. SBU is surrounded on all sides by woods which separate it from the community outside. On one side, where the train stops on campus, there are a few stores which cater to students, but for the most part, there is no "homey college town" feel, in contrast with, say, Amherst, Massachusetts. SBU administration is overly focused on publicity and press, and not focused enough on students' needs. The biggest controversy was the supposed "gunman" on campus and the emergency reaction to it (a total failure of coordination and successful communication). There is a limited amount of pride amongst students, especially since there are many international students and many cultures, which have their own priorities. Stony Brook is trying to inject pride in students but it is artificial and forced. Most frequent complaint of students are being screwed over by campus residence, high cost of campus foods, and the lack of effective weather management (clearing away snow, ice, etc).

There are strong presences from the three major religions on campus. There are also many cultural clubs and groups and an active LGBT association. Most student wear variations on jeans and tshirt to class. some wear pajamas, some sweats, but really low-key. Stony Brook is a great place where people of different cultures, religions and backgrounds interact and become friends. I am not sure about dining hall information, I don't eat in them. Most SBU students are from Long Island and New York City. Most students are from lower to middle middle class. Stony Brook has a group of politically passionate and active students, but most students are apathetic. There are left and right wing activists on campus, but students are more towards the left. A lot of the engineering students (of which there are many) are very job focused.

To some extent. Most SBU students are commuters, or partial commuters (they leave most weekends). School spirit is centralized in athletes and perhaps in sororities and fraternities. The administration is, like any large college's administration, lacking in many areas. Since SUNY SB is a research college, many of the professors are hired to do research, not to teach. But there are good and bad professors in each department. It is luck of the draw.

If you want to get to know professors, they will get to know you. Most students do not approach professors in lecture halls, or even smaller classes. You can get to know your professors if you try. My favorite classes are the DECs or the diverse education curriculum, they are the general education classes. Stony Brook requires you to take different categories of classes, and I loved my philosophy, sociology and theater classes. Many students study a lot, but an equal amount barely study at all. It depends on the circles you hang out in. There are students who spend most of the time in the library or other lounges studying. Class participation levels depends on the class attending. Some DEC classes which are fun and interactive have high participation levels, whereas some science and math class have little to no participation. SBU students often study together for tests or do cooperative work, outside of that I am not sure how much of an intellectual forum there is. My major is Physics. It is one of the founding departments at Stony Brook, and has a lot of very accomplished professors, postdocs, and graduate students working on innovative research. But on the undergraduate level it is quite small. I do not spend a significant amount of time with my professors outside of class. Stony Brook's requirements for most science majors are quite rigorous and you can get a good education if you try. As far as the education being applicable to jobs, I think that step you have to take yourself. There are internship opportunities offered to Stony Brook students which better prepare you for "the real world".

I don't have a good unbiased opinion of SBU groups/clubs. I am part of WISE (women in science and engineering) and a dj and assistant music director of stony brook's radio station WUSB. Many students are not involved with anything, or with a cultural club of their culture (Chinese Student Association, etc). I have not lived in a corridor dorm, only in suite-style dorms, and we never left suite door open, but within the suite, some people left their doors open, some didn't. Athletic events are semi-popular, especially those where they give away free tuition to a lucky attendant. Theater is semi-popular as well. SBU hosts many productions, concerts and similar events which are popular with the surrounding community, but not really the student body. I met my closest friends in my clubs, and in my classes. If I am awake at 2 am on Tuesday and not doing homework I am hanging out with friends or watching tv. Stony Brook traditions include the Roth Regatta, Strawberry Fest, Midnight Scream I am not acquainted with the party scene on campus, but there is one. I am also not familiar with frats/soros Last weekend I hung out with my friends, planned and produced a radio show, and did some homework. Off campus I shop for groceries, eat out, watch movies, etc.

Stony Brook is a commuter campus, students have no school spirit. Administration is inefficient and professors don't care about their students.

Connie

Biggest Controversy was the gunman that they tried to cover up. STONY BROOK SUCKS DON'T COME HERE!!!! GO TO FERRUM COLLEGE THEY KNOW HOW TO HANDLE EMERGENCY SITUATIONS!

Everything is true. We don't have real professors Grad students teach our classes. This school sucks don't come here PLEASE!

Professors don't exist here and even if they don't they don't care. Stony Brook is not intellectual at all. Don't Come here!

Stony Brook Sucks! The administration sucks, they don't care about the students. I don't see why anyone would want to go her. Stony Brook students are on drugs. They smoke weed in front of everyone and no one cares. Stony Brook tries to brain wash students with its past achievements and how wonderful this school is but what has it done lately. The hospital is the worst! I would rather stay in my room and take pain killers than go to the hospital. I know of people that were given the wrong medication and got even sicker from being in the hospital. Stony Brook sucks don't go here!

Casey

In my experience, I would say they are very inaccurate. As memeber of Undergraduate Student Government and Football team I do not feel segregated amongst my peers. I also love my school and dont plan on transferring.

That we are all just geeks and the school is diverse but segregated amongst the community. Another thing is that people think everybody that goes to stony brook is unhappy and would rather be somewhere else.

Dylan

School pride is on the increase, admin seems to have gotten better about relating to students. There are always complaints though...my biggest is about parking and road construction...never understand why they can't do it on breaks when there are less students around. Not so much of a college town, but a good vibe on campus during the week. Weekends gets to be a bit of a ghost town...

really diverse campus, but not segregated. SOme students chill only with their racial group, but doubt they would exclude anyone. Don't think anyone would feel out of place once they settle in and get to know people. I guess in the first year you can, but then once you get to find your people, its cool. Students range from sweats in class to dressier outfits. Different people do interact. Very politically active from what I have seen, maybe a bit more left leaning, but that could just be me and my friends.

It is very diverse, and many students are academically oriented, but they like to have fun, too.

I think academics are good, most professors get to know your name, at least in smaller classes. There are some cool classes out there, like Soc of Reproduction or Family Violence. Both have down to earth teachers, and seem to encourage students to think about things that apply to us and that leads to discussions outside of class. Soc department is trying to offer more interesting classes.... there is emphasis on getting jobs, lots of workshops for job or grad school prep, which is good.

It is very diverse and academic oriented

Stony Brook as a whole is probably just about the perfect size. You can definitely find a place to sit and have a cup of coffee with some work throughout the day that does not revolve around running into people, or if you would rather, the exact opposite. Even though this sounds somewhat cheesy, I’ve really found that every aspect of your life here is what you make of it. As far as school pride goes, I definitely see a lack of that. I have gone to my fair share of football, basketball, and soccer games, but I can’t say that they’re the highlight of my time here in the least. They’re fun and everything- don’t get me wrong- but if all of the people that go to school here actually turned up at some games, there would be a major difference. Most commuters that I know just don’t bother. Obviously, to some people this kind of thing matters more than others. It doesn’t really make or break your time here regardless. To be completely honest, I don’t really feel one way or the other about administration. I sort of just know that when I need something taken care of I go over to the building and it usually gets handled pretty easily. In reality, no one really wants to deal with the stuff they have to get done anyway, so if people tell you something bad about administration it’s probably because they didn’t feel like being there in the first place. The main thing here is finding where you feel like you really fit in. It isn’t one of those schools you hear about that have absolutely nothing to do off campus because they are in the middle of nowhere. It is a great college that has everything that Long Island can offer. Within minutes away are restaurants, a mall and other shopping, convenience stores, the movies, bars, and more. Stony Brook is located close to the highway, and has a train station that is basically on campus. This creates easy access to the city and other locations, including home for many students. I would actually recommend taking the train just one stop to Port Jefferson, which has several great places to eat and shop right by the water (you can even get on a ferry), and it’s just a great way to spend the day. For me, all of this is a huge plus. I get the best of both worlds- home is nearby and there whenever I want, but I can still say that I am having a true college experience.

When you walk around Stony Brook, you definitely feel like it’s diverse. There seems to be a nice mixture of racial and ethnic backgrounds, and social class too. I can’t tell you that things aren’t “clicky”, but before you know it you’re within your own clique and you never think about it again. I’ve found that classes are really the place where I branch out a little more. It’s like the comfort blanket that consists of your best friends gets pulled out from under you. Majority of the students here are from somewhere in New York, whether it is the city, Queens, Long Island or upstate. It’s actually really funny to see people’s reaction when they meet someone for the first time and find out they’re actually not from here. For those of you who want to avoid people you know from your own towns- it isn’t really too bad. You might just have to go through the occasional, “Hey how’s it going I’ve missed you what are you up to” routine, but other than that it’s really no big deal. Let me give you everything you need to know about fashion here. Basically- wear whatever you want whenever you want. I like to get dressed and at least somewhat put together for class. I’ve noticed that since a lot of people commute, there are many girls that tend to do the same. And hey, if you’re one of those crawl-out-of-bed people, go for it.

Lately, Stony Brook has had a ton of publicity for the crimes that have been taking place on campus. This is probably something that parents would worry about most when they’re child is applying here. Mainly, I would have to say to just not be stupid. Obviously things are not always in your control, but keep your door locked and make sure your roommates do the same. Don’t walk around campus alone at night. Yes, you are on campus, but no, you are not isolated from the rest of the world. This does not make Stony Brook a terrible place. Things do happen, unfortunately, wherever you go.

At times you will feel like they?re accurate, but really it?s just based on people?s attempts to blame a group that only makes up 17% of the people in the school anyway. They?re just finding excuses for themselves when they just can?t get settled or do well in a class. I think that the people who bring Stony Brook down in that way also hold some responsibility for the lack of recognition that the school may get. If Stony Brook were located somewhere else, you would probably have more people from all over the country applying.

Sometimes I find that professors really care and really want to get to know each student, and other times it’s definitely not like that. In my major (Linguistics) majority of the classes are small, so a lot of the professors tend to get to know your name regardless. They are all usually extremely available and helpful in office hours and in general. However, I will be declaring a double major in Sociology, and in those classes, it’s very easy to blend in. You learn to take initiative whenever necessary. Stony Brook’s academic requirements can be a complete pain. You have to take different classes and each class fulfills a different DEC (Diversified Education Curriculum). Sometimes you literally get stuck in classes that you would never take otherwise and have to suffer through them just because you can’t graduate without completing the DEC. That definitely does not cover all of it though, because I cannot even tell you how many times I was able to find a DEC that was so much easier than my other classes. It can be like a complete breath of fresh air. Who knows, you might even find a subject you really like through it. One thing that always drives me crazy- I always have work to do. I don’t understand how there are always people who say that they have absolutely nothing to do and get to sit around playing video games. I’m not sure if they actually do not have work or if they just don’t do any of it. I have to admit, though, I’m more of the perfectionist type. I would still say not to expect to not do anything if you come here.

Different people gravitate towards different activities academically and socially. There are so many different clubs that anyone can get involved in- not to mention the obvious sports teams. I’m actually involved in mentoring, and I’ve found that it’s a great experience. On several Saturdays of the spring semesters, I work with high school students, motivating and guiding them towards a final project pertaining to technology and society. I really do enjoy it, and it’s even good to put on your resume. I think that the school does try to unite its students as much as possible, and every spring we have something called the Roth Pond Regatta. People participate in building cardboard boats and making them as creative as possible, and then people actually get in the boats and race across the pond. I’m pretty sure my favorite boat ever was a huge duck boat. I mean, it was literally a big boat, and it was a duck. Everyone roots for their own groups, quads and friends, and it’s really just a great day. When I was a freshman I actually considered joining a sorority. I thought it would be a great way to meet new people and find where I belong. Not to completely bash the whole fraternity/sorority thing here, but from what I know from my friends at other schools, this campus doesn’t have the best Greek life. The people I met here that are in them really seemed like they love it, but it’s really up to you to decide if you want to pay money and give up hours and hours of your time be a part of it. I can honestly say with full confidence that it is not at all necessary to a real “college experience” here. To each his own, right? Weekends here are whatever you want them to be. You can go to a bar Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night if you feel like it. It is true that there is a definite lack of people and cars on this campus on weekends, but I know that with my closest friends, we will usually make our weekend decisions together. Sometimes, it’s good to get away and go home, and others we all just want to be here together. By the way, if the bar scene isn’t for you, it doesn’t matter. I live in West Apartments now, and even before that, you can always find something to do with your friends.

Stony Brook is supposedly completely overpopulated by Asian students. People say that these are the smart people in the school, and there’s basically no point in competing with them because they run the place anyway. As a school in general, Stony Brook isn’t always given very much credit from the outside world because it’s just another Long Island school.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.