Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Casey

In my experience, I would say they are very inaccurate. As memeber of Undergraduate Student Government and Football team I do not feel segregated amongst my peers. I also love my school and dont plan on transferring.

That we are all just geeks and the school is diverse but segregated amongst the community. Another thing is that people think everybody that goes to stony brook is unhappy and would rather be somewhere else.

Dylan

School pride is on the increase, admin seems to have gotten better about relating to students. There are always complaints though...my biggest is about parking and road construction...never understand why they can't do it on breaks when there are less students around. Not so much of a college town, but a good vibe on campus during the week. Weekends gets to be a bit of a ghost town...

really diverse campus, but not segregated. SOme students chill only with their racial group, but doubt they would exclude anyone. Don't think anyone would feel out of place once they settle in and get to know people. I guess in the first year you can, but then once you get to find your people, its cool. Students range from sweats in class to dressier outfits. Different people do interact. Very politically active from what I have seen, maybe a bit more left leaning, but that could just be me and my friends.

It is very diverse, and many students are academically oriented, but they like to have fun, too.

I think academics are good, most professors get to know your name, at least in smaller classes. There are some cool classes out there, like Soc of Reproduction or Family Violence. Both have down to earth teachers, and seem to encourage students to think about things that apply to us and that leads to discussions outside of class. Soc department is trying to offer more interesting classes.... there is emphasis on getting jobs, lots of workshops for job or grad school prep, which is good.

It is very diverse and academic oriented

Stony Brook as a whole is probably just about the perfect size. You can definitely find a place to sit and have a cup of coffee with some work throughout the day that does not revolve around running into people, or if you would rather, the exact opposite. Even though this sounds somewhat cheesy, I’ve really found that every aspect of your life here is what you make of it. As far as school pride goes, I definitely see a lack of that. I have gone to my fair share of football, basketball, and soccer games, but I can’t say that they’re the highlight of my time here in the least. They’re fun and everything- don’t get me wrong- but if all of the people that go to school here actually turned up at some games, there would be a major difference. Most commuters that I know just don’t bother. Obviously, to some people this kind of thing matters more than others. It doesn’t really make or break your time here regardless. To be completely honest, I don’t really feel one way or the other about administration. I sort of just know that when I need something taken care of I go over to the building and it usually gets handled pretty easily. In reality, no one really wants to deal with the stuff they have to get done anyway, so if people tell you something bad about administration it’s probably because they didn’t feel like being there in the first place. The main thing here is finding where you feel like you really fit in. It isn’t one of those schools you hear about that have absolutely nothing to do off campus because they are in the middle of nowhere. It is a great college that has everything that Long Island can offer. Within minutes away are restaurants, a mall and other shopping, convenience stores, the movies, bars, and more. Stony Brook is located close to the highway, and has a train station that is basically on campus. This creates easy access to the city and other locations, including home for many students. I would actually recommend taking the train just one stop to Port Jefferson, which has several great places to eat and shop right by the water (you can even get on a ferry), and it’s just a great way to spend the day. For me, all of this is a huge plus. I get the best of both worlds- home is nearby and there whenever I want, but I can still say that I am having a true college experience.

When you walk around Stony Brook, you definitely feel like it’s diverse. There seems to be a nice mixture of racial and ethnic backgrounds, and social class too. I can’t tell you that things aren’t “clicky”, but before you know it you’re within your own clique and you never think about it again. I’ve found that classes are really the place where I branch out a little more. It’s like the comfort blanket that consists of your best friends gets pulled out from under you. Majority of the students here are from somewhere in New York, whether it is the city, Queens, Long Island or upstate. It’s actually really funny to see people’s reaction when they meet someone for the first time and find out they’re actually not from here. For those of you who want to avoid people you know from your own towns- it isn’t really too bad. You might just have to go through the occasional, “Hey how’s it going I’ve missed you what are you up to” routine, but other than that it’s really no big deal. Let me give you everything you need to know about fashion here. Basically- wear whatever you want whenever you want. I like to get dressed and at least somewhat put together for class. I’ve noticed that since a lot of people commute, there are many girls that tend to do the same. And hey, if you’re one of those crawl-out-of-bed people, go for it.

Lately, Stony Brook has had a ton of publicity for the crimes that have been taking place on campus. This is probably something that parents would worry about most when they’re child is applying here. Mainly, I would have to say to just not be stupid. Obviously things are not always in your control, but keep your door locked and make sure your roommates do the same. Don’t walk around campus alone at night. Yes, you are on campus, but no, you are not isolated from the rest of the world. This does not make Stony Brook a terrible place. Things do happen, unfortunately, wherever you go.

At times you will feel like they?re accurate, but really it?s just based on people?s attempts to blame a group that only makes up 17% of the people in the school anyway. They?re just finding excuses for themselves when they just can?t get settled or do well in a class. I think that the people who bring Stony Brook down in that way also hold some responsibility for the lack of recognition that the school may get. If Stony Brook were located somewhere else, you would probably have more people from all over the country applying.

Sometimes I find that professors really care and really want to get to know each student, and other times it’s definitely not like that. In my major (Linguistics) majority of the classes are small, so a lot of the professors tend to get to know your name regardless. They are all usually extremely available and helpful in office hours and in general. However, I will be declaring a double major in Sociology, and in those classes, it’s very easy to blend in. You learn to take initiative whenever necessary. Stony Brook’s academic requirements can be a complete pain. You have to take different classes and each class fulfills a different DEC (Diversified Education Curriculum). Sometimes you literally get stuck in classes that you would never take otherwise and have to suffer through them just because you can’t graduate without completing the DEC. That definitely does not cover all of it though, because I cannot even tell you how many times I was able to find a DEC that was so much easier than my other classes. It can be like a complete breath of fresh air. Who knows, you might even find a subject you really like through it. One thing that always drives me crazy- I always have work to do. I don’t understand how there are always people who say that they have absolutely nothing to do and get to sit around playing video games. I’m not sure if they actually do not have work or if they just don’t do any of it. I have to admit, though, I’m more of the perfectionist type. I would still say not to expect to not do anything if you come here.

Different people gravitate towards different activities academically and socially. There are so many different clubs that anyone can get involved in- not to mention the obvious sports teams. I’m actually involved in mentoring, and I’ve found that it’s a great experience. On several Saturdays of the spring semesters, I work with high school students, motivating and guiding them towards a final project pertaining to technology and society. I really do enjoy it, and it’s even good to put on your resume. I think that the school does try to unite its students as much as possible, and every spring we have something called the Roth Pond Regatta. People participate in building cardboard boats and making them as creative as possible, and then people actually get in the boats and race across the pond. I’m pretty sure my favorite boat ever was a huge duck boat. I mean, it was literally a big boat, and it was a duck. Everyone roots for their own groups, quads and friends, and it’s really just a great day. When I was a freshman I actually considered joining a sorority. I thought it would be a great way to meet new people and find where I belong. Not to completely bash the whole fraternity/sorority thing here, but from what I know from my friends at other schools, this campus doesn’t have the best Greek life. The people I met here that are in them really seemed like they love it, but it’s really up to you to decide if you want to pay money and give up hours and hours of your time be a part of it. I can honestly say with full confidence that it is not at all necessary to a real “college experience” here. To each his own, right? Weekends here are whatever you want them to be. You can go to a bar Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night if you feel like it. It is true that there is a definite lack of people and cars on this campus on weekends, but I know that with my closest friends, we will usually make our weekend decisions together. Sometimes, it’s good to get away and go home, and others we all just want to be here together. By the way, if the bar scene isn’t for you, it doesn’t matter. I live in West Apartments now, and even before that, you can always find something to do with your friends.

Stony Brook is supposedly completely overpopulated by Asian students. People say that these are the smart people in the school, and there’s basically no point in competing with them because they run the place anyway. As a school in general, Stony Brook isn’t always given very much credit from the outside world because it’s just another Long Island school.

Brett

The best thing about Stony Brook is the diversity. It goes beyond just ethnicity. You experience different cultures, ways of thinking and perceptions. You'll meet people with opinions and views you've never encountered anywhere else. One thing I would like the school to do more of is promote more bonding and interaction among entering freshmen. The housing setup for freshmen is centered on academics and doesn't allow for the most development of relationships. Stony Brook is a big school, as far as schools go, but I don't think thats a bad thing. It doesn't come with the same comfortable feel that small schools have, but it allows for students to experience so much more. When I tell people that I go to Stony Brook often they will tell me that they went there too or they know someone who went there. It just shows me how many people have passed through here and that a lot of them stay in the area. I spend most of my time on campus in my room because it's where I can concentrate on my work the best, but there is an endless list of places on campus to go for peace and quiet. It's really not a college town because it's in the middle of highly populated area. The campus itself is like its own little town. The administration is like any that of any other school. Certain things can be a pain and take forever, but the more important matters tend to be resolved rather quickly. Recently there have been concerns with security as there have been a few incidents, but the campus police and security officials have been on top of the matter and kept the student body well-informed. There is a noticeable lack of school spirit. This is mostly because there has not been a central sports team to rally around. I wouldn't say, though, that the students don't have school pride. Nobody walks with their head held down in shame. My favorite experience at Stony Brook has to be my first weekend here. As is common, freshmen come in a few days before everyone else for an orientation weekend. The weekend was great, and most of the friends I made that weekend are still my closest friends here. The most common complaint I have encountered has to be the food. I wouldn't say the food is very different than other schools, but what can I say, college kids are hungry.

Once again the student body is very diverse and so I have had experiences with numerous religions, ethnicities and various groups. All of them have been positive with me usually coming out knowing more than I did going in. It's a public school so there are no economic elite who are at college because it's what is expected of them. These students want to go to college, many of them being the first generation in their families to do so. I can't imagine any student feeling out of place at Stony Brook. There is a niche for just about anyone. I have found that this allows for a very productive learning experience. The typical dress ranges anywhere from sweatshirts and pajama pants to business casual. Most students just wear jeans and t-shirts though. Student interaction is fairly common. There are cliques but nothing drastic. If you were to walk into the dining hall and there are four tables one would probably be full of athletes stuffing three meals down at once. Another table would look normal enough, but the students would be speaking another language, one of several commonly heard on campus. There would be another table of students simultaneously eating and reading at the same time, all the while not spilling or blinking once. And let's just say the last table is the miscellaneous table, it could be anything. Most Stony Brook students are from New York and specifically from Long Island and New York City. It is a state school, so tuition is less for state residents. There is a significant amount of foreign exchange and international students though. I would say most students come from middle class and upper lower class homes. The campus does posses a fair amount of political awareness. Stony Brook has a history of being very politically active and once was dubbed "Berkeley of the East." It's tough to gauge the overall political preference of the campus but I would say it leans to the left. As with almost any college kid, students are concerned with what they will earn today, especially with how expensive New York City is and the ever-increasing cost of living on Long Island, where most are from.

Biggest complaint about the school: weekends. Of the 9000 or so students who live on campus, at least half do go home on weekends. This can be a pain for those who live too far to go home or who live on campus for the sole purpose of being home as little as possible. I originally went home a lot on weekends my first year, mainly because the girl I was dating still lived home, and regret it all the time. Never let a girl get in the way of your freedom men, lesson learned the hard way. (Really the point here is it's hard to be dating someone when you leave for school.) So for your first semester here, do your best to stay around on weekends. You'll find things to do that took me a year to find and you'll be happier for it. I'm on my way out of here in a few months and everyday I wish I didn't have to leave. The school can be great if you give it a chance. Many students here never made the effort to be happy and they were unhappy because of it. Also could use some more gym space. Incoming froshies, make sure to lobby for that, because calling fives on a weightlifting bench doesn't always work.

As for the unhappy student body stereotype I would say it all depends on whom you ask. Stony Brook is a large commuter school, as much as half of the undergraduate population live off-campus or at home. Commuter students tend to feel disconnected from the campus community and experience less of the so called "college experience." In my opinion the stereotype is only partially accurate. Resident students tend to be happy and from what I have seen, transfer out less. Whether or not Stony Brook is considered a party school rests on what you consider partying. If you like bars and clubs then you will find a home quickly. However, the school is lacking in on-campus parties.

Many of the classes taken by students in the first year or two are very large, anywhere between 70 to 400 students, so it's hard for professors to remember students by name. As soon as I started taking classes within my major, though, class sizes became much smaller and more personal relationships with professors developed. I've had a lot of classes that I have enjoyed, both in my major and not. If I had to pick one I would say it was marketing. The professor always had a personal experience to help relate the concepts and even if he told the same story two or three times he still managed to keep it interesting, although I suspect he may have embellished a bit. There have been a few classes that I haven't enjoyed at all. They were core classes that we were required to take and found hard to focus on, but that happens to everyone. How often a student studies depends on the student I'd say. I know students who would study several hours every day, and I know students who might dedicate that much time to studying in a fortnight. Class participation is very common. There are always students who actively participate in class without the professor requiring it. The conversations often spill over class time and last well into a meal afterwards. Although debates can often get heated and are rarely solved it's not competition that drives the students. There aren't any gold stars handed out so there isn't any reason to fight for the professor's admiration. The most unique class I have ever taken was a writing class. A lot of the class time was spent outside the classroom. A typical assignment would involve walking around campus and looking for inspiration for a poem. This was nice on sunny days, but rain is not conducive for the creative spirit. Professors always have a good amount of students come to them during office hours and there are a handful of professors who can routinely be seen having lunch or holding special luncheons with students. The academic requirements at Stony Brook are tough, but certainly not unachievable. There is a minimum GPA to stay enrolled, but it's probably takes more effort to fall below it than above it. Classes are both geared towards getting a job and just learning for its own sake. Professors often use real world examples to illustrate concepts and also allow us to discuss ideas that may not be applicable while seeking a job. Class discussions often adapt to what the students want to talk about regardless of what the aim is.

The most popular groups on campus are probably the fraternities and sororities. I think there is around thirty or so total which means that if you're interested in joining one there's a good chance you can find one you like. Each of them is a little bit different than the next. There are over two hundred other clubs and even more different programs. One organization that I enjoyed was a student-faculty retreat. About 70 students and faculty, including the Dean of Students and President, went away for a weekend and held various conferences to discuss ways to improve the school. It was a great experience in that I learned a lot about Stony Brook and its history and I met several members of the administration. Most students lock their doors, as they are encouraged to do. Few students feel unsafe, but keeping doors locked makes too much sense not to do it. Athletic events generally are not popular, but whenever there is a big game, be it against a rival or a well known team, the students will show up in force. Guest speakers are usually well received. In the past year there have been speakers from many realms of society, including sport stars, academics and journalists. The dating scene is probably like any other college. There's a lot of restaurants and places to go off campus. I knew a few of my closest friends before college but a lot of my friendships started my first weekend here freshmen year. We all lived on the same hall for two years and quickly became close friends. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what am I doing? Well, WHEN I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm usually in my apartment hanging out with my roommates. When I lived in a corridor style building the answer would be the same, but often a few kids on the hall would get together to play poker or something else that isn't doing schoolwork. There are a few traditions that are very enjoyable. Atop this list would be the Roth Regatta. Every year this boat race is held in the Roth Pond, a body of water that nobody dares go in any other day of the year, aside from the occasional day swimmer in a clown costume. Students, clubs and organizations build their own boats and hop in with paddles in hand. The only catch is the boats can only be made out of cardboard, duct tape and a few other materials. This makes for some interesting designs and some incredible disasters. Don't worry, life jackets are required and the school has yet to lose a soul in this nearly 5 foot deep pond. Partying is mostly done off campus, whether it be at a club, bar or house. The parties that are on campus have to be relatively small and are usually confined to a single dorm room or suite. Whether or not you can get away with partying in your room or hall almost completely depends on your resident assistant and what kind of mood they choose to be in most often. This has come a long from from when my uncle attended Stony Brook in the 70's and there were bars in the basements of most residence halls. Oh well... Are fraternities and sororities important? Well this all depends on who you ask. Ask a frat brother or sister they are the most important thing to the existence of Man. Ask any of the 13,000 plus undergrads who are not a member of a frat or sorority and their daily lives would change little if they all disappeared. Weekends can be slow here, but if you're willing to do something you can always find something. Last weekend we had a party in our apartment with a few close friends and a few people I have never seen before. Thats pretty typical of a weekend for me. Thursday and Friday nights are usually the more eventful. Saturday night if nothing is going on you will probably find students doing a few things: getting a late start on the work the neglected all week, refusing to get off the couch so they don't miss a second of TV or video games or playing poker for more money than the wish to part with. When campus gets boring there's a few things to do off campus. The mall is 5 minutes away and accessible by bus. Movie theater as well. Dozens of restaurants and pizza places and of course enough fast food to give you a coronary.

Probably the biggest stereotype is that all students are miserable and desperately want to transfer. I have also heard that people consider it to be a party school. At the same time I have heard other people say it's incredibly boring.

Blake

The best thing about Stony Brook, let's see... it's very affordable, and has a great reputation. One thing I'd change about Stony Brook is how inpersonal it can feel sometimes. I think that goes with a lot of large schools, you can easily feel like you are just another face in the crowd. I think Stony Brook is working on this already, but they need to make a stronger effort to reach out to their students to make them aware of the resources available to them on campus such as the Career Center and Academic Advising. As I mentioned in my previous statement, I feel Stony Brook is too large. Most of my classes average about 100-200 students, even at upper division levels. When I tell people I go to Stony Brook, most people seem impressed. I feel proud to be an SBU student, we're often in the news for something wonderful that we do. This semester I seem to spend most of my time on campus in class since my schedule is set up where I have classes back to back. However, previous semesters, much of my downtime was spent eating. Freshman year if my friends and I were bored in class, we would often leave to get food at the SAC (Student Activities Center). Another place I spend my time on campus is at one of the many SINC sites. SINC sites are where students can use computers for school (or personal use) and can print there too. Stony Brook is not a college town to me. I feel like Stony Brook University just happens to be located in Stony Brook. Other than that, I don't think it has much of an influence. Ah, Stony Brook's administration. Some might call them a necessary evil, but I have no problem with them. In fact, there are many administrators on campus who seem to really care about the students' best interests. Biggest controversy on campus? This past school year, there have been reports of several minor robbery attempts at the quads late at night. It's just odd because you wouldn't expect Stony Brook to seem unsafe. I used to have no qualms about walking to my car alone at night after class, now I try to be more aware of my surroundings. Stony Brook is desperately trying to up the school pride through sporting events and such. SBU wants to become one of those schools where everyone is into the "big game". I think our school pride is getting better, but we have a long way to go. I think it is hard to foster that sort of pride when half the school commutes, and out of those commuters, many only go to campus for class and nothing more. One thing that might strike some as unusual is the annual science fiction convention that happens in the spring known as I-CON. I've never been on campus during this event (since I commute, and it's usually on a weekend). I've heard during the convention weekend, the SBU buildings are infiltrated with all sorts of people dressed up representing their beloved sci fi genre. That's something I can personally do without seeing, but I'm sure for many it's exciting. I'll always remember my experience as part of the learning communities freshman year. The learning community program is only offered to freshman. It's designed so that you get the feel of a small college, since your scheduling is done for you and many of the students in your LRN class are also in your PSY class, PHI class, etc. I met my closest friends from SBU through this program. The most frequent student complaints I hear are about the food being overpriced, the classes being too hard, and from a commuter's point of view, the school does not like to cancel class in inclement weather. Also, some students complain about nothing to do on campus.

Stony Brook is a very diverse campus, people from all backgrounds come here. I've noticed that although SBU is very diverse, people from certain ethnic groups tend to gravitate towards one another. What I think is nice is that there are clubs for people of every background. You can certainly find your nitch at Stony Brook, I don't think there is any student who would feel out of place. It is hard to interact with others at times on campus because people tend to keep to themselves in class. Let's see, four tables of students in the dining hall. I'd say one table would belong to a fraternity, one to students of the same ethnic background, one table for the non-traditional students, and then there is a table where one person is sitting alone, although there are 5 empty seats surrounding them I think most SBU students are from Long Island or one of the 5 burroughs. However, there are some international students, and a sprinkling of students from across the country. At least that's my perception. Financial backgrounds, well it is Long Island, so there are certainly people who come from upper-middle class to upper class background. I think there are a lot of students who are middle class, and who couldn't afford to go to a private school, and heard SBU has an excellent reputation anyway. Students are politically aware, we have NYPIRG, who campaigns to ensure every student is registered to vote. I think Stony Brook is overall a very liberal campus, you can tell by the way the classes are. I don't think any professor I've encountered would be considered conservative so far. I don't hear much talk about how much students will earn one day.

A lot of students who are considering dorming will probably be interested in the quality of the food and also quality of the dorms themselves. The dorms are very small and modest, and some of the quads are far from the classes. The food is OKAY, but nothing great. Particularly, I always seem to go for the fake italian food, always hopeful that it will taste alright, but always dissapointed. We do have some fast food on campus though, such as Taco Bell, and I believe a Wendy's will soon be added. Also, we recently got a Starbucks, which is awesome since everyone loves overpriced coffee. Another issue which I think is important for Stony Brook in particular is what it is like being a commuter student. Nearly half of the student population commutes, so issues such as parking and student activities are important to commuters. Stony Brook offers buses that makes stops around various points on campus since the campus is so huge. The only free parking available to Stony Brook students is located far from the the academic mall. In fact, the biggest commuter lot, the South P lot, is so far away, that on the campus map it gets it's own little box, just like Alaska and Hawaii on U.S. maps.

There are indeed many asians who attend Stony Brook, but I also notice there is overall a lot of diversity. You see people from every ethnic and religious background. As for Stony Brook being heavily science oriented, it is. However, Stony Brook has many great programs, not just in the physical sciences. In the case of Stony Brook "not wanting" their students to graduate, I think the reaility is in such a big school, a lot of people slip through the cracks and do not get the academic counseling they need. At Stony Brook, the resources are available to make sure you graduate on time, but you have to find them on your own. Most people don't keep track of the big picture as far as what courses they need for their major and for overall completion of a B.A or B.S program at Stony Brook, and thus are shocked to find out there is a requirement they never knew they needed. I can't really say whether or not the business program is any good.

Professors typically do not know your name, as many of the classes have 100+ students. In order for a professor to know your name, you have to put in a strong effort to participate in class and meet with the professor during office hours. There are some classes at Stony Brook which are smaller, I think I just happened to take many of the classes that are bigger. Another good way to let a professor know who you are is by doing research for them or being a teacher's assistant. That's probably a wise move for your academic future anyway, because those are great ways to get a letter of recommendation for grad school. My favorite class so far has been CFS 308: Violence in the Family. I loved that class because Rachel Kalish, the instructor of the course, had a way of making each class engaging. The class always went by so quickly because the material covered was actually interesting. My least favorite class has to be one I took for a DEC, which was AAS 220: China: Language and Culture. My friends and I all took it together, thinking it would be fairly easy. It ended up being really annoying. The teacher wanted everyone to do group presentations (the class was probably about 100/110 people). These presentations were originally to be 5 minutes long, but of course the first group to present went on for 10 minutes, which set the bar for everyone trying to out-do each other to look like they were better informed. It got to a point where some groups had to be presenting for at least 20 minutes, and I'm sorry to say, but the Hunan Province can only be entertaining for so long. The teacher kept changing the syllabus, and in the end, I have no clue how I got my grade since my teacher never handed anything back. Some students study a lot, some never crack open a book. I think it just depends on the individual. There are dorms on campus where it is quiet 24 hours a day. I have no idea who would elect to live in such a place, but to each their own. Class participation depends on the type of class. Some professors never make it part of the class, whereas other professors encourage it, even if the class is large. Often, it is the same few people who participate in class. Sometimes the people who participate aren't very helpful to the flow of the class, and ask questions that are pretty much irrelevant. I think students do engage in intellectual conversations outside of class, I know I do. Some students are competitive, but I'm sure it depends on what major you are. The most unique class I've taken so far is PSY 346 Health Psychology. The class is a lecture sized class, and yet the teacher has the class split up into discussion groups and minicourses on certain days, run by the UTAs. The students get to sign up for whichever group they are interested in, and participation and attendance to these groups are actually part of your grade. It's confusing at first, but it's really a great way to learn. I took a discussion group on stress management, so I got credit towards my grade for learning about something that is beneficial to me anyway. I am a psychology major, and my department is heavily research oriented. There are plenty opportunities to become a research assistant, and in the Honors College for Psych, you can even create your own project. I personally find my department advisor to be unhelpful, as anytime I have visited her office in the past, I was treated as if I was inconveniencing her. I remember when I was looking into internships and I went to the psych dept for help. My advisor gave me one reference, and it turns out the person she told me to contact no longer worked for the agency. I have spoken to other students who also have had bad experiences with the advisor. It just seems like she doesn't want to advise students at all. Lucky for me I know how to read my course bulletin, or else I'd be completely lost as to what I need to do to complete my major. I do not spend time with professors outside of class, I don't think I ever have, except for office hours. I think there are too many students on campus for professors to try and fraternize with. Stony Brook requires each student complete a set of classes known as DECS. They are labeled A-K, and certain ones require two courses in order to satisfy the req. I understand the reasoning behind DECs, but I find them to be annoying, and just one more thing to worry about completing in order to graduate on time. There has been one DEC, which is on european traditions, that I finally took this semester. It has been haunting me for the past four years and I just never found one I could tolerate until now. I think Stony Brook's education is geared towards both getting a job and learning for it's own sake. Stony Brook provides plenty of internships on campus, and linkages to ones offcampus. Stony Brook has pretty much everything you can want in an education. There are so many classes to choose from, you can certainly seek out whatever you are looking for in the college experience here at SBU.

Hmm there are too many groups on campus to tell. Stony Brook has over 200 clubs and organizations, so I think it's pretty well spread out. I can tell you who will have a successful event though, any group offering giveaways or free food. College students love anything free The group I've been involved in for 3 years now is the Commuter Student Services. I like being a part of this club, and I've seen it expand a lot since I first started out. CSS provides outreach services and advocacy for commuter students, and it also holds events such as the Commuter Reception, Lunch and Learns, and Commuter Appreciation Day. I think it is really important, especially for commuter students, to become involved here. Otherwise, you don't feel connected to the school, and that can be pretty depressing. Students in dorms don't typically leave their doors open, or at least my friends who dorm don't. Athletic events are fairly popular, but it depends on which sport. Stony Brook is trying to make athletic events a bigger deal, because a lot of students seem apathetic when it comes to SBU athletics. We have a great theater arts center, there are always shows going on. Dating scene at SBU? I'm not sure there is one! No, there probably is, although I haven't found it yet, I met my boyfriend at work. It's hard enough sometimes to make friends on campus, let alone begin dating someone. With large classes, people tend to just stick to themselves. I guess the dating scene exists, maybe with the fraternities/sororities or athletic teams. I met my closest friends through the Learning Communities Program. I also made friends through clubs. The key to making friends and any social connection here at Stony Brook is to get involved and make the effort. 2am on a Tuesday I am usually at home because I commute. Although I know my friend who dorms is probably at the computer on facebook or something. There are several traditions that occur each year, many of which are in the spring. There is the Roth Pond Regatta, where groups of students spend weeks in preparation making boats out of cardboard, in hopes it can make it across the lake with students in it. Then there is the Strawberry Festival which is all about-you got it, Strawberries and products involving strawberries. A fun tradition if you dorm is the Midnight Breakfast, which occurs during finals week. There is also I-Con, which is a science fiction convention which occurs in the spring. I don't know how prominate partying is at school because I don't dorm there. Fraternities and Sororities are present at Stony Brook, but they are not the end all and be all. They are a good way to meet people, but they aren't viewed as the "cool kids" on campus. Last weekend I worked, but I do not live on campus, so I am not a good reference as to what the social scene is on the weekends. From what I hear, most students go home on the weekends, so the campus is pretty empty. Saturday night at Stony Brook? There is probably some club-sponsored event, or perhaps an on campus movie or show. I am a commuter student, so off campus is when I work, study, see my friends and boyfriend.

One of the biggest stereotypes about Stony Brook is practically everyone who goes there is asian. When people think of Stony Brook, they all associate it with science, because that is what we are best known for. Another stereotype I've heard is that Stony Brook does not want it's students to graduate, as many people often take at least 5 years to earn their degree. One last stereotype I've heard is that the business program here is lack-luster.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.