Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Joni

It was very fun experience for me. I can't wait to start my next chapter here in stony brook university!

Alyssa

Stony Brook is known as a research institution (that basically means that the professors and instructors are hired based on research capabilities and not how well they can actually teach their discipline). Stony Brook has a very diverse student population, and about 25,000 undergraduates are currently enrolled. However, I know many who feel very isolated and depressed despite the large population. SBU is competitive and the grading is tough. Large lecture halls are very impersonal and in my experience, the professor doesn't care who you are or if you show up or not. I've had better experience in smaller classes but most are large lectures. We have recently changed dining providers and the food sucks and is more expensive now so everyone is upset. Stony is becoming a greener campus and has gone smoke-free as of 2016. We've been having issues with transparency of the administration and the police force when there are incidents on campus. Also, our website used for semester enrollment is inaccurate, slow, and altogether stressful. Overall, SBU has a great reputation however I don't necessarily believe that it deserves all the praise it receives.

Kareena

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University is a very nice school where majority of the students are commuters. We pride ourselves in academics and research.

Caroline
meh.

meh.

Stony is an ok school. It has its ups in social life and events if you know where to look but academics can be hard. Intro to biology courses are very difficult and are meant to weed out students. A lot of work for what its worth.

Giselle
The Life of A Stony Brook Student

The Life of A Stony Brook Student

Stony Brook University gave me the chance to get to know myself better. I learned to become independent, decide for myself, and become a better person in general. And by that I do not mean Stony Brook taught me to become a better person, but it allowed me to discover who I am. I learned that I had many flaws and that I was not the smartest and best person on earth. There were many people who were not only more intelligent that me, but they knew how to achieve their goals. It was very frustrating at first. I was confused for a year or two. But slowly, I accepted my flaws and learned how to live with them. I did not have to make them disappear, I just had to make them part of me. By junior year, I improved my grades a lot. Not that I had bad grades, but I started receiving even higher grades. Stony Brook is very good at academics. Science courses, especially biology, chemistry, and physics are very difficult. The lecture halls are huge, often with 500 students, therefore, studying for these classes needs a unique technique. One must remember that professors do not even bother to get their students. It is the student's responsibility to get to know the professor. Living on campus was very convenient for me. Thankfully, I never had trouble with my roommates because I am generally an easygoing person. However, from other people's experiences, people who had issues could change their rooms or roommates after each semester. In brief, I enjoyed my 4 years at Stony Brook. I took the classes that I loved with the professors that cared. It was an amazing and remarkable experience for me. I became a great cook, learned how to take care of myself, and most importantly, learned how to get to know other people and make friends.

ROBERT
One of the worst colleges anywhere

One of the worst colleges anywhere

99% of my college professeurs, including chemistry, biology - did not have a teaching bone in their body and could give 2 craps less about any student. They are teaching because with a PhD and no real potential to make any money, what can they do but teach. I was told by a neuro biology professeur that I would not be permitted to do research with him because I didn't have have 4.0 average. My calculus class was told on day 1 that 1/3 of the class will fail, 1/3 will get D's and C's, the other 1/3 will have mostly B's with a few A's. What a bunch of incompetent schmucks. Pick a smaller school where the professeurs have an interest and ability to teach and get yourself into a nourishing atmosphere at a better school - NOT a destructive mood, as with StonyBrook.

Erica

Stony Brook University is composed of predominantly pre-med students. Stony Brook University is very strong in their departments of sciences/engineering, mathematics, and computer science. Nevertheless, their liberal arts departments are decent, yet, not as strong as the STEM departments. In addition, Stony Brook University has many commuter students which means that on weekends, many people go home and thus, the campus life on weekends seem "dull." The weekends will not be dull if you actively find things to do, hang out with your friends, or catch up on things you wanted to do and etc.

Matt

I have only been here for one year, but it has been the most profound experience of my life and I can't see it happening anywhere other than Stony Brook

Either the students are very academically orientated or they are very socially orientated.

Greek organizations and miscellaneous clubs and sports are popular

The academics at Stony Brook are rather demanding. However they are also reasonable, and are definitely manageable with the right application.

Alex

Stony Brook University is very science-oriented school which mainly focuses its courses around the science and medical field.

Many times while day dreaming, I sit and wonder if I could go back in time to my younger self, what would I tell myself? After much thought, I realize that there are only three things I would have to tell myself. The first is to make lifelong friends who I could rely on whenever I needed to. The second is to focus on school work because our future is important and grades are very important. The final thing I would tell my high school self is to cherish your family and the moments you have with them. Make every moment with them count. Knowing these things back then would have changed my life for the better. Although there is no “undo” button in life, I like to imagine what my life would have been like if given the opportunity. I believe my college life and post-graduate life would have been greatly changed

The most frustrating part about Stony Brook University is the opportunity to make friends after freshman year. After freshman year, most people have created their circle of friends and tend not to deviate away from that group, making it difficult to make friends.

Stony Brook University is best known for its pre-med program and many students will have the opportunity to intern at the hospital attached to the university. Many of my friends were in the nursing program and interned at the hospital. They all quickly found employment upon graduation due to the experience they earned at the hospital.

Stony Brook University has a wonderfully diverse population and numerous opportunities to get involved with the campus community. Coming from a very small town, diversity was important to me and something that I found lacking at other universities I considered. By going there I was introduced to a wide range of opinions and life experiences which helped to shape the person I would become.

You’re going to fail sometimes and that’s okay. With every step you take outside of comfort zone you’ll become a new and more confident person; the person you wanted to be in high school, but were too afraid of failure to become. You won’t always succeed. Sometimes you’ll gather your courage and speak up in class or try something new, only to have it end in failure. Eventually you’ll learn to file your mistakes away as lessons and utilize them as motivation. You’ll always be nervous about speaking in front of crowds, but take a breath and do it anyway, because your experiences and opinions make you a unique person who has a lot to offer if you only give yourself the chance. Your interests will shine through and your excitement will light up your entire being, captivating your audience as you realize you have the potential to inspire others. At presentations and performances your heart will pound, your throat will tighten, you’ll be dizzy with nerves, and you’ll love every second of it. Don’t allow your fear of looking foolish stop you from accomplishing your goals.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.