Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University is an excellent school. The professors are great, the student are friendly and the food is good. The school is very academically driven and there are many clubs to become involved in. The best thing about Stony Brook is that you are getting a top eduction at a great price (Stony Brook is in the top 1 percent of colleges in the world according to the Times of London.) For anyone in state, this is an increcible school to attend, and for out of staters or internationals, the opportunities are just as exceptional.

Stony Brook is quite different from what I have experienced in grade school. The campus is huge and it seems as if you never run into the same individual twice. With the lecture halls being so huge its hard to make any new friends. But my friends from high school have helped me out during classes, and made sure that I reach my deadlines for homework. There are various ethnicities at Stony Brook so its a great way to learn about other cultures and helps individuals keep an open mind about the world around them.

The school is extremely diversified with an abundance of programs to allow you to learn about any type of culture whether it be that of different races, religion, beliefs, political, etc., as well as being a very strong candidate, academically, of being one of the top best100 universities in the country.

Stony Brook University is mostly a science-based research university hidden in the suburbs of Long Island with a very diverse student base, strong academics and highly qualified professors but it's not necessarily a college town and thus lacks a vibrant social scene.

A large, impersonal commuter school with a bureaucratic adminstration and horrible parking situation and outrageous cost-of-living, where the "diversity" is only skin deep, and with a strong focus on research (but don't let them tell you they invented the MRI).

Good-sized campus but class sizes are too large, especially for lower level classes, where it would be useful to have class discussions and/or homework to help familiarize with new vocabulary terms or ideas, theories, etc.

It's incredibly beautiful on a sunny day. There are lots of geese that leave droppings on the floor very often, but you get used to it. When a class finishes, the major paths get very crowded, but it's tolerable.

Stony Brook is a research oriented college with focus on preparing students for professional research; whose faculty encompass ethicities from around the globe, and whose students are as equally varied.

My school is a fairly large campus with a great reputation, great teachers, it has many sports and clubs available, is very affordable and is able to open many doors for all it's students.

Stony Brook University is tremendously competitive which brings out the best in everything you do, so help from other students is essential to survive; a wonderful experience.