Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

There are millions of groups on campus and there are different racial, religious, LGBT, and socio-economic groups that exist. I think a conservative white kid from the South might have a culture shock if they attended this school. Most students are from New York, but there are many from California (and in between) also from around the world (i.e. India and China). A lot of students are politically active and 99% of them are on the left/progressive, I'm one of the few on the right/center. The students who are very concerned about the future often talk about how much they will make one day.

This school is so big that it's hard to put every student under one category. The people I've come to know so far have been exceptional. I love the fact that it is ok to arrive to class in one's pajamas. I also love that there are so many clubs available for all kinds of people with different interests. This school is predominantly Asian and Caucasian, and I often find myself in classes where there are little to no other African Americans. Albeit, the majority of the students come from the middle class, and can normally relate to one another.

Most of my classmates are friendly and help me with studying or notes when they can. Many of them tend to be shy or quiet even when we're in a smaller classroom. However, they're more comfortable working in groups (from the classes that I've taken). A few of them are too competitive and even though they're extremely brilliant, they don't share their knowledge like the rest of us, and I feel that they should because a team should be mutual in terms of sharing knowledge. But other than that, I'm comfortable with them.

I've made a lot of friends here, and have overall had a very positive experience. However, as I mentioned before, I am one of the few students here that is NOT from Long Island. This was the hardest part about getting used to SBU, because Long Islanders can be REAL dicks. Additionally, I found it extremely difficult to live around frat/sorority types. However, once I moved off campus (which is actually less expensive than the dorms), and found my niche, I was extremely happy.

I really like the people in the groups I'm involved in. people who are not outgoing. Anything they feel like. Yes. One is all Asian kids, another is a mixture of all races and another is all exchange students and the last is all black students. The NYC area. Middle class. Some of them are. The ones I know are predominantly left. Sometimes, mostly, I think we try and figure out what exactly we're doing.

No experiance with this. A student who is not used to being surrounded by studnets from all over the world would feel somewhat uncomfortable. Casual clothes ( jeans, sweatshirts, shifts, t-shirts). Yes all types of students react. Some students are politically aware and some just dont care. It's a big school. Yes students do talk about how much they will make in the future.

The campus is very diverse. There are daddy's rich daughters driving BMW's and inner-city kids who need every ounce of financial aid they can get. Asians, blacks, whites, hispanics, every background is represented. Sometimes it leads to problems. Most of the time, despite the diversity, there is little interaction going on between the different groups.

Like I said before Stony Brook has students from across the globe. However these students tend to stay to their own race. They are not very welcoming, but that is not always the case. You have people using stereotypes and others who are just racist. The students I hang out with do not care about such silly novelties.

The students at Stony Brook University are very diverse. There are many different people from many different cultures and backgrounds, so it is a great place to make new friends and gain new perspectives and points of view. Some do not take their studies seriously, but most do and succeed in their academic careers.

My classmate are very diverse, coming from all parts of the world, such as Africa, Asia and even Europe. Because of this, I get to meet so many unique people and at the same time learn distinctly different cultures. Its helped me to become more open-minded about the world and the people that I meet.