Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

In my opinion, commute. Save yourself the thousands of dollars of living on campus OR rent a space to live off campus. You will be much better off and probably save yourself some money too. If you hate your roomate, small chance you will move, almost impossible if you're a freshman because you have stay in the set of buildings you're assigned to. I've heard stories of hassles and it's just not pretty. Also, don't assume you're going to share with you're roomate. Bring you're own set of everything. The only possible thing might be a mini fridge that you can rent but with it's cost, you might as well buy your own. One year's rent cost the same as buying it.

Lately, Stony Brook has had a ton of publicity for the crimes that have been taking place on campus. This is probably something that parents would worry about most when they’re child is applying here. Mainly, I would have to say to just not be stupid. Obviously things are not always in your control, but keep your door locked and make sure your roommates do the same. Don’t walk around campus alone at night. Yes, you are on campus, but no, you are not isolated from the rest of the world. This does not make Stony Brook a terrible place. Things do happen, unfortunately, wherever you go.

Stony Brook University is unique due to its affordable budget while still maintaining a highly recognized reputation. This university is tough to handle, but it is satisfying in the long run. I will admit to crying for almost every class, excluding freshmen seminar, but succeeding in all. The professors relate their research to the courses they teach, making the material more tangible. Stony Brook is that jump the dependence to independence. This school is in deep with the type of career path that I wanted to take, and its scientific basis is what made it the obvious choice.

There is a lot of racial and ethnic diversity. Many students are international or national exchange students like me. I am on exchange from the University of Memphis for one year. I am happy I am in New York. The campus has its own train station on campus and it takes about 2 hours to get into NYC on the LIRR. It does seem easier than it is in reality though. It is equally close to the Hamptons and the Long Island Beach areas. Serenity describes this campus very well. However, serenity can sometimes border boredom.

Diversity of culture, class, background is everywhere at this school. SBU opened my eyes to the variety of life that exists outside of my small town in upstate NY. In my opinion, SBU is the best choice for people who want a superior education but can't afford a private school price tag. Additionally, the size of the classes forces you to distinguish yourself from other people which causes you to develop social and motivational skills necessary for the rest of your life.

Stony brook has a very diverse population. The school is also alot larger than most schools I have looked at. In addition, Stony Brook provides a large range of different academic programs for many different majors where as most schools I looked at were relatively limited. This gives students a huge choice of courses to select from and even allows them to change their major without having to transfer if they no longer prefer their area of study.

The people in the school are so diverse and different that it feels that no matter how long you've been in the school that there is always someone with a different story and path to how they got to the school and where they want to go. I feel that other schools just don't have the same vibe of friendliness and helpfulness that this school provides from the first day you get out of the train, which is convenintly located on campus, and beyond.

Stony Brook finds research very important; something unique about this school is the fact that it allows its students to have a hands on experience. Having my major in mind, Biology, I considered Stony Brook as one of my top choices because of the fact that it is big on research. In addition, the competitiveness of getting into Stony Brook is increasing, demonstrating that the education recieved by its students is one of the best in the world.

The sciences and mathematics departments are so important to the school, as it has it's own teaching hospital, that the school holds it's students to a higher standard. This challenges the studets to work harder, and better. This discipline along with the URECA program for undergrad research, Stony Brook is presents an atmosphere where students get hands on experience and real world applications to what they are learning in the classroom.

My school is very ethnically diverse, referring to both the staff and student population. In smaller classrooms, teachers are more interactive with students and tend to be a lot more helpful. This school also strives to be environmentally friendly, using recyclable products in dining areas, and placing recycling cans in every building. This school really stresses to protect the environment.