Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

PUSO, ASA, The step teams. The Cat Network is a small but efficient group. I really love what we do and it serves the pre-vet purpose. Not in suite styles in Roth, anyway, corridor styles they do. Athletic events are not that popular. Guest speakers are not so popular either. Theater, I cannot say. I met my closest friends through friends of mine that went here and other people I knew. Probably school work. Homecoming and Spring week. People party often here if they can. Fraternities and sororities are not so important here. Last weekend I hung out with my friends. We play video games or watch movies. Off campus we go to the mall usually.

There's plenty to do here, but I'm not the type to get really super involved, so I'm afraid I don't have much to say on this topic. However, I do know that many people get involved in sports and build social networks that way, while others choose from the extremely diverse array of clubs and organizations here on campus. Most people in dorms amuse themselves by drinking themselves silly, especially Thursday nights. Personally, I met most of my best friends by living in the dorms briefly. So, however horrible I think the dorms are, I would reccommend living in them to any incoming freshman.

Like I said, there are over 200 clubs/organizations on campus including a great equestrian team, a wonderful ballroom dance team/club, religion based ones, ethnic education ones, etc... in addition to community service based clubs and pre-professional ones. Roth Regatta is one of the most popular events on campus where we compete with cardboard and duct tape boats across our very own man made pond. Another one is homecoming in the fall and strawberry fest. Earthstock is coming up and also sees a lot of participation.

The most popular groups are ethnic based groups. There are also a lot of charity groups like the red cross and other smaller ones. In my building many people leave their doors open. Athletic events are semi popular. Around Homecoming everyone gets excited for the game. There are lots of things going on--parties, events, speakers/lectures. Frats and sororities are kind of important but I'd rather ignore them. There are some things to do off campus as well such as go to the movies or the mall.

No, we dont really leave dorm rooms open. Met most friends in class. If I'm awake at 2AM on Tues, probably procrastinating or going out to the bar. People party like every Thurs. The Greek Life at this school is not as big as it is at other schools. Off campus - shopping, going to Wal-Mart, hitting the beach. Hard to get off campus without a car. Public transportation sucks.

The most popular clubs on campus has to be fraternities and sororities. Athelitics are up and coming and hopefully will be a successful program. You meet most of the people you know from class or around your building. You can also meet people through your friends. Traditions at Stony Brook include the Roth Regatta and Spirit Week. You can watch movies on a Saturday and have fun.

Not involved in any groups whatsoever, and not a dormer so i dont know. i've met my friends and my boyfriends in my environmental classes. i dont want anyone in my life who doesn't care somewhat about the planet. and i'm not on campus enough to know about parties/hanging out/nondrinking events/sporting events/or any other listed question.

The community service club is incredibly popular. They have many events, and an enormous amount of members. In addition to this, our school has something called Humans v. Zombies. This is a club/game that includes anyone who wants to play. There are more than a thousand students who engage in this activity every year.

greek life seems big. dorm life is great only bcos we make it great. quality of services and facilities offered are ver very mediocre. ppl study a lot to get their grades. we work hard and play hard too. every weekend theres a party somewhere. thank god! off campus housing is ok too, but its easier to dorm.

Many clubs and organizations to join, so that can keep you occupied. I have recently succeeded in reactivating the national honor society, Alpha Epsilon Delta-The Preprofessional Health Honor society, which will not only have brilliant premeds, but any student pursuing for a career in the healthcare field.