Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Stony Brook is supposedly completely overpopulated by Asian students. People say that these are the smart people in the school, and there’s basically no point in competing with them because they run the place anyway. As a school in general, Stony Brook isn’t always given very much credit from the outside world because it’s just another Long Island school.

It's full of Asians! You can't walk around the campus for 20 seconds without running into one. Weekends are absolutely dead. Can get depressing at times. The campus looked like a prison, parts of it still does, but has greatly improved the past 3 years. Academically, it is reaching beyond and has a fast progressing. It's a good experience overall.

Stony Brook students are usually considered very smart, and very studious. I'm always proud to brag about what school I go to because I love to see people's reaction. It never gets old when people say 'that's a really good school'. But they also think it's a minority school, and always make jokes about it.

Stereotypes consist mostly about the overwhelmingly large Asian student population. The Asian community can make someone who doesn't speak an Asian language feel like they are living on another continent. Stereotypically only non-English speaking people stay on campus over the weekends.

I wasn't aware of any before attending, in fact I had never even been to Long Island. However, once I arrived and moved in, I quickly realized why Long Islanders have such a bad rep! Most of the student body was composed of them.

Some people think that nothing ever happens at Stony Brook and that it is a "suitcase" school where everyone goes home every weekend. Also, others have also described it as a party school or one where everyone is a science major.

Stereotypes about SBU - There's nothing to do on campus, mostly a commuter school, About SBU students - That they all cluster into groups (based on race) and are narrow-minded, people are unfriendly

That the school is huge, the dorms and classrooms are over-crowded, the buildings are old. On the plus side, the school has a good reputation, especially for the sciences.

Black people are always discriminated, always they are accused of stealing stuff. Indians are always considered smart, but the reality is, a few aren't.

The only real stereotype I've heard was that Stony students are all stoners. That since there's nothing around, everyone gets bored and does drugs.