Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

SBU is not for people who want everything done for them. The size of the school forces you to be independent. From studying abroad to picking your classes, you really have to be a self-starter. Moreover, there is a small artistic subculture at the school but there aren't very many arts classes. Though, the school places a lot of emphasis on appreciating different cultures, it is working to develop an art appreciation through various festivals and the newly formed Arts, Culture, Humanities undergraduate college. If art is your life, you may find SBU unfulfilling.

Someone who always needs something, other than studying, to do. The school is very academically focused (in part due to the large concentration of international students there for the sole purpose of getting a degree). Social activities are...a slowly evovling thing. Most kids go home or away on the weekend. Also, if you are from far away and do NOT have a car, think again. The campus is very rural and you need a car to get around and not feel trapped. There are buses and a train but it is more complicated than necessary sometimes.

People who are looking for a very strong student teacher relationship shouldn't attend this school. Basically, students go to lectures and learn most of it from reading on their own. Although, the professors are helpful at times, they don't have enough time to care for each student. To make up for it, they bring in TA's to take their place instead. Also, people who are looking for a school with school spirit shouldn't attend either. This school doesn't have much of a school spirit and on that subject, it's pretty much a dead area.

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; those who seek no improvement of of their academic success, or wish to start anew; this college is not for you; then again neither is any opportunity of greater education. Despite the peering reputation, Suffolk County Community College has an honorable hold on achievement. In faith I trusted them to feed the evergrowing mind of the Poet Scholar; in which allows a further progression of my entity.

Somebody who is not interested in focused study, whether it be science or business should not come to Stony Brook. Come prepared to work, but at the same time, its not the end of the world if you don't know what you want to do. The other type of person that should't come to Stony Brook is somebody who is looking to party, drink, or use drugs. Parties are abundant, but spending money to get off campus, and to even get alcohol is hard and expensive, and will distract you from your workload.

The kind of person who should attend this school is a very career-oriented person or a person who is very social. Two great things about my school are that the academic programs are very good and provide students the knowledge and experience necessary for their future career goals and aspirations. THe school is also very good with regards to social life, and meeting a lot of new friends. There are a lot of clubs and organizations to meet new people and obtain new connections.

A person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who isn't motivated. You need to be motivated to talk to you professors if you need help. You need to do your work; no one will remind you. You need to be motivated to find someting fun to do in your down time. It isn't a majorly difficult school, but you need to do a lot of the work. Teachers won't come looking for people who need help. You need to go to them and ask. The burden of learning is more on you.

Stony Brook is a school for students who are serious about their studies. It is an academically focused school.While there are activities on campus, most students go home on the weekends or are commuter students. It is not a university for students who are looking mainly for an active social life both during the week and on weekends, and whose focus isn't mainly their studies.

Students who are not open-minded to new ideas, racial diversity, or those who are looking for an easy grade. There is little tolerance here for prejudice (which seems like a paradox in itself.) Though this school may not be the most difficult school to do well in, it is still important to attend class, study, and do all the assignments required.

Anyone that is not a go-getter would have trouble here. There are lots of clubs, and with over 20,000 people attending how can someone not find friends? Nobody is going to come knock on your door or beg you to come to an event. Teachers are available, but only if you look for them. Everything is here but a passive person will not suceed.