Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

I'm learning this applies to most parts of life. Some of the people are quite frustrating. Stonybrook is an incredible academic institution with proven curricula for intense study, and is a perfect fit for hardworking and self motivated students. The academic environment encourages personal enrichment, so it's frustrating that not every shares that mindset. Some students complain that courses are hard, like they expect getting into college to immediately hand them a degree and get an important job in their desired field. I'm discouraged and frustrated by lack of ambition and laziness.

The weekends are dead, as the majority of students are commuters from surrounding Long Island area, or from the city. The only social scene are bars and fraternity/sorority parties that involve alcohol. The food is expensive and not of the corresponding quality, according to the price. Without a car, access to the malls, stores, drug stores, etc is very difficult, as the free campus buses only run on weekends to specific destinations, and the county buses are late and unreliable. There is no walking access to the retail and food store world off campus.

The most frustating thing about my college is its inactive student body. Very few people compared to more than 20,000 students take active pursuit in athletics. Most of the throng either prefers to be in their dorms or studying in the library. In addition to that, I would say that even though the school made an attempt to make mathematics less daunting by making Math Learning Center (tutoring center provided by Teacher's Assistants in campus), there is a problem in the availibilty of more TAs and half of them fail to come on time.

Its a big school. Its hard to know what's going on, especiallly on the weekends. Its also kind of hard to find food before noon on weekends. The majority of the campus leaves on the weekends, but its nice to have it quiet for a few days. You need to know where to look for activities and join clubs. Joining clubs wil make you experience at Stony Brook very fulfilling. All in all, the campus can be quite dead, if you don't know where to look.

I think the most frustrating thing is that as a physics/mathematics major alot of the students and professors are somewhat pretentious which makes someone feel ashamed of they don't understand a certain concept. I feel discouraged from attending extra help sessions (when they are infrequently offered) because of this. The "help rooms" are over crowded and understaffed which makes them a waste of time.

The campus is very large, and the health professions side of the campus is very far and isolated from the undergraduate and graduate programs side. The social activities are not on the same part of the campus, so if you're a health sciences student, you basically are isolated from students and activities in other academic focus areas than health science.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is a ghost town on weekends. Many of the students live two hours by train away from campus and we have the Long Island Rail Road in our school so it is easily accessible for people to go home on the weekends. People have to stop going home on the weekends so there is more of a social life on campus.

The most frustrating thing about stony brook is the fact that if you don't drive or know someone who does drive it'll be hard for you to get around outside of campus for groceries, shopping, and acticities outside of caompus. we do have the LIRR stop right at our camops. But, in order to go to the movies, mall, etc. you definitely need a car.

Stony Brook is a very large school, which mean very large lecture hall classes. It is sometimes frustrating to be in such a large class because you don't get as much individualized instruction. Also, you don't get to meet and interact with your classmates as much in a large lecture than in a small class.

The transportation is horrible. Buses are never on time and are completely unreliable. The absolute worse part is the amount of cuts to all programs except science and engineering majors. Although the budget cuts have hit everyone hard, the only ones suffering are the social sciences.