Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

This campus is very diverse. I don't think you will find any place with such a wide variety of students. There are people of every race, sexual orientation, religion, and background. At Stony Brook, you find people interested in the things YOU are interested in, because there are so many groups and clubs to take part in. Clubs range from ethnic clubs, a very accepting LGBTA , activist groups, and activity groups such as Archery, Capoiera, and Anime. Theres something here for everyone, but it requires people to be involved. And if you are involved, friends are guaranteed.

If you're going for science or research science, or medical this school will prepare you with internships and good professors. There are plenty of extra curricular activities and if you don't like them, you can make your own as long as you're approved (pretty easy). There's also our own radio station. By car, we're 5 minutes away from Stony Brook Hospital, 10 minutes away from Smithhaven mall, 20 min away from a small inlet beach, and 20 minutes away from historical Port Jefferson (lots of bars, resturaunts and little shops). Train station on campus.

While many colleges provide quality education, I am passionate about Stony Brook University because of the "Newsroom of the Future" classrooms and programs it holds for aspiring journalists. It truly is dedicated towards helping students reach their full potential while pursing their dreams. The renowned professors in the program are helpful and guide students through their experience and knowledge. The classrooms hold the best technology for students to work with and truly capture the essence of a true journalist's future career.

Stony Brook has a diversity that you'll be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. We have students that come from all over the world; you'll hear 20 different languages being spoken just walking across campus. I come from a small one-stoplight town where, though the nearby military base creates an influx of new people every now and then, I have known my classmates all my life. I had no problem transitioning to such a big school though, because SBU res life has made sure that no student gets lost in the bustle of the big campus.

The best thing about my college is that the student body makes up a small community. We dorm and go to class in a comfortable, friendly environment we call our own. Faculty and staff make themselves accessible to provide help and advice and my classmates are people I find myself calling "friends" as the semester goes on. This campus has become my second home over the past three to four years and I value all that I learned and people I have met throughout that time. College is one of the best stages of my life.

My school has great research opportunities, with alot of focus being on working on projects with professors. As a freshmen I worked in a psychology lab and as a sophomore I started working for my biopsychology professor on her memory experiment. Everyone has the ability to join a lab if they choose. The class are a little large, but they are taught by experts in the field and alot of outside help is available. Bigger classes have resitations to get a small tutor student ratio.

My school is really diverse. I've never met so many exchange students (both foreign and within the USA) in so many majors. We have everything from Theatre to Physics, from Studio Art to BioChem. If you like something, there is a place for you. We have a Fencing Club, a Science Fiction Forum, a LGBTA alliance, and so much more. We also have a thriving athletics program and a very talented marching band! If you can think of it, Stony Brook has a club for it.

So, okay. This school is rather large. But that's the good part about it. There are so many people to get to know that you never have to worry about not getting along with someone. You always have the ability to get to know someone new, from somewhere new. Another good part about this schools size is that they offer so many different majors. If you come here, you will never feel trapped into one major. And besides. Did I mention it was really inexpensive?

The best thing about Stony Brook is the great academics, especially in the sciences, and the willingness of the professors to help. I enjoy all of my classes because they are interesting and well taught. The professors teach in a way to help students actually understand instead of memorize. Also, all of the slides are online for further review. Lastly, they're always available during office hours or by email.

The education programs, the faculty and staff. The people are very nice and friendly; both the professors and the students. Professors are very openend to offering academic assistance to students who need it. The Professors really do seem to care about the students and their success and they are very open to helping all the students in whatever they may need academically.